C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

[VR] Daytona Sunrise Corvette C7Z06 - 724whp / 723wtq - Pictures and Video Inside!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 03:20 PM
0Daniel@Vengeance
Former Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 107 Posts
Default [VR] Daytona Sunrise Corvette C7Z06 - 724whp / 723wtq - Pictures and Video Inside!

It's no secret now that the C7 Z06 is taking nicely to mods. With the supercharged LT4 platform, we are able to tweak boost and open up the air in and out of the motor to really stretch the legs of the 6.2L V8 and 1.74L Eaton blower. This customer of ours came to us with a brand new Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic Z06 ready to make some more power. This particular customer was already pretty experienced with Z06 mods as he had us build his previous orange Z06 into a 600+whp 440c.i. car that did 164mph in the 1/2 mile and 10.2 in the 1/4.

For those of you that have not seen the Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic in person, it is a truly unique color. In the shade to takes on a burnt orange look but when you get it out into the light the organic and metal flake really come alive. It is a color that is extremely hard to capture in pictures but looks absolutely amazing in person. When you mate that color to the gloss black wheels from 360 Forged, it makes for an aggressive look.

For this round of mods he wanted to make low 700's at the tire. Through the development of our shop Z06, we knew the exact path to get to that number so we got to work on upgrading the pulley's, installing one of our custom grind camshafts and along with some work to the heads and other supporting mods...made our way to the customers goal.

Modifications Installed:

VR Custom Camshaft Kit (non-DOD, retains VVT)
ARH 2” Longtube Headers w/Non-Catted X-Pipe
B&B Fusion Axle-Back System
MGW Short Throw Shifter
RPS Twin-Disc Billet Carbon Clutch
Halltech CKNZ Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake
VR 2.35 Upper Pulley Kit
Innovators West Balancer
VR Overdriven Lower Pulley ring
NGK Spark Plugs
VR Heat Sleeves
VR Milled Cylinder Heads .025”
19x12 / 19x10 360 Forged Mesh 5 in Gloss Black w/ Toyo R888

The result? 724.35whp / 723.90wtq on 93 octane without the help of methanol or any other adders! To make things even sweeter, this Z06 has road manners just like stock even at this power level.

Here is a video of the B&B Fusion exhaust system with the valves both closed and open.

For any questions on this build, any C7 Z06 performance modifications or any other late model LS performance mods, give us a call at the shop.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:23 PM
tpapablo
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice. I sure am glad I went with DSOM.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:55 PM
tones_Z
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Car looks killer.
Great job guys. I bet it's a beast and a half to drive.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:25 PM
william wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 146 Posts

And how do you keep this from overheating??
Old 06-13-2015, 10:00 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by xlr8ion
Old 06-13-2015, 10:06 AM
Madsen
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 42 Posts

Sweet car, and with your speed, it makes this a true super at.
Thanks for sharing
Old 06-13-2015, 11:08 AM
0Ron@Vengeance Racing
Former Vendor

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by xlr8ion
Is this a trick question?
Old 06-13-2015, 11:20 AM
Denstoy968
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice!!! I may have to pay visit to VR one of these days!!
Old 06-13-2015, 11:31 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Ron@Vengeance Racing
Is this a trick question?
No trick question - just an honest request for information re the concerns of a lot of folks.

Obviously you are aware that some of these cars are having issues with overheating under varying conditions, including even roll racing at night.

I say some, because there appears to be a high degree of uncertainty as to the underlying cause/fix - not all Z's experience the problem under the same circumstances.

I guess the question may have been better stated as follows:

In your planning for the mods, did you make any preparations to account for the resulting additional heat generated and its potential impact and if so, what did you folks include/change? And was there any subsequent use of the Z that might have indicated whether or not this particular Z is now or was before susceptible to the issue?

Your response above makes it seem that the likely answer to the above two questions is probably "no"???

Nick
Old 06-13-2015, 12:14 PM
moon2605
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 130 Posts

subscribed
Old 06-13-2015, 12:53 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 730 Likes on 479 Posts

Love that look, especially the wheels and the stance of the car.

I'd also like to ask that IF your customer wanted to road race the car, what are your thoughts re: a secondary engine oil cooler at a minimum to keep oil and water temps in control?

Bish
Old 06-13-2015, 09:27 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 582 Likes on 312 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

As sweet as it gets. Very nice!

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Old 06-14-2015, 07:57 PM
gonabite
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

David, is this the first cam, or at least the one that you were using prior to the one in the ZO6 shop car now?
Old 06-15-2015, 08:05 AM
0Ron@Vengeance Racing
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by pcguy2u
No trick question - just an honest request for information re the concerns of a lot of folks.

Obviously you are aware that some of these cars are having issues with overheating under varying conditions, including even roll racing at night.

I say some, because there appears to be a high degree of uncertainty as to the underlying cause/fix - not all Z's experience the problem under the same circumstances.

I guess the question may have been better stated as follows:

In your planning for the mods, did you make any preparations to account for the resulting additional heat generated and its potential impact and if so, what did you folks include/change? And was there any subsequent use of the Z that might have indicated whether or not this particular Z is now or was before susceptible to the issue?

Your response above makes it seem that the likely answer to the above two questions is probably "no"???

Nick
Nick are you referring to mechanical overheating (coolant temperature) or IAT2 (inlet air temperature)?

We have built/modified over 20 C7 Z06s now and have not seen a single issue with mechanical over heating. Most all of our builds receive a 160* thermostat to offset any concern.

With regard to IAT2s... This isn't an issue of "over heating", but the ECU will pull timing based on inlet temps and this is standard operation for any forced induction vehicle that we have ever worked on.

The vehicle featured in this build thread along with our shop C7 Z06 both have seen a fair amount of abuse including 1/4 mile- 1/2 mile racing and quite a bit of "spirited driving" thru the mountains including Tail of the Dragon with no issues to speak of at all.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:15 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Can't be sure of what I'm referring to because no one seems to have nailed down the cause - you must know that.

Based on incidents where the problem presented itself, the data suggested the IAT2 temps were not an issue.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:00 PM
0Ron@Vengeance Racing
Former Vendor

Can't be sure of what I'm referring to because no one seems to have nailed down the cause - you must know that.

Based on incidents where the problem presented itself, the data suggested the IAT2 temps were not an issue.
You do not know the question you are trying to ask? You asked me if we considered the over heating issues? What over heating issues are you referring to? Do you have any links I could catch up on that may better explain your concerns? As I said, we have not encountered any issues to date and have been working our cars very hard to find any issues possible.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:12 PM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

It appears that you are not following the myriad of threads on the issue I am referring to or that you give no credence to those report, so I'll drop it.

Get notified of new replies

To [VR] Daytona Sunrise Corvette C7Z06 - 724whp / 723wtq - Pictures and Video Inside!

Old 06-15-2015, 12:12 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

You do not know the question you are trying to ask? You asked me if we considered the over heating issues? What over heating issues are you referring to? Do you have any links I could catch up on that may better explain your concerns? As I said, we have not encountered any issues to date and have been working our cars very hard to find any issues possible.
I think you guys were just trolled in your own thread.
"Overheating" while "roll racing at night", lol, okay.
S.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:40 PM
0Ron@Vengeance Racing
Former Vendor

It appears that you are not following the myriad of threads on the issue I am referring to or that you give no credence to those report, so I'll drop it.
The only threads I have seen were related to inlet air temps/reduced timing. This isn't "over heating" which is why I asked you for clarification on your question.

You are correct, we do not spend as much time reading the forums as we do developing performance parts/packages for this community. This includes extensive R&D/abuse/data logging to ensure proper operation and performance of your vehicle.

Show me another shop aside from LMR that purchased a $100,000.00 vehicle for R&D purposes as we have....... I am sorry I was not able to answer your question to your standards.... I explained both scenarios above and stated what we have experienced with each.

Have you experienced any "over heating" with your C7 Z06? If so please provide me with as much detail as possible and I would be happy to provide you with my thoughts. You can reach me at the shop by calling 678 513 7105 or emailing Ron@VengeanceRacing.net if it is easier.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:06 PM
DaveN007
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Nick are you referring to mechanical overheating (coolant temperature) or IAT2 (inlet air temperature)?
Big on your mods.

C7 Z06s were designed to meet a target of "car won't overheat" if driven by a pro driver in 86 degree weather for a tank of fuel.

This is as described by the head design engineer.

Drivers exceeding these design parameters are seeing oil temps near 320 degrees and water temps near 250 degrees and their cars are going into limp mode to avoid catastrophic engine failure.

These limits are exceeded more quickly when A8 cars are driven in D because the transmission programming keeps revs "inhumanly" high.

People who drive their cars on road courses could really use enhanced cooling to avoid having to cut track days short when things get hot.

Not everyone who drives a Z06 on a race track is exceeding the design limits of the car.

Maybe this an opportunity for the after market community, but I suspect that there is a greater market for enhancing power for people who will never exceed the design spec for cooling.

Quick Reply: [VR] Daytona Sunrise Corvette C7Z06 - 724whp / 723wtq - Pictures and Video Inside!