C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Battery Disconnect?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 03:13 PM
67*427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Battery Disconnect?

I have a battery disconnect on my '67 BB and I really like knowing everything is really OFF when I cover the car. Has anyone figured out how to do a disconnect on the Z06? I'm sure I could do a "Green ****" but that would be a bit of a PITB to get to each time.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Steve
Old 06-07-2015, 03:40 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Get a battery maintainer!!!

The C7 "Battery Protection Package" just plugs into the port back near the battery. Get one from your dealer.

I use a $22 maintainer I got in Target and it's worked for years on my C6 Z06 and ZR1.

Edited: Here's a link to a thread in the C7 Gen section about what you might lose when you disconnect the battery. Everybody agrees to just keep the battery on a charger/maintainer.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1588160796

Last edited by BEZ06; 06-07-2015 at 03:45 PM. Reason: added link
Old 06-07-2015, 04:38 PM
67*427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I do have a battery tender but that doesn't address the issue of everything being turned off when in storage.

Thanks for the reply though...

Steve
Old 06-07-2015, 05:02 PM
15Z06
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You're saying that there's no electricity available while in storage, correct?
Old 06-07-2015, 07:10 PM
ParishM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

no, he's saying he wants to disconnect all power from the battery
when it's in storage.

here's a wired disconnect, you would have to install a switch in the
dash ?

Amazon.com: Intellitec Battery Disconnect Relay-Prevents Dead Batteries: Automotive Amazon.com: Intellitec Battery Disconnect Relay-Prevents Dead Batteries: Automotive

here's a wireless remote disconnect

Amazon.com: WirthCo 20395 Battery Life Preserver Black Automatic Battery Disconnect: Automotive Amazon.com: WirthCo 20395 Battery Life Preserver Black Automatic Battery Disconnect: Automotive
Old 06-07-2015, 07:24 PM
15Z06
Instructor

Originally Posted by ParishM
no, he's saying he wants to disconnect all power from the battery
when it's in storage.

here's a wired disconnect, you would have to install a switch in the
dash ?

Amazon.com: Intellitec Battery Disconnect Relay-Prevents Dead Batteries: Automotive

here's a wireless remote disconnect

Amazon.com: WirthCo 20395 Battery Life Preserver Black Automatic Battery Disconnect: Automotive
Thanks, but I'd just as soon hear from the OP what his intent is ;-)

Reason being that I don't understand the reasoning for a disconnect UNLESS he's storing the car where there's no electricity.

Keeping the battery fully charged with (assuming a quality charging unit) is better for the battery's longevity than simply disconnecting it and IMO is less of a pita to boot.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:29 PM
ParishM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

not sure how much clearer he can be ?

read post #3, he has a battery tender and is not worried about
keeping the battery charged. he wants to be able to disconnect
all power from the battery when in storage !
Old 06-07-2015, 08:10 PM
67*427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ParishM
not sure how much clearer he can be ?

read post #3, he has a battery tender and is not worried about
keeping the battery charged. he wants to be able to disconnect
all power from the battery when in storage !
What he said.... EXACTLY!

I have battery disconnects on all my other cars that are not daily drivers. Most of them have battery tenders (or a variation thereof) on them as well. I'm not concerned about the battery going down. I just feel much better knowing that there is NO power on in the vehicle.

Oh, my '39 John Deere B has no battery disconnect on it but then, it has no battery. Hand cranked with a magneto.

Steve
Old 06-07-2015, 09:26 PM
Thrill6
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Haven't you answered your own question already?
Old 06-07-2015, 10:49 PM
67*427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Thrill6
Haven't you answered your own question already?
How so? Where did I answer my own question?

I did like the remote controlled shut off. That might be a good option if someone hasn't come up with a better way.

sd
Old 06-08-2015, 11:10 AM
15Z06
Instructor

Ok. Well I hope I can be forgiven for

1) Offering assistance it helping your (sometimes expensive) batteries last longer
2) Still not understanding the reasoning for disconnecting them
Old 06-08-2015, 11:44 AM
mdz06vetter
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Doesn't disconnecting battery clear ALL memory in the computer(s)? Just asking, as believe this to be the case. So, if that is what the OP wants to accomplish...............
Old 06-08-2015, 02:53 PM
67*427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Don Ray
Ok. Well I hope I can be forgiven for

1) Offering assistance it helping your (sometimes expensive) batteries last longer
2) Still not understanding the reasoning for disconnecting them
Don,

No problem and I appreciate your assistance and suggestions. As for making the batteries last longer, my experience may be a bit different than most. I have a diesel motorhome that has a battery disconnect for both the house (deep cycle) batteries and the three big starting batteries for the Caterpillar. My house batteries are now 8 years old (and working well) and I replace the starting batteries at 5 years "just because". Neither battery bank has a line powered charger. Recently, the motorhome was started after sitting over 4 months. The house batteries were at 96% and the starting batteries were fully recharged in about 10 minutes of driving.

My Cessna 172 had a battery disconnect and batteries in it lasted 5 years or so with no charger. All my other cars other than daily drivers have disconnects (with trickle chargers) and the batteries hold up just fine. To be honest, I have seen little difference in the life of batteries with or without the charger but I don't think a good quality charger hurts,

As for why I want to do it, I simply believe it's safer to store a car (or motorhome or plane) with no power on and that's why I would like to do so.

Yes, the Corvette will lose some memories (apparently the window indexing primarily) but I have no issue with that. Call it preference or being over cautious..... I've done it on others and I would PREFER to do it on my Z06, not for battery longevity but for safety.

Hope that answers the why question.

Steve

Last edited by 67*427; 06-08-2015 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:07 PM
15Z06
Instructor

I totally understand now that it's personal preference based on "Its worked for me in the past" rather than an identified mechanical requirement or limitation. Our backgrounds are similar very similar. As a past Mercededes engine rebuilder, licensed Airframe mechanic, aircraft and boat owner I've also spent some fair amount of time around various toys and their cranking or deep-cycle batteries.

While I respect your decision to disconnect rather than charge, I will offer that a rather renowned car-collecting acquaintance of mine has 50 some-odd cars - all on maintainers. (Maybe it's the hassle factor of disconnecting so many batteries, lol)

Also, while you're thankfully not experiencing any battery failures, it's unequivocal that storing lead-acid batteries at full charge to prevent sulfation (as a result of self discharge which occurs even when the battery is disconnected) is better for their longevity.

Thanks for understanding that I'm not here to arm twist, just trying to offer 2c worth of science to the over all conversation.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:18 PM
67*427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

No problem Don and I DO appreciate your questions and suggestions. To be clear, I have several cars that I have disconnects on as well as "maintainers" and I can't say I have seen any significant difference in life of their batteries. In fact, most recently, I wanted to take my '67 BB out and we did. It cranked a bit slow but I figured it was "just because". That battery, while disconnected, has always had a maintainer on it. Anyway, we went to a friend's house and when we tried to leave, it was dead. Took jumpers to get us going. It was an Interstate battery, just over three years old. Also had a similar experience with my '95 Impala a year or so ago. Always on a maintainer with a disconnect and when we wanted to start it, the battery was shot. That battery was about 3.5 years old.

I have a Kubota diesel tractor... no maintainer. Battery is fine every time I go to start. Like I said, I can't say that I have seen a DRAMATIC improvement in my battery life by using the maintainer. I don't think it HURTS the batteries but like I said.....

Steve
Old 06-08-2015, 07:19 PM
15Z06
Instructor

Originally Posted by 67*427
No problem Don and I DO appreciate your questions and suggestions. To be clear, I have several cars that I have disconnects on as well as "maintainers" and I can't say I have seen any significant difference in life of their batteries. In fact, most recently, I wanted to take my '67 BB out and we did. It cranked a bit slow but I figured it was "just because". That battery, while disconnected, has always had a maintainer on it. Anyway, we went to a friend's house and when we tried to leave, it was dead. Took jumpers to get us going. It was an Interstate battery, just over three years old. Also had a similar experience with my '95 Impala a year or so ago. Always on a maintainer with a disconnect and when we wanted to start it, the battery was shot. That battery was about 3.5 years old.

I have a Kubota diesel tractor... no maintainer. Battery is fine every time I go to start. Like I said, I can't say that I have seen a DRAMATIC improvement in my battery life by using the maintainer. I don't think it HURTS the batteries but like I said.....

Steve
I'm feeling your pain on the battery which died in spite of maintenance charge. I've had the same thing happen and determined that the maintainer had cooked the H2O out of the battery. Since then I swapped to a name brand and have had good luck. Left 2 marine batts on it for 3 years straight without ill effects.

Sounds like you have a pretty fair toy collection. Congrats!
Old 06-08-2015, 08:53 PM
67*427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Too many toys.... and batteries!

Actually thinking about selling my '95 Impala. I NEVER find time to drive it.

SD

Get notified of new replies

To Battery Disconnect?

Quick Reply: Battery Disconnect?