C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Tune with torco octane booster or not?

Old 04-01-2015, 09:08 PM
king awesome!
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tune with torco octane booster or not?

We have 91 octane gas in AZ and I am installing AR long tube headers and catless x-pipe along with the Halltech CKNZ high flow intake on Monday. they will also be tuning the car at time of install. Adding 30 oz of Torco octane booster to a full tank adds an additional +4 octane. Is there any benifit (or detriment) to tuning the car with the octane booster? If I tune it with the octane booster will I need to run with it all the time? I add 60 oz on track days. Thanks for your replies.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:40 PM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by king awesome!
We have 91 octane gas in AZ and I am installing AR long tube headers and catless x-pipe along with the Halltech CKNZ high flow intake on Monday. they will also be tuning the car at time of install. Adding 30 oz of Torco octane booster to a full tank adds an additional +4 octane. Is there any benifit (or detriment) to tuning the car with the octane booster? If I tune it with the octane booster will I need to run with it all the time? I add 60 oz on track days. Thanks for your replies.
I've got a C5 with a stroked LS3 418 forged/dry sumped motor. I run around 14#s with my Paxton Novi 2K blower. I make around 800 RWHP, tuned on 91 with 2 quarts of Torco per 18 gallons. I've been running this way for almost 10 years, works GREAT!! Used to have to lug around 5 gallon jugs of 100.

I'm sure there will be some to scuff at this, been hearing it for years...

Please see the vid below in my sig, this car has seen 200+ MPH with this tune and Torco MANY times!
Old 04-01-2015, 09:59 PM
SgtC6
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

The Torco will allow for more timing. I would suggest if your gonna tune with it to always try and run it. That said, I ran it in my ZL1 and on several occasions ran out and couldn't get more for a few days. I would add last of it, fill tank and then refill at half tank. I never had an issue, but drove it like my grandmother's Towncar...
Old 04-01-2015, 10:20 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 728 Likes on 479 Posts

For safety's sake, if you tune it for a (much) higher octane rating, you'll always have to run the car with the higher octane fuel.
Bish
Old 04-01-2015, 10:30 PM
blown383c4conv
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who's doing your tune?
Old 04-02-2015, 12:55 AM
king awesome!
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks guys. I planned on letting Dynocomp in Scottsdale tune it since they are installing the headers. It's a reputable shop with a lot of experience tuning cars. Based on comments and PM's I think I'll go ahead and tune it with torco added. I can't wait to see the difference. Who knows, maybe Corsa extreme is next. might as well **** off ALL the neighbors!
Old 04-02-2015, 01:05 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

thanks guys. I planned on letting Dynocomp in Scottsdale tune it since they are installing the headers. It's a reputable shop with a lot of experience tuning cars. Based on comments and PM's I think I'll go ahead and tune it with torco added. I can't wait to see the difference. Who knows, maybe Corsa extreme is next. might as well **** off ALL the neighbors!
Good luck, curious to see the results, please do base lines on 91 first...
Old 04-02-2015, 01:07 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

I would not tune with torco in my New Z06. Unless you want to carry it around and be screwed when you don't have it.
When you don't or mixed wrong your going to detonate.
Plenty of ways to add power besides adding torco.
The tuner will say ok cause to protect him while on the dyno.
Then may even sell it!
Easy to recommend when it is not your new Z06.

These high hp cars come at big cost. Sounds like your ready to toss in the Z06.

Just cheap advice.

The small amount you gain is not worth it. The lt1 motor likes a lot less timing Not sure on the Lt4.

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 04-02-2015 at 01:14 AM.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:15 AM
scott76807
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I would tune with the best octane you can, your not going to drive it on the edge all the time

Get notified of new replies

To Tune with torco octane booster or not?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tune with torco octane booster or not?