C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Z06 A8 finally in Vegas, BUT ISSUES!! Starting with TIRE CRACKS!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 12:01 AM
Denstoy968
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Z06 A8 finally in Vegas, BUT ISSUES!! Starting with TIRE CRACKS!

So my car finally got to my Courtesy Dealer today (Kerbeck is my purchasing dealer) after being built on 1/23 and shipped to Toledo on 2/13 (after the 3 week whatever hold they had in BG) then shipped out of Toledo 2/16 to arrive in Vegas on 2/23 then to dealer today 3/2....I saw on OnStar that the car was at the dealer but no calls to me yet and so I call and leave a message but had not heard anything...the anticipation was killing me so I drove there around 530pm to check her out. When I got there, I was approached by a random salesman who knew exactly which car I was looking for and said it arrived this morning (and yes, he said it was still in the white wraps when it got there - a concern earlier since I saw cars at the railyard with no wraps) - he led me inside and went to get the guy that was working my deal - a few minutes later the General Manager shows up instead and introduces himself and walks my wife and I out to my car in the back. On the way there, he begins to tell me that he cannot release the car due to all tires being severely cracked! They cannot even PDI the car. He said General Motors just put out a bulletin about this issue as cars sat in the cold too long and many vehicles are going to have bad tires. He said he's waiting for GM to tell him what they are doing about it but the car is not safe to deliver. He said he found out that Spring Mountain has about 20 cars with same issue that they recently just got as well so this is a growing concern with all the recent Vettes arriving! Not good for a lot of forum members here waiting for their car!!

Things got worse when we got to the car....of course the first thing I looked at were the tires and yep - they were in bad shape! Then I see that they parked it right over a curb - the front splitter was damaged! oops - they are now ordering a new splitter! It appears whoever parked it didn't think that through too well! Car was dirty still since they couldn't PDI it so I inspected however I could and we also see that the rear fenders are very poorly aligned - I mean bad! He said they are going to put in a body claim and try to repair. Then there's the orange peel - especially in the doors - it was very noticeable. He said they will see if they can get that resolved too! Not too happy about the quality of a $100k car

Needless to say, my excitement for this car just went out the door in a hurry! I was worried about issues I may have AFTER taking delivery of the car but didn't think that I would have this kind of stuff to deal with BEFORE delivery! The worse part is that I purchased this car out of state so my money has been spent, insurance placed and paid for, and payments starting in 30 days and now I have a car here that I can't drive for who knows how long. The local dealership and Kerbeck are working together with QC in BG to rectify and I hope it's a swift resolution but I was already warned that tires are on national backorder and could be awhile! I cannot even begin to tell you how disappointed I was today - I had to wait a few hours before posting this because if I had posted earlier, I wouldn't have been this calm. Don't get me wrong - I am still beyond pissed off but all I can do now is hope GM steps up and takes care of this quickly and to 100% satisfaction!

I will post some pics once I get them off my phone....
Old 03-03-2015, 12:05 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Damn!! hate stories like this. Hope all is taken care of and FAST!!
Old 03-03-2015, 12:10 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Denstoy968
So my car finally got to my Courtesy Dealer today (Kerbeck is my purchasing dealer) after being built on 1/23 and shipped to Toledo on 2/13 (after the 3 week whatever hold they had in BG) then shipped out of Toledo 2/16 to arrive in Vegas on 2/23 then to dealer today 3/2....I saw on OnStar that the car was at the dealer but no calls to me yet and so I call and leave a message but had not heard anything...the anticipation was killing me so I drove there around 530pm to check her out. When I got there, I was approached by a random salesman who knew exactly which car I was looking for and said it arrived this morning (and yes, he said it was still in the white wraps when it got there - a concern earlier since I saw cars at the railyard with no wraps) - he led me inside and went to get the guy that was working my deal - a few minutes later the General Manager shows up instead and introduces himself and walks my wife and I out to my car in the back. On the way there, he begins to tell me that he cannot release the car due to all tires being severely cracked! They cannot even PDI the car. He said General Motors just put out a bulletin about this issue as cars sat in the cold too long and many vehicles are going to have bad tires. He said he's waiting for GM to tell him what they are doing about it but the car is not safe to deliver. He said he found out that Spring Mountain has about 20 cars with same issue that they recently just got as well so this is a growing concern with all the recent Vettes arriving! Not good for a lot of forum members here waiting for their car!!

Things got worse when we got to the car....of course the first thing I looked at were the tires and yep - they were in bad shape! Then I see that they parked it right over a curb - the front splitter was damaged! oops - they are now ordering a new splitter! It appears whoever parked it didn't think that through too well! Car was dirty still since they couldn't PDI it so I inspected however I could and we also see that the rear fenders are very poorly aligned - I mean bad! He said they are going to put in a body claim and try to repair. Then there's the orange peel - especially in the doors - it was very noticeable. He said they will see if they can get that resolved too! Not too happy about the quality of a $100k car

Needless to say, my excitement for this car just went out the door in a hurry! I was worried about issues I may have AFTER taking delivery of the car but didn't think that I would have this kind of stuff to deal with BEFORE delivery! The worse part is that I purchased this car out of state so my money has been spent, insurance placed and paid for, and payments starting in 30 days and now I have a car here that I can't drive for who knows how long. The local dealership and Kerbeck are working together with QC in BG to rectify and I hope it's a swift resolution but I was already warned that tires are on national backorder and could be awhile! I cannot even begin to tell you how disappointed I was today - I had to wait a few hours before posting this because if I had posted earlier, I wouldn't have been this calm. Don't get me wrong - I am still beyond pissed off but all I can do now is hope GM steps up and takes care of this quickly and to 100% satisfaction!

I will post some pics once I get them off my phone....
Tire took me 6-8 months to get replaced but they are safe to drive on.

My tire dealer replaced them. At 8600 miles reported them cracked
at 1000 miles. They were bad. I'm inspecting my car if like yours I'm leaving it there.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:13 AM
10WhiteGS
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wonder what they are going to do about the cracked tires. Michelin seems to think this is "normal" for a performance summer tire, and if you move your car during the winter (or when is cold out) then it's your problem. not theirs.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:24 AM
Denstoy968
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's the pics:

My very first view of the car as we approached it

shocked when I saw it parked over the curb...

Photo of underneath the front splitter - damaged

Tires cracked - GM wont allow release - figuring out what to do about tires...

Rear fender poorly aligned

Other rear fender also poorly aligned
Old 03-03-2015, 12:28 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Wow idiots that have no idea how to park Corvette's!
Old 03-03-2015, 12:42 AM
v jet
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

TIREGATE has begun. I heard about this weeks ago from a salesman friend that cars were sitting in the cold with frozen tires. GM will have to make the affected customers happy or else.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:23 AM
mark1107
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Sorry Denstoy for the problems. Hopefully they will be corrected quickly.GM will have pr problem if they don't.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:26 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

damn those tire cracks are pretty nuts no wonder why the shortage of super sport tires.

With the ZL1 camaro didnt they just no produce them during the winter season when the tire crack problem originated?

Sucks about the front splitter as well.
hope they get everything straightened out ASAP gotta suck to have this in an area where you COULD be driving it now
Old 03-03-2015, 01:41 AM
Arctic Blastoff
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

And how about the seat material?wrinkles?mine had ton on one side "twice".i would be like man cant you hookup a wickerbill for my damaged car,think im joking but i would totally do it as you can usually get your way with these things if you stand up to them...or just put a really big deposit
Old 03-03-2015, 03:19 AM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Wow. More QC problems topped off with poor dealer treatment of the car - they must be joking parking a Corvette over the damn curb. Brutal.

Over a year ago I mentioned the poorly aligned rear fenders on every C7 I had seen and was lambasted and told it was an early production issue that would be worked out. Guess not.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:28 AM
Fastmikefree
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

That's really bad! Means very poor QC from GM!!!!

Unacceptable at that kind of price...

GM WAKE UP!!!
Old 03-03-2015, 03:32 AM
therealviper
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Hirohawa
Wow. More QC problems topped off with poor dealer treatment of the car - they must be joking parking a Corvette over the damn curb. Brutal.

Over a year ago I mentioned the poorly aligned rear fenders on every C7 I had seen and was lambasted and told it was an early production issue that would be worked out. Guess not.
Its really not acceptable not to have a censor at the front warning of the curve.

Its only a matter of time before you hit a curve w/o one, not if... this is 2015, the tech for that is good and cheap. All cruise control should also have auto slow and stop and there s/b side warnings that will save lives and repair bills.

And cracking rubber on tires, NOT driven while cold .. really.. that's not a tire ready for the street... Well GM and Michelin will be paying for that....

Regards,

Viper
Old 03-03-2015, 03:59 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

So they PDI'd the car and then curbed the splitter? Holy crap.
That rear fascia looks bad. As in...I wonder if that car was hit or impacted by something to be that bad. I have seen a bunch of C7 Z06's, and none have been like that.
S.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:09 AM
Rumba
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Snorman
So they PDI'd the car and then curbed the splitter? Holy crap.
That rear fascia looks bad. As in...I wonder if that car was hit or impacted by something to be that bad. I have seen a bunch of C7 Z06's, and none have been like that.
S.
Did you have OP issues on yours? I thought they had that issue solved. My TPW is this week. Thanks, Paul
Old 03-03-2015, 04:10 AM
ParishM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

if they couldn't PDI it, how did the splitter and side skirts get installed ?
Old 03-03-2015, 05:55 AM
L Duncan
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ParishM
Great point. Maybe ck your milage?

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 A8 finally in Vegas, BUT ISSUES!! Starting with TIRE CRACKS!

Old 03-03-2015, 08:44 AM
Bmbarney
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 8 Posts

I was thinking the same thing - but was wondering if Kerbecks did it before the courtesy delivery?
Old 03-03-2015, 09:21 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Yeah?
Old 03-03-2015, 09:21 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

The tires are going to be huge for many including myself as it spent 3 weeks in BGAP and then 2 weeks in the ice locker called Toledo.
They will all be cracked....meaning supply problems getting tires for us.
I now wonder how many weeks my new Z06 will sit at my Courtesy delivery dealer waiting for tires when it arrives in 2 weeks?

This is exactly what I have been wondering about and it is not good news at all.

Quick Reply: Z06 A8 finally in Vegas, BUT ISSUES!! Starting with TIRE CRACKS!