C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Terrible creaking from roof panel on Z07 coupe

Old 01-26-2015, 12:08 AM
Jeuprx-8
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Terrible creaking from roof panel on Z07 coupe

Hey guys,

I am not one to complain. I enjoy my z07 very much and have put around 400/miles on here since getting delivery 12/29. However, I have noticed a major issue with this retarted removable roof panel. Just to make it clear, I really wish this roof was permanent and could not be removed like my c6 z06. This frame flexes all the time and it does not feel as stiff as my c6 z06 with z07 parts.

Every time there is stess on the frame whether I am driving over my icy neighborhood road or pulling in my driveway, I hear creaking from the roof. High pitched creaks here and there and everywhere.

Is anyone else having this issue? The top is installed correctly, so do not ask that question. I really wish there was a way to permanently bolt this top on so the car is stronger as well as the creaks would go away. It is about 20*F here in Michigan so I am giving the car the benefit of the doubt that it is creaking from the cold, but I am an engineer and I know that when the temp is hot out ~ the noise is not going to magically go away.

Second question:
My Trans temp has never gone about 120*F in 400-miles of driving. Does anyone know what the Trans temp needs to be? I am trying to get to 500-miles to get the oil change before it snows again and I have to put the car back in storage with all the others. Will be bringing it to the dealer this week but I don't want them driving it and joyriding so I do not know if I want to mention the creaky roof.

I love the car aside from this. It feels heavier than my c6 z06/z07, but it is more luxurious. However, I am irritated that I have a creaky roof on a car I spent $113k cash on last month. There are many other cars I could have bought without a creaky roof.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:20 AM
Kingspoke
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Mine has a creaky roof as well. I've taken it off and on several times trying to diminish the creaking and groaning, but to no avail. It's very irritating. I naively thought Chevy had taken care of this problem.

My dealer offered to order another roof, but from talking to another service dept., very little can be done.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:30 AM
Jeuprx-8
Instructor

That is unfortunate.

I will have to find a way in the spring to permanently weld a roof panel in.

Any input on the Trans temp?
Old 01-26-2015, 12:43 AM
Arctic Blastoff
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeuprx-8
Hey guys,

I am not one to complain. I enjoy my z07 very much and have put around 400/miles on here since getting delivery 12/29. However, I have noticed a major issue with this retarted removable roof panel. Just to make it clear, I really wish this roof was permanent and could not be removed like my c6 z06. This frame flexes all the time and it does not feel as stiff as my c6 z06 with z07 parts.

Every time there is stess on the frame whether I am driving over my icy neighborhood road or pulling in my driveway, I hear creaking from the roof. High pitched creaks here and there and everywhere.

Is anyone else having this issue? The top is installed correctly, so do not ask that question. I really wish there was a way to permanently bolt this top on so the car is stronger as well as the creaks would go away. It is about 20*F here in Michigan so I am giving the car the benefit of the doubt that it is creaking from the cold, but I am an engineer and I know that when the temp is hot out ~ the noise is not going to magically go away.

Second question:
My Trans temp has never gone about 120*F in 400-miles of driving. Does anyone know what the Trans temp needs to be? I am trying to get to 500-miles to get the oil change before it snows again and I have to put the car back in storage with all the others. Will be bringing it to the dealer this week but I don't want them driving it and joyriding so I do not know if I want to mention the creaky roof.

I love the car aside from this. It feels heavier than my c6 z06/z07, but it is more luxurious. However, I am irritated that I have a creaky roof on a car I spent $113k cash on last month. There are many other cars I could have bought without a creaky roof.

Off topic but how do you get your cluster to look like that??pref an track mode?
Old 01-26-2015, 12:53 AM
mikepacheco
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem, I don't remember it Creaking till i took it off then put it back on?

MikeNSF
Old 01-26-2015, 12:53 AM
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 58 Posts

Maybe this will help:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3248518-targa-top-creaking-popping-squeaking-fixed.html
Old 01-26-2015, 12:56 AM
Kingspoke
Melting Slicks

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ing-fixed.html
Old 01-26-2015, 02:27 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm betting that just a little silicone grease or even some WD-40 at all points where metal meets metal (or even meets hard plastic) on those roof latches/pins will solve this quickly.
I know you feel that you shouldn't have to do that, but it's a very small price to pay when getting $200k+ sports car performance for only $79k (or even $113k).
Old 01-26-2015, 06:58 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
I'm betting that just a little silicone grease or even some WD-40 at all points where metal meets metal (or even meets hard plastic) on those roof latches/pins will solve this quickly.
I know you feel that you shouldn't have to do that, but it's a very small price to pay when getting $200k+ sports car performance for only $79k (or even $113k).
"Cut me some slack Jack !" G M's had how long to address this issue ? Some of you need to quit apologizing for G M's oversite. They've had all the time in the world to fix this. Thank the lord we don't have an ignition key issue ........... Yet !
Old 01-26-2015, 08:58 AM
cdavekirk
Racer

I don't think you can ever fully get away from the "creaks" with a removable top. Every generation has done it. My C6 had the redesigned latches and was better but still did it. Lube would help but imo that was a band aid approach. I remember driving to pick up my Z06 and telling my wife I was going to miss the removable top. No sooner said it and it started "creaking" LOL. Instantly made me not regret losing it. That being said I at times do miss being able to remove top. Don't miss the creaks though.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:16 AM
keeks2915
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 42 Posts

I would hope for the $ I spent on this beauty it doesn't squeak and rattle but we will see next week. I'm sure there are some fixes but who knows.

Couple of things I do know..

1) I have (had) corvettes for all generations, and THEY all squeaked, rattled, leaked, bump-steered, sometimes stopped, sometimes started and frustrated the hell out of me. And then when I headed to the beach I fell in love again.

2) At 47 after 40 years on the ice, I squeak, my knees rattle, and sometimes I leak (TMI) but I understand on a new modern vehicle these issues should be non existent. But alas, they will happen.

3) perhaps someone who owns a lambo or Ferrari can offer input on their lack of rattles.

Again, I am not apologizing for the car. Rattles in the roof need to be engineered out somehow but until then I am going to solve it with the the exhaust...
Old 01-26-2015, 09:37 AM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,069 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

I surprised to hear this, My Z51 C7, no garage queen, had 10k miles on it before I sold it and never had a squeak or rattle. The roof never made any noises. This car was driver all year long, some of the miles in the streets of NYC.
I sold because it was so good that I decided to get a Z06 which has a TPW of this week.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:58 AM
docf
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Try SLICK One Lube. Used this stuff many times when lived in Co. and worked well. Plastic on plastic always tends to squeak temp changes. Would be careful with what others have suggest as to torquing the adjust. screw down as roof may crack when summer comes around.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:16 AM
docf
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by keeks2915
I would hope for the $ I spent on this beauty it doesn't squeak and rattle but we will see next week. I'm sure there are some fixes but who knows.

Couple of things I do know..

1) I have (had) corvettes for all generations, and THEY all squeaked, rattled, leaked, bump-steered, sometimes stopped, sometimes started and frustrated the hell out of me. And then when I headed to the beach I fell in love again.

2) At 47 after 40 years on the ice, I squeak, my knees rattle, and sometimes I leak (TMI) but I understand on a new modern vehicle these issues should be non existent. But alas, they will happen.

3) perhaps someone who owns a lambo or Ferrari can offer input on their lack of rattles.

Again, I am not apologizing for the car. Rattles in the roof need to be engineered out somehow but until then I am going to solve it with the the exhaust...
They all squeak with sudden changes in temp. MB,Ferrari,Porsche etc.
esp with the never ending increase in the use of plastics. I use the one lube on my current Ferrari and wife's MB and for the most part have been satisfied. Quick changes in weather require a refresh.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:36 AM
Kingspoke
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Arctic Blastoff
Off topic but how do you get your cluster to look like that??pref an track mode?
This explains it best!

Old 01-26-2015, 10:49 AM
Gonzo
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

Good stuff

plus a little silicone on the O-Rings won't hurt..................

Last edited by Gonzo; 01-26-2015 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:12 AM
Kingspoke
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Gonzo
Good stuff

plus a little silicone on the O-Rings won't hurt..................
I just put a little dielectric grease on the prongs, & I'll see if that doesn't help.

Get notified of new replies

To Terrible creaking from roof panel on Z07 coupe

Old 01-26-2015, 12:11 PM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Do some of you not realize how much $79,000/$113,000 is?

Your expectations are terrible.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:13 PM
Jeuprx-8
Instructor

Transmission temp? Any thoughts on this?
Old 01-26-2015, 12:19 PM
Happihank
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Roof again

Does this not sound FAMILIAR? …way back in 2005 the C6 had the squeaky , noisy roof. It took 3 roof panels ( all under warranty) to get mine silent . I know how annoying it can be. I used to turn up the radio so I didn't have to hear otto drown it out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Terrible creaking from roof panel on Z07 coupe