C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Tadge Comments on Nurburgring and VIR

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 10:35 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 221 Posts

Default Tadge Comments on Nurburgring and VIR

Old 01-07-2015, 10:43 PM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
2015 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by CaryBob
"Post Left Intentionally Blank"
Old 01-07-2015, 10:45 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I'll throw this here in the mean time till that gets resolved. Not sure if this a repost. Was busy today.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:53 PM
qlawson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe this is the intended video
Old 01-07-2015, 10:56 PM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 876 Likes on 447 Posts

Thanks OP, should clear up some stuff regarding times for the ring. I would love to hear Jim's take on the lap. That car is a beast!
Old 01-07-2015, 10:57 PM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 876 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by phantasms
I'll throw this here in the mean time till that gets resolved. Not sure if this a repost. Was busy today.

Corvette Z06 Performance Data Recorder at Virginia International Raceway - YouTube
Thanks Gene, yeah it's been posted but buried in my VIR thread somewhere around page 11/12.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:03 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by keagan
Thanks Gene, yeah it's been posted but buried in my VIR thread somewhere around page 11/12.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:04 PM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
2015 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by qlawson
I believe this is the intended video
Old 01-07-2015, 11:13 PM
qlawson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And apparently a couple more videos from his presentation

Old 01-07-2015, 11:40 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

Couple things:
VIR was repaved and that accounts for 2 sec
the new cup tires account for the other 2 sec (per michelin testing)
but shhhh don't tell him that lol
Old 01-08-2015, 12:56 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by mirage2991
Couple things:
VIR was repaved and that accounts for 2 sec
the new cup tires account for the other 2 sec (per michelin testing)
but shhhh don't tell him that lol
Actually Tadge says that in the first video..........

signed

- new Z07 fanboy

P.S. the tires seems to be the bomb. I remember reading a post somewhere where a michelin rep said the new mpsc were as fast or faster than R6. I chalked it up to sales tactics. But this car is fast in every corner, ones where aero does next to nothing. The tires are glue.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:00 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by heavychevy
P.S. the tires seems to be the bomb. I remember reading a post somewhere where a michelin rep said the new mpsc were as fast or faster than R6. I chalked it up to sales tactics. But this car is fast in every corner, ones where aero does next to nothing. The tires are glue.
I would seriously have to see the data on this.
S.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:29 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

very nice what was the event that these were shot at?
Old 01-08-2015, 07:28 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,791 Likes on 1,140 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by dvandentop
very nice what was the event that these were shot at?
This was the media event that I hinted was going to happen. The journalists and audience members were told some other interesting thing about the car as it compares to the previous gen. But apparently no one has seen fit to print it or share it yet. Ah well.

And for anyone that thinks a VIR repaving and widening is going to be good for two whole seconds, you're sadly mistaken. And living in some sort of imaginary world. Two seconds, even on that track, is an eternity. It may make a difference in fractions of a second, but not whole seconds. Further, using the wider parts of the corners significantly upsets the car; just watch as Mero crosses the old gators to make use of the wider track in a couple of those corners. The car heaves quite dramatically.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:42 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Snorman
I would seriously have to see the data on this.
S.
I agree, but it's hard to argue with the braking distances and cornering speeds this car makes.

You just don't set production car records (C&D) in braking distances at 3500+ lbs without massive grip. Which ultimately boils down to the tires.

I just don't see sustained 1.2 lateral G and 128 ft 70-0 on anything less than phenomenal tires.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:59 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jvp
This was the media event that I hinted was going to happen. The journalists and audience members were told some other interesting thing about the car as it compares to the previous gen. But apparently no one has seen fit to print it or share it yet. Ah well.

And for anyone that thinks a VIR repaving and widening is going to be good for two whole seconds, you're sadly mistaken. And living in some sort of imaginary world. Two seconds, even on that track, is an eternity. It may make a difference in fractions of a second, but not whole seconds. Further, using the wider parts of the corners significantly upsets the car; just watch as Mero crosses the old gators to make use of the wider track in a couple of those corners. The car heaves quite dramatically.

The track is undoubtedly 2+ seconds quicker. Complete fact. You underestimate a good surface vs an old crusty one. Turn 1 used to be like ice, especially in the braking zone. It was easy to miss or even go off there. Wider nascar and oak tree leading onto the straight are huge, I think wider entry to esses too.

Using the bumps does not upset the car much, it looks worse than it is, but you can absolutely stay in it. The extra MPH through the corner is most certainly worth it.

Last edited by heavychevy; 01-08-2015 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:59 AM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

I think this two second Cup2 stuff is mixing up info provided by Michelin saying the 997 GT3 was 1.8 seconds quicker on Cup2, which have specific construction for the GT3. Just because a GT3 1.8 quicker doesn't mean the Corvette is.

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...2/tire-details

Get notified of new replies

To Tadge Comments on Nurburgring and VIR

Old 01-08-2015, 08:01 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp

+1

You understand that this "new" math is coming from the C7 Z06 lap time being 4 seconds faster than the C6 ZR1....so, you give the new Cups credit for 2 seconds a lap and the re-paving 2 seconds a lap and BINGO, the C7Z06 is no faster than the C6 ZR1.

Jimmy
Old 01-08-2015, 08:03 AM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

Originally Posted by heavychevy
The track is undoubtedly 2+ seconds quicker. Complete fact.
I thought only about 30 percent of VIR was widened/repaved, not the whole track?
Old 01-08-2015, 08:07 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DREAMERAK
I thought only about 30 percent of VIR was widened/repaved, not the whole track?
All of the full track was repaved. Only the middle section of the grand course was not. The full course itself is worth 2+ seconds. The grand course uses all of the full course where time would be gained.

The full course is 3.2 miles, the grand course is 4.2 miles. So there is an additional mile of non-repave surface.

Only a few parts were widened which may be where the 30% came from.

Originally Posted by DREAMERAK
I think this two second Cup2 stuff is mixing up info provided by Michelin saying the 997 GT3 was 1.8 seconds quicker on Cup2, which have specific construction for the GT3. Just because a GT3 1.8 quicker doesn't mean the Corvette is.

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...2/tire-details
It's hard to say. Porsche's MPSC spec has always been slower than the off the shelf MPSC. It has additional grooves for rain channeling and a slightly harder compound as it's always raining or cold in Europe. And OTS MPSC are almost useless in either. there are countless accounts of guys switching from N Spec (Porsche spec) MPSC to NT01 or R888 and going faster. And neither are as fast as true MPSC. If Porsche were less conservative on the compound this time around the tire could have picked up substantial time.

However, the braking G's and cornering speeds are still indicative of an extremely grippy tire. Not to mention real world reports of time gained from switching to MPSC 2 from MPSC on Corvettes. I only saw the last part posted though, can't confirm one way or the other.

Last edited by heavychevy; 01-08-2015 at 08:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Tadge Comments on Nurburgring and VIR