C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Why does DRL turn off when blinker on?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 12:38 AM
Arctic Blastoff
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Why does DRL turn off when blinker on?

I dont think i like this feature,is there a way to keep it on or is it just not in the books.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:56 AM
DarkMastyr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://ask.cars.com/2012/10/why-do-a...nal-is-on.html

"Audi of America, which offers LED daytime running lights on all its models, says that the LEDs turn off when a turn signal activates because federal regulations say that no lights that are brighter than the turn signals can be on at the same time during daylight hours, which could prevent other drivers and pedestrians from noticing that a turn signal is on."
Old 01-26-2015, 01:24 AM
Arctic Blastoff
Drifting

Originally Posted by DarkMastyr

"Audi of America, which offers LED daytime running lights on all its models, says that the LEDs turn off when a turn signal activates because federal regulations say that no lights that are brighter than the turn signals can be on at the same time during daylight hours, which could prevent other drivers and pedestrians from noticing that a turn signal is on."
O wow you learn something new everyday.i use to do headlight retros an i didnt know that lol.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:46 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

makes sense, actually.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:08 AM
Omega Man
Race Director

Location: I speak the truth. Harsh but accurate. The Woodlands Texas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Somehow Porsche manages to keep the DRL's on and use the turn signal at the same time.

GM and Audi should figure it out.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:46 AM
355Spider
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

My jag does the same thing.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:55 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Omega Man
Somehow Porsche manages to keep the DRL's on and use the turn signal at the same time.

GM and Audi should figure it out.
Is it really that big of a deal or just something to b*tch about?
I have a '14 911 Turbo. To be honest, I've never really put the car in "Park", activated the turn signal, and got out of the car to see if the bumper LED's turned off during the day.
As a C7 and soon to be C7 Z06 owner, I really don't care if the DRL's turn off when I use the turn signal.
It seems like something stupid over which to obsess.
S.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:15 AM
Z06_4U2NV
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Snorman
Is it really that big of a deal or just something to b*tch about?
I have a '14 911 Turbo. To be honest, I've never really put the car in "Park", activated the turn signal, and got out of the car to see if the bumper LED's turned off during the day.
As a C7 and soon to be C7 Z06 owner, I really don't care if the DRL's turn off when I use the turn signal.
It seems like something stupid over which to obsess.
S.
For me, yes. It is on my list of "What would you change on your C7." It looks like one of your lights is out when the turn signal is on...enough to make me think about if I really need to turn on my blinker.

FYI - If your parking lights are on (basically not as bright DRL), they stay on when you use your blinker.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:19 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Z06_4U2NV
For me, yes. It is on my list of "What would you change on your C7." It looks like one of your lights is out when the turn signal is on...enough to make me think about if I really need to turn on my blinker.

FYI - If your parking lights are on (basically not as bright DRL), they stay on when you use your blinker.
IMO, it seems like something stupid to worry about. We've all seen Audis with the string of LED's on the lower headlight that turn off when the turn signal is activated.
Somebody in a previous post enumerated the federal regulations. Maybe Porsche or Nissan (GT-R) get away with it because the LED's are bumper-mounted, not in the headlight assembly. But I think for the vast majority of people, it's a non-issue.
S.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:50 AM
Arctic Blastoff
Drifting

I just thought it was odd,maybe theres a fuse of some sort to pull if needed or its all in the wiring harness.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:24 PM
Z06_4U2NV
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DarkMastyr

Originally Posted by Snorman
IMO, it seems like something stupid to worry about. We've all seen Audis with the string of LED's on the lower headlight that turn off when the turn signal is activated.
Somebody in a previous post enumerated the federal regulations. Maybe Porsche or Nissan (GT-R) get away with it because the LED's are bumper-mounted, not in the headlight assembly. But I think for the vast majority of people, it's a non-issue.
S.
Believe me I don't worry about it and that is one of the things I don't like about Audis. One would think that it could be as simple as...make the blinker brighter than the DRL or, as a second choice, lower brightness of the DRL to parking light brightness when blinker is on. <insert "you just blew my mind" emoticon here>

Get notified of new replies

To Why does DRL turn off when blinker on?

Quick Reply: Why does DRL turn off when blinker on?