C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Xpel on AW

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 06:04 PM
bcjones
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Xpel on AW

Pretty excited - got my AW Z delivered today.

Question for the folks with the AW cars and Xpel - are you happy with the Xpel product? Does it take away the purity of the white?

I'm not worried about the install as I've got a very good installer - just wondering how visible or invisible the Xpel is on the arctic white.

Thanks!

Brian
The following users liked this post:
RazorZ06 (12-29-2015)
Old 08-17-2015, 08:51 PM
C7Chris
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can try and snap a picture of xpel on AW but I will need to go buy a better camera. It's nearly invisible and honestly you can't tell it's on there. I had a full front wrap, lower rockers and sills, rear rockers, and mirrors and could not be happier.

Depending on your installer and the condition of your paint from factory you might want to polish it up (or let a professional do it) before you get the XPEL applied.

Make sure you installer cuts the pattern big and wraps as many of the edges as they can.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:00 PM
bcjones
Cruising

Cool - thanks for the reply. I'm anxious to get the front covered and get 500 miles on it. Thanks again.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:02 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,140 Posts

I would recommend going to the xpel website buying and using the cleaning and sealant chemicals they recommend.

Any plastic is susceptible to yellowing when you clean or wax it. The chemicals in the Xpel products should be the best to keep the plastic in the best shape.

As an example getting tar off plastic can be a chore.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:05 PM
Pro

Received 221 Likes on 113 Posts

I have a 2006 White Mustang GT (please spare me the Ford hate). I had a pro install Xpel on the front 18" of hood, fenders, and the entire front bumper when the car was new. A week later, I installed 3M film on the rockers/wheelwells and headlights/foglights (I have some experience in this area and have done fronts before but it takes me too much time). 9 years later, the Xpel is still crystal clear and looks like new. The 3m has noticeably yellowed, and it gets much less sun than the Xpel. I have Xpel on my 2009 suburban that was replaced in 2011 due to some bodywork, that still looks like new.

I had 3M film (2004-2005) on one silver CTSV and Xpel (2010) on another, and no yellowing was visible on the silver color, over a 5 year period of ownership for each car.

I suppose that the formulations have improved, but I am an Xpel fan as a result of my Mustang results.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:12 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 730 Likes on 479 Posts

You should have no issues with Xpel Ultimate on the AW car, and your installer should give you a bottle of the Xpel cleaner/wax for free if they're worth anything.

One thing though: Suntek is supposedly optically clearer than Xpel Ultimate and is 6 mil thick instead of 8 mils. It might be even less noticeable on the AW. Ask your installer about it.

Bish
Old 08-18-2015, 03:56 PM
Apogee2000
Advanced

Originally Posted by thebishman
You should have no issues with Xpel Ultimate on the AW car, and your installer should give you a bottle of the Xpel cleaner/wax for free if they're worth anything.

One thing though: Suntek is supposedly optically clearer than Xpel Ultimate and is 6 mil thick instead of 8 mils. It might be even less noticeable on the AW. Ask your installer about it.

Bish
I have Suntek and am happy with it. However there is a problem I've found on AW. When your installer uses the templates it can leave seams in certain parts of the car and not run all the way to the end of trim pieces (e.g. the flag on the back). On AW I'm seeing dirt get into the seams and I can't get it out...not a huge bother to me since i'm not showing the car and honestly I love the film otherwise, but that's the only drag about AW and using the templates....though I will say while cleaning it today on the sides i found some dirt i couldn't get out with just a spray wax wipe down, so I'll have to figure that out sooner or later.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:41 PM
C7Chris
8th Gear

My car (15' AW C7) has about 2400 miles on the XPEL. Generally I do the two bucket wash and wipe down with detail spray. If the edges of the XPEL are dirty to the point that my wash doesn't take care of it I pull out the XPEL cleaner and a very soft tooth bush, so far no issues and I use liberal amounts of detailer/cleaner. I believe the top layer of XPEL is similar to a clear coat so you can use sealers and waxes. Many other people have reported putting a professional level sealant over the XPEL (Opticoat, CQuartz, etc) and that should help the edges as well.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:32 AM
bcjones
Cruising

Thanks for all the inputs. I think I'm going with a full Xpel wrap - I'll let you know how it goes for those interested.
Thanks again.

Brian
Old 12-29-2015, 11:36 AM
C7AWA8RRR
7th Gear

Just completed the Xpel Ultimate full wrap and ceramic coating on the wheels and love it. Like a lot of folks have mentioned in various posts, a lot depends on the installer. IMO the wrap makes it easier to clean and provides the peace of mind while driving
Old 12-29-2015, 04:44 PM
y2k5c6dsom
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

I had my 2015 Z06 fully wrapped with Xpel Ultimate. As others have said, I had to have some of the film trimmed back as it was catching dirt on the edges. Once I had that done, you can't even tell it is there!! It definitely gives me extra piece of mind when I'm driving and I'm not as nervous as if the paint were completely naked! lol
Attached Images       
Old 12-29-2015, 05:56 PM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by y2k5c6dsom
I had my 2015 Z06 fully wrapped with Xpel Ultimate. As others have said, I had to have some of the film trimmed back as it was catching dirt on the edges. Once I had that done, you can't even tell it is there!! It definitely gives me extra piece of mind when I'm driving and I'm not as nervous as if the paint were completely naked! lol
Agree. I also think it actually makes the white pop better as well.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:56 PM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,100 Likes on 752 Posts

XPEL on my White Diamond Escalade. Can't even tell it's there.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:57 PM
fasthwks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

Had my rockers done and upper rear quarters and you can't see it at all. If you have a great installer and top quality film you will be good. I had him use a couple different templates that are out there to make sure I got the coverage I wanted, my concern was above the rear lower ducts because they take such a beating but I didn't want the whole quarter done.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:50 PM
paratroop
7th Gear

X PEL is the only way to go. I have it on all my vehicles to include an '13 F350 King Ranch (White), my wife's '11 Grand Cherokee (white), '15 F150 (white), my son's '13 Tacoma (white) and my '10 TR GS. In addition, have had it on a number of other vehicles over the years. Only problem I have had was early on w/ my 07 AW vette and had the 3m applied. It yellowed quickly and had it replaced - yellowed again and ultimately moved on to XPEL. My pickups are all high mileage vehicles - absolutely no issues at all. I have had a few redone over the years due to a small tear from a rock, edges peeling slightly due to the installer. There has never been an issue - they stand behind their product. I have been to their main office in SA, TX - truly a gp of professionals. I have a 2016 TR Z with a TPW of 25-29 JAN - I will have the XPEL installed immediately. However, recommend you chk out the installer's work - important.

Last edited by paratroop; 01-01-2016 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:28 AM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,504 Likes on 1,026 Posts

I had it on my 15 Z06 and it looked great for about a month. After that it just started looking dirty. Especially at all the seams. When I got my 16 I have yet to do anything to it. I just haven't decided, but was very unhappy with the film. Just my opinion.

Last edited by Thomasmoto; 01-02-2016 at 12:29 AM.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:42 PM
vdavenp802
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Apogee2000
I have Suntek and am happy with it. However there is a problem I've found on AW. When your installer uses the templates it can leave seams in certain parts of the car and not run all the way to the end of trim pieces (e.g. the flag on the back). On AW I'm seeing dirt get into the seams and I can't get it out...not a huge bother to me since i'm not showing the car and honestly I love the film otherwise, but that's the only drag about AW and using the templates....though I will say while cleaning it today on the sides i found some dirt i couldn't get out with just a spray wax wipe down, so I'll have to figure that out sooner or later.
I have the same issue, and I use the 3M product my installer just cut the edges back just beyond the dirt where the contact is stronger. There are numerous compound curves that make installation very tricky. If you have a good installer that will work with you all issues can be resolved.

Last edited by vdavenp802; 01-03-2016 at 06:44 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Xpel on AW

Old 01-23-2016, 04:36 PM
Bui
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 99 Posts

Does anyone know if it is possible to have the Xpel film cut and applied in a way where there are no visible edges? My biggest pet peeve is seeing the edge on a film because installer is unable to perfectly tuck it away and or when dirt collects along the edges.

Never had Xpel done before; debating between Xpel vs Cquartz for an AW C7.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:10 PM
Dewayne'sZ06
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by y2k5c6dsom
I have been looking at doing Xpel on the front and rockers but hadn't thought about doing the whole car..How much $$ does that Run and does anyone have a suggestion as to who is the best to do this in NC?
Old 01-23-2016, 05:14 PM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 154 Posts

Xpel Ultimate is a great product. IIRC, there is a 10 year warranty against yellowing so I don't think you'll have any trouble with your car's color appearing to change. It's certainly great peace of mind knowing that it's there. Wash your car at home? Use the two bucket method, but don't worry about your paint because if you make a mistake and drag a dirty mitt across your car...Xpel's got your back.

Mike

Quick Reply: Xpel on AW