C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

AL Priority System installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 11:16 AM
DSOMonster
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Default AL Priority System installed

Just got the AL Priority System installed by West Coast Corvette. The ALP system is worlds ahead of anything I've had. Had a V-1 in my Camaro SS, Beltronics STi Magnum in my silverado SS and my C6 had a FULL Passport SRX system and I thought that was the pinnacle of all systems.

This ALP system coupled with the Beltronics STi-R Plus Radar Package add-on using my Android to control everything via Bluetooth is some Star Wars "sh@!", if you know what I'm saying! I can print reports of everything the system encounters and customize how the system acts and reacts. No windshield mounts, no cords, no crazy disco lights (customizable, you can have the strobe lights going off every second, if you so desire), no crazy beeping (again, you can have it your way), just my Galaxy S5 telling me what is going on and warning me about curb dangers to protect the Carbon Fiber front splitter and rear diffuser.

ALP recommended 2 sensors up front and 2 in the back. West Coast Corvette and Chris, their tech, recommended I place 3 up front and 1 in the rear for better front detection. I went with WCC's recommendation! I have the LED installed but it works in Stealth/Dark mode. I just wanted it for backup just in case my phone died or I forget it???

Thanks to forum member george vee for all his assistance and feedback regarding the ALP system. That being said, here are some pics.
- Pic 1: Front Grill shot. You can see the 3 sensors and the big module in the middle behind the grill is the Beltronics STi-R Radar Add-On.
- Pic 2: Side Profile shot. Clearly shows the size of the Radar Add-On module.
- Pic 3: The other side.
- Pic 4: The rear sensor. I had a tough time trying to get a pic. The sensor is just to the left of the rear camera above the lic. plate.
- Pic 5: My Galaxy S5 and the ALP app used to control the system.
- Pic 6: LED placement on the Passenger Air Bag plate.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:20 AM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Bad ace!!!! This is on my short list! Very well done.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:26 AM
DSOMonster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ben@WeaponX
Bad ace!!!! This is on my short list! Very well done.
Thanks Ben. I am FULLY SURPRISED your Z does not have all the goodies available on the market. You and Weapon X are usually on the forefront of anything and everything Corvette!

We all live vicariously through you and your cars!

I guess that is how the "other half" rolls!

-Ron in SoCal
Old 04-23-2015, 11:50 AM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 730 Likes on 479 Posts

Nice job and well worth the cost for the protection. Three emitters/receptors in the front is overkill IMHO though, I would have gone with AL's recommendation.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:33 PM
DSOMonster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by thebishman
Nice job and well worth the cost for the protection. Three emitters/receptors in the front is overkill IMHO though, I would have gone with AL's recommendation.
I feel ya! Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda...vision is 20/20 in hindsight. I guess I am justifying my decision! I was bit worried after everything was installed.

I did follow up with ALP and their techs said the same thing. Overkill in the front but one sensor in the rear will suffice. The system will work fine with my setup.

I've had it running for the better part of a month now and what a slick system. I've revised my setting 5-6 times and I think I am in the sweet spot now.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:44 PM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

So this is a detection system and in no way is a jamming system?
Of course any jamming in CA is illegal.

Looks good and the sensors connect via Bluetooth? That is great.
Should work with my Note4!

This is used to detect curbs as well?

Is it something I could install myself....live in an area with no special help for this stuff.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:44 PM
tpapablo
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On my agenda too. Looks good.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:24 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 730 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by DSOMonster
I feel ya! Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda...vision is 20/20 in hindsight. I guess I am justifying my decision! I was bit worried after everything was installed.

I did follow up with ALP and their techs said the same thing. Overkill in the front but one sensor in the rear will suffice. The system will work fine with my setup.

I've had it running for the better part of a month now and what a slick system. I've revised my setting 5-6 times and I think I am in the sweet spot now.
You'll be fine as the LEOs tend to shoot for the headlights in the front and the license plate in the rear, so to be honest a three head system would be great; 2 front and 1 rear. The three heads in the front are normally reserved for large SUVs, etc.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:43 PM
DSOMonster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BOBSZ06
So this is a detection system and in no way is a jamming system?
Of course any jamming in CA is illegal.

Looks good and the sensors connect via Bluetooth? That is great.
Should work with my Note4!

This is used to detect curbs as well?

Is it something I could install myself....live in an area with no special help for this stuff.
Will work your on your Note4, no problem!

I would've installed this myself if I had the time. I used to install home/auto A/V systems in my younger days. Nothing to it. The hardest part is removing body parts to run the cables from the front/rear in to the car. Everything else is plug & play. If you have patience and general know-how, this is as easy as it gets. No special programming skills needed.

Order cable extensions from ALP for any rear sensors. I ordered them with my system learning from past mistakes and I needed the extensions for the rear sensor.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:37 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,069 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Nice install.
I used the ALP in my C7, removed it and just finished the install in my Z. 2 up front 1 in rear. I will post pics later.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:24 AM
KeepRightPassLeft
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think West Coast Corvette did a good installation nor offered you good advice. The problems I have with thier instsllation is as follows:

1. The Beltonics STiR+ radar receiver should not be placed behind a grill. Although radar signals will pass through plastic, the slats in the grill will change the radar waves resulting in significantly less range and possibly missing some radar signals.

2. One sensor on the resr of your vehicle will not offer you an acceptable level of protection, and for some LIDAR units that are heavily used in California namely the LTI Truspeed S, will offer you very little protection.

3. The front sensors should be mounted so they are pointing directly forward. Having the two side sensors pointing outward significantly decreases the ALP's effectiveness.

I would go back to WCC and have them correct those issues. I will inform the the U.S. distributor of the ALP of this thread, so he may contact WCC to educate them about now to properly install the ALP system.

A couple of years ago, I was out in Chino testing some cads thst had laser jammers installed. unfortunately, the person who organized the event took another job and moved.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:28 AM
DSOMonster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KeepRightPassLeft
I don't think West Coast Corvette did a good installation nor offered you good advice. The problems I have with thier instsllation is as follows:

1. The Beltonics STiR+ radar receiver should not be placed behind a grill. Although radar signals will pass through plastic, the slats in the grill will change the radar waves resulting in significantly less range and possibly missing some radar signals.

2. One sensor on the resr of your vehicle will not offer you an acceptable level of protection, and for some LIDAR units that are heavily used in California namely the LTI Truspeed S, will offer you very little protection.

3. The front sensors should be mounted so they are pointing directly forward. Having the two side sensors pointing outward significantly decreases the ALP's effectiveness.

I would go back to WCC and have them correct those issues. I will inform the the U.S. distributor of the ALP of this thread, so he may contact WCC to educate them about now to properly install the ALP system.

A couple of years ago, I was out in Chino testing some cads thst had laser jammers installed. unfortunately, the person who organized the event took another job and moved.
KeepRightPassLeft,
I went over the installation with ALP prior to and after WCC took the car in. The Beltronics add-on radar will pass through plastic. ALP themselves told me it was fine to install the detector behind any of the front plastic body pieces...completely covered. Plastic and rubber will allow the signals to pass through. Metal was a no-go!

I did not cover the placement of the sensors with ALP. The 2 side sensors are at an angle, but that can be fixed easily. I will readjust accordingly. The 3 front/2 rear setup was also discussed and ALP told me it was fine.

I am curious to hear what ALP comes back with after reading this thread.

Don't place all the blame on WCC. This was the first time they installed the ALP system. I went to them because of Chris's knowledge of the Corvette body parts and electronics. His work is top notch and WCC stands by their work. WCC went off of what I gave them since I was the one in contact with ALP. Yes, WCC recommended the 3 in front and 1 in the rear. I could've said no, but did not.

Thanks for your input. I greatly appreciate you taking the time out to school me on the system. That is why I love this forum. Too bad, not everyone can play nice!

Thanks Again!

-Ron
Old 04-24-2015, 01:36 AM
DSOMonster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by george vee
Nice install.
I used the ALP in my C7, removed it and just finished the install in my Z. 2 up front 1 in rear. I will post pics later.
Hey George, thanks for replying to my post. I mentioned your name in my original post. I look forward to your installation pics.

Now that you installed this system twice, what do you think about KeepRighPassLeft's take on my installation? If I did something wrong, i would like to let WCC know about it so we can fix it accordingly. The wiring done by WCC is A+ work. They removed fenders to run the wires away from the outside elements and in to the cab without disturbing OEM wires. I did not want some snotty nosed stereo installer creating bird's nests under my dash and having exposed wires and cables running across my engine bay.

Any small adjustments can be easily done, but I want to know what those adjustments are before making them. I must have called ALP over 5 or 6 times to get their take on the install.

I hope ALP just wasn't giving me lip service after the sale. This stuff is not cheap!

-Ron
Old 04-24-2015, 07:33 AM
KeepRightPassLeft
Instructor

KeepRightPassLeft,
I went over the installation with ALP prior to and after WCC took the car in. The Beltronics add-on radar will pass through plastic. ALP themselves told me it was fine to install the detector behind any of the front plastic body pieces...completely covered. Plastic and rubber will allow the signals to pass through. Metal was a no-go!

I did not cover the placement of the sensors with ALP. The 2 side sensors are at an angle, but that can be fixed easily. I will readjust accordingly. The 3 front/2 rear setup was also discussed and ALP told me it was fine.

I am curious to hear what ALP comes back with after reading this thread.

Don't place all the blame on WCC. This was the first time they installed the ALP system. I went to them because of Chris's knowledge of the Corvette body parts and electronics. His work is top notch and WCC stands by their work. WCC went off of what I gave them since I was the one in contact with ALP. Yes, WCC recommended the 3 in front and 1 in the rear. I could've said no, but did not.

Thanks for your input. I greatly appreciate you taking the time out to school me on the system. That is why I love this forum. Too bad, not everyone can play nice!

Thanks Again!

-Ron
Ron,

You can place the radar receiver behind a plastic body piece, but the piece it is behind must be flat and solid.

I have a little experiment you can do to simulate what is happening. takemyour index finger and thumb and hold then very close together, almost touching and hold them up to a light source. You will see little bands of dark and light as the light passes between your fingers. The dark is where the light is being bent and interfering with itself and canceling itself out. The light areas is where the light is not interfering with itself. This is what happens when you place the the radar receiver behind a grill. The grill bends the radar wave and can cause it cancel itself out.

Remember when you where a kid and you would shine a flash light through your hand or your fingers when closed together and you would srr the light transmit through your phone or fingers. This is similar with radar when it passes through a solid plastic (non metalic) object such as a flat bumper cover.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:48 AM
AL Priority USA
7th Gear

ALP recommended 2 sensors up front and 2 in the back. West Coast Corvette and Chris, their tech, recommended I place 3 up front and 1 in the rear for better front detection. I went with WCC's recommendation!
Congrats on purchasing the best performing laser jammer on the market but there is a reason we make these recommendations and by not following the recommendations you will actually leave yourself at risk against several of the more complicated guns.

It is a requirement that you use a minimum of 2 heads on each end of your vehicle to protect yourself against ALL guns on the market. Having 3 heads verse 2 on the front is fine but having only 1 on the rear will not fully protect your rear.

You can either have them move 1 head from the Front to the Rear as we recommended or add an additional head to the rear. For full protection your rear should look like this:

Photo from member name Nanook on the Radar & Laser Forum.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:10 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by AL Priority USA
Congrats on purchasing the best performing laser jammer on the market but there is a reason we make these recommendations and by not following the recommendations you will actually leave yourself at risk against several of the more complicated guns.

It is a requirement that you use a minimum of 2 heads on each end of your vehicle to protect yourself against ALL guns on the market. Having 3 heads verse 2 on the front is fine but having only 1 on the rear will not fully protect your rear.

You can either have them move 1 head from the Front to the Rear as we recommended or add an additional head to the rear. For full protection your rear should look like this:

Photo from member name Nanook on the Radar & Laser Forum.

So, the system that was installed does do laser jamming?
Of course that is illegal in California, correct.

So, before I invest a lot of time and money into this....can it be done and used Legally?
Old 04-24-2015, 09:27 AM
Patriot77
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't know if this is true or not but I checked into this system about 6 months ago when the first posts were made about it. I called the local dealership here in Omaha and the dealer said he could install it but I might want to think carefully about it first. I said "why"??? He said as soon as your laser jammer blocks the troopers laser the trooper will know right away that you are jamming him. He said here in Nebraska where they are illegal the trooper will not only stop you but also "confiscate" the system and then to add insult to injury will issue you a ticket. So after thinking about it carefully I have decided to not get the system.

Get notified of new replies

To AL Priority System installed

Old 04-24-2015, 09:48 AM
AL Priority USA
7th Gear

Originally Posted by BOBSZ06
So, the system that was installed does do laser jamming?
Of course that is illegal in California, correct.

So, before I invest a lot of time and money into this....can it be done and used Legally?
Use the system the way it was designed and there are no issues. By default the ALP system will jam only for 4 seconds before giving the the gun a speed. That is plenty of time to slow and once they get your reading they will move on to the next vehicle. Now if you continuously Jam them sure they will know something is up but that is not the proper way to use a laser defense system. Even with the 4 second default if you want to kill the jammer even quicker you can press any button on the controller to kill it instantly.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:32 AM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

So wait...

A LEO is in the weeds working with an instant on gun, checking vehicles in a 65 zone as they pass, 64, 66, 67, 62...all the time the gun is working fine, and then you come along, doing 90, he points are you and all of a sudden the gun can't read your speed, so he tries again and still nothing, all the while can see you visually exceeding the speed limit and your front end taking a dive and then just like magic, his gun works again and sees your doing 65.

Does that not still give him probable cause to pull you over and check to see if you're running a jamming system?
Old 04-24-2015, 10:41 AM
AL Priority USA
7th Gear

Apparently you have never shot a laser gun before. Its not uncommon for a gun to take a second or two to acquire a speed depending on the vehicle. Corvettes in particular with their sloped fronts are more difficult to acquire. No if it takes 3-4 seconds to acquire your speed they will not think twice about it. Now jam consistently then yes you deserve to get pulled over.

Quick Reply: AL Priority System installed