C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Oil cooler question

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 09:31 PM
NRB Z06
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oil cooler question

Where is the oil cooler located ?
Old 02-12-2015, 06:24 AM
WilliamCall
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by NRB Z06
Where is the oil cooler located ?
The oil cooler is the small rectangular block that is in front of the oil filter.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:21 AM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 735 Likes on 482 Posts

Why the hell there isn't a large core air radiator for the oil cooler exposed to airflow from the front of the car is beyond me. Having the oil 'cooled' by the engine coolant alone makes no sense to me. It's great for getting oil temps up quickly, so perfect for emissions and gas mileage testing; not so good for keeping oil temps down when the car is under stress.
Bish
Old 02-12-2015, 10:01 AM
NRB Z06
Advanced

THANKS FOR THE INFO.. That explains why i can't find it. I am going to forgo the BS mods and work on a real oil cooler.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:20 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

IF the engine cooling radiator has enough capacity these oil to engine coolant exchangers work quite well. It should be plumbed so that it is in the return flow from the radiator so at that point there is a large temperature differential between the oil and coolant. This type of cooler does bring the oil up to temperature more rapidly and avoids having exposed oil lines and cooler subject to damage. The more effective heat transfer avoids the issue of pressure drop through a lengthy and restrictive cooling circuit. Oil to liquid coolant exchangers can be extremely effective but everything depends upon the engine cooling system having sufficient capacity and this is where a problem may lie in the Z06.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:08 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
IF the engine cooling radiator has enough capacity these oil to engine coolant exchangers work quite well. It should be plumbed so that it is in the return flow from the radiator so at that point there is a large temperature differential between the oil and coolant. This type of cooler does bring the oil up to temperature more rapidly and avoids having exposed oil lines and cooler subject to damage. The more effective heat transfer avoids the issue of pressure drop through a lengthy and restrictive cooling circuit. Oil to liquid coolant exchangers can be extremely effective but everything depends upon the engine cooling system having sufficient capacity and this is where a problem may lie in the Z06.
The 06-09 Z06's had the air/oil cooler that still let the oil get to 285* or above on track work (240-250 would be much better). They also can take 20 miles or more of highway driving to get the oil above 150*, which is still too low. As indicated above, if the radiator has proper capacity the water/oil cooler is much better, both in easy driving and in track work.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:10 AM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by NSC5
Agreed that a far greater capacity radiator would be the first step, and one that GM would have a hard time denying warranty coverage because of.
Bish
Old 02-12-2015, 11:13 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by thebishman
Why the hell there isn't a large core air radiator for the oil cooler exposed to airflow from the front of the car is beyond me. Having the oil 'cooled' by the engine coolant alone makes no sense to me. It's great for getting oil temps up quickly, so perfect for emissions and gas mileage testing; not so good for keeping oil temps down when the car is under stress.
Bish
On the C6 Z06 we ditched the oil-to-air cooler and put an oil-to-water cooler in the Dewitts radiator. It did a better job keeping the oil temperature stable in road racing conditions and also helped get it up to operating temperature sooner.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 02-12-2015, 11:18 AM
rgkeller
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a higher capacity radiator available for the C7Z06?
Old 02-12-2015, 01:43 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
On the C6 Z06 we ditched the oil-to-air cooler and put an oil-to-water cooler in the Dewitts radiator. It did a better job keeping the oil temperature stable in road racing conditions and also helped get it up to operating temperature sooner.
Do you think this would be the solution then for the C7 Z, or since there is already an oil/water cooler installed, would an additional oil/air cooler perhaps in front of the water radiator be a better option?
Bish
Old 02-12-2015, 01:47 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Do you think this would be the solution then for the C7 Z, or since there is already an oil/water cooler installed, would an additional oil/air cooler perhaps in front of the water radiator be a better option?
Bish
I wouldn't add anything in front of the radiator. I would like to upgrade the radiator, but there is absolutely no room.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:30 PM
One Curve at a time
Advanced

Bish
Exactly what I did on my Nissan 370z and no more over heating issues (limp mod) at the track...
Old 02-12-2015, 04:59 PM
BobSWFL
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by One Curve at a time
Exactly what I did on my Nissan 370z and no more over heating issues (limp mod) at the track...
Same problem in 1996 with the Mustang Cobra. It overheated after a few laps on a hot day. The overheating was solved with installation of a double thickness aluminum racing radiator. Even after adding a centrifugal SC, it still had enough cooling.

Unfortunately, people here are saying the Z06 has no room for a thicker radiator.

The aftermarket will come up with a clever solution. Fingers crossed.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:34 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

I will take a water/oil cooler any day over the air to oil. They switched over for a reason.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:07 PM
WilliamCall
Racer

Good discussion here. In case anyone isn't sure what we are talking about, here's a link that shows the production oil cooler: http://www.corvetteonline.com/tech-s...e-power-curve/

I don't see where there would be a lot of air flow around this cooler, and its close proximity to the exhaust header isn't helping the situation. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:24 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Airflow isn't what cools it. It is a water block. The car pumps water from the radiator through it. Doesn't need any airflow.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:30 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by WilliamCall
Good discussion here. In case anyone isn't sure what we are talking about, here's a link that shows the production oil cooler: http://www.corvetteonline.com/tech-s...e-power-curve/

I don't see where there would be a lot of air flow around this cooler, and its close proximity to the exhaust header isn't helping the situation. Just my 2 cents.
Just what I was about to post. Wrapping the header will likely help a lot.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil cooler question

Old 02-12-2015, 10:30 PM
WilliamCall
Racer

Originally Posted by Unreal
Airflow isn't what cools it. It is a water block. The car pumps water from the radiator through it. Doesn't need any airflow.
Thanks for clarifying that (for me).
Old 02-12-2015, 11:24 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

We have one

http://www.dewitts.com/collections/c...ducts/1139114m
Old 02-13-2015, 12:23 AM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom DeWitt