C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

New Z07, 1st track day

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 11:44 AM
Lakeway
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default New Z07, 1st track day

I enjoy reading everyone's post and thought I should reciprocate by sharing my experience from my first track day with the Z07.

Picked up the car last week in N. Carolina. Drove it back to Texas (had an oil change along the way) and had it ready for a 1/2-day event at COTA Monday.

I have the A8 and kept it in Track Mode. Acceleration and handling were great. Top-end speed down the long back straight was less than I expected. I was getting ~145 MPH in my 2011 GS and that's what I was getting in the new car. I checked some others' online videos from their PDRs and they're about the same. I'll have to check all the settings to see if I have it maxed out.

Overall it was really great. I'm sure I can push it much harder (brake later, improve my entries and exits). The Pilot Sport Cup 2s were great...never had any traction worries. But they'll be gone in another 1,000 miles I'm sure. Probably getting Super Sports for the next set.

I also drove a 911 GT3 for a few laps at this event. Great car. Still keeping my Z though.

Last edited by Lakeway; 04-01-2015 at 11:48 AM. Reason: spelling fix; more info
Old 04-01-2015, 11:55 AM
ChrisN123
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the posting. Sounds like a blast.

Do you recall what Track sub-mode you were in? Also, how many hard laps were you doing in a row? What was the outside temperature at the track? Any heat issues? Would be awesome to get a PDR video along with the vehicle health screens from Cosworth Toolbox.

Thanks!
Old 04-01-2015, 12:08 PM
Lakeway
Intermediate

1. I don't know what sub mode it was in. Haven't had time to get that deep into it. Looking forward to it though!
2. Was doing 6-7 laps (COTA is 3.41 miles). Sessions were supposed to be 20 minutes.
3. It was 75-80 degrees and cloudy. Never got any warnings. But it was running pretty hot after 6-7 laps on one session so I used the final full lap as a cool down. Never had any problems.
4. I need to check out the Cosworth Toolbox. Like the sub modes, I'll need to find some time to learn all that properly.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:31 PM
DaveN007
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Manual mode for shifts?
Old 04-01-2015, 12:31 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Lakeway
I enjoy reading everyone's post and thought I should reciprocate by sharing my experience from my first track day with the Z07.

Picked up the car last week in N. Carolina. Drove it back to Texas (had an oil change along the way) and had it ready for a 1/2-day event at COTA Monday.

I have the A8 and kept it in Track Mode. Acceleration and handling were great. Top-end speed down the long back straight was less than I expected. I was getting ~145 MPH in my 2011 GS and that's what I was getting in the new car. I checked some others' online videos from their PDRs and they're about the same. I'll have to check all the settings to see if I have it maxed out.

Overall it was really great. I'm sure I can push it much harder (brake later, improve my entries and exits). The Pilot Sport Cup 2s were great...never had any traction worries. But they'll be gone in another 1,000 miles I'm sure. Probably getting Super Sports for the next set.

I also drove a 911 GT3 for a few laps at this event. Great car. Still keeping my Z though.
Hi Lakeway,
I was instructing at that event on Monday (also on Sunday). I am "sure" that you heard of the "issues" with the new Z06/Z07 Corvettes which were there both days. So, my questions to you are:
1) was your car one in which the passenger/instructor had "issues"?
2) has any passenger ever had "issues" in your car?
3) please post IF those issues ever do happen
Thanks,
Old 04-01-2015, 12:35 PM
Lakeway
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DaveN007
Manual mode for shifts?
Not this time. Just letting the AT do its thing in Track Mode. It did a good job.
Like I said, I drove the GT3 with PDK. Couldn't tell much difference.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:37 PM
Lakeway
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Hi Lakeway,
I was instructing at that event on Monday (also on Sunday). I am "sure" that you heard of the "issues" with the new Z06/Z07 Corvettes which were there both days. So, my questions to you are:
Thanks,
Ha, no "issues"
We both kept our cookies down.
Never was a concern as far as I know. Maybe I wasn't driving hard enough
Old 04-01-2015, 12:43 PM
ChrisN123
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Great. Another fatal design flaw--- lack of air sickness bags.

@Lakeway: If you share your raw PDR file (not a youtube version) from a long session (maybe via Dropbox), I'd be happy to use Cosworth toolbox to extract and share the temperature logs.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:26 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

I don't know to what extent it truly matters, but in the GTR vs ZO6 analysis the downforce/drag of the ZO7 slowed it down, apparently by a good margin, on the straights once the speed got up there.

I don't know if 145 is "up there" enough to be a problem.

I personally wouldn't trade downforce and stability for speed on the straight, but I imagine adjusting the spoiler(s) would make a difference.

Wouldn't want to necessarily carry around the weight of active aero the other 99.9% of the time, but it might be a good feature. Massive downforce where needed, just enough otherwise. And airbrakes just -look- cool. Might be an interesting aftermarket product if the mounting points could handle the load of an airbrake.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:32 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Lakeway

Was just wondering with the drive from NC to TX did you have the recommended 1500 break in miles on the car before taking it to a track event?

Bill
Old 04-01-2015, 01:49 PM
Lakeway
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Was just wondering with the drive from NC to TX did you have the recommended 1500 break in miles on the car before taking it to a track event?

Bill
I sure did. The drive back plus a few weekend miles had me just past 1,500.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:59 PM
Lakeway
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
I don't know to what extent it truly matters, but in the GTR vs ZO6 analysis the downforce/drag of the ZO7 slowed it down, apparently by a good margin, on the straights once the speed got up there.

I don't know if 145 is "up there" enough to be a problem.

I personally wouldn't trade downforce and stability for speed on the straight, but I imagine adjusting the spoiler(s) would make a difference.

Wouldn't want to necessarily carry around the weight of active aero the other 99.9% of the time, but it might be a good feature. Massive downforce where needed, just enough otherwise. And airbrakes just -look- cool. Might be an interesting aftermarket product if the mounting points could handle the load of an airbrake.
Dave--you make a great point. I did have wing/spoiler all the way up for the event. Will have to see if adjustments to that affect the straightaway speed and handling in any significant fashion.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:03 PM
racer778
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Hi Lakeway,
That was my car
No passenger in this car beside's my wife but didnt drive like a bat out of hell
Thanks,
I have the ZO6/ZO7 manual. I left the wicker bill at the highest setting did not change the lower side winglets. I had Sport cup's on the rear of the car. On the back straight I was up to 151 with no problem but would brake early as I am not used to this car. My exit speed to the back straight needs alot of work as well. My speed at the granstand straight was 132 before I hit the brakes which i believe I had more room to brake with the elevation really making your car squat. I had not overheat issues at the track. I hope to meet some of you at the next event to get some pointers.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:09 PM
Lakeway
Intermediate

Originally Posted by racer778
I have the ZO6/ZO7 manual. I left the wicker bill at the highest setting did not change the lower side winglets. I had Sport cup's on the rear of the car. On the back straight I was up to 151 with no problem but would brake early as I am not used to this car. My exit speed to the back straight needs alot of work as well. My speed at the granstand straight was 132 before I hit the brakes which i believe I had more room to brake with the elevation really making your car squat. I had not overheat issues at the track. I hope to meet some of you at the next event to get some pointers.
Racer778,
I also got 130 mph on the home straight and going up the hill.
That was faster than my C6.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:07 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisN123
Thanks for the posting. Sounds like a blast.

Do you recall what Track sub-mode you were in? Also, how many hard laps were you doing in a row? What was the outside temperature at the track? Any heat issues? Would be awesome to get a PDR video along with the vehicle health screens from Cosworth Toolbox.

Thanks!
If you just placed the mode to Track, then it defaults to "Wet". You have to go into the sub-modes to get to Dry, Sport 1, Sport 2 or Race. I know at the track, the car kills power until the steering is unwound. It did not do this in Sport 1 as much as in Wet. I never tried "Race" or "Sport 2".
Old 04-01-2015, 07:03 PM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Lap times? How many track days experience on COTA?
Old 04-02-2015, 01:01 PM
DaveN007
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by NineBall
Lap times? How many track days experience on COTA?
This is relevant to the overheating question. Maybe someone can chime in with what constitutes a quick lap in a street car at COTA. If someone is running 2:00 at Laguna and reporting "no issues" that doesn't say much versus 2:00 at Thunderhill.

Get notified of new replies

To New Z07, 1st track day

Quick Reply: New Z07, 1st track day