C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Trailer Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 09:55 PM
sushisean
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trailer Advice

heading out to the Willow Springs tomorrow and I'm considering picking up a trailer. It may rain this weekend and I don't want to get stuck driving home in smoked cup tires.

For those that tow, any suggestions? I'm leaning towards an 8.5x20 enclosed trailer At Norco Trailers. They run about $8k. Is dovetail a necessity? If so, they probably won't have something in stock and I'll have to go custom. Your experience and advice is appreciated!

Tow vehicle will be a 2014 Range Rover Sport Supercharged with a 7,700 lb capacity
Old 02-26-2015, 09:58 PM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by sushisean
heading out to the Willow Springs tomorrow and I'm considering picking up a trailer. It may rain this weekend and I don't want to get stuck driving home in smoked cup tires. For those that tow, any suggestions? I'm leaning towards an 8.5x20 enclosed trailer At Norco Trailers. They run about $8k. Is dovetail a necessity? If so, they probably won't have something in stock and I'll have to go custom. Your experience and advice is appreciated! Tow vehicle will be a 2014 Range Rover Sport Supercharged with a 7,700 lb capacity
I would suggest 2x10x10's to extend to ramp. These dang things sit low on the front spoiler. I use the boards and my race ramps. Barely make it on
Old 02-26-2015, 10:28 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

heading out to the Willow Springs tomorrow and I'm considering picking up a trailer. It may rain this weekend and I don't want to get stuck driving home in smoked cup tires.

For those that tow, any suggestions? I'm leaning towards an 8.5x20 enclosed trailer At Norco Trailers. They run about $8k. Is dovetail a necessity? If so, they probably won't have something in stock and I'll have to go custom. Your experience and advice is appreciated!

Tow vehicle will be a 2014 Range Rover Sport Supercharged with a 7,700 lb capacity
My experience is that you get what you pay for with trailers. Go cheap and you'll likely end up with shoddy quality and poor construction. One piece aluminum roofs, fully boxed and well constructed steel frames (4"x6" tube vs. I-beam), seamless aluminum exterior, plywood reinforced walls, cast corner caps, slide out steps, etc., etc. add cost.
You definitely want as much of a beavertail as you can get in a 20'. Get at least a 16" loading flap and a set of Race Ramps.
My own personal opinion is to stick with a reputable manufacturer. Haulmark and United make a pretty solid enclosed steel trailer for a decent price, the former being more costly. Once you got to ATC and InTech, price goes up but since they are aluminum weight goes down. Quality of both is very good.
IMO you are pushing it with using a RR to tow. An unfinished, bare, steel 8.5'x20' (no AC, cabinets, winch, etc.) in steel is going to be ~3300-3500#. Add your 3500# Z06 and you are basically maxing out the towing capacity of the truck. It'll have plenty of power, but short wheelbase, standard brakes, etc. won't make for a great tow. It's probably got load leveling suspension so at least it won't pull all the weight off the nose, but a SWB tow vehicle is sensitive to tongue weight.

My setup...

S.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:42 PM
JimZRyd
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Snorman, which trailer is that? Haulmark? Model? I'm in the market for one myself and your set up is sweet! Any info would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Jim
Old 02-26-2015, 10:51 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Jim,
It's a Haulmark Pro Edge, 24'.
Feel free to shoot me a PM with any questions. I got great pricing and service from a dealer north of Daytona, so might work for you since you are in SC.
S.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:56 PM
sushisean
Racer

I am a bit concerned about pushing the tow capacity. 510 hp will do well but shorter wheelbase isn't ideal. I was considering an open for that reason but you lose so much utility.

Lawdogg are you using a dovetail AND 10 foot long Ramps?
Old 02-26-2015, 11:03 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

I am a bit concerned about pushing the tow capacity. 510 hp will do well but shorter wheelbase isn't ideal. I was considering an open for that reason but you lose so much utility.

Lawdogg are you using a dovetail AND 10 foot long Ramps?
If you are going open, give serious consideration to an aluminum tilt-bed.
Aluma and H&H both make nice trailers. A bare 18' tilt bed with no tire rack, tongue box, etc will be around 1500#. Add a tire rack or nose shield, tongue box and winch and they are around 2000#.
They don't rust or rot and hold good value. However loading one on a hot sunny day is like working in a frying pan.
S.
The following users liked this post:
Bad Dad (03-26-2016)
Old 02-26-2015, 11:37 PM
2015zo7
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IF you go with a open trailer watch out for the fenders as the door will hit them. Best to use a winch OR put boards under the tires so it lifts the car up enough so it doesn't hit the fenders. I had to figure out the ramps as my trailer is set up for my offroad truck not my cars(I only have room to store 1 trailer so the trailer I have is over kill for a little corvette).
The following users liked this post:
marc0779 (03-27-2016)
Old 02-27-2015, 12:05 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 2015zo7
IF you go with a open trailer watch out for the fenders as the door will hit them. Best to use a winch OR put boards under the tires so it lifts the car up enough so it doesn't hit the fenders. I had to figure out the ramps as my trailer is set up for my offroad truck not my cars(I only have room to store 1 trailer so the trailer I have is over kill for a little corvette).
Aluma and H&H both have removable fenders standard.
S.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:01 AM
dooboy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dovetail & ramp extension are a must for a corvette.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:06 AM
VinnieA
Racer

Snorman that's a really nice trailer!!
OP I have a 24' Wells cargo dove tail and I use 6' race ramps. No issues at all. When it's time for a new trailer I'll be looking in to the one Snorman has.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:26 AM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

sushisean,,, I'd rent a U-haul for this trip and take your time choosing a purchase.. JMHO

AS others have said you're really pushing your towing limit and an enclosed trailer will be effected more by wind movement than an open one. Taking off will be easy,,,, stopping not as much,,, cross winds with that wheelbase will be a thrill ride.

Take your time.

GL at Willow Springs
Old 02-27-2015, 09:58 AM
sushisean
Racer

Originally Posted by jbondfl
sushisean,,, I'd rent a U-haul for this trip and take your time choosing a purchase.. JMHO

AS others have said you're really pushing your towing limit and an enclosed trailer will be effected more by wind movement than an open one. Taking off will be easy,,,, stopping not as much,,, cross winds with that wheelbase will be a thrill ride.

Take your time.

GL at Willow Springs
If only a U-Haul trailer were wide enough.

How does everyone feel about open vs enclosed? I talked to a guy at the track last time that said he greatly preferred open due to ease of use. Most others seem to prefer enclosed.

I looked it up, my wheelbase is 115" which is only 7" shorter than the shortest F150 wheelbase so not as short as I feared.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:04 AM
rsalco
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How does everyone feel about open vs enclosed? I talked to a guy at the track last time that said he greatly preferred open due to ease of use. Most others seem to prefer enclosed.

I looked it up, my wheelbase is 115" which is only 7" shorter than the shortest F150 wheelbase so not as short as I feared.
Late model U-Hauls are wider; the Z will fit. Do a search here on the forum; there was a thread some time ago talking about using a U-Haul successfully.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:09 AM
sushisean
Racer

Originally Posted by rsalco
Late model U-Hauls are wider; the Z will fit. Do a search here on the forum; there was a thread some time ago talking about using a U-Haul successfully.
Are you sure? It's listed as 79.25" wide, the car is listed as 77.4" wide. I don't think I'm good enough to park on a trailer with 1/2" clearance on both sides.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:47 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 735 Likes on 482 Posts

Not that it's a direct comparison, but I used to tow our 22.5 ft. Regal on a double wheel trailer behind our 2003 FFRR, and then our 2006 RRS S/C. Never had one issue. Granted the trailer weighed a lot less than an enclosed car hauler, but the boat when full of fuel and water was a pretty hefty lump.
Bish
Old 02-27-2015, 04:09 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Why not talk to a trailer dealer about a rental? There are a lot more options than U Haul.
A rental also gives you some experience with how your vehicle will react to the extra weight. I suspect you are restricted to an open trailer due to the vehicles towing capacity. A well built open trailer with your car on it will run over 5K lbs.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Trailer Advice

Old 02-27-2015, 04:13 PM
sushisean
Racer

Success with the uhaul. I have the 2 piece race ramps. Flipped the lower piece over and used it to extend the ramps and she fits fine. No need to remove the front stops by loading it in reverse, and shouldn't have a problem with it backwards since it's nearly 50/50 weight.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:16 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Nice job! And you shouldn't have an issue with the tow rating of your truck as the car/trailer should only be in the ~5500# range. Those U-Haul open trailers are tanks. They clearly build them to take lots of abuse.
Good luck at the track.
S.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:51 PM
Toilets
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

I have a 24ft ATC all aluminum. Your gonna pay but at 3k pounds, towing is rather smooth and easy.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Trailer Advice