C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports
View Poll Results: Would you have bought a Z06 knowing what we now know about overheating?
Yes. I can live with it. Still love the car.
66.67%
No. I would rather have a more track capable car.
33.33%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Would you have spent your money differently if you knew about track overheating?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 12:03 PM
DaveN007
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Would you have spent your money differently if you knew about track overheating?

This is a question for people who track their Z06.

I think you would agree that the car is a modern engineering marvel and absolutely brilliant on the street.

I am guessing that most people who track their cars still use them primarily on the street, but now that you know that the Z06 has a significant issue with overheating on the track...

Would you have made a different decision?

On average, this was a $100,000 decision.

Would you have still bought a Z06?

I realize that this is not scientific, so please add comments so we know that you are not a 14 year-old troll or someone who never tracks their cars anyway. :-)

Last edited by DaveN007; 04-27-2015 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:33 PM
DLC7
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Have you personally had overheating issues on your Z06 dave?

In for the carnage....
Old 04-27-2015, 12:39 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 730 Likes on 479 Posts

I wish that there was a third response: would you have waited to purchase to see if GM rectified this issue for future and current owners.

Can it be added?
Old 04-27-2015, 12:53 PM
Daisuke149
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not have. my boss 302 did not overheat at the track. At Daytona, i never pushed it flat out on the banks and used that to cool off before getting back into the infield so I did not overheat there, but it was close at 292 with doing that.

Im not the greatest driver, i admit, but I wanted a car I wouldnt have to worry about on the track like this. Had I known, a 911 or GTR may have been my choice, Heck maybe even a viper.

That said im surprised that we dont have many aftermarket options yet. Ive seen one upgraded radiator, but why not a standalone oil cooler, as the issue seems to be mostly with the oil.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:55 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

I could care less about road courses or whatever they are called. Will buy a Z06 once they are discounted significantly or a late model used regardless of whether the so called "track" issues are dealt with. I really wonder what % of Corvette or Porsche owners actually track their cars and I don't mean a trip to the 1/4 miles digs once in a while. I'll bet it is so small that it really isn't worth talking about.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:55 PM
DaveN007
Racer

Originally Posted by DLC7
Have you personally had overheating issues on your Z06 dave?

In for the carnage....
300 degree temps on a 70 degree day driving very conservatively

I consider this overheating because I know what driving harder on a hotter day will do.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:56 PM
DaveN007
Racer

Originally Posted by thebishman
I wish that there was a third response: would you have waited to purchase to see if GM rectified this issue for future and current owners.

Can it be added?
I can't figure out how to edit poll.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:58 PM
Daisuke149
Instructor

Originally Posted by drmustang
I could care less about road courses or whatever they are called. Will buy a Z06 once they are discounted significantly or a late model used regardless of whether the so called "track" issues are dealt with. I really wonder what % of Corvette or Porsche owners actually track their cars and I don't mean a trip to the 1/4 miles digs once in a while. I'll bet it is so small that it really isn't worth talking about.
While it is a small percentage of overall buyers, i have seen quite alot of Z06's at the track constantly. Porsche's as well.

its enough to where this issue should matter to the manufacturer. Especially considering the issue is not prevalent with its competition.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:03 PM
LSs1Power
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

Im waiting to see what the after market will do in terms of Radiators and Oil Coolers.

My C6 Z06 overheated with my driving and required Dewitts Radiator and Breathless race oil coolers. After that I could run a full 30mins at 100% in 100 temps with no problems.

So far im holding off my purchase to 2016 to see what happens.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:04 PM
DaveN007
Racer

In other words, you don't care because it doesn't affect you.

GM seemed to think it was important to advertise the car as the "Most Track Capable Corvette Ever".

For people who track their cars, this is an issue.

Hopefully there will be a fix.

Last edited by DaveN007; 04-27-2015 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:13 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveN007
In other words, you don't care because it doesn't affect you.

GM seemed to think it was important to advertise the car as the "Most Track Capable Corvette Ever".

For people who track their cars, this is an issue.

Hopefully there will be a fix.
do you not think its their most "track capable " car ever?
Old 04-27-2015, 01:22 PM
PushNut
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I sold my M3, I was willing to drive my winter beater till the Z06 was available in Canada. But the overheating issues made me buy something else.
The poll needs an option of waiting until GM fixes the problem.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:25 PM
soulsea
Alcoholics Unanimous
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,642 Likes on 413 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Damn it, I just put my dead horse beating stick away.

I best retrieve it, this is going to be a looooong summer ...
Old 04-27-2015, 01:30 PM
URBAN LEGEND
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I really wonder what % Porsche owners actually track their cars
Its estimated at 80 percent. Those P guys don't mess around. I've seen that number put out by Porsche a few times.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:32 PM
Daisuke149
Instructor

Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND
Its estimated at 80 percent. Those P guys don't mess around. I've seen that number put out by Porsche a few times.
im sure that number isnt true for a base 911 but when you get into gt2 gt3 and rs models etc its quite high like that.

At the very least the z07 package should have come with an additional cooler as this is the more track option. Heck even the C7R option for 2016 doesnt do anything for cooling.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:53 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 730 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND
These are GT3 numbers only, but of course it's the most track capable 911.

Wait! What?

Bish
Old 04-27-2015, 02:14 PM
ChrisN123
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm disappointed, but I agree with Bishman: I will reserve judgment to see how GM responds.

A more robust cooling solution, even if they pass the (unmarked-up) cost along to us, would be OK if 100K warranty is left intact.

At a minimum, GM should tweak the software to have a mode where the car will proactively manage maximum throttle and/or timing and/or RPMs to avoid overheating. Much like a laptop will throttle back clock speed to avoid busting thermal limits.

This is in contrast to status quo where it seems to go ***** out until it hits the wall.

Even with this thermally-limited-in-summertime power, the Z06 would probably spank most everything you'd encounter on the track, so it's not clear that there is a better value out there even versus a hamstrung Z06-- especially if you acknowledge that even a tracked Z06 will spend most of its time on the street.

Get notified of new replies

To Would you have spent your money differently if you knew about track overheating?

Old 04-27-2015, 02:36 PM
Daisuke149
Instructor

Originally Posted by ChrisN123
I'm disappointed, but I agree with Bishman: I will reserve judgment to see how GM responds.

A more robust cooling solution, even if they pass the (unmarked-up) cost along to us, would be OK if 100K warranty is left intact.

At a minimum, GM should tweak the software to have a mode where the car will proactively manage maximum throttle and/or timing and/or RPMs to avoid overheating. Much like a laptop will throttle back clock speed to avoid busting thermal limits.

This is in contrast to status quo where it seems to go ***** out until it hits the wall.

Even with this thermally-limited-in-summertime power, the Z06 would probably spank most everything you'd encounter on the track, so it's not clear that there is a better value out there even versus a hamstrung Z06-- especially if you acknowledge that even a tracked Z06 will spend most of its time on the street.
but limp mode is the software response. The car has technically not overheated to a break down yet, the car software says its getting too hot pull back. Perhaps you are referring to a more incremental pull back vs full on limp mode?
Old 04-27-2015, 02:44 PM
ChrisN123
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Daisuke149
but limp mode is the software response. The car has technically not overheated to a break down yet, the car software says its getting too hot pull back. Perhaps you are referring to a more incremental pull back vs full on limp mode?
If the cooling system is known to be inadequate, then then the computers should be able to run in a mode that seeks to maximize performance subject to constraint of never going in to limp mode. Especially in a lapping scenario, the car easily knows all the variables to extrapolate temperature increases and should be able to proactively avoid limp mode through various interventions (timing/throttle/rev limit).

Again, this would be a fallback solution. Real solution is to add cooling hardware. But, in any case, the car should have a mode where I can flog it mercilessly and it will not overheat (even if that means preemptively pulling power when temps climbing fast). I suspect many would be happier with this mode versus having to manually manage temps and/or get 100% performance followed quickly by limp mode and pitting.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:22 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisN123

I tend to think they have. Take a look at the updates to the 2016. Cosmetics, a front curb view parking camera and a special VIN. I think we have the same answer they gave to C6 track rats - modify the car so it can be tracked and so we can deny the warranty.

As a business decision, I have no issue with not warrantying a car modified for the track. I wouldn't but I also wouldn't market it as the most track capable Corvette ever. It's not capable of much sitting in the paddock with 2 bags of ice sitting on the SC hoping it cools before your next session.

Full disclosure: I have not bought the new Z06. Always planned to wait to see how the SC worked on the track. Now I know I won't or at least 90%+ sure I won't. SC cars do not have a good record containing overheating on road courses so it does not come as a huge surprise the Z06 has had some problems. I am even more convinced with the insulting naming of the C7.R version, that GM will not fix the problem. Coincidentally, just this morning I priced a Z51 C7 replacement for my GS: $69.6k. Better to lose the warranty on $70k car than one close to $100k.

Quick Reply: Would you have spent your money differently if you knew about track overheating?