C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Simple facts about the new Z06...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 01:56 PM
db2012gs
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Simple facts about the new Z06...

I may be somewhat new to the Corvette Forum, but I am not new to Corvettes, my first being a 69 vert. I have owned 8 so far and I am an enthusiast. I came to this forum to be among fellow enthusiasts. However I am somewhat dissapointed that very few people seem to understand the history of the car.
Starting in 1953, they set out to make a road racing capable car. In 1963, the first year for the C2, a corvette had independent rear suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes, dual exhaust, etc. That's impressive for a 1963 vehicle! Why the independent rear suspension? It wasn't for drag racing!
So the simple fact is...the new Z06 is not a drag race car!!! It is a track car!!! That was what it was built for...it is purpose built, and it is very good at what it was intended to be good at.
Certainly all of you performance car enthusiasts understand the difference between a road race car and a drag car? Different suspension setup, tires, gear ratios, aerodynamics...just to name a few.
So if you set up a car to dominate on the track, it won't at the drag strip. If you set it up to dominate at the drag strip, it won't on the track. You can make a car that compromises to be good at both, but it becomes a jack of all trades and master of none, and therefore dominates in neither competition.
Lets exaggerate for a moment, take a Formula 1 car and a Funny Car...two extremes. neither can do what the other can, but both dominate in their area of purpose.
So just because they started making Corvettes with high hp and great acceleration, people started drag racing and street racing them. They are capable of fast times in a straight line, but that was never the direction the Corvette engineers have taken in the development of the car. And their purpose for the car HAS NOT changed since 1953! Do your homework and read up on the full history and development of the car. It has always been a road racing car. If you want to drag race or do roll ons on the highway, then don't complain about the performance in that area! If you get beat on the track by a lesser car, then whine and complain that GM missed the mark.
So everyone please get a grip and come to terms with the true intent and design development of the Corvette. It is truely an engineering marvel and the American icon for sports cars. The new Z06 is in no way a failure, but a success, because it WILL dominate in the area of motorsports competition it was built to do so in. It is purpose built!!!
If you want to drag race buy a Camaro, Mustang, Hellcat, etc.

Last edited by db2012gs; 01-07-2015 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:59 PM
harley2
Melting Slicks

Received 1,340 Likes on 591 Posts

HELLO!!
Old 01-07-2015, 02:03 PM
Jet Stream Blue Z06
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

with OP
Old 01-07-2015, 02:09 PM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A handful of non-C7 owners (probably less than 10 people) are the only ones questioning the cred of the new Z. What is causing the problem is the endless appetite in this forum to take their bait. It's troll heaven here.

I agree with everything the OP has said, but it would be nice to see an end to the defensive posts trying to talk since into the heads of people who for any number of reasons have no intention of ever buying the car.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:12 PM
thegeneral101
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I own a C7 Z06, and agree with the OP. I'm also 27 but do research for a living and filly appreciate the heritage of the Corvette. Looking forward to how it does against the 650s and Nismo. So far it sounds like its a track monster. Where did all of the overheating after 4 lap talk go? Sounds like in real world application its doing fine around the track. Time will tell.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:42 PM
emericr
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the lesson in history but not sure it is that relevant related to the commotion on the Z06.
I agree there is way too much drama on the forum lately and the Z06 is not a failure.
However it is truly disappointing and disheartening that the new Z is falling behind its competition above 100mph. A newer model should not be inferior to an older version.
As pointed by another forum member Achmed who pulled some historic C&D test data and calculated 100 to 150 mph roll times for these cars:
C6ZR1: 9.1
C6Z06: 9.4
911 Turbo S: 10.0
SRT Viper: 10.2
GTR: 10.6
C7Z: 11.0
911S: 13.1
Old 01-07-2015, 02:48 PM
DerStig
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by emericr
Thanks for the lesson in history but not sure it is that relevant related to the commotion on the Z06.
I agree there is way too much drama on the forum lately and the Z06 is not a failure.
However it is truly disappointing and disheartening that the new Z is falling behind its competition above 100mph. A newer model should not be inferior to an older version.
As pointed by another forum member Achmed who pulled some historic C&D test data and calculated 100 to 150 mph roll times for these cars:
We should make that a sticky on this forum.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:49 PM
euson2
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You missed the whole point of the OP. Bet you have never tracked a car.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:50 PM
db2012gs
Burning Brakes

You still don't get it do you?
Their focus was not on dominating 100 to 150 mph acceleration. It was to post fast lap times! It's the whole package...you know...synergy. So why argue stats, unless it's lap times, otherwise it's a waste of everyone's time.
If you want to be dissapointed, then talk about weight reduction. I will agree with you on that.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:50 PM
ALLANB
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well don't think this matters at all on the street and not sure about the track either.
Roll racing of course is highly illegal and getting caught at 100 plus speeds is not going to be very pleasant with cars impounded probably and huge fines and all that . So much rather have a car that is quick zero to 60, quick in the 1/4 mile and while top speed is nice too not that much chance to use that much on public roads . For track use the car still seems very capable. So can live with it not being the best in the 100 to 140 mph category. And if really cared would likely do some mods to it. Warranty be damned.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:51 PM
DerStig
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by db2012gs
Their focus was not on dominating 100 to 150 mph acceleration. It was to post fast lap times! It's the whole package...you know...synergy. So why argue stats, unless it's lap times, otherwise it's a waste of everyone's time.
If you want to be dissapointed, then talk about weight reduction. I will agree with you on that.
We are going to see about the track when Randy compares Z06 against Nismo and 650S.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:59 PM
db2012gs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DerStig
We are going to see about the track when Randy compares Z06 against Nismo and 650S.
Looking forward to it!
Whether it posts the fastest times or not will never change the fact that it is purpose built. I predict it will be very competitive and that's really all one can hope for. World dominance is not the goal...lol.

Last edited by db2012gs; 01-07-2015 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:02 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Good post. Funny how most overlook its content.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:06 PM
DLC7
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

I may be somewhat new to the Corvette Forum, but I am not new to Corvettes, my first being a 69 vert. I have owned 8 so far and I am an enthusiast. I came to this forum to be among fellow enthusiasts. However I am somewhat dissapointed that very few people seem to understand the history of the car.
Starting in 1953, they set out to make a road racing capable car. In 1963, the first year for the C2, a corvette had independent rear suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes, dual exhaust, etc. That's impressive for a 1963 vehicle! Why the independent rear suspension? It wasn't for drag racing!
So the simple fact is...the new Z06 is not a drag race car!!! It is a track car!!! That was what it was built for...it is purpose built, and it is very good at what it was intended to be good at.
Certainly all of you performance car enthusiasts understand the difference between a road race car and a drag car? Different suspension setup, tires, gear ratios, aerodynamics...just to name a few.
So if you set up a car to dominate on the track, it won't at the drag strip. If you set it up to dominate at the drag strip, it won't on the track. You can make a car that compromises to be good at both, but it becomes a jack of all trades and master of none, and therefore dominates in neither competition.
Lets exaggerate for a moment, take a Formula 1 car and a Funny Car...two extremes. neither can do what the other can, but both dominate in their area of purpose.
So just because they started making Corvettes with high hp and great acceleration, people starting drag racing and street racing them. They are capable of fast times in a straight line, but that was never the direction the Corvette engineers have taken in the development of the car. And their purpose for the car HAS NOT changed since 1953! Do your homework and read up on the full history and development of the car. It has always been a road racing car. If you want to drag race or do roll ons on the highway, then don't complain about the performance in that area! If you get beat on the track by a lesser car, then whine and complain that GM missed the mark.
So everyone please get a grip and come to terms with the true intent and design development of the Corvette. It is truely an engineering marvel and the American icon for sports cars. The new Z06 is in no way a failure, but a success, because it WILL dominate in the area of motorsports competition it was built to do so in. It is purpose built!!!
If you want to drag race buy a Camaro, Mustang, Hellcat, etc.

Its a bummer you had to explain the obvious.....but it was apparently necessary......

Good Post!
Old 01-07-2015, 03:12 PM
x88
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

This
Old 01-07-2015, 03:21 PM
db2012gs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
Good post. Funny how most overlook its content.
Thanks, but it seems no matter what you say, some people have their own agenda and therefore hijack a thread with unrelevant and off topic info...sigh!
Old 01-07-2015, 03:25 PM
db2012gs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by The_Ruski_Driver
This
I think the key word is that another forum member CALCULATED that data...not actual data. And second, it doesn't matter if it dominates in the 100 - 150 mph acceleration if it can post better track times. We will see in due time when more ACTUAL data is available. In the interim, is too much to ask that we all like the car and give it a fair chance?

Get notified of new replies

To Simple facts about the new Z06...

Old 01-07-2015, 03:33 PM
emericr
Racer

Really, looks like you have never been passed on the straights on a race track like Sebring where 100-150mph acceleration is key to passing and posting a better time...
Originally Posted by euson2
You missed the whole point of the OP. Bet you have never tracked a car.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:35 PM
therealviper
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Of course the real weight of the Mc P1 is 3500(lied by 300 lbs) and La Ferrari 3800( lied by 700 lbs)...

So maybe a well equipped car , with all the required safety, that is not single purpose built, is going to be now 3500Lbs , even with lots of composites..
Old 01-07-2015, 03:38 PM
emericr
Racer

Not sure which track you race on but most of the ones where I live (Florida), acceleration past 100mph is a major factor.
If it can corner better than the competition but get caught up on the straights, how is that the whole package???

Quick Reply: Simple facts about the new Z06...