C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Splash Guards-Enough Protection or Side Skirts Too?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 11:53 AM
cvwb
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Splash Guards-Enough Protection or Side Skirts Too?

I searched, but still unclear. So my Z06 TPW is 8/24 and I'm thinking ahead about things I have to get installed ASAP after delivery. I know I'll need splash guards for paint protection. Will they do enough to protect the rocker panels from rock chips, or will do I have to get side skirts as well? If so, whose are reasonable and easy to install? Thanks.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:04 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

I believe skirts more important than guards. I have both. I do not Xpel or vinyl wrap. 5k miles and no chips, heard many pebbles/debris rolling through fender wells.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:21 PM
2019 ZR1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 447 Likes on 315 Posts

My TPW is 8/10.. What kind of splash guards are you guys talking about??
Old 08-02-2015, 04:18 PM
Michael A Riley
Burning Brakes

Received 810 Likes on 221 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

I started with the splash guards behind front and rear tires. Wasn't quite enough. Ordered and installed weapon x side skirts and that seems to keep things off the side of the car.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:49 PM
Frnk4tr
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Jaden 61 - can you post some photos of your setup? (by the way my daughter lives in Fair Oaks so we may cross paths some day - I'm getting the LBR exterior color).

My TPW is also 8/24 and I have the same dilemma, I decided to get both splash guards and side skirts. I'm ordering them from GM Parts Direct and will have the dealer install them before I pick up the car.

Andy
Old 08-02-2015, 05:53 PM
cvwb
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Frnk4tr
Hey Jaden 61 - can you post some photos of your setup? (by the way my daughter lives in Fair Oaks so we may cross paths some day - I'm getting the LBR exterior color).

My TPW is also 8/24 and I have the same dilemma, I decided to get both splash guards and side skirts. I'm ordering them from GM Parts Direct and will have the dealer install them before I pick up the car.

Andy
I was also intending to order from GM Parts Direct. I have the part numbers for the splash guards, but can you give me the side skirt part numbers? Thanks.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:29 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

I have the Z07 option and put the GM splash guards on the car. I have about 1800 miles now and no issues. I was at a car show last week with it and one of the attendees mentioned to me that there is an area by the gas door that gets chips.

I looked and looked...I didn't have anything...between the side skirts and the splash guards I feel that I am good. The tires are so sticky that they will pick stuff up. Car just sitting in my garage I always see little pebbles sticking to the tires.....

I do have one small nick in my paint, back on my rear hatch, right on the end of it. About 2-3mm in size.....how that ever happened I never know, but people have mentioned that the rear spoiler will collect tiny pebbles....I haven't seen any as of yet.....but an area to watch.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:43 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,344 Likes on 778 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...de-skirts.html
Old 08-02-2015, 09:45 PM
funz06
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

So far I have no chips with the Apsis splash guards, and no side rockers. I found the GM guards to be useless and had them on for about 3 days while the car sat in the garage until the Apsis guards arrived (not cheap, but I think well worth it----in fact, it was the 1st thing I did with this car and the one prior). Whatever guards you get, they should be wider than the tires, and the GM guards are not. This is my 3rd Z06 type car with the Apsis guards (last one did have the side rocker panels as well, but 1st one didn't), and I have never had chips-----hope I didn't just jinx myself.

I wrapped the sides of my car with painters tape at the dealers for the ride home because I didn't order my Apsis guards soon enough to be installed at the dealership.

And, I also had the Xpel installed-----the Xpel does nothing to prevent the road debris from hitting the car like the guards do, but the Xpel can help minimize any damage from the smaller pebbles, etc.

If I were buying a Z06 right now I would arrange for both the Xpel and Apsis guards to be installed at the dealers before I took the car off the lot.

I just don't happen to like the side rockers-----I think they look great and I think they would also help with the road debris, and could be worth the money if you have it to spend-----however, in my last car I kept getting the back of my shoes and sneakers caught under the rocker when exiting the car. It was just a matter of time before I ripped the darn thing off by mistake-----could see it happening if I was in a hurry when exiting and started to jog (to old to run) or take a real quick step away. I think this was happening because I am 65 and getting out of these cars isn't as easy as 10 years ago, and for whatever reason, I set my feet too close to the car while pulling myself up with the door jamb. As result, I must have always put the back of my feet under the rockers and in a few inches. Then when pulling myself out, or when stepping away, the top part of the back of my sneaker would get caught under the rocker.

Best of luck with your new car---lucky you! Enjoy it!
Old 08-02-2015, 10:13 PM
2015zo7
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Splash Guards(GM splash guards work fine), Side Skirts and clear bra(rocker panel, rear bumper(the side of the bumper) and the bottom of the door at the very least) if you want to stop most of the rock chips.

Last edited by 2015zo7; 08-02-2015 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:10 AM
Just 4 2
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Skirts are #1 install. I bought mine from Katech but think Weapons x are just as good. My car is NRB and i had skirts paintes semi gloss black . They look great and really do the job. also did expel on the front bumper and headlights. I had aspis splash guards on my C6 a little pricey and thought about them for C7, just never felt comfortable with the pricing. I am not sure what the price is now, there was a lot of :i'm not sure how much and the cost of the molds etc" Just had to do something and I am happy with the results, I might look at the splash guard in Carlisle.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:42 AM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Frnk4tr

Andy
I have factory stage 2, added gm splash guards.
Here are some photos that I have taken in the past. also a link to my picture album...https://www.corvetteforum.com/g/album/3683234.
As for Fair Oaks, I am here. If your daughter is a neighbor she may hate me, My car is noisy.
In folder, click on pictures to enlarge. or save and enlarge to get close up details.
Attached Images     

Last edited by jaden61; 08-03-2015 at 12:45 AM.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:13 AM
Bbacon
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cvwb
I searched, but still unclear. So my Z06 TPW is 8/24 and I'm thinking ahead about things I have to get installed ASAP after delivery. I know I'll need splash guards for paint protection. Will they do enough to protect the rocker panels from rock chips, or will do I have to get side skirts as well? If so, whose are reasonable and easy to install? Thanks.
Stock splash guards were useless. Bought ACS rockers for under 1k and wish I would have done it from day one. Now for that windshield protection I should have bought😩
Old 08-03-2015, 09:29 AM
0ACS Composite
Former Vendor

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts

Our rockers do work with the GM splash guards, but also quickly realized they were inadequate protection for rockered cars and the Z06.

Consequently we designed an enhanced front splashguard, it is longer by 15 mm protecting the Zero7 and Z06 Side rockers, and wider with a curvature specifically developed to protect the rear intake brake cooling scoop.

Currently in tooling, these were optimised in Cad and currently CNC'ing our steel tool. These will be manufactured in the same plastic as the OEM's. We still have 3-5 weeks of work before having a first lot, attached is our SLA (3d printed prototype) and digital image

Originally Posted by cvwb

ACS Stingray / Z06 Front Splashguards

ACS Mudflap Stingray, C7
Old 08-03-2015, 09:47 AM
arturox2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by firstgear
I have the Z07 option and put the GM splash guards on the car.

...between the side skirts and the splash guards I feel that I am good. The tires are so sticky that they will pick stuff up. Car just sitting in my garage I always see little pebbles sticking to the tires.....
I had Suntek ppf installed, so between the side skirts, splash guards, and the film, no chips, etc.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:30 AM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by arturox2
I had Suntek ppf installed, so between the side skirts, splash guards, and the film, no chips, etc.
So, is that an overkill or some waste?
Old 08-03-2015, 11:53 AM
arturox2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by jaden61
So, is that an overkill or some waste?
No. I always have my cars wrapped to protect the paint (esp. front of car, backs of sidewiew mirrors). The side skirts and splash guards simply help with the areas that gravel, etc. seems to hit on the car.

Get notified of new replies

To Splash Guards-Enough Protection or Side Skirts Too?

Old 08-03-2015, 08:13 PM
Frnk4tr
Instructor

Thanks Jaden61, appreciate the photos!
Old 08-04-2015, 06:17 PM
Frnk4tr
Instructor

The splash guard part numbers from GM Parts Direct are as posted above by jaden61 and I believe the part number for the sides skirts (the entire kit, both sides and mounting hardware) is 22988306 (but maybe someone can confirm).

Price for splash guards: $54.08 for front, same for rear so total of $108.16
Price for side skirts: $1,206.52

Andy
Old 08-04-2015, 08:07 PM
CWORZY
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with GM splash guards and ACS side skirts and am very satisfied with the results. I did get some minor nicks before I got the side skirts installed which leads me to believe I needed both.

Quick Reply: Splash Guards-Enough Protection or Side Skirts Too?