C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Have Wheel locks Outlived Their Usefulness?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 06:06 PM
dwward
Jukebox Graduate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Have Wheel locks Outlived Their Usefulness?

With my new Z arriving a few short weeks, I've been doing a lot of thinking and researching on various necessary mods, including wheel locks.

Wheel locks are very popular here and many install the Gorilla locks or "system" as a matter of routine. My initial reaction was to do the same and I was just seconds from ordering the 'system' from Amazon. But having never had wheel locks before, I starting to think seriously about the need for them and if I did need them, was 'the system' the best.

I've now decided I don't need them.

Some of my rational is subjective and based upon my circumstances: My Z will be in covered underground parking at home and at work. It will not sit nights out on the street or open parking lot.

I've never had wheel locks before (even when my cars were parked out a night) and neither I nor anyone I know has ever had their wheels stolen. While this was a popular crime in the 80s, it's much less common now outside of the super cities. And I live in the City of Saint Louis. When I decided to forgo a ZR51 for a Z06, I feel in love with the pearl nickle wheels and abandoned plans for HRE wheels with new tires. Factory corvette wheels are not a hot item on the black market.

These reasons alone were still not enough to convince me. I bought my car to drive it and will do so as soon as my beloved Cardinal break camp in the spring until immediately following the Veteran's Day parade in November. I will driving it to and from work, and on all errands that allow a 2 seater to do the job. I will take road trips with my corvette club. This means sitting out on parking lots including overnight on motel lots on road trips.

Not wanting to find my car on blocks in the lot of the Super 8 in East Jesus Utah, I kept researching.

Thanks to Google, it wasn't hard to learned that about the only ones slowed down in removing tires with wheel locks are the local tire store. There are a lot of videos on YouTube making short work of the Gorilla system. https://www.google.com/search?q=yout...l+lock+removal

There are also reports of the new locks with the rotating sleeve being defeated by filling them with epoxy or J-B Weld and then getting them off. Here is one tale of woe: Amazon.com: T. Landato's review of Gorilla Automotive 61641 Acorn Gorilla Gua... If you're curios exactly how this works, PM me and I'll tell you how to do it.

I read in the manual that the Z is equipped with an alarm that sounds when the car is jacked up which was confirmed by "RedC7" in another thread in another forum,
Originally Posted by Redc7
Just another thing I discovered when jacking the car up it did set off the car alarm. Good to know if someone is trying to steal your wheels.
The obvious response to all of this is that nothing is perfect and any of the widely available locking systems are inexpensive and can't hurt. And that's true enough except that hiding the key in the car so it's always with you but in a place that is hard to find AND remembering that place in 2 years when you have a flat or need new tires is a pain. I know you guys with the Z07 package will be buying new tires with every oil change so you will easily remember the location of the key, but I digress,.....

Like all things, YMMV. If I had expensive aftermarket wheels or my car sat out nights in NYC, Chicago, LA or Houston I'd get the
rotating sleeve locks rotating sleeve locks
, why not?

But for me, and I suspect the vast majority all the members here whose cars sleep in suburban garages or outside of the largest American cities, I don't think the inconvenience is really justified. I think the wheel locks are a solution in search of a problem.

Discuss,.....
Old 01-17-2015, 06:40 PM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Simple for me....I wanted black lug nuts for my black wheels.
Answer....Gorilla locking lugs. Killed two birds with one buy!
The fact that they lock was not all that important as there are ways to counter that as you pointed out.
But for $54 on Amazon my black lugs are ready once I receive my Z06.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:07 PM
dcher
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBSZ06
Simple for me....I wanted black lug nuts for my black wheels.
Answer....Gorilla locking lugs. Killed two birds with one buy!
The fact that they lock was not all that important as there are ways to counter that as you pointed out.
But for $54 on Amazon my black lugs are ready once I receive my Z06.

great idea. I would like to also order a set of these. Which part number did you order? I have black wheels on my car which should arrive in a few weeks and definitely believe in locking lug nuts.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:16 PM
Redc8z06
Melting Slicks

Received 1,566 Likes on 860 Posts

Also note the act of jacking up your car will set off the car alarm.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:21 PM
WELEPRO
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 24 Posts

I work in the tire industry, and can say that wheel locks are more of a pain than they're worth. Many new cars still come with them, but a good majority of the owners don't know anything about them or where the key is. Thus, it slows the service part down....but more importantly can become an issue if they're on the side of the road with a flat. We can get them off fairly easily without the key, but it would be tough on the average joe on the side of the interstate with a flat tire.

I'd say go without.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:34 PM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

A low profile jack is required to get a Z up. I have no idea which jack is favored among the savvy thieves. Unless said thieves have experience lifting vettes, the damage to the body and side skirts could be a lot more expensive than the wheels. For those reasons, I've never worried about locks on my vettes.

Admittedly, I don't often drive expensive vehicles in areas that leave me feeling uncomfortable. Frankly, I'd be more concerned for my well-being than my car if the area is that seedy.

Having said this, Bob's idea with the black locking lugs is a good one.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:46 PM
Chevy Performance
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by WELEPRO
[...] and can say that wheel locks are more of a pain than they're worth.

If somebody wants your wheels bad enough there are plenty of sockets on the market to defeat locks. Plus they don't look good.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:52 PM
petecaballero
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You make some interesting and valid points. I think where you live has a lot to do with the need. In my case, even in an upper class gated community, the guy down the street from me, an FBI agent, got the wheels stolen from his escalade. Theives didn't even bring blocks. They took some of the pavers right from his driveway and left his truck on them.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:50 AM
Coc5
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Performance

If somebody wants your wheels bad enough there are plenty of sockets on the market to defeat locks. Plus they don't look good.
Absolutely. Every wheel lock I have ever removed was done just by driving a 12 point socket over it. Not a problem.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:13 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by dcher
great idea. I would like to also order a set of these. Which part number did you order? I have black wheels on my car which should arrive in a few weeks and definitely believe in locking lug nuts.

Amazon.com: Gorilla Automotive 71633NBC "The System" Acorn Black Chrome Wheel Locks (12mm x 1.50 Thread Size) - For 5 Lug Wheels: Automotive Amazon.com: Gorilla Automotive 71633NBC "The System" Acorn Black Chrome Wheel Locks (12mm x 1.50 Thread Size) - For 5 Lug Wheels: Automotive
Old 01-18-2015, 03:05 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

People who know what they are doing and come prepared to steel your wheels aren't even slowed by wheel locks. They are easily defeated and you can even go online and purchase the tool kits that let you remove them with ease. They are a waste of money.

Bill
Old 01-18-2015, 03:19 PM
Gonzo
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

Yes
Old 01-18-2015, 03:27 PM
racerx3317
Drifting

Received 207 Likes on 161 Posts

Totally useless. Bought my car with locks on that didnt have the key. (I know, I know!)Got a reverse socket and got them right off.

Get notified of new replies

To Have Wheel locks Outlived Their Usefulness?

Quick Reply: Have Wheel locks Outlived Their Usefulness?