C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Please talk me out of buying something else!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 11:45 PM
A-Pex
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Please talk me out of buying something else!!!!

I’ll save the long, drawn out story for later. Suffice it to say, I’m about at the end of my rope waiting, hoping, and dealing with the craziness of buying what I had hoped would be my second and the best corvette/car I’ve ever owned. I placed my order in early March (TPW 4/20) and it arrived at the dealer just over a week ago (5/20). Sadly, there’s something wrong and it’s unclear if it’s repairable or how long it’s going to take to fix it. Below is a link to the issue:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-the-hood.html

Before we start the discussion, let me be clear. I understand there’s no such thing as a zero defect product and the Corvette Z06 is not immune to this reality. I’m ok with that, but I’d at least like a timeline for potentially getting my car. To the best of my knowledge, this isn’t an issue with someone not doing their job. Instead, it just seems like some bad luck keeping me from buying/driving my new car. Without that timeline, I’m left deflated and frustrated with the situation. Let me also say that I understand the situation I face is not the end of the world, and I might easily wait it out and see how things progress. I’m just not sure that I want to.

I know I’m asking this question of my fellow Corvette Forum members, but I’ve been a member for quite a few years, and I respect the opinions and informed perspectives found here.

So here I sit, searching the internet and wondering if it might make more sense to just drive down and pick up one of the following new cars:
1) Nissan GTR
2) Audi R8 (V8)
3) Porsche 911 Carrera S.

I’m ok with spending up to about $140K, but I can’t bring myself to spend more than that for something I can't live in. Consequently, GTR NISMO, R8 V10, Carrera Turbo, and pretty much any Ferrari are out. The alternative to one of these cars or waiting for the "fix" is to look into walking away from the '15 Z06 and getting on the list for a ’16.

So please… talk me out of looking elsewhere, or let me know why I should pick up one of these other amazing cars!

And… discuss.

Last edited by A-Pex; 05-29-2015 at 09:27 AM.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:48 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Ascertain if the "fix" to your ordered car, now at the dealer, is acceptable-in-concept. If so, wait it out...

If not, buy the car you really want to drive, whether it be a different C7 Z06 or one of your other choices...

Either way, first-world problems to have !
Old 05-28-2015, 11:54 PM
-HAIRBALL-
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

What is wrong with it???
Old 05-29-2015, 12:07 AM
corvettemonster
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Well, sorry for your frustration(s), but you're being very unclear with what's going on with your issue.

But since you're willing to spend up to 140K, buy the 991 GT3 - you'll have no regrets.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:07 AM
A-Pex
Racer

Originally Posted by -HAIRBALL-
What is wrong with it???
Old 05-29-2015, 12:08 AM
A-Pex
Racer

Originally Posted by corvettemonster
Well, sorry for your frustration(s), but you're being very unclear with what's going on with your issue.

But since you're willing to spend up to 140K, buy the 991 GT3 - you'll have no regrets.
Apologies. I wasn't trying to be cagey. Just didn't want to re-hash another thread. I'll update my initial post with a link to the issues.

Also, THANKS! for the recommendation... I'll add that to the list!
Old 05-29-2015, 12:13 AM
corvettemonster
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I see, thanks for the link.

Well, I'd wait it out and see if you can work something out within next 2-3 weeks; but, if you MUST have a ride now, either:

1. Buy a Z06 from another dealer if the current dealer is not willing to help you out.

2. Buy a 991 GT3

Last edited by corvettemonster; 05-29-2015 at 12:18 AM.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:14 AM
c7jim
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by A-Pex
I’ll save the long, drawn out story for later. Suffice it to say, I’m about at the end of my rope waiting, hoping, and dealing with the craziness of buying what I had hoped would be my second and the best corvette/car I’ve ever owned. I placed my order in early March (TPW 4/20) and it arrived at the dealer just over a week ago. Sadly, there’s something wrong and it’s unclear if it’s repairable or how long it’s going to take to fix it.

Before we start the discussion, let me be clear. I understand there’s no such thing as a zero defect product and the Corvette Z06 is not immune to this reality. I’m ok with that, but I’d at least like a timeline for potentially getting my car. To the best of my knowledge, this isn’t an issue with someone not doing their job. Instead, it just seems like some bad luck keeping me from buying/driving my new car. Without that timeline, I’m left deflated and frustrated with the situation. Let me also say that I understand the situation I face is not the end of the world, and I might easily wait it out and see how things progress. I’m just not sure that I want to.

I know I’m asking this question of my fellow Corvette Forum members, but I’ve been a member for quite a few years, and I respect the opinions and informed perspectives found here.

So here I sit, searching the internet and wondering if it might make more sense to just drive down and pick up one of the following new cars:
1) Nissan GTR
2) Audi R8 (V8)

I’m ok with spending up to about $140K, but I can’t bring myself to spend more than that for something I can't live in. Consequently, GTR NISMO, R8 V10, Carrera Turbo, and pretty much any Ferrari are out. The alternative to one of these cars or waiting for the "fix" is to look into walking away from the '15 Z06 and getting on the list for a ’16.

So please… talk me out of looking elsewhere, or let me know why I should pick up one of these other amazing cars!

And… discuss.
After giving a deposit in august 2014, ordering in December 2014, car arrived with damage to drivers door. I was devastated. However, I did not accept delivery. Les Stanford chevrolet and GM got together and built me a new car. Yes, I had to wait an additional 8 weeks or so, but now I have it and am loving it. It was worth the wait
Old 05-29-2015, 12:44 AM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

I’ll save the long, drawn out story for later. Suffice it to say, I’m about at the end of my rope waiting, hoping, and dealing with the craziness of buying what I had hoped would be my second and the best corvette/car I’ve ever owned. I placed my order in early March (TPW 4/20) and it arrived at the dealer just over a week ago. Sadly, there’s something wrong and it’s unclear if it’s repairable or how long it’s going to take to fix it. Below is a link to the issue:

1) Nissan GTR
2) Audi R8 (V8)

And… discuss.
I would go for the 16 ZO6, but if you decide to go a different direction, and can spend 140k, the Mercedes AMG GT-S is worth checking out.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:47 AM
ChrisN123
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Can you wait/stretch for the 2016 Acura NSX?

If not, I would either demand a STEEP discount to take your 2015 car once fixed, or try to get an early slot for 2016 build.

R8 / GT-R / 991 are old news. Why bother?
Old 05-29-2015, 01:03 AM
corvettemonster
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ChrisN123
Can you wait/stretch for the 2016 Acura NSX?

If not, I would either demand a STEEP discount to take your 2015 car once fixed, or try to get an early slot for 2016 build.

R8 / GT-R / 991 are old news. Why bother?
I really wouldn't consider a 2014 or 2015 991 GT3 old news.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:04 AM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

Want one of these?

Z06 coupe
2LZ package
Laguna blue with jet black interior
8 speed auto
Competition seats
Visible carbon fiber roof panel
CFZ ground effects (painted carbon flash)
Carbon flash stinger hood decal
Carbon fiber interior trim
Nav w/PDR
Black calipers
Spectra gray wheels
MSRP - $98,750
Old 05-29-2015, 01:12 AM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

Sorry to hear about the issues on your Z06. I hope it all gets sorted out quickly and you have your car back to enjoy.

As far as the other cars on your list, they seem fine, except the R8 V8 is kind of expensive for what it is (in my opinion) and I feel that it won't provide you with as much fun as the Z06!

Best of luck with the car man!
Old 05-29-2015, 01:14 AM
A-Pex
Racer

Originally Posted by jaden61
Want one of these?

Z06 coupe
2LZ package
Laguna blue with jet black interior
8 speed auto
Competition seats
Visible carbon fiber roof panel
CFZ ground effects (painted carbon flash)
Carbon flash stinger hood decal
Carbon fiber interior trim
Nav w/PDR
Black calipers
Spectra gray wheels
MSRP - $98,750
In short, yes! PM details?

However, it sounds remarkably like the one at Folsom Chevy that Marshall (the owner) is asking $20K over MSRP for... but yes, that was the first car I was going to buy (if it's the same one) until I was told it was being sold to his friend, then not sold, then it was for sale at the aforementioned $20K mark-up.

Is it up for sale at MSRP?
Old 05-29-2015, 01:36 AM
D.B.S.
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which car do you want? M7 or A8.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:25 AM
crazystylin
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

In short, yes! PM details?

However, it sounds remarkably like the one at Folsom Chevy that Marshall (the owner) is asking $20K over MSRP for... but yes, that was the first car I was going to buy (if it's the same one) until I was told it was being sold to his friend, then not sold, then it was for sale at the aforementioned $20K mark-up.

Is it up for sale at MSRP?
Funny. I bought a 2014 stingray from Marshall at Folsom Chevy in October 2013. I wanted to trade up and buy a 2015 Z06 for $80k. emailed and called 3 times. Never got back to me. I found a 2015 z06 2lz with aero package w 4000 miles picked it up for $83k.

Needless to say I'm in love!! Great car. Perfect price. Keep looking you'll find one.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:28 AM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Just order a 2016 Z06. Sometimes sh-- happens. Those other brands you mentioned have hard --s show up from time to time too.

Get notified of new replies

To Please talk me out of buying something else!!!!

Old 05-29-2015, 07:40 AM
A-Pex
Racer

Originally Posted by D.B.S.
Which car do you want? M7 or A8.
Need an A8... Bad knee.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:45 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

do whatever you want, but if it were me, I'd go for a '16 and dump this '15 w/o buying it. or, you can buy any of your other choices right now.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:57 AM
D.B.S.
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need an A8... Bad knee.
Ok, I've got a perfect SG 3LZ M7 w/6000miles that I'm trading in the next few weeks, going to offer it to you first.

Quick Reply: Please talk me out of buying something else!!!!