C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Shipment delay for the Halltech Stinger-RZ intakes

Old 04-19-2015, 10:20 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 582 Likes on 312 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Shipment delay for the Halltech Stinger-RZ intakes

Friday, we had quality control stop production. I could not believe it, but there is a problem with the bridge (tube) part of our intake that will cause an airleak over time. It was pointed out to me Friday afternoon, so I did some of my own testing and found that the hole for our grommets was drilled too large for the 300 grommets we have, but in addition, the plastic is way too thick, causing more restriction to flow that I want. That means tossing over 25 systems.

The solution is not easy. It will require machining the one mold to open up the entrance, and just past the MAF to 105mm. Our plant does there own molds so they can get it done in one week to 10 days. We then have to have it re-textured, which can take two to three days.

I apologize for this delay, and ask for your patience. Luckily this was caught before we started shipping the masses. Three did ship before this was caught and I will contact them to get new systems out as soon as possible. In the end, the plastic units will be identical in every way to the carbon CKNZ.

Jim Hall

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Old 04-19-2015, 10:31 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Our carbon fiber units are 4 weeks backordered, so that is not a solution.

One thing that we have found out for sure, the plastic Stinger-RZ does not need compensatory tuning (MAF translation tuning) at all. Once it mimics the carbon fiber unit, we may have to offer both filters as we do with the carbon fiber units.

Last edited by Halltech; 04-20-2015 at 12:57 AM.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:18 AM
Patriot77
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thank You for your incredible honesty Jim. We know that you want it to be right and that means a ton to all of us who have it on order.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:19 AM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

I am good on the CKNZ.......I have a ship date now! If it slips slightly it is not the end of the earth........
Old 04-19-2015, 11:24 AM
Flyboy22
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Halltech
Our carbon fiber units are 4 weeks backordered, so that is not a solution.

One thing that we have found out for sure, the plastic Stinger-RZ does not need compensatory tuning (MAF translation tuning) at all. Once it mimics the carbon fiber unit, we may have to offer both filters as we do with the carbon fiber units.

I tried to get our carbon fiber shop to get up to 2 per day and was pretty much bitch slapped for that idea. One guy in the world is making our intakes, and he is working our projects and another major companies projects.

3 per week is it for the CKNZ.
I'm confused. Are you saying after the revision that it WILL require tuning to use the high flow?

That's a deal breaker for me.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:35 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Patriot77
Thank You for your incredible honesty Jim. We know that you want it to be right and that means a ton to all of us who have it on order.
I appreciate your patience.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:40 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Flyboy22
I'm confused. Are you saying after the revision that it WILL require tuning to use the high flow?

That's a deal breaker for me.
The revision will require the Synthetic filter and no tuning. The high flow filter will be optional.

None of our intakes require compensatory tuning.

"Require tuning" What does that mean? It means that an intake under-reports the actual air passing by the MAF sensor. It creates positive Long Term Fuel Trims, which end up leaning out Open Loop.

The Synthetic Filter allows perfect LTFTs so no type of adjustments are ever necessary with our intake combinations.

I know of one intake that was put on the market that had 14:1 air fuel ratios in OL. That would qualify as a must tune intake.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:42 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by firstgear
I am good on the CKNZ.......I have a ship date now! If it slips slightly it is not the end of the earth........
Anyone who has purchased the CKNZ will get delivery. We are at 17 to go. No problems with the CKNZ except delivery capacity.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:52 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

We are planning on shipping both filters with all orders for this delay.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:56 AM
Patriot77
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Iam a "mechanical dummy". So which one of the 2 do I have my Chevy dealer install??? Maybe you can mark the one for dummys like me.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:00 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Patriot77
Iam a "mechanical dummy". So which one of the 2 do I have my Chevy dealer install??? Maybe you can mark the one for dummys like me.
We pre-assemble the intakes with the filter already in the airbox. Have them install the Synthetic filter which will be marked as such and in the airbox. The high flow will be marked, and is for your day at the track with a few more points of Octane.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:01 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

wow that is really nice of ya. thanks for the update and openness as this product comes to final stages
Old 04-19-2015, 12:28 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by dvandentop
wow that is really nice of ya. thanks for the update and openness as this product comes to final stages
Making these kinds of decisions is the hardest part of owning your own business. I figure some customers will jump ship, but what I am doing is necessary to make our intake perform like the CKNZ.

In my zeal to keep the fuel trims perfect, I actually went too far in that direction. Since starting the plastic version, we have become more and more confident that the CKNZ, running the high flow filter, is not going to be a problem. I have 3500 miles of high performance use, and dyno testing with the high flow on our Z07.

The CKNZ uses the high flow filter for ultimate performance, and should at least a review of fuel trims on the dyno, but not necessarily tuning of any kind. The SynFilter needs no review, just bolt and go.

This will be the case with the plastic version as well when we are done with the mold.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:36 PM
fjaphd
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Friday, we had quality control stop production. I could not believe it, but there is a problem with the bridge (tube) part of our intake that will cause an airleak over time. It was pointed out to me Friday afternoon, so I did some of my own testing and found that the hole for our grommets was drilled too large for the 300 grommets we have, but in addition, the plastic is way too thick, causing more restriction to flow that I want. That means tossing over 25 systems.

The solution is not easy. It will require machining the one mold to open up the entrance, and just past the MAF to 105mm. Our plant does there own molds so they can get it done in one week to 10 days. We then have to have it re-textured, which can take two to three days.

I apologize for this delay, and ask for your patience. Luckily this was caught before we started shipping the masses. Three did ship before this was caught and I will contact them to get new systems out as soon as possible. In the end, the plastic units will be identical in every way to the carbon CKNZ.

Jim Hall
Thanks Jim, We know you will make it right-can't wait for mine!
Old 04-19-2015, 12:48 PM
blown383c4conv
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim what octane do you have in your neck of the woods? Anyone test the hi flow cknz with 91 Octane?
Old 04-19-2015, 01:07 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by blown383c4conv
Jim what octane do you have in your neck of the woods? Anyone test the hi flow cknz with 91 Octane?
93 here. We have had a dyno test in MA with 91 Octane I believe. There was one in the SF area that was the first A8 and was 37 to 39 RWHP. I will have to dig to that one, but the MA dyno yielded:

Base was 572/618
Picked up 57 wheel hp with the stock tuning file
We have started to tune now a bit - no knock. We are figuring out the HP Tuner software.Scott
Old 04-19-2015, 01:17 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

This dyno was just sent last week by Wayne. Unfortunately, he did not do a stock pull, but about the best stock I have seen is around 572.
The air fuel ratio was spot on with our Synthetic Filter.

The throttle body was ported as well on this Z06

Get notified of new replies

To Shipment delay for the Halltech Stinger-RZ intakes

Old 04-19-2015, 01:56 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Default First Three

Thursday we were able to ship the first three units.

Mauricio W.
Top Speed MS
James H.

These systems will all be replaced when we get our new unit done. I personally checked these three and they were fine as far as the airleak, but need the upgraded bridge.

Safe to run in the meantime. Guaranteed 100% safe.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:17 PM
Bmbarney
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Throttle Body

Jim on a slightly different subject ... can you or anyone tell me if a ported throttle body along with the airbox may help throttle response too. It does not sound like it helps increase any power at all. This is a whole different area that I know nothing about.

http://weaponx-c7.myshopify.com/coll...le-body-ported
Old 04-19-2015, 03:02 PM
blown383c4conv
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info, hopefully mine ships out soon. Payment was pulled and now I'm chomping at the bit to get it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shipment delay for the Halltech Stinger-RZ intakes