C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Another Z06 review

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 01:01 PM
Redc8z06
Melting Slicks

Received 1,567 Likes on 861 Posts

Default Another Z06 review

Quote Originally Posted by Boston.com
Chevy’s Corvette Z06 Is a Civilized Yet Thrilling Supercar

BEAUTIFUL MACHINE: The 2015 Corvette Z06 is a high-performance supercar that offers the civility of a luxury coupe.
In the past six months, I’ve had the opportunity to drive some incredibly fast cars including the Ferrari F12 Berlinetta, the Dodge Challenger Hellcat, and the Dodge Charger Hellcat. The 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 blows them all away.

And this from a guy who, until the last generation, didn’t particularly like Corvettes. I found them uncomfortable to drive and lacking in any finesse on the open road.

Granted, that put me in a small minority. But now I’m an enthusiast after spending track and on-road time with the 2015 Corvette Z06 outside of Las Vegas, Nevada. Chevrolet has created the best American supercar on the road (perhaps until the new Ford GT hits the pavement in 2016).

This Corvette Z06 is equipped with a new LT4 supercharged 6.2-liter V-8 engine with direct injection, Active Fuel Management (also called cylinder deactivation), and continuously variable valve timing that is certified at 650 horsepower and 650 lb-ft of torque. With the eight-speed, paddle-shift automatic, it can hit 60 miles per hour in 2.95 seconds. It reaches 60 mph at 3.2 seconds with the standard, seven-speed manual.

The seven-speed manual incorporates rev-matching technology for upshifts and downshifts. This driver-selectable feature is engaged via steering wheel paddles. The seven-speed is used with a new dual-mass flywheel and dual-disc clutch, which deliver greater shift quality and feel through lower inertia. Yet, for fuel efficiency you can still shift from 1st to 4th gear. Yes, I just discussed fuel efficiency in a review of a Corvette Z06.

By the way, fuel economy for the manual transmission is rated at 15-mpg city and 22-mpg highway. The automatic is rated at 13-mpg city and 21-mpg highway. You’ll pay a gas guzzler tax of $1300 on the automatic but not the standard.

Here comes a heretical statement: the gas guzzler tax is the only reason to buy the Z06 with the manual transmission. The automatic is demonstrably better—especially on the track. Downshifts were spot on and acceleration out of the curves was mind blowing.

Handling and braking are also impressive. The Z06 can stop from 60 mph in 99 feet. Double-digit stopping distance is almost unheard of and it comes thanks to massive Brembo brakes with two-piece steel rotors.

The Corvette Z06 also features a smart electronic limited-slip differential. It is standard on the Z06 to make the most of the torque split between the rear wheels. According to Chevy, the system features a hydraulically actuated clutch that can infinitely vary clutch engagement and respond from open to full engagement in tenths of a second. It shifts torque based on a unique algorithm that factors in vehicle speed, steering input, and throttle position to improve steering feel, handling balance, and traction.

Corvette notches up the excitement with the Z07 track package, which adds $7995 to the starting price of $78,995. The automaker adds adjustable front and rear aero components for aerodynamic downforce, Michelin Pilot Super Sport Cup tires for enhanced grip, and Brembo carbon ceramic-matrix brake rotors that improve braking performance and contribute to greater handling through reduced unsprung weight.

I drove the Z07 package around the track at Spring Mountain Motorsports in Pahrump, Nevada. It effortlessly handled the twists, turns, and straightaways. It somehow made me a much better driver than I am.

There’s even video proof thanks to an intoxicating feature on the Z06 called the performance data review. An option (packaged with navigation), it has received a lot of hype for recording parking valets who mistreat Corvettes but it’s really designed to capture track runs. It shows all types of information like speed, RPMs, steering angle, G forces, and track overview among other data.

The Z07 package also adds larger winglets to the front splitter, along with an adjustable, see-through center section on the rear spoiler for track use. With this package, the Corvette Z06 delivers the most aerodynamic downforce of any production car GM has tested.

As mentioned, this is a perfectly civil car to drive, even at low speeds. For some people it could be a legitimate commuter car (maybe not in New England during the winter but in warmer climes). It doesn’t have that restless leg syndrome feeling most sports cars do under 50 mph thanks to torque that can pull you comfortably from 15 mph to 50 mph without breaking a sweat.

One big problem? It’s easy to get north of the speed limit quickly. Fortunately law enforcement along the Nevada/California border outside of Parumph must have been on break. Otherwise this review would have had to been smuggled out of jail in a laundry truck.

THE BASICS

Price, base (with destination): $78,995 Fuel economy for 7-speed manual: 15-city/22-highway/18-combined Drivetrain: 6.2-liter, supercharged V8: Two-door supercar.

THE SPECIFICS

Horsepower: 650 @ 6,400 rpm Torque: 650 @ 3,600 rpm Overall length: 177.9 in. Wheelbase: 106.7 in. Height: 48.6 in. Width: 77.4 in. Curb weight: 3524 lbs.

THE GOOD

Outstanding power in a refined package: this is a supercar that could easily be a daily driver (when the weather’s above 40 degrees).

THE BAD

This Corvette is insanely fast with no place you can drive it legally in the United States that would ever tax its capabilities. You might be hard pressed to stretch it to its limits even on a track.

THE BOTTOM LINE

It’s not the most powerful American supercar but it’s by far the best overall.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:39 PM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Good review. Thanks, Red
Old 01-25-2015, 03:05 PM
G352C6
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

He left out the $1725 option for the Auto in addition to the $1300 GGT.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:19 PM
Blvdbrawler
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 137 Posts

Thanks for sharing! Cant wait to pick up mine!

Get notified of new replies

To Another Z06 review

Quick Reply: Another Z06 review