C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports
View Poll Results: If you've Overheated What is Your Stage Aero 1, 2 or 3
Stage 1 Aero
22.70%
Stage 2 Aero
20.98%
Stage 3 Aero
56.32%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 06:15 PM
porshuh
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
I think he's an imposter!
haha I am if an imposter likes Porsches (but I also LOVE Corvettes).

Pronouncing the auto manufacturer (and family name!) "porsh", is just so wrong!

Back on topic - I've heard the dual-radiator setup on the 2016'+ Z06s in combination with M7 flavor pretty much completely eliminate the overheating issue...so I guess if I go to buy a Z06, I'll look for 2016 or newer...
Old 01-25-2017, 08:40 AM
SlowAzzVette
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by porshuh
haha I am if an imposter likes Porsches (but I also LOVE Corvettes).

Pronouncing the auto manufacturer (and family name!) "porsh", is just so wrong!

Back on topic - I've heard the dual-radiator setup on the 2016'+ Z06s in combination with M7 flavor pretty much completely eliminate the overheating issue...so I guess if I go to buy a Z06, I'll look for 2016 or newer...
There are sweet deals on the 2017. Check out MacMulkin he is doing some awesome deals on the Z06's and he is one awesome dealer to do business with. Even if you were to order, that's where I would order from.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:08 PM
serendib
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowAzzVette
There are sweet deals on the 2017. Check out MacMulkin he is doing some awesome deals on the Z06's and he is one awesome dealer to do business with. Even if you were to order, that's where I would order from.
I can 2nd that. After much shopping around the country I ordered my 2017 Z07 M7 from McMulkin and they have taken excellent care of me. I could not justify getting a 2016 and running the risk of overheating. The 2nd water radiator mod might not be that expensive but I would expect the upgraded supercharger would.
The following users liked this post:
SlowAzzVette (01-29-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 03:22 AM
Billy Shashaty
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Has anyone heard anything about the retrofit cooling kit from GM? 17's been out for sometime now and I heard mention of such a kit for the 15s and 16s.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:46 AM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 425 Likes on 243 Posts

Not a peep since Tadge made mention of it at last years Bash. Loosing hope they will offer anything.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:09 AM
augerdogger
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy Shashaty
Has anyone heard anything about the retrofit cooling kit from GM? 17's been out for sometime now and I heard mention of such a kit for the 15s and 16s.
I talked to an engineer from GM at B-J and they do not have a kit. The '17 parts are available and listed in a performance catalog. At least they are acknowledging there is a problem. Sold my A8 and bought an M7 which has not overheated
Old 03-03-2017, 01:54 PM
Billy Shashaty
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by augerdogger
I talked to an engineer from GM at B-J and they do not have a kit. The '17 parts are available and listed in a performance catalog. At least they are acknowledging there is a problem. Sold my A8 and bought an M7 which has not overheated
I looked at the catalog and only thing I see is the secondary radiator.
What year is your M7 car?
Old 03-18-2017, 09:16 PM
Dreamracer
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, new to the site... I need help!! Bought my beautiful 2015 Z06 brand new in April of 2015, all I have had is trouble, overheats any time I drive it over 80MPH, took it to the dealer 8 times for overheating issues, dealer replaced water pump 3 times, overheated on me again on a road trip to TN, under normal driving conditions, stopped at gas station and took 1.5 gallons of antifreeze, car has now been at the dealer for 12 days only to be told "Sorry cannot duplicate within normal road laws (55MPH)". So basically I bought a $113k Chevy Cruze. Filed a complaint with GM and the representative told me they would compensate me for 3 days car rental and would not be able to do anything about the overheating issue. The car has just over 11k and it already feels like it does not have the power it had when it was new. I ma really disappointed, cause on one side, I love the car but on the other, cannot drive it over 55 for fear of overheating, what should I do?
Old 03-18-2017, 09:22 PM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dreamracer
Hey guys, new to the site... I need help!! Bought my beautiful 2015 Z06 brand new in April of 2015, all I have had is trouble, overheats any time I drive it over 80MPH, took it to the dealer 8 times for overheating issues, dealer replaced water pump 3 times, overheated on me again on a road trip to TN, under normal driving conditions, stopped at gas station and took 1.5 gallons of antifreeze, car has now been at the dealer for 12 days only to be told "Sorry cannot duplicate within normal road laws (55MPH)". So basically I bought a $113k Chevy Cruze. Filed a complaint with GM and the representative told me they would compensate me for 3 days car rental and would not be able to do anything about the overheating issue. The car has just over 11k and it already feels like it does not have the power it had when it was new. I ma really disappointed, cause on one side, I love the car but on the other, cannot drive it over 55 for fear of overheating, what should I do?
wow. Call a lawyer. Contact your state attorney and call better business bureau. Go to the press. Local news shows often have a consumer segment where they can help I even if ur story is not on tv. Call the news papers as well
Old 03-18-2017, 09:29 PM
ChrisN123
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

....took it to the dealer 8 times for overheating issues, dealer replaced water pump 3 times

http://consumer.georgia.gov/consumer...teps-to-follow
Old 03-19-2017, 09:56 AM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

Welcome to this community. As you may expect these cars do not overheat that easy. From my experience the focus should be on the consumption of the 1.5 gallons of coolant. I know its under warranty and they should be able to figure it out but sometimes giving the dealer direction cant hurt.

Abnormal coolant consumption that is not visibly leaking can be from multiple issues. I would do a leak down test on each cylinder and plug check. It could be a burnt out head or intake gasket. The coolant could be coming out the exhaust in that case also. Cracked head, again burning thru the exhaust. In all these cases the engine performance may be compromised too just as you mentioned.

It may be time to try another dealer. Changing the water pump 3 times is a joke! This may be a pia but so would be the legal action.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:51 AM
freeman1215
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Anyone seen this article? Sure it will get me in trouble with the Powers that Be, but it looks like the Mustang guys are smarter than we are. Hope some of you see this before it's deleted.

A lawsuit filed against Ford by a group of Shelby GT350 Mustang owners claims that the track-ready cars can overheat due to defects in the transmission and rear differentials. Plaintiffs represented by the law firms ________ allege that the GT350s cannot be operated safely at racetracks as advertised, due to overheating issues that can develop in as little as 15 minutes of high-speed driving, leading to cars going into "limp mode." The suit claims that this condition occurs at high speeds, causing the vehicles to suddenly lose power and decelerate, putting drivers at risk on the track.
The following 2 users liked this post by freeman1215:
Hemi Dave (04-25-2017), thebishman (03-24-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 07:17 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by freeman1215
Anyone seen this article? Sure it will get me in trouble with the Powers that Be, but it looks like the Mustang guys are smarter than we are. Hope some of you see this before it's deleted.

A lawsuit filed against Ford by a group of Shelby GT350 Mustang owners claims that the track-ready cars can overheat due to defects in the transmission and rear differentials. Plaintiffs represented by the law firms ________ allege that the GT350s cannot be operated safely at racetracks as advertised, due to overheating issues that can develop in as little as 15 minutes of high-speed driving, leading to cars going into "limp mode." The suit claims that this condition occurs at high speeds, causing the vehicles to suddenly lose power and decelerate, putting drivers at risk on the track.
Those owners that are behind that lawsuit are tracking 2016 GT350's that do NOT have the Track Package, which was an option on the 2016's, but is standard across those cars starting in 2017. The Track Package included engine, transmission and diff coolers. They chose to track their cars without that option. Their lawsuit is merit less,IMO.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:25 PM
freeman1215
Pro

My point is, this directly applies and is interchangeable to the moaning and groaning that we see for many on this site that complain about the exact same 2015 & 2016 overheating issues to our "most track ready Corvette ever". At least they are trying to do something instead of just complaining about it over-and-over again on this and other forums.
The following users liked this post:
AirBusPilot (04-04-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 08:13 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

My point is, this directly applies and is interchangeable to the moaning and groaning that we see for many on this site that complain about the exact same 2015 & 2016 overheating issues to our "most track ready Corvette ever". At least they are trying to do something instead of just complaining about it over-and-over again on this and other forums.
I hear you, I just think the Ford case is much more cut and dried.

The Z06 is a murkier case, IMO.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:20 PM
freeman1215
Pro

Maybe. But try this. Replace Shelby GT350 Mustang and GT 350's in the lawsuit quote with Chevrolet Corvette Z06 and Corvette and see if it doesn't work.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:52 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Maybe. But try this. Replace Shelby GT350 Mustang and GT 350's in the lawsuit quote with Chevrolet Corvette Z06 and Corvette and see if it doesn't work.
The distinction is that Ford offered a "Track Package" for those that wanted to race their cars on a track. The presumption was it was needed for the track. If you had no plans to track it, those additional coolers were an unnecessary expense, so a buyer could save money by skipping that option. That's easy to understand.

The Z06 had no such option, and instead was already engineered for such use, but in the real world that engineering failed for serious track use. I suspect it would be far more difficult to show liability based on a marketing statement. The Ford case would be FAR easier to defend, IMO.

Get notified of new replies

To ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***

Old 04-04-2017, 09:08 PM
freeman1215
Pro

Not necessarily. Although Chevrolet never really "admitted" to the overheating problems, they offered several fixes (additional radiator, coolers, etc.) to rectify those problems. AT owners additional cost. The 2017 supercharger is another good example of that. Given these facts, in my estimation, a case against Chevrolet would be FAR easier to pursue!

Last edited by freeman1215; 04-04-2017 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:13 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Not necessarily. Although Chevrolet never really "admitted" to the overheating problems, they offered several fixes (additional radiator, coolers, etc.) to rectify those problems. AT owners additional cost. The 2017 supercharger is another good example of that. Given these facts, in my estimation, a case against Chevrolet would be FAR easier to pursue!
"Fixes" are different than known options. That's where the Ford lawsuit fails out of the gate. Why sue then? Ford gave those buyers the option to buy a Track Package, the buyers willfully ignored that option, and instead tracked their cars anyway.

In a Z06 lawsuit, it could only be based on a marketing statement about it being "the most track ready Corvette ever". This isn't a defect, like the c6 Z06 exhaust valve issue. It's just an advertising statement. Those kind of statements get a lot of leeway. As you can well imagine.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:21 PM
freeman1215
Pro

Yes, I'm sure False Advertising could difficult to prove. I mean it's not like there are hundreds of posts/documented examples of customers with this issue.

Quick Reply: ZO6 overheating issues ***MEGA Merge***