C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Rail-car shortages slowing car deliveries

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 09:47 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Default Rail-car shortages slowing car deliveries

Rail-car shortage discussed last June in this Toledo story:

http://www.toledoblade.com/Automotiv...to-supply.html

I suspect with the West Coast dock strike over and the backlog of containers needing to be moved and quickly that rails are even more stressed out. Weather is adding to the problems most certainly. This seems to be especially bad for the western customers that rely totally on the rails for shipping.

So, us with Corvettes sitting in Toledo can wait and wait until our turn comes. Until then get those mods ready to go so when the day arrives you can get to work on your car.

My A8/Z06 was built on Jan. 23rd (VIN 2873) and then had to wait 3 weeks for the so-called Quality Control hold. It then shipped Friday the 13th to Toledo where it has been parked ever since.
I keep hoping that it will get shipped west soon, but my hope is fading...fast.

Last edited by BOBSZ06; 02-27-2015 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:11 AM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,070 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

My A8 C7Z was built on 1/29 and shipped on 2/16 to a rail yard in New Boston MI. where it's still waiting for a train ride east to NY. This doesn't make sense, since my C7 was delivered in 2 days by truck back in September 2013.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:31 AM
dcher
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by george vee
My A8 C7Z was built on 1/29 and shipped on 2/16 to a rail yard in New Boston MI. where it's still waiting for a train ride east to NY. This doesn't make sense, since my C7 was delivered in 2 days by truck back in September 2013.
This is what happens when GM wants to save a few bucks. Ultimately the customer pays the price. I don't understand how GM can sell its flagship car for 100K and during the delivery process treat it like a chevy cruze. I figure it will be at least 8 weeks to get my car delivered after it was built. that is unacceptable.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:19 PM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

I have checked with my dealer Kerbeck and the Corvette Manager, Dave Salvatore......

He checked the GM Workbook Order and found my railcar ID!
The car was shipped on Tuesday, 24th and is at Air line Junction, OH?

I assumed that if OnStar shows a location it is working and if an error is received then it has time out or on-board and out of sight.

I would suggest for anyone not able to get the railcar ID from GM Chat to consult with their dealer as they can get that information.

Air line Junction, OH is southwest of Toledo and definitely in a different location than what OnStar shows.
Progress?

Last edited by BOBSZ06; 02-27-2015 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:46 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBSZ06
Rail-car shortage discussed last June in this Toledo story:

http://www.toledoblade.com/Automotiv...to-supply.html

I suspect with the West Coast dock strike over and the backlog of containers needing to be moved and quickly that rails are even more stressed out. Weather is adding to the problems most certainly. This seems to be especially bad for the western customers that rely totally on the rails for shipping.

So, us with Corvettes sitting in Toledo can wait and wait until our turn comes. Until then get those mods ready to go so when the day arrives you can get to work on your car.

My A8/Z06 was built on Jan. 23rd (VIN 2873) and then had to wait 3 weeks for the so-called Quality Control hold. It then shipped Friday the 13th to Toledo where it has been parked ever since.
I keep hoping that it will get shipped west soon, but my hope is fading...fast.
It's simply waiting for my (m7) car to be made this week and then they will
add mine add then head west.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:50 PM
dcher
Burning Brakes

I have checked with my dealer Kerbeck and the Corvette Manager, Dave Salvatore......

He checked the GM Workbook Order and found my railcar ID!
The car was shipped on Tuesday, 24th and is at Air line Junction, OH?

I assumed that if OnStar shows a location it is working and if an error is received then it has time out or on-board and out of sight.

I would suggest for anyone not able to get the railcar ID from GM Chat to consult with their dealer as they can get that information.

Air line Junction, OH is southwest of Toledo and definitely in a different location than what OnStar shows.
Progress?

I am not sure what they do at the nearby locations. My car has been in Bellevue OH for the last two day which is due east of Toledo and then at some point in the future will be heading to Mira Loma CA. Did you contact the train and get an ETA? They should provide it when you call in.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:51 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,708 Likes on 2,917 Posts

Originally Posted by dcher
This is what happens when GM wants to save a few bucks. Ultimately the customer pays the price. I don't understand how GM can sell its flagship car for 100K and during the delivery process treat it like a chevy cruze. I figure it will be at least 8 weeks to get my car delivered after it was built. that is unacceptable.
This is happening across all commodities, across all railroads, not just Corvettes. Automotive will always take a backseat with the railroad vs. other commodities such as oil, grain, etc. Be glad your car is at least made in the US rather than having to take a boat ride, then train, then truck before it finally arrives at your dealership. If you think any of brand of car takes priority over Chevrolets (high-end luxury or base model econobox), you are mistaken; the railroad could careless.

Advice to anyone deadset on getting your car as quickly as possible:
1. Buy from dealer stock.
2. Order it from a dealership within truck transport distance from BG then pay to have it trucked to your house from said dealership (or fly in to take delivery).
3. Select the museum delivery package.

Last edited by Kracka; 02-27-2015 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:17 PM
dcher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kracka
This is happening across all commodities, across all railroads, not just Corvettes. Automotive will always take a backseat with the railroad vs. other commodities such as oil, grain, etc. Be glad your car is at least made in the US rather than having to take a boat ride, then train, then truck before it finally arrives at your dealership. If you think any of brand of car takes priority over Chevrolets (high-end luxury or base model econobox), you are mistaken; the railroad could careless.

2. Order it from a dealership within truck transport distance from BG then pay to have it trucked to your house from said dealership (or fly in to take delivery).
Thats my point. Since the railroad could care less why not transport their flagship car exclusively by truck. I know it costs more but in the long run it would build loyalty and inventory sitting around for weeks at at time not generating revenue.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:24 PM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

I am not sure what they do at the nearby locations. My car has been in Bellevue OH for the last two day which is due east of Toledo and then at some point in the future will be heading to Mira Loma CA. Did you contact the train and get an ETA? They should provide it when you call in.

The voice did not provide an ETA.
But the point is that OnStar still shows it in the Toledo site and evidently is presenting the last know location. I will be tracking with the railcar ID from here.
The car was moved to Air line Junction 5PM Tuesday, so another couple of days is today...hopeful for a movement west today.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:33 PM
Redc8z06
Melting Slicks

Received 1,566 Likes on 860 Posts

Originally Posted by george vee
Happen to me too. Sat in MI rail yard for over 2 weeks. The issue is some dealers in the Northeast are designated "truck" dealers and others are "rail" dealers and these dealers can be right next door to each other.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:49 PM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Appears that OnStar is working. I had not logged out of my Android app and so I did and then login again and checked and now this is what I am getting:
This shows the initial OnStar location near the Chrysler Dr; the new OnStar location (west Toledo) and the railcar ID location (air line junction).

Take your pick

Old 02-27-2015, 03:11 PM
2015zo7
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly I would agree with you until I saw first hand what happened to the stingrays that were shipped by truck in 2013. When they were being trucked out west the stingrays were getting all scratched up and damaged do the poor cover design. On one of the trucks I even saw one of the covers ripped apart.

There is no easy way to get it out west safely. Luckily our A8 vert should be in Milpitas on Sunday or sometime next week.

Last edited by 2015zo7; 02-27-2015 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:14 PM
dcher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 2015zo7
Honestly I would agree with you until I saw first hand what happened to the stingrays that were shipped by truck in 2013. When they were being trucked out west the stingrays were getting all scratched up and damaged do the poor cover design. On one of the trucks I even saw one of the covers ripped apart.

There is no easy way to get it out west safely. Luckily our A8 vert should be in Milpitas on Sunday or sometime next week.
Good point. Shortly after I sent my rather pointed message, my car finally moved away from Bellevue after two days there.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:42 PM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Here is what OnStar says about "vehicle locate" with the app.

"Please keep in mind when using RemoteLink vehicle locate with the vehicle in ignition-off state, RemoteLink will display the last know vehicle location (gathered last time the vehicle was ignition-on).
Vehicle locate will generally be accurate within 10 meters (thirty feet) of the last known location of the vehicle, where it was turned off after the last drive. Once the vehicle has been powered on, the location will update."

So, no way to check location of the car while on the railcar according to this.
I thought some had located the car on the railcar in transit?

So, why would my car on the railcar be showing where it is now in the above map unless it had been started at the location and then turned off? Doesn't appear to be a loading area...
....-The only possible answer is that it was loaded at the Chrysler railcar area; left running; and then someone onboard turned it off at that location while the train was moving to the air line railyard location it is at now.
("Vehicle locate will generally be accurate within 10 meters (thirty feet) of the last known location of the vehicle, where it was turned off after the last drive")

Last edited by BOBSZ06; 02-27-2015 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:24 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Kracka

You are totally wrong and have no idea about the railroad!

They care a lot and we run Auto trains every single day.

If the rail was not transporting freight you would have clogged highways since the railroads haul millions of tons daily.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:26 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 2015zo7

Enclosed railcar beats a truck with cover's on the cars.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:51 AM
mark1107
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

My baby at least made it to Toledo. I'm wondering how long it'll wait on Chrysler dr?

Mark

Get notified of new replies

To Rail-car shortages slowing car deliveries

Old 02-28-2015, 01:39 AM
sdtoothdoc
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is what OnStar says about "vehicle locate" with the app.

"Please keep in mind when using RemoteLink vehicle locate with the vehicle in ignition-off state, RemoteLink will display the last know vehicle location (gathered last time the vehicle was ignition-on).
Vehicle locate will generally be accurate within 10 meters (thirty feet) of the last known location of the vehicle, where it was turned off after the last drive. Once the vehicle has been powered on, the location will update."

So, no way to check location of the car while on the railcar according to this.
I thought some had located the car on the railcar in transit?

So, why would my car on the railcar be showing where it is now in the above map unless it had been started at the location and then turned off? Doesn't appear to be a loading area...
....-The only possible answer is that it was loaded at the Chrysler railcar area; left running; and then someone onboard turned it off at that location while the train was moving to the air line railyard location it is at now.
("Vehicle locate will generally be accurate within 10 meters (thirty feet) of the last known location of the vehicle, where it was turned off after the last drive")
Are you making sure to refresh your 'Remote Link' to get the current map of where it is located? My car has been on a train now for 5 days and I've been able to see its progress at various points along the way with no issues
Old 02-28-2015, 08:54 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by sdtoothdoc
Are you making sure to refresh your 'Remote Link' to get the current map of where it is located? My car has been on a train now for 5 days and I've been able to see its progress at various points along the way with no issues

I see no way to "refresh" my remote app if that is what you are referring to? The only thing I can do is log off and then login.
No refresh feature on my Android app.

Just tried it again, and tapped the "car" icon again and maybe that "refreshed" the location as it is showing me in a different location!

Thanks

Update: OnStar does work without having the ignition turned off!!!!

I was told I simply needed to "refresh" my Remote Link. I tried tapping the "car" icon on the map for the location of the car and viola it refreshed to a new location.

OnStar CS is incorrect it appears. You can get the location at anytime.

Railcar update: Departed Air line Junction, 02.28.15 @ 0730.... no ETA
MILPITAS OR BUST!

Finally out of that ice box in Toledo

My current location:

Last edited by BOBSZ06; 02-28-2015 at 09:17 AM.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:16 AM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
You are totally wrong and have no idea about the railroad!

They care a lot and we run Auto trains every single day.

If the rail was not transporting freight you would have clogged highways since the railroads haul millions of tons daily.
Lets hear it for the Rail Roads.
Attached Images  

Last edited by robertbruce; 02-28-2015 at 10:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Rail-car shortages slowing car deliveries