C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Best way to launch an A8 Z06 at the drag strip

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 03:55 PM
1QUICK Z
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Best way to launch an A8 Z06 at the drag strip

Hey guys,

My Torch Red A8 Z06 (stage 1 aero) is being built the first week of June, and I'd like to get some pointers on the best way to launch the stock MPSS tires at the drag strip. I've now seen several people turn in some pretty decent 60' times on stock rubber and I'd like to know the tricks. I keep hearing that launch control doesn't seem to help much at the track, but I'm open to any suggestions. Especially from the few that have actually put up decent times with these stock Michelin tires.

Thanks!
Old 05-05-2015, 04:02 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

Believe those times are with cup2 or drag radials
Old 05-05-2015, 04:46 PM
1QUICK Z
Drifting

Originally Posted by jaden61
Believe those times are with cup2 or drag radials
Yeah, I know the 10.38 time was on Cup 2's, but I'm trying to find out the best way for me to launch the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I would like to run this car bone stock before i do anything to it.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:51 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

FYI... 10.38 was DR, 10.42 was cup2.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:53 PM
1QUICK Z
Drifting

Originally Posted by jaden61
FYI... 10.38 was DR, 10.42 was cup2.
My bad. Either way. Just looking for info on my tires (set up), not what the others have done. Thanks!
Old 05-05-2015, 06:42 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Put it in track mode and put the car in drive and bring up the rpms to about 1,300 and mash the pedal. If the tires don't get good traction lower your rpm from stopped position and see what rpm your car and tires like the best for the track you are at on any given day.

Play around with air pressure in the rear and testing from launching it from a dead idle, 1000 rpm, etc., etc, and see what technique yields you your best times.

That being said the entre time put and keep it in track mode and the shifter in drive!

Good luck KILLER CAR (I want one)!!

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 05-05-2015 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:47 PM
1QUICK Z
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy
Put it in track mode and put the car in drive and bring up the rpms to about 1,300 and mash the pedal. If the tires don't get good traction lower your rpm from stopped position and see what rpm your car and tires like the best for the track you are at on any given day.

Play around with air pressure in the rear and testing from launching it from a dead idle, 1000 rpm, etc., etc, and see what technique yields you your best times.

That being said the entre time put and keep it in track mode and the shifter in drive!

Good luck KILLER CAR!!
Perfect, this is what I was looking for. What are most guys doing with tire pressure? Mid 20's? What is too low? Track mode makes sense but what about traction control and Stabilitrac? I've heard some of these cars are throwing codes while doing the burnout? How can that be. Thanks man!
Old 05-06-2015, 08:28 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Wonder what it'd 60' on drag radials if you revved it to 4k in neutral and then slammed it into drive, is that how launch control works on the auto?

Last edited by PRE-Z06; 05-06-2015 at 05:18 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:45 AM
Hot Rod Todd
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Watch out going too low on the tire pressure. If you get below 25 psi and the system picks up a low pressure alert, it can be hard to get it to clear. I had mine do that and even after running the pressure up to 27 it did not want to clear. Once I went to 30 psi the warning went away. In the mean time it can drop into some sort of limp mode if the alarm stays too long.

Also most believe that there isn't much to be gained by running the pressure too low. The sidewalls are stiff and it's important to get the flattest contact patch.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:06 AM
Slow Poke
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QUICK Z
Hey guys,

My Torch Red A8 Z06 (stage 1 aero) is being built the first week of June, and I'd like to get some pointers on the best way to launch the stock MPSS tires at the drag strip. I've now seen several people turn in some pretty decent 60' times on stock rubber and I'd like to know the tricks. I keep hearing that launch control doesn't seem to help much at the track, but I'm open to any suggestions. Especially from the few that have actually put up decent times with these stock Michelin tires.

Thanks!
Went to Palm Beach International Raceway May 1. Temp 82F and DA was ~ 1800 Ft. Car is completely stock, 510 miles with first oil change. Rear tires are 18x10.5 C5s with Et Street Radials 305/35/18 at 23 psi to avoid limp home mode. Traction control off in Sport Mode with Sport steering, track exhaust mode. 8 gallons of Shell 93 premium. ECT 192F, IAT2 at line 127F

First pass left lane with mild burnout 5-6 sec, shallow stage. Power brake to 1800 RPM until 0 boost psi. Car left easy but throttle was delayed until 30 mph as seen in graph. Looks like TQ management even with TC off. Have to live with it since I will not tune ECM or void warranty. 1.71/60 ft 10.90/130.

Second pass left lane, longer burnout, shallow stage. Power brake to 2 psi boost. Car left easy 1.67/60 ft 10.85/130.

Next time will use Halltech air box, 4 gallons of fuel and power brake until boost pushes front tires to second stage light.

Hope this helps you get started.

Old 05-06-2015, 01:00 PM
1QUICK Z
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Todd
Watch out going too low on the tire pressure. If you get below 25 psi and the system picks up a low pressure alert, it can be hard to get it to clear. I had mine do that and even after running the pressure up to 27 it did not want to clear. Once I went to 30 psi the warning went away. In the mean time it can drop into some sort of limp mode if the alarm stays too long.

Also most believe that there isn't much to be gained by running the pressure too low. The sidewalls are stiff and it's important to get the flattest contact patch.
Great info. That makes perfect sense. Thanks!
Old 05-06-2015, 01:04 PM
1QUICK Z
Drifting

Originally Posted by Slow Poke
Went to Palm Beach International Raceway May 1. Temp 82F and DA was ~ 1800 Ft. Car is completely stock, 510 miles with first oil change. Rear tires are 18x10.5 C5s with Et Street Radials 305/35/18 at 23 psi to avoid limp home mode. Traction control off in Sport Mode with Sport steering, track exhaust mode. 8 gallons of Shell 93 premium. ECT 192F, IAT2 at line 127F

First pass left lane with mild burnout 5-6 sec, shallow stage. Power brake to 1800 RPM until 0 boost psi. Car left easy but throttle was delayed until 30 mph as seen in graph. Looks like TQ management even with TC off. Have to live with it since I will not tune ECM or void warranty. 1.71/60 ft 10.90/130.

Second pass left lane, longer burnout, shallow stage. Power brake to 2 psi boost. Car left easy 1.67/60 ft 10.85/130.

Next time will use Halltech air box, 4 gallons of fuel and power brake until boost pushes front tires to second stage light.

Good stuff. Great job getting into the 10's with your ride. I'm actually looking for advice on how to launch my "stock tires" though.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:18 PM
jason427
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is dependent more on track prep then driver with these Autos. So one persons perfect technique used in getting the good times you hear about from up north tracks won't do anything to help you at another track where prep is not as good.
Just get out there and start playing with it. Unless you are going to (hero-time) track with amazing prep I would get some drag radials on order if it is something you are set on doing (mid-upper 10's)
Jason
Old 05-06-2015, 05:20 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Thanks for sharing your detailed results, looking forward to you going faster next time out!
Originally Posted by jason427
It is dependent more on track prep then driver with these Autos. So one persons perfect technique used in getting the good times you hear about from up north tracks won't do anything to help you at another track where prep is not as good.
Just get out there and start playing with it. Unless you are going to (hero-time) track with amazing prep I would get some drag radials on order if it is something you are set on doing (mid-upper 10's)
Jason
can't compare test and tune to rental prep
Old 05-06-2015, 05:46 PM
TripleBlack99
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy

Good luck KILLER CAR (I want one)!!
i have what feels like a really stupid question, but if i follow the above instructions wont the car creep forward before you "mash the padal"? or do i have my foot on the brake to prevent that? or is this some kind of launch mode? i have only raced manuals and have never drag raced so i think the answer to this is simple, but i just dont have the experience to figure it out for myself. thanks
The following users liked this post:
Nite RNR (10-25-2023)
Old 05-06-2015, 05:56 PM
1QUICK Z
Drifting

You will have your left foot on the brake.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:15 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by 1QUICK Z
You will have your left foot on the brake.

Get notified of new replies

To Best way to launch an A8 Z06 at the drag strip

Old 08-06-2015, 03:24 PM
jmc9981
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not sure if anyone here remembers but a while back i saw a c7 that had the tires break loose and crashed in to a tree when it shifted gears. Now with that in mind my question is.. If i have the auto and i go in to track mode aren't the nannies for traction control going to be off? Also i remember reading some where that when you use the launch control and the second you lift your foot off the gas to shift that it becomes disabled. So what happens on the auto when you launch and dont have to take your foot of the gas to shift? I know i might sound a bit paranoid but i was driving my z06 on the highway at about 75mph hit the gas pedal too hard and actually had traction control kick in to save my ***. Just want to make sure that it wont go sideways when going at higher speeds during shifts.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:22 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Slow Poke, thanks for this post - my buddy theSubfloor out in CA just got a new c7Z A8 and took it to the track, temp tags and all, on Wednesday. He tunes like we do and was having terrible bog issues, with timing going to -8 degrees at launch. I'm thinking it was torque management kicking in. We were in touch via text with him at the track. I came across your post and the tips above helped. Later he tried launch control and that made a huge difference.

Do you have any launch control passes/scans? It's also interesting that you didn't have the huge timing decrease like he did. Have you tried your haltech yet?

I see we're local, I'd love to drive up and say hi and watch some passes if you're interested.

BTW I got a call today from Redline, Howard wants to start some new performance social events in Sfla, perhaps you'd be interested in joining.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1590222676

Let us know if you don't mind, and hope to meet you soon in person.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:31 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Slow Poke, thanks for this post - my buddy theSubfloor out in CA just got a new c7Z A8 and took it to the track, temp tags and all, on Wednesday. He tunes like we do and was having terrible bog issues, with timing going to -8 degrees at launch. I'm thinking it was torque management kicking in. We were in touch via text with him at the track. I came across your post and the tips above helped. Later he tried launch control and that made a huge difference.

Do you have any launch control passes/scans? It's also interesting that you didn't have the huge timing decrease like he did. Have you tried your haltech yet?

I see we're local, I'd love to drive up and say hi and watch some passes if you're interested.

BTW I got a call today from Redline, Howard wants to start some new performance social events in Sfla, perhaps you'd be interested in joining.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1590222676

Let us know if you don't mind, and hope to meet you soon in person.
What Joe said ^^^

Not sure if you saw the PM I sent, but I would REALLY appreciate it if you could email me some scans from the track so I can compare them to the one I was able to get.

Thx,
Christopher

Quick Reply: Best way to launch an A8 Z06 at the drag strip