C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

A8 Torch Red Arrived Last Week (with Paint Issues)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 08:47 PM
marczem
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A8 Torch Red Arrived Last Week (with Paint Issues)

My A8 finally arrived on 25FEB at the courtesy dealer (I was tracking via OnStar, which was cool).

The Good: Like the color combo, car feels solid, the tires have no cracks as far as I can tell, A8 (only 9 miles worth though, since weather hasn't been cooperating).

The Bad: Swirl marks throughout the paint (BG cleaners must have used dirty rag to wipe down); stinger stripe has multiple bubbles and obvious creases where the stripe meets the front edge of hood; dirt/dust in clear coat/paint (there is a small bump that is visible with naked eye) -- dealer said hood has to be repainted; rear body panels are slightly misaligned.

I'm very disappointed about the paint quality. I can use my orbiter to remove the swirl marks, but what I don't understand is how QC can release the car with obvious issues to the stinger stripe and dust in paint. I was surprised to learn that stinger stripe was a decal (painted decal) -- not a big deal I guess if it's applied correctly.

Still excited to drive the car when it warms up though!
Attached Images       
Old 03-05-2015, 09:00 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

Will the dealer be providing a free FULL detail?
Old 03-05-2015, 09:03 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Even if they would I wouldn't let them. They even wash cars incorrectly.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:17 PM
marczem
Advanced

Originally Posted by JackTripper
Will the dealer be providing a free FULL detail?
They offered to buff out all the swirl marks, but I can do the same with my orbiter -- plus I'd rather do it myself since I know I would wash it correctly and use freshly washed micro fiber mitt and towels. The courtesy dealer was reasonable (not their fault that it arrived this way).

I do want the stinger stripe and hood fixed though.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:02 PM
sixthsense114
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by marczem
They offered to buff out all the swirl marks, but I can do the same with my orbiter -- plus I'd rather do it myself since I know I would wash it correctly and use freshly washed micro fiber mitt and towels. The courtesy dealer was reasonable (not their fault that it arrived this way).

I do want the stinger stripe and hood fixed though.
Sloppy paint job and parts misaligned is very bad quality control,Not acceptable for a 100K product. I ordered one with TPW 04/13/2015, I'm really concerned about the quality.You should complain to GM. Some carrier companies handle the car very bad which might cause stress on the panels.Hope you get everything fixed and enjoy your ride.
I ordered black 3LZ Z07 black wheels and yellow calipers. hope i get it in good shape.it has to come all the way to california....
Old 03-05-2015, 10:12 PM
Kingspoke
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Mine had a lot of swirls, as well as a lot of orange peel.
My hood was not aligned properly and consequently the hood seal (where the hinge is) was crimped at the passenger side. The dealership re-aligned the hood and replaced the seal.

I have to laugh when you see the video with the QC guy using the measuring sticks checking to assure the proper clearances between the panels. Good PR but obviously too many cars get past BG's QC.

Smart move not letting the dealership detail your car, as it would only get worse in most cases. Obviously your hood will have to be re-sprayed or replaced, which would be a good opportunity to do a better paint finish to the underside, as a courtesy.:thumbs

Here's another recent thread where BG dropped the ball. It ended well as will yours! https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...re-cracks.html

Last edited by Kingspoke; 03-05-2015 at 11:10 PM. Reason: type o
Old 03-05-2015, 10:35 PM
marczem
Advanced

Originally Posted by sixthsense114
Sloppy paint job and parts misaligned is very bad quality control,Not acceptable for a 100K product. I ordered one with TPW 04/13/2015, I'm really concerned about the quality.You should complain to GM. Some carrier companies handle the car very bad which might cause stress on the panels.Hope you get everything fixed and enjoy your ride.
I ordered black 3LZ Z07 black wheels and yellow calipers. hope i get it in good shape.it has to come all the way to california....
I will complain to GM -- unsure if it will help, but maybe they can track who did QC. My 2014 was near perfect with the exception of clear coat overspray near one of the rear quarter panels (there was a bump/build-up where the panels meet). That was difficult to see, so I can understand how it was missed. The stinger stripe on Z06 is very visible however. Good luck with yours. Black with yellow calipers is a nice color combo!

Originally Posted by Kingspoke
Mine had a lot of swirls, as well as a lot of orange peel.
My hood was not aligned propertly and consequently the hood seal (where the hinge is) was crimped at the passenger side. The dealership re-aligned the hood and replaced the seal.

I have to laugh when you see the video with the QC guy using the measuring sticks checking to assure the proper clearances between the panels. Good PR but obviously too many cars get past BG's QC.

Smart move not letting the dealership detail your car, as it would only get worse in most cases. Obviously your hood will have to be re-sprayed or replaced, which would be a good opportunity to do a better paint finish to the underside, as a courtesy.:thumbs

Here's another recent thread where BG dropped the ball. It ended well as will yours! https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...re-cracks.html
I agree -- too many cars are getting past QC. Unfortunately the message is quantity over quality and this is supposed to be their flagship car.

Last edited by marczem; 03-06-2015 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:35 PM
fjaphd
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I will complain to GM -- unsure it will help, but maybe they can track who did QC. My 2014 was near perfect with the exception of clear coat overspray near one of the rear quarter panels (there was a bump/build-up where the panels meet). That was difficult to see, so I can understand how it was missed. The stinger stripe on Z06 is very visible however. Good luck with yours. Black with yellow calipers is a nice color combo!

I agree -- too many cars are getting past QC. Unfortunately the message is quantity over quality and this is supposed to be their flagship car.
No problems w/ my zo7 vert-paint very good fit & finish as well.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:39 PM
Kingspoke
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by fjaphd
No problems w/ my zo7 vert-paint very good fit & finish as well.
That's the way it should be for every car leaving BG, or least that should be the goal.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:53 AM
marczem
Advanced

It should be that way. I can't wait until mine is fixed (hopefully in next two weeks). I will post the after pics.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:32 PM
Coc5
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Use #6.
http://3mcollision.com/media/pdf/Pai...el_Process.pdf
If you take the car to anyone who does not use ultrafine polish, LEAVE!
Do NOT use Zaino, don't waste your time and money, don't use ANYTHING but the ultrafine. It is all you need.
I have two black vehicles and this is the BEST you can do for your paint. It WILL remove swirlmarks and ESPECIALLY Holograms that us black car owners suffer from. Holograms are almost always mistaken for swirl marks on dark colors. Holograms are finer than swirl marks, that is why they will come back AFTER a swirl mark remover.
Waxes and a regular polishes covers swirlmarks. Don't believe me, try what you have on a black car and I guarantee holograms will be back in a day or two. I DON"T care what the Zaino folks tell you. I have used EVERYTHING over the course of 10 years and threw away Zaino and all the other magic polishes and waxes.
I know it is your car, but if I were to buy a new Vette, I would without a doubt use what I suggested. You will NOT be disappointed, even after a few days of using it. I use a California duster and go.
PLUS, the ultrafina WILL far outlast ANY other wax or polish. I don't wax after using the ultrafina on my black vehicles. It last probably 40-50 washes.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:34 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by Coc5
Use #6.
Do NOT use Zaino, don't waste your time and money, don't use ANYTHING but the ultrafine. It is all you need.
I have two black vehicles and this is the BEST you can do for your paint. It WILL remove swirlmarks and ESPECIALLY Holograms that us black car owners suffer from. Holograms are almost always mistaken for swirl marks on dark colors. Holograms are finer than swirl marks, that is why they will come back AFTER a swirl mark remover.
Waxes and a regular polishes covers swirlmarks. Don't believe me, try what you have on a black car and I guarantee holograms will be back in a day or two. I DON"T care what the Zaino folks tell you. I have used EVERYTHING over the course of 10 years and threw away Zaino and all the other magic polishes and waxes.
I know it is your car, but if I were to buy a new Vette, I would without a doubt use what I suggested. You will NOT be disappointed, even after a few days of using it. I use a California duster and go.
PLUS, the ultrafina WILL far outlast ANY other wax or polish. I don't wax after using the ultrafina on my black vehicles. It last probably 40-50 washes.
I find this very interesting. Where do you acquire ultrafina? And is it only 1 product? Or are there more than 1 to choose or stage?
Thnx,David

Last edited by Thomasmoto; 03-06-2015 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:56 AM
Jontall
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use #6.
I'm going to try it.
Old 03-07-2015, 02:35 PM
sixthsense114
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

After reading some horrific customer woes about GM quality I emailed customer service raising concerns about my order/delivery.I mentioned in my email that I'm documenting the issues and will send them to corporate head-office with my concerns.
I got a call from GM Customer service and they took some info on a recorded line.I listed these concerns.
1) Bad paint job with bubbles and swirl marks
2) Clear coat over dust
3) Cracked tires
4) Not properly aligned panels.
5) Dealers not handling the car well upon arrival/ failing to check the car thoroughly.
The customer service rep appeared to be legitimately concerned and assured me of a followup,she opened a case number.I advised them to read peoples concern in the forum and take some action.I hope GM will take these issues seriously.
I will not take delivery of my car if i notice any minor issue.Everyone deserves 100% satisfaction for their hard earned money spent, regardless of a 100K car or 10K car.I hope GM will look into this seriously.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:03 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Use #6.
Anyone who polishes knows.
The finer swirls come out first and are gone once you get the bigger ones removed. Nice try with the non sense post trying to sell a product. 3M is good stuff but you need to learn your products Caifornia dusters will leave marks on black.

I use the 3m you wet sand the defect and then 3m rubbing compound and then 3m Polish then ultrafine.(is not wax or polish sealant)
THEN Liquid Glass ! You cannot go 40-50 carwashes with no top coat wax. You have to do a step 8 not listed.
Clearly you have no idea.

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 03-07-2015 at 11:23 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:33 PM
marczem
Advanced

Originally Posted by sixthsense114
After reading some horrific customer woes about GM quality I emailed customer service raising concerns about my order/delivery.I mentioned in my email that I'm documenting the issues and will send them to corporate head-office with my concerns.
I got a call from GM Customer service and they took some info on a recorded line.I listed these concerns.
1) Bad paint job with bubbles and swirl marks
2) Clear coat over dust
3) Cracked tires
4) Not properly aligned panels.
5) Dealers not handling the car well upon arrival/ failing to check the car thoroughly.
The customer service rep appeared to be legitimately concerned and assured me of a followup,she opened a case number.I advised them to read peoples concern in the forum and take some action.I hope GM will take these issues seriously.
I will not take delivery of my car if i notice any minor issue.Everyone deserves 100% satisfaction for their hard earned money spent, regardless of a 100K car or 10K car.I hope GM will look into this seriously.
Interesting. I did contact GM corporate to make them aware of the issues on my car. They said someone would be contacting me soon (hopefully today).

I realize that no car will arrive 100% perfect, but air bubbles in stinger stripe and dust under the paint is unacceptable. I can live with a little orange peel and some swirl marks (I can get rid of swirl marks myself anyway)...

I thought there would have been more attention to detail on GM's flagship vehicle...
Old 03-09-2015, 04:59 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

Interesting. I did contact GM corporate to make them aware of the issues on my car. They said someone would be contacting me soon (hopefully today).

I realize that no car will arrive 100% perfect, but air bubbles in stinger stripe and dust under the paint is unacceptable. I can live with a little orange peel and some swirl marks (I can get rid of swirl marks myself anyway)...

I thought there would have been more attention to detail on GM's flagship vehicle...
I hate reading about the paint defects and misaligned panels on the C7s being delivered. It is shameful for any car, not just the C7. I hope GM is able to resolve your problems and you're able to enjoy your new toy soon. Hopefully they won't have to repaint your hood.

Get notified of new replies

To A8 Torch Red Arrived Last Week (with Paint Issues)

Quick Reply: A8 Torch Red Arrived Last Week (with Paint Issues)