C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Track vs Sport on Street

Old 02-01-2015, 12:05 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

Default Track vs Sport on Street

Does anybody drive on the street in Track mode? Do you notice any real differences between Sport and Track? I know I can change the exhaust to sound however I want, just wondering if there is any drawback to driving in Track mode on the street. I don't care about the ride quality.

Your thoughts and suggestions?
Old 02-01-2015, 12:28 PM
Cyclone09Z06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JackTripper
Does anybody drive on the street in Track mode? Do you notice any real differences between Sport and Track? I know I can change the exhaust to sound however I want, just wondering if there is any drawback to driving in Track mode on the street. I don't care about the ride quality.

Your thoughts and suggestions?
I dive in track mode/race setting on my Sunday morning rides as I am still feeling the car out. With that said it is about as close to a dedicated track car as you can get and therefore it will beat you out of the car on rough roads. The steering input is very stiff so if you do this make sure you hang on to the wheel as the car "tracks the seams in the road". I also need to let you know that I run my track alignment so I have zero toe in the front.

The sport mode is a lot softer and keeps about the same steering input, maybe just a bit softer. It is my understanding that you do not have full power in sport mode, I believe this to be true but only have seat of the pants as gauge.

The touring mode is superb for long drives and really tames the car
Old 02-01-2015, 12:37 PM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 294 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyclone09Z06
I dive in track mode/race setting on my Sunday morning rides as I am still feeling the car out. With that said it is about as close to a dedicated track car as you can get and therefore it will beat you out of the car on rough roads. The steering input is very stiff so if you do this make sure you hang on to the wheel as the car "tracks the seams in the road". I also need to let you know that I run my track alignment so I have zero toe in the front.

The sport mode is a lot softer and keeps about the same steering input, maybe just a bit softer. It is my understanding that you do not have full power in sport mode, I believe this to be true but only have seat of the pants as gauge.

The touring mode is superb for long drives and really tames the car
I don't believe it is down in power in sport Vs. track, but the throttle response is softer or slower in sport. I do know that the car will foam your bladder on bad roads in track mode.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:41 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

FWIW I keep the exhaust always in track, steering always in sport, and roll with weather setting until the tires warm up and then I go Track....unless, as said above, I need to pee.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:57 PM
Kingspoke
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

In terms of ride quality, there is a very distinct difference between track (rides like a truck) and sport which is just perfect for me. I have my exhaust and gauges (HUD & DIC) set to track, but I'm in the sport mode suspension & steering.

Last edited by Kingspoke; 02-02-2015 at 02:15 AM. Reason: add steering
Old 02-01-2015, 01:29 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

So, the throttle response is much more responsive in track? Feels more powerful? I have not tried it yet, it's raining until Wednesday.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:04 PM
JMB
Melting Slicks

Received 449 Likes on 254 Posts

but the throttle response is softer or slower in sport
Where is this documented? I've been through the 2015 Z06 OEM tuning files and I don't find any multipliers or algorithms that change throttle sensitivity based on track mode selection and I would be very surprised that the BCM has the ability to do this.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:04 PM
pmzangag
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Throttle response is the same in sport and track

From the owners manual:
Throttle Progression Weather Normal Normal Sport Sport (Modes: WEATHER ECO TOUR SPORT TRACK)

Last edited by pmzangag; 02-01-2015 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:18 AM
Tine
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Spring Mountain warned against using Track Mode on the street to avoid the risk of wheel damage. Sport Mode w/ Track Exhaust is perfect.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:27 AM
Hot Rod Todd
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

You guys must have some really nice roads (unlike in Iowa). There is no way I could drive my Z51 around in track mode all the time, I'd end up breaking something (and need a back adjustment). It's just too stiff for any kind of road bumps. The Z06 will be even stiffer from what I hear.

Even if you do have smooth roads for the most part, if you do happen to hit the only pot hole in the county and you're in track mode, there is a much greater chance that you could damage a wheel or the suspension.

I found myself driving in Sport mode most of the time, and when I'd hit a rough patch of road I'd even drop it into tour. It's such a quick switch of the **** that I'd move between modes often as needed.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:06 PM
JMB
Melting Slicks

Received 449 Likes on 254 Posts

Spring Mountain warned against using Track Mode on the street to avoid the risk of wheel damage
Sound advice! I bent one of my front wheels on my C6Z06 by hitting a not so big pothole in the road!
Old 02-03-2015, 04:13 PM
C7_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

I mostly like to drive in Sport mode with an occasional change to Tour mode when softer suspension damping is needed (i.e. bad roads, etc...). I use Track mode on public roads when spirited driving calls for it but only when the road is smooth or well-paved.

I keep the instrumentation set at "Link to Drive Mode" so when I toggle between modes, the center display also changes to the corresponding mode.

As for the exhaust, I usually leave it at "Auto" select so again whatever driving mode I'm in, it'll also correspond.

These capabilities are one of the best features and options on the C7!
Old 02-03-2015, 05:17 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

I started doing this setup:

Weather Mode until warm
Sport Mode with Track Display and Track Exhaust
Tour Mode with Stealth Exhaust when the wife is in the car.
Never used Eco Mode and don't plan to.

I just love the Track Display. Really cool.

Get notified of new replies

To Track vs Sport on Street

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Track vs Sport on Street