C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

More power please

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 05:53 PM
Andy_A
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default More power please

I recently purchased my Z06 with the Z07 package. I am very pleased overall but was expecting more from the car in regards to acceleration. I had a built '99 C5 making approximately 663 hp at the rear wheels (centrifugal blower with meth, etc) .
I did not think that I was going to feel the difference but the Z feels lame compared to my C5.
Looking for others to get some ideas.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:18 PM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

The best mods you can do without having your warranty affected in my opinion is a Halltech Intake and a Corsa X-pipe. The intake really wakes the car up since the stock intake is pretty restrictive.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:18 PM
Andy_A
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Headers

I have spoken to my builder (Slowhawk Performance) and he recommends long tube headers, Halltech intake and a tune. Not sure if the headers included an X-pipe but I assume so. I am not sure if all this would be a issue with the warranty.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:21 PM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy_A
I have spoken to my builder (Slowhawk Performance) and he recommends long tube headers, Halltech intake and a tune. Not sure if the headers included an X-pipe but I assume so. I am not sure if all this would be a issue with the warranty.
Well if anything happens to your motor and GM sees it was tuned, they might blame the motor issue on your tune and deny fixing the car. That's the biggest thing to think about if you're considering LTs and a tune.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:39 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

....I did not think that I was going to feel the difference but the Z feels lame compared to my C5....
Yours was a fairly common complaint when C5 owners started getting into a C6.

The newer generation cars are sooooo much more refined and smooth that the great leap in performance isn't felt quite like the driver thinks it should be. This is especially true with the C7 because it is even more refined than the C6.

In your case your C5 was very close in horsepower, and I guess performance, to a ZR1 or C7 Z06, but I'm sure it had a much more "raw" feel to it.

In the C7, the seat-of-the-pants feel just doesn't make it seem like the car can possibly be accelerating as hard as your C5, but it is - it's just so much smoother your SOTP feel is fooling you.

Do some acceleration comparisons and you'll probably find the cars are very similar in performance even though the SOTP sensation isn't telling you that.

Let us know what your comparisons based on timing tells you.

Last edited by BEZ06; 08-02-2015 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:39 PM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06

The newer generation cars are sooooo much more refined and smooth that the great leap in performance isn't felt quite like the driver thinks it should be. This is especially true with the C7 because it is even more refined than the C6.

In your case your C5 was very close in horsepower, and I guess performance, to a ZR1 or C7 Z06, but I'm sure it had a much more "raw" feel to it.

In the C7, the seat-of-the-pants feel just doesn't make it seem like the car can possibly be accelerating as hard as your C5, but it is - it's just so much smoother your SOTP feel is fooling you.

Do some acceleration comparisons and you'll probably find the cars are very similar in performance even though the SOTP sensation isn't telling you that.

I was thinking the same thing , but you've probably considered this possibility.
After break-in, take it to the track.

Did your modded C5 have a significantly different throttle control system with a sharpened throttle response through mods?

Take your C7 and find a long tunnel, roll the windows down and hammer the throttle with the exhaust open. If your Sport Cup 2's are warm and maintain traction, your senses might give you a new opinion of the acceleration.
Just a consideration, and no mod worries to affect warranty.

And, of course, stay within speed limits and keep the car straight (nannies on).
Old 08-02-2015, 09:14 PM
Destrukt
Got Boost?!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18.'19

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...777-lb-ft.html
Old 08-02-2015, 09:15 PM
Destrukt
Got Boost?!
Support Corvetteforum!

Correct! I owned a blown C5Z and it felt "raw". I then had a H/C/I C6Z and while it was pure beast, it did not have that "raw" feeling when accelerating compared to my S/C C5Z due to the smoother ride, even though both were about the same in hp.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:41 PM
rectifyer2000
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

100 Hp @ $17K - ouch.

I've currently got over 600 rwhp and this was my fear too - being disappointed with the feel of torque that is evenly distributed, especially after spending $100K. I don't have the car yet but I'm preparing myself mentally that I will not feel that kick in the pants, especially around 4,000 rpm, like I do now. So between lowering my expectations, combined with future plans to modify (Halltech, headers, and tune), hopefully I won't be too disappointed and I'll know that I'm going to make the car faster with bolt-ons and a tune. Strategy!

Last edited by rectifyer2000; 08-02-2015 at 09:54 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:46 PM
Destrukt
Got Boost?!
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rectifyer2000
100 Hp @ $17K - ouch.
Well...you're mainly paying for the Callaway brand and warranty. You should retain at least half of the $17K when you go to sell. Regardless, you'll have piece of mind if that is an issue. If warranty is not an issue, then I would definitely go a different route.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:49 PM
Destrukt
Got Boost?!
Support Corvetteforum!

If you go H/C/I for about $5K, and your engine takes a dump, no warranty, you're looking @ $25k~ for a crate.... So, while rolling the dice you could potentially end up with a $30k head ache? Plus, don't forget loss in value when going to sell compared to increased value on a Callaway.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:34 PM
schaibaa
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts

No great reasons to do headers on these cars. You might pick up 15 HP for $2k. Just put an intake on it, and if you end up wanting more, then go for a procharger or a different blower.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:57 PM
rectifyer2000
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by schaibaa
No great reasons to do headers on these cars. You might pick up 15 HP for $2k. Just put an intake on it, and if you end up wanting more, then go for a procharger or a different blower.
I think they are getting more than 15 with a tune, especially when paired with CAI. I've seen guys with CAI, exhaust and a tune getting close to 100.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:24 AM
0NORCAL-SS
Former Vendor

Received 328 Likes on 232 Posts

Long tube headers are max 20hp. Check out my ported manifold project. I'd do corsa mid pipe and get it all ceramic coated
Old 08-03-2015, 07:11 AM
JHEBERT
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 220 Posts

I think they are getting more than 15 with a tune, especially when paired with CAI. I've seen guys with CAI, exhaust and a tune getting close to 100.
Do u have any data to support anywhere NEAR 100hp for headers/CAI/tune? A thread here maybe? Sounds like unicorn dust to me
Old 08-03-2015, 07:40 AM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Default Power

I recently purchased my Z06 with the Z07 package. I am very pleased overall but was expecting more from the car in regards to acceleration. I had a built '99 C5 making approximately 663 hp at the rear wheels (centrifugal blower with meth, etc) .
I did not think that I was going to feel the difference but the Z feels lame compared to my C5.
Looking for others to get some ideas.
Which transmission did you get?
Old 08-03-2015, 07:45 AM
schaibaa
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts

Most of it is in the CAI and tune.

Get notified of new replies

To More power please

Old 08-03-2015, 07:51 AM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Not close in horsepower at all!

He said his c5 made 663 rear wheel horsepower thats a hundred more than his c7 z06.His c5 was probably 300 pounds lighter ,add up those differences and you have a huge gap in power to weight ratio.Acceleration runs will not be close at all.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:22 AM
0NORCAL-SS
Former Vendor

Received 328 Likes on 232 Posts

Lmr got 40 with tune at wheels
Halltech does 40 at wheels
Headers 20 max at wheels
Old 08-03-2015, 11:03 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by camirocz
He said his c5 made 663 rear wheel horsepower thats a hundred more than his c7 z06.His c5 was probably 300 pounds lighter ,add up those differences and you have a huge gap in power to weight ratio.Acceleration runs will not be close at all.
Yeah - the rwhp didn't register with me when I responded.

That would make the C5 have way more power - so I don't know why he had any expectation that his C7 Z06 should keep up with it.

Quick Reply: More power please