C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Callaway Z06-NEW NUMBERS HAVE NOW BEEN RELEASED!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 03:29 AM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Lipstic

Old 07-28-2015, 03:41 AM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Very impressive. Especially if the cooling holds up, as I am sure it will.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:55 AM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 145 Posts

Thanks Chris.
So customer drops off their car and 14 days later drive away and on to track and have no heat issues on track going flat out in an A8 car ?
Sounds tempting.
Does customer get to keep all the stuff you take off the car ?

tia

Does Callaway GT3 owners/race team in Europe get a discount

Rune
Old 07-28-2015, 08:02 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Norway
Thanks Chris.
So customer drops off their car and 14 days later drive away and on to track and have no heat issues on track going flat out in an A8 car ?
Sounds tempting.
Does customer get to keep all the stuff you take off the car ?

tia

Does Callaway GT3 owners/race team in Europe get a discount

Rune
Callaway retains all take off parts.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:31 AM
Lipstic
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 60 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16,'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

No overheating on the track
Old 07-28-2015, 08:34 AM
ParishM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

wonder if they have tested their Z06 on a track with
90˚+ ambient temps ?
Old 07-28-2015, 08:38 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,787 Likes on 1,139 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

No overheating on the track
Care to try and explain how they accomplished that (for those that are actually overheating)?
Old 07-28-2015, 08:41 AM
Lipstic
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Did you read the full article?....

Cooling - Callaway engineers recognize that a key contributor to
maximizing power is reduction of inlet air temperature associated
with forced induction. Callaway’s unique triple-element intercooler
configuration provides significantly lower and well-managed inlet
charge air temperatures than single or smaller dual-element designs.
The supercharger housing extends through the hood, thereby exposing
it to outside ambient airflow and adding an element of convective
cooling. The supercharger is visible without opening the hood, and
heat is inherently extracted from the engine compartment
Old 07-28-2015, 08:44 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Yes, and I also know quite a bit about how engines work. Air charge temps aren't the Z06's current problem, as many of us have been saying since... well.. this thread started months ago. For those that are having problems, it's water and oil temps. Better cooling for the air charge will have, literally, no effect on either of those.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:00 AM
GTJim
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
Yes, and I also know quite a bit about how engines work. Air charge temps aren't the Z06's current problem, as many of us have been saying since... well.. this thread started months ago. For those that are having problems, it's water and oil temps. Better cooling for the air charge will have, literally, no effect on either of those.
If the supercharger is running cooler and not spinning so hard it very well may have positive impact on the other systems. Less heat transfer from the blower may allow the car to run cooler.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:15 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by GTJim
Less heat transfer from the blower may allow the car to run cooler.
...while at the same time, increasing output torque by nearly 130ft-lbs (which is impressive!) That increased torque is going to result in increased heat, there's no way around that. And according to the text, Callaway has done, literally, nothing to address either water or oil temperatures.

Techie aside: ICEs are some of the most inefficient things we've designed. They use somewhere around 33% of the torque they produce to actually move the car. The rest of that "power" is wasted as noise and heat! So if you increase that torque/power output, you'll increase both noise (managed by the exhaust system) and heat (managed by... um... yeah.)

Now, I don't know what their engine tuning parameters are like, but I'll bet a dollar it ends up leaning the A:F a bit more than OEM. You know what that'll result in?

(A hotter running motor).

I'm sure this package is incredible and will work well for drag racers as well as the "Cars'n'Coffee" crowd. But for the guys that are driving the snot out of these Z06s at the track and experiencing heat problems, nothing Callaway's done is going to help. In fact, they're just going to overheat faster.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:27 AM
soulsea
Alcoholics Unanimous
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,642 Likes on 413 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Cooling - Callaway engineers recognize that a key contributor to
maximizing power is reduction of inlet air temperature associated
with forced induction. Callaway’s unique triple-element intercooler
configuration provides significantly lower and well-managed inlet
charge air temperatures than single or smaller dual-element designs.
The supercharger housing extends through the hood, thereby exposing
it to outside ambient airflow and adding an element of convective
cooling. The supercharger is visible without opening the hood, and
heat is inherently extracted from the engine compartment
That's not the cooling issue that plagues these vehicles on track. Adding more than 100 hp and torque, while very impressive under a warrantable configuration, is going to exacerbate the existing track cooling issues ... in fact I suspect it will make this car close to untrackable.

I was really hoping Callaway would have seized the opportunity and remedied this, as a result this package isn't applicable to me and I will pass on it.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:35 AM
AD2386
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

How much is the extended warranty now?
Old 07-28-2015, 09:45 AM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 730 Likes on 479 Posts

Stating that this car will be able to maintain power "lap after lap" is completely disingenuous and a complete disservice to owners putting down $18K for what amounts to only an increased sized S/C and a bunch of cosmetics with NO additional engine oil and/or water cooling mods!

I will be incredibly surprised if this car performs any better, ( and it may well perform worse given the increased hp and torque), than the stock car on a road course in summer temps. Please note I'm not talking about the out and out speed of the car; obviously it will be quicker and no doubt that is what buyers of this package want, but of its ability to lap for a full session in an HPDE.

Bish
Old 07-28-2015, 10:19 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
Stating that this car will be able to maintain power "lap after lap" is completely disingenuous and a complete disservice to owners putting down $18K for what amounts to only an increased sized S/C and a bunch of cosmetics with NO additional engine oil and/or water cooling mods!

I will be incredibly surprised if this car performs any better, ( and it may well perform worse given the increased hp and torque), than the stock car on a road course in summer temps. Please note I'm not talking about the out and out speed of the car; obviously it will be quicker and no doubt that is what buyers of this package want, but of its ability to lap for a full session in an HPDE.

Bish
The "lap after lap" comment was a puzzler to me as well. The car clearly has cooling issues in stock form (when tracked in hot weather). How in the world can you add 100+HP/100+lbs/ft torque while doing nothing to the cooling systems of the car?

That said, I am surprised that a company like Callaway would make a claim without knowledge....so is it possible that the supercharger sticking out the hood (and dumping a lot of heat, I assume) does keep under hood temps down to the point that the stock cooling systems are acceptable?????

Last edited by jimmyb; 07-28-2015 at 10:27 AM.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:30 AM
gonabite
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

How many lbs of boost is this making now?
Old 07-28-2015, 10:49 AM
BigPotatoMoths
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Given the hp/tq numbers, the 50-state legality, and the warranty, this is very tempting.

Get notified of new replies

To Callaway Z06-NEW NUMBERS HAVE NOW BEEN RELEASED!

Old 07-28-2015, 11:28 AM
Lipstic
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by jvp

I'm sure this package is incredible and will work well for drag racers as well as the "Cars'n'Coffee" crowd. But for the guys that are driving the snot out of these Z06s at the track and experiencing heat problems, nothing Callaway's done is going to help. In fact, they're just going to overheat faster.
I drive the snot out of my cars, I had 24,500 miles on a 19 month old 2014 Z51 C7....I do not track as often as I would like, due to time and distance, but I do track 5 to 8 times a year. I personally know of two other people getting the Callaway modifications who track a lot more than I do.....I and one other, I personally know of, are on the Gulf Coast...so high humid temps. I do not pick up my Z06 until late August, most likely it will be toward the end of September before I am able to take her to the track. Do not worry, it is still hotter than hades in September...so we will report in after we have tracked.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:46 AM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

I drive the snot out of my cars, I had 24,500 miles on a 19 month old 2014 Z51 C7....I do not track as often as I would like, due to time and distance, but I do track 5 to 8 times a year. I personally know of two other people getting the Callaway modifications who track a lot more than I do.....I and one other, I personally know of, are on the Gulf Coast...so high humid temps. I do not pick up my Z06 until late August, most likely it will be toward the end of September before I am able to take her to the track. Do not worry, it is still hotter than hades in September...so we will report in after we have tracked.
Driving a car hard on a street is a lot different than driving it at a track day. The guys above have a point. I think it's a nice package, but for almost 17k, Callaway didn't solve the real problem of the Z06, which is high oil and coolant temps. I'm sure the blower runs a lot cooler, but I'm pretty sure the hole in the hood won't necessarily cut down oil temps.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:08 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by four0nefive
I'm sure the blower runs a lot cooler, but I'm pretty sure the hole in the hood won't necessarily cut down oil temps.
I would say cool to the touch is a LOT cooler.

JVP is a Callaway hater. He's been doing nothing but pissing on Callaway since they designed a blower that is exponentially superior to the one produced by his idol's at GM.

According to his profile he's a network engineer, yet he thinks that have the tag Tech contributor below his name and the fact that he gets to email Tadge a question every month makes him the authority on all things automotive.

Any assumption that he makes about Callaway tuning comes from ignorance especially when talking about leaning out the motor to make more power. In this case his bottom dollar is worthless.

I would say let the Callaway Z06 test its metal on the track....both drag strip and road course. I already know for a fact they will offer an HD cooling package for anyone that needs it. A larger radiator isn't exactly rocket science.

Perhaps it should be allowed to run a few laps before all of the "experts" at CF.com start running it into the ground.

Last edited by SurfnSun; 07-28-2015 at 12:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Callaway Z06-NEW NUMBERS HAVE NOW BEEN RELEASED!