C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Blue tape as temporary clear bra

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 11:32 AM
c7jim
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Blue tape as temporary clear bra

I can't get my c7z to sun tech clear bra installer until 6/2/15. So for temporary paint protection, I applied some blue painters tape that will be in place for about two weeks. I know the tape doesn't leave any residue under normal circumstances, but are there any other complications that could arise?
Old 05-19-2015, 12:49 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

If you are near a GM proving ground, some people may mistake it for a C9 that is under wraps.

Or, maybe people looking at you like you are some sort of idiot?

I had the same thought about taping the rear brake ducts on my car when it comes, on the drive home, i saw a lot of pitting there on a fairly new Z06 I saw last week.

I decided I may just use some scotch tape on the duct leading edge, as it peels off fairly easy the same day,and the glue comes right off with a little WD40,and it won't be so obvious.

Doug

Last edited by AZDoug; 05-19-2015 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:58 PM
funz06
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by c7jim
I can't get my c7z to sun tech clear bra installer until 6/2/15. So for temporary paint protection, I applied some blue painters tape that will be in place for about two weeks. I know the tape doesn't leave any residue under normal circumstances, but are there any other complications that could arise?
I did the same exact thing a month ago-----put the blue painters' tape all over the sides of my car at the dealership. Drove it home where it sat for 4 days until my appointment at the Xpel shop where I also had the Apsis splash guards installed. No issues at all with the painters' tape coming off.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:42 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

You could also try the green Scotch 233+ which is a little more rugged than the household blue painter's tape. With both tapes you do need to watch how dirt builds up on the edges. The adhesive is exposed slightly at the edge of the tape and it will attract dirt/dust and after a number of days in the hot sun and maybe rain will leave a thin line of dirt stuck to the car.

The longer you leave it on and the more exposed to the heat of the sun the harder it is to get the tape off.

You can see the green tape on the front of my Z in the avatar picture to the left. After a couple of years I stopped using so much and covered most of the damage susceptible areas with collision wrap which comes off easier and provides more protection.

Bill
Old 05-19-2015, 04:34 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

The paint is a good idea but not sure I would leave it on for 2 weeks. Me, I would use the tape but after about a week take it off and reapply it.
Might be over the top but I don't like leaving tape on that long.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:57 PM
C7_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by c7jim
A few weeks without it basking under the sun should be no issues... and while it's on, take it to the track!
As you can see I wasn't as OCD as the white C7...

Old 05-19-2015, 06:37 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,681 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Would any of those spray-on protective films work for a temporary fix? I'm thinking about a Museum delivery option as well and wondering what would be a good fix for the 700 mile ride home before I can get the Xpel installed?
Old 05-19-2015, 06:44 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

You don't have anything to worry about. If you can, park in the shade if you live in an area with extreme heat.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:01 PM
0roadwarriorplus
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Road Warrior Plus is an excellent alternative to the blue painters tape option. Road Warrior Plus is a state of the art temporary roll on paint protection for any surfaces on your car that might be subjected to debris, dirt, tar, stones, etc. encountered whether you are on the interstate on a trip, or are headed to the track.

It rolls on like paint, dries quickly, protects with a rubbery film, and can be easily removed when you are ready to show off your perfect paint with no residual impact to your paint. Watch the video below to see just how it looks when it's on your car and how our car looks once it's taken off. I've used it for years and never had an issue.

A quart container will cover the front of a car about 5 times and costs only $39.99.

I've used it for trips as well as routinely at the track and it works great for both.

To get more information, go to www.roadwarriorplus.com

You can view a quick video of the product here:

Old 05-19-2015, 09:21 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by roadwarriorplus
Road Warrior Plus is an excellent alternative to the blue painters tape option. Road Warrior Plus is a state of the art temporary roll on paint protection for any surfaces on your car that might be subjected to debris, dirt, tar, stones, etc. encountered whether you are on the interstate on a trip, or are headed to the track. It rolls on like paint, dries quickly, protects with a rubbery film, and can be easily removed when you are ready to show off your perfect paint with no residual impact to your paint. Watch the video below to see just how it looks when it's on your car and how our car looks once it's taken off. I've used it for years and never had an issue. A quart container will cover the front of a car about 5 times and costs only $39.99. I've used it for trips as well as routinely at the track and it works great for both. To get more information, go to www.roadwarriorplus.com You can view a quick video of the product here: Video Link: http://youtu.be/x2nJqhQ_BKI
That looks like a good alternative. However, it would also require a leap of faith on a brand new Z06.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:50 PM
0roadwarriorplus
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MSG C5
That looks like a good alternative. However, it would also require a leap of faith on a brand new Z06.
Road Warrior has been thoroughly tested and used for years. My business partner uses it on several of his Corvettes and I use it on a couple of Nissan GT-R's, Noble M400 and other cars. It is totally safe for any car, old or new.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:58 PM
soulsea
Alcoholics Unanimous
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,642 Likes on 413 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Xpel Tracwrap Temporary Paint Protection Film.

---------------------

Oh I forgot, I also have a big roll of 3M painter's tape that I also don't need since I installed permanent paint protection. It's one of these guys:
3M ScotchBlue 2090 Painter's Tape, Super Wide 6-Inch by 60 Yard, 1-Roll - Painters Masking Tape - Amazon.com 3M ScotchBlue 2090 Painter's Tape, Super Wide 6-Inch by 60 Yard, 1-Roll - Painters Masking Tape - Amazon.com
PM me if you want it for half price. It's expensive but it cuts the workload in half.

Last edited by soulsea; 05-20-2015 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:08 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
You could also try the green Scotch 233+ which is a little more rugged than the household blue painter's tape. With both tapes you do need to watch how dirt builds up on the edges. The adhesive is exposed slightly at the edge of the tape and it will attract dirt/dust and after a number of days in the hot sun and maybe rain will leave a thin line of dirt stuck to the car.

The longer you leave it on and the more exposed to the heat of the sun the harder it is to get the tape off.

You can see the green tape on the front of my Z in the avatar picture to the left. After a couple of years I stopped using so much and covered most of the damage susceptible areas with collision wrap which comes off easier and provides more protection.

Bill
The way I have found to get around the dirt around the edges problem is to apply the tape vertically. The airflow doesn't get under the lip of the tape this way so it stays on the car much better. It looks better/neater too. The downside is the vertical application takes much longer.

To the OP: the more the car sits in the sun, the more glue residue will be left on the paint. Sometimes it takes more than just a good wash to get it off. A quick clay usually does the trick. When it doesn't, a fine polish does.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:16 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Would any of those spray-on protective films work for a temporary fix? I'm thinking about a Museum delivery option as well and wondering what would be a good fix for the 700 mile ride home before I can get the Xpel installed?
My experience with these has never been particularly good. I've found you need to put on many coats to get them to be thick enough to take off easily. When you inevitably do not apply enough they are a royal PITA to remove. Between waiting for each layer to dry to apply another coat and the removal of the thin areas, the time it took would not have justified their use even if the stuff was bulletproof. They do look 1000% better though.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:37 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

We tried Road Warrior on my sons Corolla when we drove down from Alaska. Applied it according to the instructions and allowed it to sit in a heated garage for 2 days.
Less than happy with the results. After a few days it started to peel off in some areas and in some very small places it is still sticking 2 years later and the only way we can get it off is with a razor blade.
Maybe it didn't like the cold?? Either way, I tossed what remained and now would only use the blue tape.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:03 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

You will be Ok as long as you dont get the tape wet. I tracked mine with painters tape and all was ok until a wet track day.

I now use road warrior. You just got to experiment to get it on right and if it is cold set with a blow dryer. Plus you dont want to get it in any cracks or grooves.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:35 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Has Novistretch come out with a fabric bra for the C7 Z06 yet? I know they have one for the Stingray, however I don't believe it fits the Z06.

I have one for my C5 and although I don't like bras, I like the added protection it provides during FL love bug season and on highway runs. It won't stop a rock, but it will help minimize the impact and definitely keeps the front end clean of bugs, sand, dirt, etc.
The following users liked this post:
bobby1999c5 (07-17-2016)
Old 05-22-2015, 09:14 AM
jstout
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Chattanooga Area Events Coordinator

Road Warrior doesn't work especially well in the cold. It needs a heated surface to bond well, or a heat gun after application. When done like that, it works amazingly well. It doesn't take much with a heat gun to do it either. A few minutes tops. Jerry

Get notified of new replies

To Blue tape as temporary clear bra

Quick Reply: Blue tape as temporary clear bra