C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Short test drive: Z51 M7 v. Z51 mag ride A8 v. Z06 A8

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 10:52 AM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Short test drive: Z51 M7 v. Z51 mag ride A8 v. Z06 A8

As I was saying in the C7 General thread https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-gt-seats.html yesterday, my closest Chevy dealer let me (without even asking for my license, not sure if I had it that day anyway) try out a Z51 with no mag ride and then one with mag ride back-to-back. From that not very scientific experience, I can live without mag ride in order to save $1,800 and do away with one more thing that can break.

But just before I left for a client lunch, the floor manager said "can you come back at 4 and drive the Z?" Yeah, I think I can squeeze you in. This was a 1LZ SG A8 coupe with visible CF roof, sueded seat inserts, performance data recorder, and a black stinger stripe, sticker $87,618. To remove any suspense about discounts, they wouldn't come off that a penny. I wouldn't expect them to, since they sell every Z06 they get within a week, or a day, for full price.

The Z was right ready when I showed up maybe even a little before 4:00. At noon, it had been in the back lot with the rear fascia off, waiting for a new left rear spoiler. The one it came with, said the floor manager, had a messed-up screw hole and that wasn't acceptable on a supercar. Now, it was prepped to perfection and ready to impress. Well, my standards of perfection aren't the same as some others', so don't completely take my word for it.

When I was at lunch with my client a few miles away, a major thunderstorm blew through with pouring rain and vicious winds, so I was hoping it would clear up for the sake of those wide tires. By 4:00 the weather improved enough that I could boldly ask to take off the roof. But of course; it unlatched and stowed under the hatch just like my C6 base coupe's roof, only noticeably lighter. Much appreciated when I sometimes go through three or four roof on/roof off cycles on a summer day.

Also a step up from my C6 1LT interior (low rent, Playskool, etc., but at least you can wash it out with a garden hose) was the 1LZ interior. Even without vented seats, which I could really feel on the Z51 earlier that day, the sueded inserts mitigated the hot weather quite a bit, especially compared to my C6 lawn chairs (which are perfectly comfortable for most driving, to be fair, but as you probably know, lend no support to speak of when whipping around on-ramps).

The floor manager had to drive off the lot, allowing me to savor the riding experience without the distraction of keeping it under control. When a C7 Z06 lights off with the roof gone and windows down, you immediately know that some Balrog-like power has just come to beautifully noisy life. As we taxied through the lot toward Raeford Road, he pointed out the flat-bottomed steering wheel, "just like a race car." I said those are unsafe, because when you're texting with one hand and eating a bacon double cheeseburger with the other, it's much too hard to knee steer. "You shouldn't do that!" he shouted, wide-eyed with alarm, over the traffic and LT4. I need to be closed captioned for the humor impaired.

Out on the Fayetteville city streets, partly in good repair and partly in the midst of resurfacing with manhole covers sticking up to add interest, the ride felt better than my soft-hearted C6 base suspension gives. I suppose it should, with monster tires and MRC. Contrary to what some say, I didn't feel it was rougher than the Z51 mag ride; maybe even softer. Rounding the corner onto Skibo Road, I did the Corvette Wave to a passing C5.

Then he stomped on it, and only somewhat. I don't know how fast exactly we topped out at, but the acceleration was, as advertised, enough to plaster me to the seat. As I feared, I began leaning toward the conclusion that another, oh, 20 or 30 grand over a Stingray would be well worth it. Except that for the same price as this one, I could have what I really really want--a convertible 2LZ that comes with those chilly seats that I had already gotten sooo attached to.

Oh, my turn to drive, so we pulled into a shopping center parking lot. Let's adjust everything out (except the mirrors, which I didn't notice until I was in traffic, not a good idea), set the mode to Sport, and very gingerly make our way back to the street. Sure enough, you could take it easy in this Z all day and have no idea how much power you aren't using. Although my union contract requires three pedals and six or seven gears on the floor, this A8 is not your syrupy slushbox of yesteryear, or yesterweek. Let it shift for you when you don't feel like putting forth the effort, or sweep the selector full aft for manual paddling. It did seem like a relatively long delay from pull to shift, as some have said, but I'm sure it's more a matter of getting used to how it works. Downshifts as you approach your destination will remove all element of surprise at your arrival.

Although we didn't have time or general manager tolerance for an extended open-air run at interstate speeds, buffeting with the roof off seems to be within reason. My C6 beats you up from behind with turbulence if you don't clip in a Ventmaster that holds the hatch open a crack to smooth out the airflow. I would still rather have a full convertible. We also didn't mess with the PDR or nav, but I can take those on faith.

All too soon, it was back to the lot for the inevitable business talk. I was already prepared to turn down this example, because when signing for the price of a decent house in my rural county, some things can't be overlooked. 2LZ is first and foremost, being very tired by now of getting out of my black C6 interior after roof-off drives on hot sunny days and being asked "why is your back so sweaty?" and also of subpar audio. The 1LZ base sound system is pretty good by my (again, low) standards, but I would always be wondering if I shouldn't have held out for a slightly better one.

In addition, I'm sorry, but SG is my least favorite 2015 color. I'm not big on gray for sports cars to start with, and although Cyber Gray could have been an exception because its blue-purple hues sparkle cheerily on a bright day, GM unfortunately discovered that lots of people loved CG, so they got rid of it. SG just doesn't do it for me. The most I can say is that it beats Lamborghini's Grigio Telesto, which must be Italian for "plastic battleship."

Still and all, it was hard to resist the nothing-down 3.99% for 84 months deal that the floor manager was able to swing. Very hard, and had that been a 2LZ M7 convertible, I likely would have taken it home. Even though I would seriously have had to start selling things and looking for second and third jobs.

Instead, I said I just can't lay out that much for things I don't want (A8, which together with GGT is $3,025; visible CF roof $1,995; stinger $500) when the same extra money would cover 2LZ and some of the convertible difference. Also, let's see how next week goes financially, as I had a hearing Monday morning to present evidence of damages for a client who had been seriously wronged by a contractor who then defaulted, so we're waiting for the judge to rule on how much we get. I know we can collect it because the land he owns is worth more than the maximum possible award. That way, I might not have to go back to the Ph.D program (Pizza hut. Delivery) to make the payments.

They were sad to see me go, but they said they'd look for a dealer-to-dealer trade if anybody else had what I wanted. I sincerely hope they find one, because dangit, I knew I shouldn't have driven that thing, and now I can't get it out of my head! If anybody wants a sweet, or at least reasonable, deal on this outstanding car, PM me and I'll point you in their direction if nobody has snapped it up yet.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:49 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 221 Posts

Great story. Just to comment: the air-circulation seat fans are great in hot weather. And my Z06 is definitely a little bumpier in tour than my Z51 with MRC was.

Regarding your decision: there are no wrong choices with the C7. They are all so much better than the C6, which was pretty darned good itself.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:40 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Awesome story. I enjoyed reading every word!
Old 05-22-2015, 01:49 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Now that was actually a fun read.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:46 PM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for the good words. Looks like the Z is still there if anybody wants to PM me. Their other Zs haven't lasted more than a week. Another one, a 2LZ M7 in Charlotte that I was hoping they could trade for, was gone within three days while none of their Stingrays moved. Somebody must like them.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:35 PM
Flyboy22
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I test drove a C6Z a few years back, and that was it, I was hooked. There's no going back to the base model after you've felt that kind of power.

Took me the next 4 years to save for it, but by golly I bought one.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:16 AM
millpond
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 197 Posts

Great story, you should be a comedy writer!

Get notified of new replies

To Short test drive: Z51 M7 v. Z51 mag ride A8 v. Z06 A8

Quick Reply: Short test drive: Z51 M7 v. Z51 mag ride A8 v. Z06 A8