C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Z06/Z07 issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 04:05 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Default Z06/Z07 issues

I instructed two track days at CoTA this last weekend.
Just a note on the new Z07 version of the Z06 Corvette. We had several C7 Corvettes, including at least 4 Z06s……..
However the Z07 version of the Z06 had some interesting side effects. On each of the two Z07 versions, on two different days, two different instructors with vast track experience GOT SICK and threw up all over the new cars!!!! Seriously!
No idea if the cause was that track that particular car or suspension (track setting) or whatever, but it was embarrassing, dangerous and very upsetting to the owner/driver. Just something to consider if you think about riding with or instructing someone. After that, you couldn’t PAY anyone to ride in one.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:16 PM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

One of the reasons I stopped instructing (not Z07s). I started feeling sick as a passenger. I have no problem as the driver but as I got older I had more problems with motion sickness. It is weird you have instuctors getting sick though. Higher g forces? But you would think that they would have instructed in cars with track/race tires that could pull similar g's.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:53 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 735 Likes on 482 Posts

Damn I hope they were wearing open face helmets!! lol
Old 03-31-2015, 06:14 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

I've got pictures of the black one...it wasn't pretty.

Sounds like a new option package from the factory..."The Vomit Comet" track package should include ScotchGuard on all interior surfaces, and a barf bag in a pocket under the seat.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:20 PM
Babaron
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

This is so weird! I was at Spring Mountain last month. I drove the only Z06 they had at the time. (Not a Z07.) It was a blast...as long as I was driving it.

The ONE TIME I did a ride along with the instructor driving, I experienced so much G-force that I got very queasy. Luckily, no hurling. And I am also a pilot, so motion sickness usually doesn't bother me.

Weird! It's gotta be the huge G-forces generated.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:03 PM
Foxer55
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

From Wikipedia:

"Motion sickness or kinetosis, also known as travel sickness, is a condition in which a disagreement exists between visually perceived movement and the vestibular system's sense of movement."

I other words, the fluid in your middle ear is not moving in the same way your vision is seeing the horizon and there is a disconnect between the two references which causes nausea. Your brain can't interpret the two mismatched references and the tummy is the alarm system. Every pilot knows that. I was flying check pilot with a guy one night who wanted to do night instrument practice and he was fine under the hood but the plane was all over the sky and I had no reference to the horizon making me nauseous.

I think what is happening is the car is so glued to the track that it can make incredible g-force changes that are beyond the passenger's brain signal processor to tolerate. Funny post though, I guess I'll need to interview my instructors this year.

Last edited by Foxer55; 03-31-2015 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:31 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxer55
From Wikipedia:

"Motion sickness or kinetosis, also known as travel sickness, is a condition in which a disagreement exists between visually perceived movement and the vestibular system's sense of movement."

I other words, the fluid in your middle ear is not moving in the same way your vision is seeing the horizon and there is a disconnect between the two references which causes nausea. Your brain can't interpret the two mismatched references and the tummy is the alarm system. Every pilot knows that. I was flying check pilot with a guy one night who wanted to do night instrument practice and he was fine under the hood but the plane was all over the sky and I had no reference to the horizon making me nauseous.

I think what is happening is the car is so glued to the track that it can make incredible g-force changes that are beyond the passenger's brain signal processor to tolerate. Funny post though, I guess I'll need to interview my instructors this year.
I am also a pilot. However, other cars there (8 MP4-12C McLarens, F458s, Mercedes 6.3SLS-GT and Lambos) produced just as much or more G-loading (A McLaren was quickest at 2:19.xx) So, the bottom line is that I don't know.........and neither did anybody else. Perhaps some harmonic of the suspension frequency generated by the MH suspension? Who knows??? but I posted this to generate discussion, AND to see if this phenomenon manifests itself again/ We'll see
Old 03-31-2015, 07:52 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
I am also a pilot. However, other cars there (8 MP4-12C McLarens, F458s, Mercedes 6.3SLS-GT and Lambos) produced just as much or more G-loading (A McLaren was quickest at 2:19.xx) So, the bottom line is that I don't know.........and neither did anybody else. Perhaps some harmonic of the suspension frequency generated by the MH suspension? Who knows??? but I posted this to generate discussion, AND to see if this phenomenon manifests itself again/ We'll see
That it happened TWICE over the weekend...in different cars is pretty unusual.

Will be interesting to see if it manifests itself again...I think I'm going to the May event, so we'll see. I'm sure there will be a few more there on that weekend as well.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:53 PM
soulsea
Alcoholics Unanimous
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,642 Likes on 413 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

However the Z07 version of the Z06 had some interesting side effects. On each of the two Z07 versions, on two different days, two different instructors with vast track experience GOT SICK and threw up all over the new cars!!!! Seriously!
http://www.fallacyfiles.org/posthocf.html
Old 03-31-2015, 08:17 PM
Foxer55
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1991Z07
That it happened TWICE over the weekend...in different cars is pretty unusual.

Will be interesting to see if it manifests itself again...I think I'm going to the May event, so we'll see. I'm sure there will be a few more there on that weekend as well.
I wonder if the manufacturing odors in the car combined with the Gs could do this? I know after buying a new TV a couple of years ago the stink from the thing made me so sick to my stomach I couldn't go near that end of the house for a couple of weeks. Same thing at Best Buy, I can only hang around in the TV department for a few minutes before I have to leave the store the chemical stink is so bad and I get nauseous.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:23 PM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

I have to take dramamine just to drive mine on the track. I have had several passengers complain and ask to stop early due to motion sickness. Im guessing its more to do with the negative G's these cars produce while braking. I now have the give me a warning if you start to feel sick at all. That's a automatic slow down pull into pits kick the butt out of my car.

It is crazy though this is the first car I have had that has made so many sick.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:29 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Originally Posted by lawdogg149
I have to take dramamine just to drive mine on the track. I have had several passengers complain and ask to stop early due to motion sickness. Im guessing its more to do with the negative G's these cars produce while braking. I now have the give me a warning if you start to feel sick at all. That's a automatic slow down pull into pits kick the butt out of my car.

It is crazy though this is the first car I have had that has made so many sick.
Time to start (quietly) snagging airsickness bags from the back seat pockets of the airlines and keep a few in the car in easy reach...

I can only imagine what an F1 car would be like at full tilt...
Old 03-31-2015, 08:29 PM
Vegaszr1vette
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't the Z06/07 produce the MOST Gs on a recent car magazine test? Car and Driver I believe?

For motion sickness Diphenhydramine works surprisingly well.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:37 PM
Foxer55
Drifting

NEW CORVETTE Z07 DASH PLACARD.

Last edited by Foxer55; 03-31-2015 at 09:15 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:52 PM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

LOLOLOLOL! About time we had some humor in here. I feel bad for the instructors, but still kinda funny nonetheless.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:09 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

I am going to guess that the orange peel on the body panels is causing air turbulence that is causing the nausea.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:45 AM
jsmbluecar
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

My wife was getting nauseous a bit today but it's because she was looking at the nav screen too much.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06/Z07 issues

Old 04-01-2015, 06:02 AM
hootowlc7
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

I get sick in a IMAX theater watching Mt St Helens. Had to close my eyes.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:29 AM
capecodvette
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

I am getting motion sickness reading this thread..
Old 04-01-2015, 10:15 AM
Leadfoot01
Instructor

Received 176 Likes on 47 Posts

I agree with Lawdogg--I got a bit queasy in my ZO7 during my first track event also. The car was pulling up to 1.44g's on the track which is more than I had previously experienced in my 2010 Viper ACR or 2011 GT3RS (according to the tracmate). I honestly believe that is the culprit in this situation......

I'm going Dramamine/ redbull route next event! Thanks Jeremy!

Quick Reply: Z06/Z07 issues