C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Man, this car STINKS!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 10:46 AM
Foxer55
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Man, this car STINKS!

I am one of those people particularly sensitive to petro-based constituents and VOCs. I get in this car and drive just a few miles and start getting a foul taste in my mouth and mild nausea. I think this may be what was making instructors puke at the track. I drove a few miles the other day and had lunch with someone and by the time I got out of the restaurant I was so spacey I didn't know which way was up. The residual affect of the chemicals in the car have something to do with eating. Hello, GM, can you do something to remove these constituents from the epoxies you use?

Last edited by Foxer55; 05-03-2015 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:05 AM
blown383c4conv
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had several new cars, foreign and domestic. They all smell like the same. Let it sit with the windows down and the top off for a bit. Sitting with the windows up in the sun will exacerbate the issue.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:20 AM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 442 Posts

You should contact G.M. . I know of at least one Stingray were G.M. flew in 2 reps direct from the factory and did an air quality test. G.M. bought the car back with less than 500 miles on the car. My friend who owned the Stingray was told that there was a run of car that one of the bonding agent did not cure properly and was giving off toxic fumes. My friend did not ask that they buy car back but just that G.M. would correct issue under warranty.They did test right at.dealership and told my friend within a few minutes that G.M.would buy back the car.Prior attempt by dealer included asking him toleave windows down and let it sit in sun. Dealer also removed the seats thinking that that would somehow correct the issue. Who knows maybe you have a car with a similar issue. Either way you should not have to leave your windows down and or take other steps to correct this issue. Be it a 15k Sonic or a 100k Z06 the car should not cause the owner to become I'll due to a build process.
My 14 z51 3lt coupe did have a bit of chemical smell that seemed to go away after a few weeks, or possible I just got used to it. It was never overpowering but you could definitely detect a chemical smell.
My 15 VY 3lz Z06 does not have any smell other than a new car leather smell which is very pleasant. I do not believe that the folks at Bowling Green would use two types of epoxy based of a Stingray vs a Z06. Same plant, same line, same epoxy. I would tell the dealer I want a air quality test done on the car. Best of luck I hope G.M. get your Z06 fixed or replaced.

Last edited by vetteman41960; 05-03-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:33 AM
msp843
6th Gear

Mine too!! Just bought a z06 four days ago. I leave the windows down at night while it is parked in the garage to try and dissipate the incredibly strong smell (like liquid nails). Love the car, can't stand the smell!!
Old 05-03-2015, 12:09 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

i love it LOL
Old 05-03-2015, 12:17 PM
DrackVB
Instructor

I had the same initial reaction getting into a car on the dealer floor. Both my wife and I commented that the new car smell was like sitting in a glue factory. no leather smell just glue
Old 05-03-2015, 12:21 PM
docb
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

The time lag between the build and the owner driving it is many weeks. Would something still be off gassing?
Old 05-03-2015, 12:26 PM
UBNZO6D
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxer55
I am one of those people particularly sensitive to petro-based constituents and VOCs. I get in this car and drive just a few miles and start getting a foul taste in my mouth and mild nausea. I think this may be what was making instructors puke at the track. I drove a few miles the other day and had lunch with someone and by the time I got out of the restaurant I was so spacey I didn't know which way was up. The residual affect of the chemicals in the car have something to do eating. Hello, GM, can you do something to remove these constituents from the epoxies you use?
I think it's clear that you need give me your car to me, but please keep making the payments...Send me your address and I will send the transport.

Greg
Old 05-03-2015, 12:32 PM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by UBNZO6D
I think it's clear that you need give me your car to me, but please keep making the payments...Send me your address and I will send the transport.

Greg
Same here, but I promise to give the car back as soon as the smell clears up.............I promise.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:55 PM
Foxer55
Drifting

Originally Posted by dvandentop
i love it LOL
Ohhh, a huffer. What is your preferred inhalant?

Last edited by Foxer55; 05-03-2015 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:56 PM
Cyclone09Z06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I had the same smell, it's goes away after a couple weeks, leave the windows down when possible. I have now had my car for 4 months and it smell like brand new leather.

It also drove me crazy, lol
Old 05-03-2015, 01:59 PM
Foxer55
Drifting

Originally Posted by vetteman41960
You should contact G.M. . I know of at least one Stingray were G.M. flew in 2 reps direct from the factory and did an air quality test. G.M. bought the car back with less than 500 miles on the car. My friend who owned the Stingray was told that there was a run of car that one of the bonding agent did not cure properly and was giving off toxic fumes. My friend did not ask that they buy car back but just that G.M. would correct issue under warranty.They did test right at.dealership and told my friend within a few minutes that G.M.would buy back the car.Prior attempt by dealer included asking him toleave windows down and let it sit in sun. Dealer also removed the seats thinking that that would somehow correct the issue. Who knows maybe you have a car with a similar issue. Either way you should not have to leave your windows down and or take other steps to correct this issue. Be it a 15k Sonic or a 100k Z06 the car should not cause the owner to become I'll due to a build process.
My 14 z51 3lt coupe did have a bit of chemical smell that seemed to go away after a few weeks, or possible I just got used to it. It was never overpowering but you could definitely detect a chemical smell.
My 15 VY 3lz Z06 does not have any smell other than a new car leather smell which is very pleasant. I do not believe that the folks at Bowling Green would use two types of epoxy based of a Stingray vs a Z06. Same plant, same line, same epoxy. I would tell the dealer I want a air quality test done on the car. Best of luck I hope G.M. get your Z06 fixed or replaced.
Interesting. As I say, I am particularly reactive to these damn things but you would think the chemists at GM or 3M or wherever could remove the components in these materials to make them less of a problem. Probably a cost issue.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:52 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

My a**hole brother bought one new back in September '57. That's when you got your new model year, in September. Brand-new, she was. She had the smell of a brand-new car. That's just about the finest smell in the world...except maybe for...

Oh wait, that was a Plymouth. Never mind.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:13 PM
Riverkid
Intermediate

Default I get sick too!

I am glad you mentioned this. When I drove my car home form the dealer which was about 45 miles on a hot day in California in mid-march, both my 9 year grandson and I felt sick when we got home which seemed to be from the “new car” smell. It really affected me as I have breathing problems anyway and I had to open the windows several times on the way home just to breath. We got a new Subaru last year and I never had such problems.

The toxic smell seems to come from the HVAC system. It’s not there when there is no air flow. I ran the heater full blast for about an hour with the windows open and it got a little a little better. I also leave the windows open when in the garage. But when the air is on, even with outside air selected, it’s unbearable and I still must open the windows several times to breath. I was wondering if it was the refrigerant leaking but it’s still cold.

I will contact GM as I thought it was my breathing problem getting worse. I have even gone to the Dr. because of it.

I am in love with my new baby and hope something can be done.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:08 PM
RossN
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone tried one of these???

Plug-In Ionic Air Purifier -
amazon amazon

Only problem is, you will have to turn the accessory power on for a minute or two before using the car to get the VOC's down.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:21 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Damn...for those of you who drive your C7 to work - please be careful, sounds like this may cause you to fail a random pee-test...and your boss will reevaluate your employment if you try blaming it on your corvette!
Old 05-03-2015, 09:26 PM
beden1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
Damn...for those of you who drive your C7 to work - please be careful, sounds like this may cause you to fail a random pee-test...and your boss will reevaluate your employment if you try blaming it on your corvette!
It's not a funny issue. Those smells are loaded with carcinogens and asthma triggers.

Get notified of new replies

To Man, this car STINKS!

Old 05-03-2015, 09:58 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by beden1
It's not a funny issue. Those smells are loaded with carcinogens and asthma triggers.
...a point I am sure the OP can make with GM...if the issue is serious, I am sure GM will hear him out. I remember when new cars used to smell like leather when you opened the door...now I guess they spew cancer causing fumes...
Old 05-03-2015, 10:05 PM
titletaker
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My wife is a chemist and says it is something called styrene or stylene, which is a coating used to keep the carpet threads bonded and coated. Our ZR1 had the same toxic smell, we kept the windows open and let it sit outside as much as possible. It actually stunk the whole garage up.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:35 PM
pitts12driver
Heel & Toe

Glad to hear other people smell it as well. My car has a powerful chemical off-gassing smell. I leave the windows open in the garage, and the entire garage smells like organic compounds.

Quick Reply: Man, this car STINKS!