C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

What is up with my tach at WOT redline?!?!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 08:44 PM
JMB
Melting Slicks

Received 452 Likes on 255 Posts

Default What is up with my tach at WOT redline?!?!!!

FINALLY after 1072 miles I had dry pavement with 50 degree temps where I could actually nail the car in 2nd gear to see how it pulls......I took my foot off at 6500 RPM and all of a sudden the outer side of the tach gets a thick red ring from 0-7500RPM on the very outer ring of the tach and (I have it set to sport mode so the tach is round) and in the HUD I have the track mode tach and there was 4 or 5 round yellow circles filled in above the tach line! These stayed on for about 5 seconds....did I go above the redline and the tach is freaking out? I ran my motor to 6600RPM+ on the chassis dyno until the fuel cutoff and never saw any of this behavior.

The enclosed pic shows with the red arrow where the circular tach lit up.
Attached Images  

Last edited by JMB; 01-29-2015 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:34 PM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

Yes my understanding is you over revved and hit the limiter. Seems that these cars have two limiters. First a soft one which is what you got. Basically a warning with the lights and slight fuel pull. Second limiter is more harsh with full fuel shut off and lights the same as you gotten. On your hud you should of seen 4 blinking red lights also.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:56 PM
JMB
Melting Slicks

Yes my understanding is you over revved and hit the limiter. Seems that these cars have two limiters. First a soft one which is what you got. Basically a warning with the lights and slight fuel pull. Second limiter is more harsh with full fuel shut off and lights the same as you gotten. On your hud you should of seen 4 blinking red lights also
Thanks and yes, the 4 lights were likely red...I thought yellow but it was bright out with the sun shining! Strange that I did not feel any fuel pull (I know this feeling all to well!) and that this didn't happen on the dyno....
Old 01-29-2015, 10:41 PM
occar
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The yellow and red rings are shift indicators is all. If you had the hockey stick tach up, it would be a site of blue circles that then flashed yellow instead of the rings.

That said, occasionally you can trigger the rings and they stay on even after you leave the high rev mark. It's just a display issue if that occurs though. Also, they may have fixed it for the software in the Z06. I haven't triggered it since I sold my stingray and bought the z06.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:10 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

First, if you got into the limiter you didn't over rev the engine. The limiter kept that from happening. Second, hitting the limiter occasionally doesn't hurt the engine.

Bill
Old 01-30-2015, 06:35 PM
JMB
Melting Slicks

The yellow and red rings are shift indicators is all. If you had the hockey stick tach up, it would be a site of blue circles that then flashed yellow instead of the rings.

That said, occasionally you can trigger the rings and they stay on even after you leave the high rev mark. It's just a display issue if that occurs though. Also, they may have fixed it for the software in the Z06.
Is this out of the owners manual as well? For some reason I don't recall reading this but you've explained it well, thanks.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:55 PM
AlexMartinez
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you hi-rev before warm up you engine , the display will do this to warning you. Check the yellow and red small line when you start your car. It's disapear progresively your engine warm up.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:26 AM
JMB
Melting Slicks

If you hi-rev before warm up you engine , the display will do this to warning you. Check the yellow and red small line when you start your car. It's disapear progresively your engine warm up.
This isn't the case here....I had be driving the car for almost an hour!
Old 07-25-2017, 05:26 AM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 148 Posts

at redline it pulls fuel and it doesn't bounce off limiter. why is that, bouncing off limiter is more fun. I guess this way it's safer on the engine?

Does it hurt the engine when it pulls fuel and engine just stops like that?
Old 07-25-2017, 02:23 PM
Kerviper
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by occar

That said, occasionally you can trigger the rings and they stay on even after you leave the high rev mark. It's just a display issue if that occurs though. Also, they may have fixed it for the software in the Z06. I haven't triggered it since I sold my stingray and bought the z06.

It's related to the shift lights for sure. I have had this many times when making a quick pull then shifting differently than the car thinks. For example if you run it up WOT to redline in 3rd then either get off of it at the top into neutral or get off into 7th (because your already doing 100ish). The car thinks I'm going to shift into 4th and stay WOT.
If your displays are stuck like that you can shift back into the gear it was expecting and it will reset.

Get notified of new replies

To What is up with my tach at WOT redline?!?!!!

Quick Reply: What is up with my tach at WOT redline?!?!!!