C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Time for a C7 ZR1 section?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 09:08 AM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 876 Likes on 447 Posts

Some guys are still waiting on their Z06. lol! No need for that thread as yet.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:23 AM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Debatable!

I don't even get why people care, given the near perfect weight balance already. I'd want AWD far, far before I'd want rear engine or med engine.

(Technically, if the middle of the frontmost cylinder is behind the a-arm centerpoint, it's a mid-engine anyway!)

If it is ever coming, then we are closer to it happening than we were 50 years ago for the simple fact that it's 50 years closer. It's just a joke. I'm in the skeptic camp. I highly doubt it'll be out next year (I'll go so far as to guarantee it).

And as it's been pointed out. Corvettes have been mid-engined for a while now. I don't think people know what mid-engined actually means

Originally Posted by Wiki

The term "mid-engine" has usually been applied to cars having the engine located between the driver and the rear drive axles. This layout is referred to here as RMR layout. Sports and racing cars typically have this mid-engine layout, as these vehicles' handling characteristics are more important than other features, such as capacity. Additionally the mechanical layout and packaging of a RMR car is substantially different from that of a front engine or rear engine car.

A subset of Front-Rear when the engine is in front of the driver, but fully behind the front axle line, the layout is sometimes called Front Mid engine Rear FMR layout instead of the less-specific term front-engine. In handling and vehicle layout FMR is substantially the same as FR. Some vehicles could be classified as FR or FMR depending on the factory installed engine (I4 vs I6). Historically most classical FR cars such as the Ford Models T and A would qualify as a FMR engine car. Additionally, the difference between FR and FMR may be as little as a few millimeters of engine protrusion in front of the front axle line as manufacturers mount engine as far back in the chassis as possible. Not all manufacturers use the Front-Mid designation.

FMR layout – Front Mid-engine / Rear-wheel drive

These cars are RWD cars with engine placed between driver and front axle. However, due to the difference being fairly minor, these cars are referred to as FR cars instead.

Lotus Elan (first generation)
Chevrolet Corvette (second through seventh generations)
Bill Thomas Cheetah (used only one universal joint between transmission tailshaft housing and differential housing)
Dodge/SRT Viper
Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano and 612 Scaglietti
Honda S2000
Lexus LFA
Mazda RX-7, MX-5 and RX-8
Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren and SLS AMG
Opel GT
Toyota Previa and 2000GT
To be fair, I do understand what they mean though. A car with an engine behind the driver. And I'll give the same answer: No, if you think there will be one in 2016 you're going to be disappointed.

Last edited by Crabbers; 05-06-2015 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:01 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by redzone
Because a mid-engine will always have a much better moment of inertia, regardless of 50-50 weight distribution. I'd suggest driving a mid-engine car, then reporting back.
I agree. 50-50 weight distribution is NOT the same as having the mass in the middle. Actually, rear weight biased cars will launch better.

AWD adds weight. It can also be a challenge to package in a front engine configuration.

I don't think the mid-engine Corvette was called a Cadillac. It was very much still a Corvette.

Since I don't have unlimited funds, my deposit will have to wait until the numbers are published.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:47 PM
SteveTheCorvette
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think one of the biggest gains in making it mid engine would be the ability to shave some drivetrain weight (you wouldn't have to "ship" the power across the whole car.) If we were going to get really speculative, I'd say an all wheel drive hybrid (front wheels electric driven, rear wheels V8 driven) would be where the corvette should head.

As far whether this car should actually be called a "corvette", you could debate that all day. I'd be a fan of just calling it the "Zora" the "corvette" badge could just be implied.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:03 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

AWD Corvette is going to push 3800 lbs.

I dont see either one happening for awhile...
Old 05-06-2015, 05:09 PM
C6Z06C6
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

The new ZR1 will have a supercharged 427. Can't wait.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:24 PM
KraZ
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't care where they put the engine, as long as I can stall the converter, mash the pedal and not be concerned at the least about tire spin.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:47 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Debatable!

I don't even get why people care, given the near perfect weight balance already. I'd want AWD far, far before I'd want rear engine or med engine.

(Technically, if the middle of the frontmost cylinder is behind the a-arm centerpoint, it's a mid-engine anyway!)
Static weight distribution really isn't the equation for excellent handling...simply saying a car has 50/50 weight distribution doesn't mean much. There are factors of where the location of the center of gravity is, versus the center of pressure. Mid engine cars, locating and compacting all their weight very close to the driver have many advantages...consider polar moment of inertia, not to mention the tremendous cooling advantages they have. With a front engine car, all the air you need to cool the car gets trapped and has to exit around a passenger cabin...this creates huge aerodynamic challenges (as well as cooling). With a mid engine car, air can enter from all around the body, cool various systems and exit the rear AND be an aerodynamic advantage all at the same time. F1 cars, for example, have approx a 60% rear weight bias as well.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:32 AM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

[QUOTE=SteveTheCorvette;1589574335]I think one of the biggest gains in making it mid engine would be the ability to shave some drivetrain weight (you wouldn't have to "ship" the power across the whole car.) If we were going to get really speculative, I'd say an all wheel drive hybrid (front wheels electric driven, rear wheels V8 driven) would be where the corvette should head. [qoute]

That's exactly what I was thinking. And electric engine to drive the front for excellent watching and a 700 Hp engine. I would guess to combat weight most the car would probably be made of carbon fiber. I bet they could build and the weight would be around 3600
Old 05-08-2015, 10:37 AM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Default finally!

Debatable!

someone else who would like an awd option--sadly we are the 1%.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:17 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

[QUOTE=tbrenny33;1589588140]
Originally Posted by SteveTheCorvette
I think one of the biggest gains in making it mid engine would be the ability to shave some drivetrain weight (you wouldn't have to "ship" the power across the whole car.) If we were going to get really speculative, I'd say an all wheel drive hybrid (front wheels electric driven, rear wheels V8 driven) would be where the corvette should head. [qoute]

That's exactly what I was thinking. And electric engine to drive the front for excellent watching and a 700 Hp engine. I would guess to combat weight most the car would probably be made of carbon fiber. I bet they could build and the weight would be around 3600
Don't forget about the batteries to drive those electric motors...
Old 05-08-2015, 11:19 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TBIRD57
someone else who would like an awd option--sadly we are the 1%.
Look at Porsche. The AWD turbo is slower on the track than a well prepped GT3.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:25 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by range96
Look at Porsche. The AWD turbo is slower on the track than a well prepped GT3.
On equal tires it is not.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:23 PM
vegasredz062
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 53 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

mid engine vette with AWD? hmmm somehow i think maybe Mid engine.. doubt they new AWD with engine on rear tires.. just look at the mclaren..
Old 05-08-2015, 09:42 PM
BigNastyZO7
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Z06C6
The new ZR1 will have a supercharged 427. Can't wait.
You 100% have NO CLUE what your talking about! You have no proof, no brains, and no common sense about cars. Please throw out your keyboard
Old 05-08-2015, 10:11 PM
Deathfly7
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BigNastyZO7
You 100% have NO CLUE what your talking about! You have no proof, no brains, and no common sense about cars. Please throw out your keyboard
Says the guy that lies about 1/4 mile times and says his stock z06 hangs with a zx10r............................
Old 05-08-2015, 10:27 PM
BigNastyZO7
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Deathfly7
Says the guy that lies about 1/4 mile times and says his stock z06 hangs with a zx10r............................
You not believing the car didn't go that fast is a compliment... So Thank you, but its true. Where are your videos? Do you even have a corvette or just a cheerleader?
Old 05-08-2015, 10:45 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

We're done here.

Seriously, if you guys cannot learn how to have a conversation without pissing on each other and calling each other names, we'll just ban the entire lot of you and have done with it.

Guys, grow up and act your age.

THREAD CLOSED.

Quick Reply: Time for a C7 ZR1 section?