C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

2015 Z06 Steel Rotor Braking Squealing

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 09:32 AM
UltimateVette
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 2015 Z06 Steel Rotor Braking Squealing

My new 2015 Z06 with 700 miles on it has problems every time I come to a slow stop while street driving. The brakes work fine but just before I come to a complete stop, it seems that the pads squeal. I took it to a Chevy dealer who said there were no service bulletins about it. The CF C7 General Discussion has several threads from other 2015 Z06 owners with steel rotors having issues as well. My last new Z06 was a 2008 and it never had this problem. I don't use my 2015 Z06 to run on a track, just strictly street driving. What can be done to fix this annoying problem?

Old 05-28-2015, 09:42 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by UltimateVette
My new 2015 Z06 with 700 miles on it has problems every time I come to a slow stop while street driving.
I moved this out of the "Ask Tadge" section as I suspect it's a simple solution and doesn't need the VLE's attention.

What you need is to have a small amount of pad grease applied to the BACKS(!!) of the pads. What you're hearing is the resonance of the pads inside the calipers. The pads are always vibrating, but they do so at a rate we can't usually hear. As you slow down, the pitch of that noise drops low enough that human ears can pick it up; thus the squeal.

Various manufacturers solve this in different ways. Some use separate shims for the backs of the pads. Some pad backs have shims built into them. Others just use pad grease which is the simplest of solutions.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:05 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

My new 2015 Z06 with 700 miles on it has problems every time I come to a slow stop while street driving. The brakes work fine but just before I come to a complete stop, it seems that the pads squeal. I took it to a Chevy dealer who said there were no service bulletins about it. The CF C7 General Discussion has several threads from other 2015 Z06 owners with steel rotors having issues as well. My last new Z06 was a 2008 and it never had this problem. I don't use my 2015 Z06 to run on a track, just strictly street driving. What can be done to fix this annoying problem?

Get these...problem solved for me as well as much reduced dust from the oem pads!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rotor-zo6.html
Old 05-28-2015, 11:34 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by BOBSZ06
Get these...problem solved for me as well as much reduced dust from the oem pads!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rotor-zo6.html
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 05-28-2015, 11:36 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Switch pads to the Carbotech 1521 compound. I will be happy to help you let me know.

Carbotech™ Bobcat 1521™ The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non-corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.

F: $267 R: $173 Less 5% forum discount.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:10 PM
UltimateVette
Instructor

Originally Posted by jvp
I moved this out of the "Ask Tadge" section as I suspect it's a simple solution and doesn't need the VLE's attention.

What you need is to have a small amount of pad grease applied to the BACKS(!!) of the pads. What you're hearing is the resonance of the pads inside the calipers. The pads are always vibrating, but they do so at a rate we can't usually hear. As you slow down, the pitch of that noise drops low enough that human ears can pick it up; thus the squeal.

Various manufacturers solve this in different ways. Some use separate shims for the backs of the pads. Some pad backs have shims built into them. Others just use pad grease which is the simplest of solutions.
If that is the solution to fix it, shouldn't my Chevy dealer be doing it as covered under warranty free of charge?
Old 05-28-2015, 02:20 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

I notice mine squeak when the wheels are dirty. I think the pad dust doesn't help. If I keep the car washed and wheels and brakes clean.
They seem to never squeak. This is all cars not just the new Z06.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:29 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

If that is the solution to fix it, shouldn't my Chevy dealer be doing it as covered under warranty free of charge?
They should if they have a clue about what's actually causing the noise. They might not understand the issue.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:50 PM
Flyboy22
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

My iron brakes squealed LOUDLY for the first 3000 miles, starting when I picked up the car at the dealer. Like ear piercing, can't roll your window down loud. I even bedded in my brakes properly, and but the problem persisted.

Then it just kind of went away. They still squeal just a bit coming to a stop, but it's completely tolerable now. I was about to go huffing into the dealership, but fortunately the problem resolved to something I can now live with. I would say give it some time and see if it stops. Clean / dirty made no difference in my case, just racking up some miles.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:46 PM
408sbc
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Before dumping a big pile of money into new pads, drop by your NAPA store and pick up an inexpensive small orange bottle of Disc Brake Quiet made by CRC. Pop the pads, apply a thin bead on the back plates, allow to air dry a bit, reassemble and you'll probably be good to go. Any brake shop worth their salt will know about it. I have used it on many brake jobs over the years as a matter of habit and have never had a problem with squeaks or squeals. As was mentioned, the squealing is a brake pad component resonant frequency and this stuff will damp that frequency (vibration).
Old 06-01-2015, 09:33 AM
UltimateVette
Instructor

Originally Posted by jvp
They should if they have a clue about what's actually causing the noise. They might not understand the issue.
There was the same issue with the 2014 Corvette and brake squeal issues. Chevy issued a TB #P11258 to replace Front Disc Brake, Front Disc Pad, and Lubricant. My experience with going to dealers' are that they won't fix anything without a TB so they can get paid.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:54 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

There is a different option. Do nothing and just let them squeal. There is nothing wrong with brake squeal other than in the ear of the beholder. People can usually reduce squeal by shortening the stopping distance by using the brakes harder and just easing off the brake pedal as the wheels come to a stop so the nose doesn't bob up and down.

Bill
Old 06-03-2015, 09:20 AM
UltimateVette
Instructor

Originally Posted by jvp
You're right, they don't understand the issues. The dealer put the pad grease only on the edges of the front brake pads, thus the noise continued. I had to take it to my own corvette mechanic who did understand the problem and put the pad grease on the backs of all the pads. I had to absorb the cost for that unless GM wants to reimburse me.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:23 PM
ThunderWheels
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just switched to the Carbotech 3 weeks ago. They are squealing like a stuck pig. I love the performance of them, but I have to grease them or something.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:38 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by ThunderWheels
I just switched to the Carbotech 3 weeks ago. They are squealing like a stuck pig. I love the performance of them, but I have to grease them or something.
What compound?
Old 06-04-2015, 05:54 PM
ThunderWheels
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
What compound?
Bobcat 1521 Front and rear.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:52 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

1. If you bed them sounds like you glazed them.
2. If you did not clean up the rotors from the OE material this could be an issue also.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:55 AM
UltimateVette
Instructor

Originally Posted by ThunderWheels
I had my local independent corvette mechanic apply the pad grease to the back of the whole pad, not just around the edges like the dealer did.
They reinstalled the stock pads with the backs now fully greased and my brakes are now quiet again.

Old 06-09-2015, 03:15 PM
jmk
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Brake Squeal - OM

I know no one is going to like this (I didn't), however, the Owners Manual, page 10-30 states that brake squeal is normal. It also states that the brake dust is normal on the same page. Ceramic pads ought to be a good option for both issues.

Get notified of new replies

To 2015 Z06 Steel Rotor Braking Squealing

Quick Reply: 2015 Z06 Steel Rotor Braking Squealing