C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Katech Track Attack 2015, a huge success in spite of the heat

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 10:21 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Katech Track Attack 2015, a huge success in spite of the heat

I cannot believe the heat Saturday through Sunday. 93 to 95 degrees, and 90%-100% humidity. Talk about overheating, everyone was pretty miserable from the heat, but I got some sun, and look like I live in FL, but not ones car overheated as far as I know. Three C7s had our intake system onboard, and most of the C6s were running our intake system.

The event was a huge success, even though I did not drive our C7 Z07, I handed the keyfob to Jason Harding of Katech, Jimmy Painter, former pro driver, and Andy Pilgrim, driver for Cadillac racing.

Jason, turned in a 1.36.99 based on our stop watches and ran one entire session, no overheating, and upon returning to the pits, his ECT was just over 220F.

Jimmy Painter, of Painter Racing, got in about 10 laps or so, and returned to the pits, hearing a thumping noise. I got in the car and turned up the volume of the radio (tuned to BPM) and the thumping was the bass from one of the songs! He said "That's it!, that's the thumping I heard!" ECT was 218F without a cooldown lap.

Andy Pilgrim drove our car next, and absolutely loved the Z07. He did a lot of driving for a magazine some time ago, so he was very familiar with the power. He set the car at Track Mode 5, which we have called the Andy Mode, and decided that it was too aggressive on this track due to the road surface causing way too much feedback from the bumps. He suggested Mode 4 or the Sport Mode 2 in Track Mode. His water temps were 220F. He did a 1:32 on one of his laps.

I have the PDR videos from all three drivers, but they will be too large for YouTube.

There were 3 C7 Z06s there, and one Vengeance Racing C7 with a cam, our intake and headers. No one overheated in any session (except the drivers) for the two 1/2 days of track time.

A big thank you to Jason Harding of Katech for putting this event together.

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Old 07-20-2015, 10:31 AM
GP1224
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

Nice to see hard laps with no overheat issues with pro drivers
Old 07-20-2015, 10:34 AM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 876 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by Halltech
I cannot believe the heat Saturday through Sunday. 93 to 95 degrees, and 90%-100% humidity. Talk about overheating, everyone was pretty miserable from the heat, but I got some sun, and look like I live in FL, but not ones car overheated as far as I know. Three C7s had our intake system onboard, and most of the C6s were running our intake system.

The event was a huge success, even though I did not drive our C7 Z07, I handed the keyfob to Jason Harding of Katech, Jimmy Painter, former pro driver, and Andy Pilgrim, driver for Cadillac racing.

Jason, turned in a 1.36.99 based on our stop watches and ran one entire session, no overheating, and upon returning to the pits, his ECT was just over 220F.

Jimmy Painter, of Painter Racing, got in about 10 laps or so, and returned to the pits, hearing a thumping noise. I got in the car and turned up the volume of the radio (tuned to BPM) and the thumping was the bass from one of the songs! He said "That's it!, that's the thumping I heard!" ECT was 218F without a cooldown lap.

Andy Pilgrim drove our car next, and absolutely loved the Z07. He did a lot of driving for a magazine some time ago, so he was very familiar with the power. He set the car at Track Mode 5, which we have called the Andy Mode, and decided that it was too aggressive on this track due to the road surface causing way too much feedback from the bumps. He suggested Mode 4 or the Sport Mode 2 in Track Mode. His water temps were 220F. He did a 1:32 on one of his laps.

I have the PDR videos from all three drivers, but they will be too large for YouTube.

There were 3 C7 Z06s there, and one Vengeance Racing C7 with a cam, our intake and headers. No one overheated in any session (except the drivers) for the two 1/2 days of track time.

A big thank you to Jason Harding of Katech for putting this event together.
Hopefully Jason will chime in or some other folks with pics and vids. Sounds like a good scorching time
Old 07-20-2015, 11:23 AM
ChevyChad
Melting Slicks

Received 1,295 Likes on 526 Posts

Any mods on these cars that helped to keep the overheating at bay?
Old 07-20-2015, 11:27 AM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
Any mods on these cars that helped to keep the overheating at bay?
Yeah, good drivers behind the wheel
Old 07-20-2015, 12:08 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I did a 1:35 according to the PDR. It was my last lap and I was chasing a Z06. The tire pressures were still on street setting and I could tell they were going through the roof. The front end was starting to push and I was giving all she's got to catch the Z06 in front of me. I was within passing the car by the last lap and the session ended. I took it to tech and sure enough I was right, 40psi in the tires after I scrubbed them in for Jim.

I have some awesome friends. Jim hands me the keys to his new $100,000 car and sends me out to turn some laps. Thanks, Jimmy.

Next session out I took a 1000hp C6 Z06 that we just finished (post coming soon) out for some video. I was in the intermediate group and passed a few cars. Next in my sights was a blue C6 Z06. I caught him a little (in hindsight he must have slowed a little), but he was just not reeling in like the other cars in the session. I gave it all I could, but still exercising caution because I'm in somebody else's car that costs WELL over $100k. Let me tell you, this car is a handful. 1000hp, no wing (just standard Katech aero), and cup tires. The blue Z06 was in my sights but always a turn ahead. I wasn't gaining. He pulled into the pit lane, I followed, and figured out why. Andy Pilgrim got out of the car. I pulled over to the owner of the 1000hp car to check in and he was timing me. 1:28. My best lap of Autobahn South ever.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 07-20-2015, 12:11 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Sounds like you guys had entirely too much fun...

Old 07-20-2015, 12:17 PM
freeman1215
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Man I'm liking this thread! I'm also a big Andy Pilgrim fan. From meeting him a few times, just think he is a very talented and a great guy!

Which Intake were you running on the otherwise stock Z06/Z07? I'm going to buy one, but sill like the Carbon Fiber unit due to its heat soak detrimental properties!
Old 07-20-2015, 12:30 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by freeman1215
Man I'm liking this thread! I'm also a big Andy Pilgrim fan. From meeting him a few times, just think he is a very talented and a great guy!

Which Intake were you running on the otherwise stock Z06/Z07? I'm going to buy one, but sill like the Carbon Fiber unit due to its heat soak detrimental properties!

Our CKNZ carbon Stinger. Problem is, zero production right now, since we have picked up our molds. We are trying to find another carbon fiber shop that can keep pace with our orders. We had to refund 13 orders due to lack of production.

We have contacted a number of vendors that specialize in carbon fiber parts, but it will not be easy to replace the workmanship of the shop we have used for 9 years.

Jim
Old 07-20-2015, 12:31 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
I did a 1:35 according to the PDR. It was my last lap and I was chasing a Z06. The tire pressures were still on street setting and I could tell they were going through the roof. The front end was starting to push and I was giving all she's got to catch the Z06 in front of me. I was within passing the car by the last lap and the session ended. I took it to tech and sure enough I was right, 40psi in the tires after I scrubbed them in for Jim.

I have some awesome friends. Jim hands me the keys to his new $100,000 car and sends me out to turn some laps. Thanks, Jimmy.

Next session out I took a 1000hp C6 Z06 that we just finished (post coming soon) out for some video. I was in the intermediate group and passed a few cars. Next in my sights was a blue C6 Z06. I caught him a little (in hindsight he must have slowed a little), but he was just not reeling in like the other cars in the session. I gave it all I could, but still exercising caution because I'm in somebody else's car that costs WELL over $100k. Let me tell you, this car is a handful. 1000hp, no wing (just standard Katech aero), and cup tires. The blue Z06 was in my sights but always a turn ahead. I wasn't gaining. He pulled into the pit lane, I followed, and figured out why. Andy Pilgrim got out of the car. I pulled over to the owner of the 1000hp car to check in and he was timing me. 1:28. My best lap of Autobahn South ever.
I have all three PDR videos, but need to figure out how to edit them for Youtube.

Jim
Old 07-20-2015, 12:33 PM
freeman1215
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Our CKNZ carbon Stinger. Problem is, zero production right now, since we have picked up our molds. We are trying to find another carbon fiber shop that can keep pace with our orders. We had to refund 13 orders due to lack of production.

We have contacted a number of vendors that specialize in carbon fiber parts, but it will not be easy to replace the workmanship of the shop we have used for 9 years.

Jim
Thanks Jim. I'm on your site waiting list so will be patient. It's almost three times the prices of your standard unit (and others), but I really do believe that this is a better long term solution. But what do I know!
Old 07-20-2015, 12:41 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
Yeah, good drivers behind the wheel
Exactly!!!! Driving style makes a big difference. Sean was turning 1:33's consistently for both days. I took his C7Z out on Sunday afternoon and had a ball!!! (first time on track driving a C7Z "thanks Sean" ) I guess I am going to have to track mine after all!! LOL! JD

Last edited by JDIllon; 07-20-2015 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:45 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Great event!!!! Jason and Mike did a great job as usual!! Great food, Friends, and lots of track time. No major off's. HOT!! but lots of fun was had by everyone. JD
Old 07-20-2015, 12:47 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Uploading Andy Pilgrim driving the Halltech Systems, 2015 C7 Z07.

Mods: Halltech Carbon Fiber CKNZ (Carbon, Kevlar, Nomex IIIa) cold air induction system with our dry filter.

Horsepower: 608 RWHP.

Manually timed best lap was 1:32.08.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:07 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Andy Pilgrim driving the Halltech Z07. Sorry about the format, had it on the wrong one.

Next will be Katech's Supreme Kick-*** Driver, Jason Harding
Old 07-20-2015, 03:15 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

It was so great seeing everyone and as usual there was more track time and great food than you could possibly consume. I make the 12 hour drive to Autobahn every year for one reason though - the people. I started listing them all but I know I'd forget someone.

At the end of day 2 I ran through an entire tank of gas at the end of the day during open lapping with only a brief black flag where they pulled a stopped car from the track. At that point I was out of gas in the car and in the tank I brought to the track so it was time to pack up.

My best lap was a 1:33.3 (with a passenger in the car) but I was running pretty consistent 1:33 and 1:34s when I was trying. I also had a great student who ended up turning a 1:37 in his M7 Z07.

I'll pull PDR data and video but I didn't have any overheating issues other than the car pulling some power after a lot of lapping in the afternoon. The fluid temps were fine so I think this was more just heat soak causing it to pull timing. My student left his AC on one session and did have issues with the power steering starting to go out after about 20 minutes of hot lapping. That was the only session we ran the AC and the only one we had issues.
Old 07-20-2015, 04:28 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
It was so great seeing everyone and as usual there was more track time and great food than you could possibly consume. I make the 12 hour drive to Autobahn every year for one reason though - the people. I started listing them all but I know I'd forget someone.

At the end of day 2 I ran through an entire tank of gas at the end of the day during open lapping with only a brief black flag where they pulled a stopped car from the track. At that point I was out of gas in the car and in the tank I brought to the track so it was time to pack up.

My best lap was a 1:33.3 (with a passenger in the car) but I was running pretty consistent 1:33 and 1:34s when I was trying. I also had a great student who ended up turning a 1:37 in his M7 Z07.

I'll pull PDR data and video but I didn't have any overheating issues other than the car pulling some power after a lot of lapping in the afternoon. The fluid temps were fine so I think this was more just heat soak causing it to pull timing. My student left his AC on one session and did have issues with the power steering starting to go out after about 20 minutes of hot lapping. That was the only session we ran the AC and the only one we had issues.
Great friends like you make it worthwhile, even if you don't drive. This year, I did not venture on the track, but I will have my ULZ700 there next year set up for the track.

Get notified of new replies

To Katech Track Attack 2015, a huge success in spite of the heat

Old 07-20-2015, 04:43 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by freeman1215
Thanks Jim. I'm on your site waiting list so will be patient. It's almost three times the prices of your standard unit (and others), but I really do believe that this is a better long term solution. But what do I know!
It is, but it costs us 11 times as much to make as the plastic version.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:50 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason

Here is your video:

You might want to compare your lap times with John Heinricy in our ULZ700 two years ago.

Last edited by Halltech; 07-20-2015 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:33 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Here is your video:

Katech Track Attack 2015-Jason Harding in the Halltech Z07 - YouTube

You might want to compare your lap times with John Heinricy in our ULZ700 two years ago.

YouTube
8:49 watch for the bird
Skip to 20:48 for the hottest lap

Quick Reply: Katech Track Attack 2015, a huge success in spite of the heat