C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Took Delivery A8 Z06 San Diego-CRACKED TIRES!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 10:26 PM
10WhiteGS
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by soulsea
Harold may not have the best bedside manners but his premise is sound.

The buyer should be aware of what they are buying when they purchase a performance package which includes tires that barely meet the minimum DOT requirement for public road use. There are Z06 trims available that don't include this extreme tire so it's not like GM is forcing everyone to wear it. It's the same thing with the Trofeo R on the Z/28 and no one is blaming Pirelli for building performance tires that crack under load below a certain temp, because Z/28 owners know what they're getting into and those that live up North or want to daily drive simply swap out their tires for all season ones.

That said, this isn't really relevant to the thread, for the OP didn't take his car to North Dakota in his summer performance tires, it was delivered that way to him in SoCal. That is unacceptable on behalf of GM's part for it is their responsibility to get the vehicle to the owner without tire damage, be it structural or cosmetic.
The tires are cracking on base corvettes, and base Z06. If You move the car (Not necessarily drive it) when the is temperatures below 20°F (-7°C) the tires will crack, requiring you to replace them. You don't see this as a problem? And yes GM is forcing you to wear these tires, I didn't see any other tire option from the factory.

Last edited by 10WhiteGS; 03-04-2015 at 10:29 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:34 PM
FrcFed8
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This warning has been out for GT500's since 2011, Camaro ZL1's since 2012. It's part of owning a car with extreme performance tires. Car has a warranty for a reason if you have problems.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:37 PM
beden1
Drifting

Originally Posted by harlold
You do what plenty do - you either have a heated garage or you store the tires.

The tires are built for a specific purpose - not you storing your car in sub zero weather.

It really isn't that difficult to grasp.
So, you're happy to put your car up on blocks for the winter? I can understand how some may be OK with it, perhaps those who bought their new Corvette to just take it to the track. But, for those who bought a car to drive, I think it's very difficult to grasp.

Let's put it this way, I've had three Corvettes including a C6 Z06, and none had tires that could not take sub zero temps. I've stored my Porsche in my non-heated garage now for three very cold winters and it's tires are still good to go.

I'll ask you this, did GM tell anyone that the tires had to be stored in a heated environment before they sold them their new C7 Z06?

Last edited by beden1; 03-04-2015 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:38 PM
soulsea
Alcoholics Unanimous
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,642 Likes on 413 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by 10WhiteGS
The tires are cracking on base corvettes, and base Z06. If You move the car (Not necessarily drive it) when the is temperatures below 20°F (-7°C) the tires will crack, requiring you to replace them. You don't see this as a problem? And yes GM is forcing you to wear these tires, I didn't see any other tire option from the factory.
I misunderstood ... I thought this was an issue mostly related to the cup tires on the Z07 package, so i retract my comment about having a tire choice.

---------------------------

Originally Posted by beden1
I've stored my Porsche in my non-heated garage now for three very cold winters and it's tires are still good to go.
For the sake of fairness, Porsche uses the same tires on some models:

Last edited by soulsea; 03-04-2015 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:44 PM
beden1
Drifting

Originally Posted by cmicasa
Its an anti-GM comment by a person who owns a "partial German Gov't Motors" built car.. Go figure.

Point is that some will look for anything to bitch at GM about. This is a GM issue that can easily be sorted out with Michelin. That's what warranties are for.. and I don't think anyone owning a C7 or otherwise should stress out about this at all.
Wait, which car is a "partial German Gov't Motors biult car"? I also own an '02 Suburban and an '08 Tahoe, as well as previously owned three Corvettes, many GM SUVs and cars beforehand, and have been a member here since '06.

Last edited by beden1; 03-04-2015 at 11:26 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:48 PM
beden1
Drifting

Originally Posted by racezx9
LOL that's just a stupid comment ...a class action law suite... please explain based on what premise ? These defects are across manufacturer, and it's a cosmetic defect and the manufacturer is replacing them under warranty.....CLASS ACTION LAW SUITE really !!
It's class action "suit" and it was meant to be a joke. Last time I checked, suing someone for being stupid usually gets dismissed, because if they didn't, the courts would be backlogged for decades.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:55 PM
beden1
Drifting

I misunderstood ... I thought this was an issue mostly related to the cup tires on the Z07 package, so i retract my comment about having a tire choice.

---------------------------

For the sake of fairness, Porsche uses the same tires on some models:

I guess I'm fortunate to have Bridgestone Potenzas on my Porsche then.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:03 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Will be interesting to see if the same tires crack on the GT3 RS. Maybe Porsche pays more for the same Michelin tire and gets better rubber.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:21 PM
skip89
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default hey

they are tires not really meant for the cold. so if they give you new ones you will have the same problem next year on your own dime. Unless, you park it in a heated garage or put tires on meant for the cold temps.
they do the same with all the V8 Camaros.
So the zo7 option with the track type tires not only wear out quickly, they also will crack. just get use to it, its what you are buying, not GM doing it to you. Nice color combo, love the standard wheels the black wheels with black tires disappear in pictures.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:50 PM
BLKTA
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I wonder if heat cycling at the plant would help? My experience with the GY's is they won't crack in cold temps if driven at normal temps prior to that (if that makes sense). Just a thought.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:32 AM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 10WhiteGS
My bad - I thought the OP tires were the cup tires. I retract my statements in respect to the base tires. I am 100% wrong there.

I do agree the base Z06 tired shouldnt be cracking under freezing temps, at all.

Those with cup tires complaining are barking up the wrong tree.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:52 AM
scott76807
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

My bad - I thought the OP tires were the cup tires. I retract my statements in respect to the base tires. I am 100% wrong there.

I do agree the base Z06 tired shouldnt be cracking under freezing temps, at all.

My bad as well....I thought it was the cup 2 tires

I went out and checked mine...no cracks
Old 03-05-2015, 03:48 AM
sdtoothdoc
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Finished the prep on my car tonight including putting the stage 1 front splitter on, attaching the rear spoiler extension pieces, admiring the flat underside, and ending with a full wash.

Aside from having the cracked Super Sport tires, everything else fit and finish is nearly perfect. Orange peel is minimal and panel fitment is right on.
Attached Images    
Old 03-05-2015, 06:51 AM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

Just saw my new Z07 for the first time last night and happy to report no cracks in the cup 2 tires. Body panel alignment very good, paint finish is just ok, black shows everything. It was delivered in the single digits and has 1 mile on it. I'm leaving it with the dealer for a few weeks and they understand DO NOT move it when temps below 30.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:00 AM
Hot Rod Todd
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

This has been discussed a lot on the Stingray forum, must be a lot on the Z06 side who didn't read the posts.

Some points that came out:

The tires crack when they freeze, then are moved. If you store it in the cold you shouldn't get cracks, but if you get them cold (Below 20) and move the car you can.

The tires affected seem to be the Z51, Z06, and Z07 tires. The Base Stingray tires are not so soft. These are great tires, but if you can't live with the summer restriction you should swap them out for something else (the good news is that they sell well on the used market).

The cracks are reported to be cosmetic, so you should be able to drive your car until you get the new tires. I doubt anyone would trust them for high speed use or a track day though.

GM is treating the cracked tires as a shipping incident, not a warranty claim. Some believe this is why there are a lot of cars still sitting at the factory waiting to be delivered. My A8 Z06 was built on 1/26, and it still sits in Spring Hill TN. waiting for a truck. That's the overflow location they are using because the Bowling Green lot is full. Even so, the tires could have cracked when the moved the car from Bowling Green to Spring Hill (I hope not).

There is some talk that the cracks may not show up right away. This is of concern, since once you have the car you can be responsible for the cracks if you don't follow the freezin' rules. Michelin has outlined the restrictions well, and does not replace these as part of the tire warranty.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:54 AM
hootowlc7
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Harold may not have the best bedside manners but his premise is sound.

The buyer should be aware of what they are buying when they purchase a performance package which includes tires that barely meet the minimum DOT requirement for public road use. There are Z06 trims available that don't include this extreme tire so it's not like GM is forcing everyone to wear it. It's the same thing with the Trofeo R on the Z/28 and no one is blaming Pirelli for building performance tires that crack under load below a certain temp, because Z/28 owners know what they're getting into and those that live up North or want to daily drive simply swap out their tires for all season ones.

That said, this isn't really relevant to the thread, for the OP didn't take his car to North Dakota in his summer performance tires, it was delivered that way to him in SoCal. That is unacceptable on behalf of GM's part for it is their responsibility to get the vehicle to the owner without tire damage, be it structural or cosmetic.
Exactly. Great post. I think the sales people need to educate the buyers. Unfortunately they probably wont since it might scare off a potential buyer.

Buyers must educate themselves. This is a very substantial purchase. I find it intriguing how many here are acting the way they are about a car designed for major track use.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:13 PM
sjohnson2615
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Harold, it is good that you retracted your statement but I think you are still missing the point.
The OP lives in San Siego and while he may have understood what you were saying and intended using the tires in warm weather , how can anyone control the weather in Bowling Green ? The tires arrived in his warm destination with the tires already cracked.

Get notified of new replies

To Took Delivery A8 Z06 San Diego-CRACKED TIRES!

Old 03-05-2015, 03:33 PM
OBSSSD
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Hirohawa
Os all the manufacturers one would think GM would be extra cautious about releasing a vehicle with a potential life threatening flaw.

So embarrassing that they are allowing their Flagship vehicle to be delivered like this. It's not like some deep mechanical tear down is needed to spot this.
Just one more stain by GM on a totally botched C7Z rollout
Old 03-05-2015, 03:35 PM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by sjohnson2615
Harold, it is good that you retracted your statement but I think you are still missing the point.
The OP lives in San Siego and while he may have understood what you were saying and intended using the tires in warm weather , how can anyone control the weather in Bowling Green ? The tires arrived in his warm destination with the tires already cracked.
My point still stands on the cup tires. But, it is a FUBAR on GMs part for shipping the car with tires that can crack so easily from up North.

The rally cry that the tires shouldn't crack, that they should be designed not to crack (Now, I am talking about the cup tires) is just preposterous.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:46 PM
docf
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by OBSSSD
Just one more stain by GM on a totally botched C7Z rollout
Don't agree with your statement as to a totally botched rollout. There is nothing wrong with the vast majority of Z06-Z07. I am perfectly satisfied with mine as are friends who own theirs. As to the tire issue mistakes were made with the A8's, but easily solved by accepting the new tires if needed and by taking out the tire warranty on leaving the dealership with your exceptional vehicle if you feels added security is needed!

Quick Reply: Took Delivery A8 Z06 San Diego-CRACKED TIRES!