C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Z07 tires and rain?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 02:53 PM
Teri9672
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Z07 tires and rain?

Does anyone use their Z07 as a DD? If so, what is your experiences with the tires and rain? I'll be driving 200+ miles this weekend out of town to see family. Should I be worried being caught in the rain on a freeway?

Usually if I know it's going to be raining all day, I leave the car at home. I'd really like my Dad to see my new ride... he's a car guy.

Old 07-21-2015, 04:32 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Teri9672
Does anyone use their Z07 as a DD? If so, what is your experiences with the tires and rain? I'll be driving 200+ miles this weekend out of town to see family. Should I be worried being caught in the rain on a freeway?

Usually if I know it's going to be raining all day, I leave the car at home. I'd really like my Dad to see my new ride... he's a car guy.

All depends on how deep the tread is and how you drive. The tread is there to channel water from under the tire so the rubber can make contact with the road surface. On the highway especially in rain the tires will not get up to their optimum temperature and grip level so don't jump on or off the throttle and you will probably be fine. The throttle is not an on/off switch and needs to be treated gently on wet or dry pavement but especially on wet pavement where grip levels are reduced by water and oil/grease lifted off the pavement that is mixed in with the water.

Stay away from the small puddles that form in the slight dips of the highway, remember easy treatment of the throttle, driving where the road isn't shiny and using other car's tire tracks will usually work.

Also if you can't avoid hitting a puddle with both wheels then hold your speed constant, steer straight and float the car through the puddle. Don't make sudden corrections of the steering or throttle and forget there is a brake pedal. After may winters of driving in snow/ice/slush/puddles of water you learn not to touch the brake since under those conditions it can be your worst enemy. Watch all of the TV videos showing drivers on southern roads sliding off into the ditch and the vast majority have their brakes on and are totally out of control of the vehicle because of the brakes. Keep those wheels turning. Once the wheels hit the water (half inch or more deep) you become a boat and the front wheels are the rudder with the rear wheels being the keel.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 07-21-2015 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:45 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

The only experience I've had with the PSC2 in the rain was at Autobahn this weekend. We had a downpour and there were small puddles all over the track. You should pretty much figure that any standing water is like ice but if the ground is just wet and the tires warm they do ok.

I'll happily buy your Cup2 tires and you can use that money towards a set of Super Sports or Continentals
Old 07-21-2015, 05:21 PM
Teri9672
Advanced

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
The only experience I've had with the PSC2 in the rain was at Autobahn this weekend. We had a downpour and there were small puddles all over the track. You should pretty much figure that any standing water is like ice but if the ground is just wet and the tires warm they do ok.

I'll happily buy your Cup2 tires and you can use that money towards a set of Super Sports or Continentals
I'd love to get rid of them, but Hubby doesn't want to spend more money right now. I've only had the car about 6 weeks... lol

I do however want to keep the same tire size. I know it was a bitch getting tires for my 11 Grand Sport (always on backorder and expensive....)

I'll just keep an eye on the weather and if it suggests rain, I won't drive the Z. Lots of 2 lane winding roads in the country. Rather not risk it.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:36 PM
Busa Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha

That Poor-sha gave my slicks a good home! He will give yours a good home too!!
Old 07-21-2015, 05:52 PM
Teri9672
Advanced

Originally Posted by Busa Dave
That Poor-sha gave my slicks a good home! He will give yours a good home too!!
I'm in Houston... are Yall in Dallas?
Old 07-21-2015, 05:56 PM
Busa Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 107 Posts

I am shipped the tires to Poor-sha...
Old 07-21-2015, 06:28 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Yeah, I'm in Northern VA. I go through these tires like breath mints
Old 07-21-2015, 06:39 PM
apex97
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I have driven them in the rain many times....its very manageable, but be cautious with any standing water...its not going to be much worse than any other fat tire.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:25 PM
Kimonord
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Live in Tallahassee and have 12,500 on pilots, not the cup tires, and standing water in weather mode and all the built in protections are needed above 60. Be careful....hydro planing in this beauty is a helpless feeling
Old 07-21-2015, 09:24 PM
arturox2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by apex97
I have driven them in the rain many times....its very manageable, but be cautious with any standing water...its not going to be much worse than any other fat tire.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:26 PM
arturox2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

I'd love to get rid of them, but Hubby doesn't want to spend more money right now. I've only had the car about 6 weeks... lol

I do however want to keep the same tire size. I know it was a bitch getting tires for my 11 Grand Sport (always on backorder and expensive....)

I'll just keep an eye on the weather and if it suggests rain, I won't drive the Z. Lots of 2 lane winding roads in the country. Rather not risk it.
I've driven in the rain several times with the MPSC2s. Just be cautious and you'll be fine.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:51 PM
Blktxz
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Totaled out a C6Z on cup tires in a quick t storm on an otherwise nice day. Put SS tires on my C7Z at the dealer. Saved cups for track days!
Would not consider cups for daily driving.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:23 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Default Cup tires

Oh God No don't drive your Z07 in the rain. I made that mistake the first weekend that we had our car. It went all over the road and I almost wrecked it. I quickly learned that many others had experienced the same thing. We went to our local cars and coffee. On the way over there a guy wrecked his car on the interstate because he still had his track tires on and thought it would be OK. Not! When we got back home I parked it until I had regular MPSS's on it.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:02 PM
Babaron
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

IF you are careful and skilled, you could navigate thru the standing water. BUT: Why risk it with a car so awesome as this? If you don't have to, don't drive it in the rain.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:18 PM
Madsen
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 42 Posts

My C6Z and I had a very close call doing 55 mph just after a rain storm on what was otherwise a beautiful day. Driving along peacefully and turned sideways in a second. After several seconds of crossing two lanes ( which were empty) and rotating both directions before kissing a guardrail slightly before getting it straight. $700.00 lighter and glad I had done high speed driving instructions.

I had really good tread on my tires.

Use all the computer you have if your in any wet stuff, ore park it.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:35 PM
Blktxz
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't care much experience you have, on a wet road on cup tires you are putting yourself and a great car in a bad situation, sell them to a track guy and buy a set of SS or continentals.

Get notified of new replies

To Z07 tires and rain?

Old 07-23-2015, 09:00 AM
Teri9672
Advanced

no chance of rain...................... Clear weather all weekend. Thanks for the reply's.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:40 AM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

Just did 2000 mile round trip to the Blackhills on sport cup 1s that were 70% gone when I started the trip. Got caught in a thunderstorm on I 90 near Rapid City S.D. Slowed to 55 mph and had no issues. Front left tire was corded when I got home. Just installed new set of Sport Cup 2s and expect them to behave in a similar manner.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:47 AM
RBK
Melting Slicks

Received 889 Likes on 408 Posts

P2's come with a WARNING --- stay out of the rain. Best

Quick Reply: Z07 tires and rain?