C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Oil drain plug?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 05:42 PM
L Duncan
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Oil drain plug?

Just bought 2 magnetic drain plugs at advanced auto for the 2014 corvette stingray. Will they fit my 2015 Z06?
Old 03-29-2015, 06:18 PM
Bmbarney
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by L Duncan
Just bought 2 magnetic drain plugs at advanced auto for the 2014 corvette stingray. Will they fit my 2015 Z06?
It appears the two bolts are the same size? I noticed that Power Slug Racing shows two different part numbers if you enter 2015 Corvette Z06.

http://www.powerslutracing.com

Interesting write up:

http://www.powerslutracing.com/p-280...ain-plugs.html

Last edited by Bmbarney; 03-29-2015 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:19 PM
Vegas Panton
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Default plugs

They should

Last edited by Vegas Panton; 03-29-2015 at 09:57 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-29-2015, 06:22 PM
VinnieA
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes they work.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:03 PM
sahlbom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by L Duncan
I suggest returning the Advance Auto parts and ordering from PowerSlut Racing. I bought one from Auto Zone (Needa #653096, which is what I believe Advance sells) and compared it to the PowerSlut plugs that I installed several months ago.

The Needa part I tested has a weak magnet that is not glued in well. For more details see post #32 at:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...l-plugs-2.html

The drain plug doesn't collect enough ferrous debris to offer any real protection to the engine. But if you see large particles on it when you change oil, then that should alert you to do a filter inspection and oil analysis to determine the extent of the problem. Normally the drain plug magnet should only have very fine particles that look more like black sludge than filings.

To protect the engine you need REAL magnets, like the FilterMAG SS300 magnetic wraps that attach to the outside of the oil filter. One of these has about 200# of pull, compared to about 2# for the PowerSlut drain plug. I used two FilterMAG's on my 2015 Z51 filter.

For photos of what was collected after only 480 miles see post 22 at:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...0-miles-2.html

For a recent used oil analysis of the oil see:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...732-miles.html
The following users liked this post:
thepartsman (01-06-2021)
Old 03-30-2015, 09:36 PM
TON C7S
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

You want the best magnetic drain plugs. Go online and get them from goldplug.com There is no comparing them to powerslut racing or anyone else.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:41 PM
Bmbarney
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TON C7S
You want the best magnetic drain plugs. Go online and get them from goldplug.com There is no comparing them to powerslut racing or anyone else.
Weird that they don't show Chevrolet
Old 03-30-2015, 09:43 PM
TON C7S
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmbarney
Weird that they don't show Chevrolet
Part # AP-04
Old 03-30-2015, 10:23 PM
sahlbom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At that price, the money is better spent on filter magnet wraps, in my opinion. Is there a review anywhere comparing the Gold Plug to other suppliers' plugs?
Old 03-30-2015, 10:45 PM
AD2386
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by sahlbom
At that price, the money is better spent on filter magnet wraps, in my opinion. Is there a review anywhere comparing the Gold Plug to other suppliers' plugs?
You can have filtermag and have Gold Plug magnetic drain plugs. I have used them and there quality is amazing. The magnet is strong. Try one and you will know the difference in quality. Give them a call and talk to them. They are very helpful and knowledgeable.
Old 01-06-2021, 04:34 AM
thepartsman
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with Filter Mag type oil filter wraps!

Originally Posted by sahlbom
I suggest returning the Advance Auto parts and ordering from PowerSlut Racing. I bought one from Auto Zone (Needa #653096, which is what I believe Advance sells) and compared it to the PowerSlut plugs that I installed several months ago.

The Needa part I tested has a weak magnet that is not glued in well. For more details see post #32 at:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...l-plugs-2.html

The drain plug doesn't collect enough ferrous debris to offer any real protection to the engine. But if you see large particles on it when you change oil, then that should alert you to do a filter inspection and oil analysis to determine the extent of the problem. Normally the drain plug magnet should only have very fine particles that look more like black sludge than filings.

To protect the engine you need REAL magnets, like the FilterMAG SS300 magnetic wraps that attach to the outside of the oil filter. One of these has about 200# of pull, compared to about 2# for the PowerSlut drain plug. I used two FilterMAG's on my 2015 Z51 filter.

For photos of what was collected after only 480 miles see post 22 at:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...0-miles-2.html

For a recent used oil analysis of the oil see:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...732-miles.html

Hey Guys... I would like to direct those that are looking at the wrap around magnets to check out this technical page on oil filters.

www.OilFilterMagnets.com

Hope this info helps those trying to protect their Corvette engines.

Take care,
Gary
“1978” 25 Year Anniversary Vette
Old 01-06-2021, 05:21 AM
thepartsman
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power **** Racing Makes Awesome Magnetic Drain Plugs

I would like to mention that Power **** Racing makes an incredibly powerful magnetic oil drain plug, it is the strongest in the industry. You can easily lift a 3 to 5 pound weight with one of their plugs. There is no need to pay $20 or more for a Gold Plug, you are obviously paying for a name but there are two important issues to consider. Remember that every time you install a drain plug you stretch the threads a little, so technically you need to change them every so often. I see that GP says theirs are “lifetime” even though no OEM manufacturer has ever recommend that. Additionally, all magnets loose gauss power with heat, so using a magnetic plug over and over means less and less power over time. Buy a few PSR plugs for less per unit and change every 5th or 7th or even 10th oil change.

Hope this info helps, take care.
Gary the Partsman
GWR
1978 C3 “25th Anniversary”

Get notified of new replies

To Oil drain plug?

Quick Reply: Oil drain plug?