C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Oil catch can & clean side oil/airseparator tech discussion.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 01:22 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Elite is about to release these all that are interested. Still no more effective air/oil separation available that the CS or Elite E2-X all.
Old 11-17-2016, 04:28 AM
HNK
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by COSPEED2
Elite is about to release these all that are interested. Still no more effective air/oil separation available that the CS or Elite E2-X all.

Great, when will it be released and how to do get it? already have the E2X.

Old 11-20-2016, 02:08 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

Looks like next week!!
Old 12-30-2016, 09:58 AM
HNK
Burning Brakes

Looks like next week!!

nothing as of today,
Old 01-23-2017, 11:55 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

COSPEED2...........Nice to see your honesty efforts about a new way to plug the PCV orifice. Like many others, what stopped me from ordering one of your oil separators was the "glue in" plug (not easily reversed and fear of the glue not setting properly and dislodging the plug.) As MM offered, rather than inventing the wheel again, why not just buy his plug and incorporate it into your kit? Additionally, I like the idea of keeping the flow as GM designed it. Removing the supercharger does not intimidate me (detailed instructions with pictures would be helpful, however.) I'd be interested in seeing a side by side comparison between your plug design and MM's design. At this point, I'm tempted to order your oil separator and MM's plug. I'm just waiting to see the difference between your plug and MM's plug.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:02 AM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer
COSPEED2...........Nice to see your honesty efforts about a new way to plug the PCV orifice. Like many others, what stopped me from ordering one of your oil separators was the "glue in" plug (not easily reversed and fear of the glue not setting properly and dislodging the plug.) As MM offered, rather than inventing the wheel again, why not just buy his plug and incorporate it into your kit? Additionally, I like the idea of keeping the flow as GM designed it. Removing the supercharger does not intimidate me (detailed instructions with pictures would be helpful, however.) I'd be interested in seeing a side by side comparison between your plug design and MM's design. At this point, I'm tempted to order your oil separator and MM's plug. I'm just waiting to see the difference between your plug and MM's plug.
Sent out the first version for test fit and the barb was not at enough of an angle. Machine shop should be done this week if all goes well! Thanks!
Old 02-27-2017, 07:25 PM
mdchaser
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sent out the first version for test fit and the barb was not at enough of an angle. Machine shop should be done this week if all goes well! Thanks!
Let me know when all the dust has settled and everything works. I ordered a 17 Z and need to order a catch can asap!
Old 02-27-2017, 08:23 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Looks to me like using the MM plug and the Elite Can is the way to go. No need to wait. I assume the MM plug is designed so the right flow without further restrictors can enter the can, so between MM and can input there is nothing but hose. David can probably verify the flow is right.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:24 AM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 425 Likes on 243 Posts

The MM is a diverter, does not contain the flow restrictor. If you use the MM instead of the Elite, you will still need the restriction orifice inline in the hose.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:16 AM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 153 Posts

current production for elite/cospeed/rx/mcnally/TLsignature/man behind the curtain uses the supercharger plug that is very poor. People stuck with this can use my plug version as a nice direct, no permanent mod improvement / replacement

I can make the part that 'they' have been trying to make for months now in a few minutes.. but that is not the strategy I use for my own 'ported' version, so would not be a direct replacement.

The c7 and chevy gen5 di engines use a spring/piston type pcv valve, so that is what I use, Not fixed orifice.

Sub Vette interested to hear what you think I could do to improve my catch can to meet your standards, here or via email or pm.
#mmsolutions
Six time NMCA True Street Champions

Home of the first Twin Turbo C7Z 7.81 @ 176
3470# Stock bottom end and heads Corvette Stock Bottom End Record Holder
Old 02-28-2017, 10:43 AM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 153 Posts

See? minutes.. and is removable and adjustable airflow with different orifice inserts. #solutions Who wants one?

Old 02-28-2017, 02:29 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by David@MMS
current production for elite/cospeed/rx/mcnally/TLsignature/man behind the curtain uses the supercharger plug that is very poor. People stuck with this can use my plug version as a nice direct, no permanent mod improvement / replacement

I can make the part that 'they' have been trying to make for months now in a few minutes.. but that is not the strategy I use for my own 'ported' version, so would not be a direct replacement.

The c7 and chevy gen5 di engines use a spring/piston type pcv valve, so that is what I use, Not fixed orifice.

Sub Vette interested to hear what you think I could do to improve my catch can to meet your standards, here or via email or pm.
LOL. Finally. Pays to be a vendor! I guess those jackets stopped giving you points. Haha. :P

Oh I'm gonna be on you LOL. :P

Last edited by COSPEED; 02-28-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:59 AM
HNK
Burning Brakes

How much longer till you get your PCV ready
Old 03-01-2017, 02:08 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

My concern with your can MM is that it vents to the atmosphere and is thus not a closed PCV system, emissions compliant. The other cans like Elite's are emission compliant. That's the only reason I would use your device as an input to another's can. I can't comment on how efficient an oil separator your can is vs. others because I don't know. I have an Elite closed system can on my C6 and it seems to do a pretty good job as a separator and keeping my intake dry.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:13 PM
vettetwo
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by SUB VETTE
The other cans like Elite's are emission compliant.
Have you seen any cans advertised as "emissions compliant"? They certainly are not CARB certified.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:39 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vettetwo
Have you seen any cans advertised as "emissions compliant"? They certainly are not CARB certified.
Quite correct, but that was not implied. I meant that the PCV system in general is designed to be a closed system, not open to the atmosphere, as in pre-emission control days when crankcases simply vented to the atmosphere. The Positive Crankcase Ventilation system recirculates blowby crankcase gases to the combustion chamber for burning in a closed loop to prevent their direct release into the atmosphere. Venting a catch can opens the loop making it non emissions compliant.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:02 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Drifting

I'm sure Dave will chime in, but his system is a closed system. 99.9% of the time, the crankcase vapors are routed back into the intake. As a safety measure, under extreme pressure situations (WFO,) the can vents to the atmosphere. This feature of MMS can is often misunderstoood. Call Dave.
The following users liked this post:
David@MMS (03-02-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Oil catch can & clean side oil/airseparator tech discussion.

Old 03-01-2017, 07:07 PM
Eviltwins344
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Having done a ton of mods to several of my higher end vehicles over the years, I've come across differences in opinions and the tactics involved in the products journey to the end users vehicle. The one object that I least expected to produce the most amount of grief, disappointment, and flat out lack of concern for the buyer was the friggin catch can. After reading the initial posts of this thread and seeing the proof in the form of oil ingestion myself, I optimistically made the move to pick up one of the CS catch can systems. Please understand that I don't post often because along with opinions, everyone has their two cents to throw in and a thread such as this can become very convoluted. I am merely posting because I honestly feel that my experience has some bearing on the choices others can make and avoid a similar experience. I have a string of emails to prove my statements and have no issues with posting them to solidify my statements.

Upon receiving my system I found that the wrong color was shipped, I did not order or pay for black. I didn't get the black braided hoses I ordered and paid for. I attempted to contact the vendor directly (verbally) and was only rebutted when I sent an email eluding to my issues which was supplemented with the statement that they would only communicate via email so that there's a written record of our correspondence, which should have been a red flag indicator of frequent disappointment or at least something not quite right. The vendor instantly agreed to have my unit painted/powder coated and would send the hoses I ordered. What sent me into orbit was when I asked about emailing me some installation instructions or should I just use instructions from a different vendor that was offering a similar product, I was sternly told to use the other vendors instructions. I was beside myself!! It was then that I decided to powder coat the unit myself, get my own hoses, and try to make sense of the marginal instructions from the other vendor. I expressed that I would be accepting responsibility for any issues that I encountered as a result of my hoses and power coating as having experienced the lack of competency in regards to my order, and my simple need for install instructions. I had doubts that my needs would be addressed in any realm of what could be considered of what's best for me. Then I encountered the mindless idea of the supercharger plug "glued" into place with gasket maker. After waiting two days for the gasket maker to set up, the push in plug was easily pulled right out. Pathetic and not a worthy practice for a car of this caliber. My fears were confirmed when I read the post about the plug getting sucked into the supercharger rotors on a remote tuning session on a dyno.

I called MM disheartened and frustrated and imagine that....a phone call in return. This man spent an hour on the phone with me and explained not only the install of his PCV plug, but the science behind the entire PVC system and the need to properly plumb the system for effectiveness. He sent his very well engineered full PCV replacement. It was sent that same day and I had the proper part in two days, with full instructions! Install was a breeze and was true to the documents and the conversation. Hind sight, I should have sent the initial system back and gone with the full solution offered my MM but I already had the can apart and at the powder coater. I am truly sorry that I had to experience this from what appears to be a trustworthy vendor, but without this experience, I would have never had the pleasure of making contact with the vendor that won my trust, merely by unselfishly helping me. I will be using the selfless vendor from here on out for my performance needs as trust is something I just can't put a price on!
The following 3 users liked this post by Eviltwins344:
BKorsaire (08-13-2017), Dabigsnake (03-06-2017), David@MMS (03-02-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 07:08 PM
Eviltwins344
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer
I'm sure Dave will chime in, but his system is a closed system. 99.9% of the time, the crankcase vapors are routed back into the intake. As a safety measure, under extreme pressure situations (WFO,) the can vents to the atmosphere. This feature of MMS can is often misunderstoood. Call Dave.
I wish I had!!!! Well stated.
David@MMS (03-02-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 07:15 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Drifting

Eviltwins344.........WOW! That's one heck of an experience. My interactions with Dave are identical to yours. Thanks for posting.
David@MMS (03-02-2017)

Quick Reply: Oil catch can & clean side oil/airseparator tech discussion.