C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

HEAT SOAK at the track

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 01:15 AM
mark1107
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Default HEAT SOAK at the track

i ordered the Dewitt's radiator. I'm willing to take a chance on it.

Outside temps were high 90s at Fontana.

First set of rounds on the track I went 4 passes before it went into limp mode.

Second set of rounds on the track all four passes went into limp mode in the turns and as I hit the straight away it got out of limp mode. As soon as I hit the turns it overheated again. I also got a power steering error. I want to take the front skid plate off right past the bumper.

Old 05-06-2015, 01:18 AM
dbs1vette
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

It would be nice to see an A-B comparison once you get the Dewitt's installed.

Again...why GM does not offer an upgraded cooling setup for hard core track guys is...silly.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:20 AM
mark1107
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by dbs1vette

Again...why GM does not offer an upgraded cooling setup for hard core track guys is...silly.
I will go back to Fontana after the install.

It's frustrating.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:38 AM
Rumba
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

What percentage water to antifreeze are you going to use. Are you going to use WaterWetter as well?
Thanks
Paul
Old 05-06-2015, 07:24 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by dbs1vette

My understanding is that they don't think enough people would order it to make it worth the effort. Design, certification and inventory cost money.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:39 AM
C7cmnthru
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

The right answer is for GM to upgrade the cooling capacity to mirror the results of the Dewitts radiator (if it's better) as the standard radiator. Can't add more than $500 to $700 to the price and even those that aren't track rats would be OK with that.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:03 PM
DaveN007
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
My understanding is that they don't think enough people would order it to make it worth the effort. Design, certification and inventory cost money.
What did they mean when they told us that it was the most track capable Corvette ever?

Not enough people would uncover the lie to matter?

It is embarrassing.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:32 PM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveN007
What did they mean when they told us that it was the most track capable Corvette ever? Not enough people would uncover the lie to matter? It is embarrassing.
Agree.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:47 PM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveN007
What did they mean when they told us that it was the most track capable Corvette ever?

Not enough people would uncover the lie to matter?

It is embarrassing.

Tadge said if it is run in weather temps in the high 80's.
Unfortunately, the OP ran in the 90's.

Do the math!
Old 05-06-2015, 01:19 PM
<<427_V8>>
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Maybe a thread needs to be started that tracks (pun intended) member's car temps at normal every day driving, and their track temps. Has it been determined whether the temps are only above expected when driving on the track? Maybe the cars that do hit limp mode, just run hotter on average due to a possible issue on some of the cars? Just throwing thoughts out here -
Old 05-06-2015, 01:24 PM
Daisuke149
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BOBSZ06

Do the math!
Daytona was 70's and it over heated.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:29 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

This is weird. Some have major issues, others none (see sushisean's post). Wondering if it could be certain cars got incorrect or earlier firmware in the ECU.

Agree that the "track capable" Z06 should not have this issue, period.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:31 PM
rob725
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBSZ06

Do the math!
He said that after the fact in an obvious attempt to cover what he assuredly knew was an issue. He also said that the m7 was the track configuration, but when I ordered my A8 with the z07 package, which has little utility outside of a track, no one said that you really need a manual if you wish to track. They really should just step up and help us out with some viable solutions. Not saying they will, but they should because of the way this car was positioned from the start.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:32 PM
Xanthophyll
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 28 Posts

It's almost to the point now that the word is out regarding the issue. Chevrolet would be foolish not to change it next year.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:35 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Something doesn't make sense. Your description of the problem leaves me wondering. Coolant and Oil Temps just don't reduce because your car hit a straight. Your speed even in corners was more than likely in the 50 to 60 mph (maybe higher) range so there should have been plenty of cooling air coming through the radiator. Also, it takes some time on the straight for temps to come down any meaningful amount. So why did Limp Home go away as soon as you hit the straight and only appear when you were in corners?

How do you know it was in Limp Home mode in the corners due to over heating issues Vs the stability system activating?

Bill
Old 05-06-2015, 02:29 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

On the street I haven't overheated the car yet but it does run hot if I drive aggressively. I do little of that since I use my energy at the circuit. That said, I have to put a front license plate on the car in the next week and as luck will have it I will drive through the Nevada desert this summer. I think it is possible to overheat the car on a public road, after all it's just a road. The car will have to run A/C and a front plate so things will get interesting. Edmunds did overheat a Z51 on the road and that car has a much better chance at cooling down than our cars.

Circuit lapping is far far more demanding on the car than any other type of racing/driving one can do in a Corvette. I think the evidence speaks clearly. The best non-pro drivers can overheat this car in 70*s weather. I have done so in 80*s but as I gain confidence and reduce lap times I have no doubt I can overheat it in a cooler climate.

We have a compound problem:
1. powersteering cooling is inadequate
2. water cooling is inadequate
3. some underperforming parts: speed sensor, fuel pressure sensor and possibly high pressure pump, 1st and 2nd gear syncro/rings/gears

We should keep an eye out for new part numbers surfacing for these systems.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:31 PM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

Those pics above the show the Z51 cars brake rotors?

Last edited by lawdogg149; 05-06-2015 at 02:38 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To HEAT SOAK at the track

Old 05-06-2015, 02:49 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Mark was it just in the banked Turns 1-2 that it went into limp mode?
Old 05-06-2015, 02:50 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

The Dewitts radiators def help but you also need to run a lower temp t-stat and reprogramming the fans needs done as well. I was playing around with mine last week - oddly because my fans didn't kick on at all and the car over heated at a light before pulling into the NCM Bash comically. Still have no clue why the fans didn't trigger but it did it on the way home as well but I was data-logging and ready for it. When I shut the car off and turned it back on the fans came on both times. I ran it last weekend trying to replicate the problem and it didn't happen so I have no clue yet what's happening there. Anyone seen that one yet?

I digress, but anyway in playing with the OEM fan settings, they're set to come on pretty high. I believe they're kicking in around 195* and that is where the car starts protecting itself electronically in the tune as well. So, I'm not really sure why a car with heat issues is not trying to run the fans before it gets into it's caution zone.

I have a Dewitts rad, LMR 160 stat kit, and the fans programmed to come on much lower and the temps at the track do very well. Now as far as the trans... that's another story. I've been working on a dual fan unit that will replace the A8s front cooler to be able to keep the trans happier.

Also, our supercharger heat exchanger - stage 1 was recently completed and has been hitting some Z06 builds lately too.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:05 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben@WeaponX
The Dewitts radiators def help but you also need to run a lower temp t-stat and reprogramming the fans needs done as well. I was playing around with mine last week - oddly because my fans didn't kick on at all and the car over heated at a light before pulling into the NCM Bash comically. Still have no clue why the fans didn't trigger but it did it on the way home as well but I was data-logging and ready for it. When I shut the car off and turned it back on the fans came on both times. I ran it last weekend trying to replicate the problem and it didn't happen so I have no clue yet what's happening there. Anyone seen that one yet?

I digress, but anyway in playing with the OEM fan settings, they're set to come on pretty high. I believe they're kicking in around 195* and that is where the car starts protecting itself electronically in the tune as well. So, I'm not really sure why a car with heat issues is not trying to run the fans before it gets into it's caution zone.

I have a Dewitts rad, LMR 160 stat kit, and the fans programmed to come on much lower and the temps at the track do very well. Now as far as the trans... that's another story. I've been working on a dual fan unit that will replace the A8s front cooler to be able to keep the trans happier.

Also, our supercharger heat exchanger - stage 1 was recently completed and has been hitting some Z06 builds lately too.
I don't think a lower temp t-stat will make any difference at all road racing will it? When the car is running 240+ all the t-stat will do is maybe prolong it reaching 240+ for maybe a minute longer or so but thats it.

Quick Reply: HEAT SOAK at the track