C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Oil catch can & clean side oil/airseparator tech discussion.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 04:18 PM
vettetwo
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 92 Posts

Can you provide a copy or a link to the test results? A summary is nice, but allowing everyone to read it themselves is much more conclusive.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:04 PM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 153 Posts

http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/c...atch%20Can.pdf

Anyone looking for relevant info on 'elite' brand catch can c7z install above is a live link from their domain where they use screen captures and instruction direct off my video (post #174) of my system install as well a copy of my pcv adapter part itself for their install doc. You cannot make this stuff up.

An install vid I did:

There are leaders and there are followers; See for yourself (unrelated to colorado speed, they should maybe carry my stuff however instead).

Is Mightymouse Solutions the superior set up? Well at least I develop my own parts and my own instructions.. The rest is up to you to decide!

My facebook link:
Facebook Post
#mmsolutions
Six time NMCA True Street Champions

Home of the first Twin Turbo C7Z 7.81 @ 176
3470# Stock bottom end and heads Corvette Stock Bottom End Record Holder

Last edited by David@MMS; 06-12-2017 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:09 AM
Bad Dad
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by David@MMS
http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/c...atch%20Can.pdf

Anyone looking for relevant info on 'elite' brand catch can c7z install above is a live link from their domain where they use screen captures and instruction direct off my video (post #174) of my system install as well a copy of my pcv adapter part itself for their install doc. You cannot make this stuff up.

An install vid I did:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx4TFXh5E8c

There are leaders and there are followers; See for yourself (unrelated to colorado speed, they should maybe carry my stuff however instead).

Is Mightymouse Solutions the superior set up? Well at least I develop my own parts and my own instructions.. The rest is up to you to decide!

My facebook link:
https://www.facebook.com/mightymouse...90504834469103
MMS CAN HERE
Old 06-13-2017, 07:41 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by COSPEED2

Here is a brief summary of what was documented in the 2 year testing by one of the Worlds largest Lubrication companies:

The XXX system was tested on the most severe engine on the road toady as far as GDI related issues.
Well, which system was it? Are we to presume that it was yours?

Originally Posted by COSPEED2
(GDI engines introduce fuel at well over 2,000 PSI and this pushes many times the amount past the rings of old port injection systems
That claim sounds highly suspect.

And you keep using the word "contaminates" for substances which you desire to remove from the oil. The correct word is contaminants.

"Contaminates" is a verb, not a description of a substance.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:54 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Bad Dad
MMS CAN HERE
Your dishonesty in using half of our system in your test goes right along with the rest of your misleading claims. Ethics, or the lack thereof seem standard play.

You acknowledged the credit we gave you on the PCV adapter months ago...and it is not a copy, there is only one way to make it and fit. We took a stock PCV insert and designed our version around it. Always have to **** away from the real subjects....never can enter into a civil discussion, just this low road type of comebacks. Easy to do the test as long as it is someone unbiased toward either company.

Warp Factor, spell check only gives that spelling as a choice. If these is ANY question, take the challenge publicly and see for yourself. We have on several and know the outcome, but an independent person conducting it holds much more water than us making the claims. And we play no games like David did in his video example.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:51 PM
BKorsaire
Melting Slicks

Location: Chartres, with a cathedral of XII Century in the middle of the wheat fields FRANCE, la Belle et ses Iles
Received 1,276 Likes on 794 Posts

Hi David @ MMS,
Email sent saturday + pm , hope your advices to choose the good combo and kit builder

Thanks

Originally Posted by David@MMS
I can build the system to work any way you want, there are about 27 configuration options.

I think here is an example of what you want if you want to never vent fumes, but still catch the oil, still control crankcase pressure.

This is not my standard but a $1 option at order time if you would rather route the fumes to the cold air box vs. vent to the engine bay.
Here it is in an extreme pressure test.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA7ScnQxSbg&t=16s
The following users liked this post:
David@MMS (08-14-2017)
Old 08-13-2017, 06:07 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by COSPEED
Other benefits documented: Average fuel economy increases of 1-3 MPG due to a cleaner burn with the contaminates removed from the PCV vapors as more energy is released with just air and fuel present during the combustion process.
Things that make you go... hmmm.

I'm pretty sure if all these benefits added up to 1-3 MPG increase GM (and other manufacturers) would do it in a heartbeat. Do you have any idea how important maintaining (and improving) CAFE averages is to them? If you could show up in a GM boardroom offering a 3MPG improvement, you'd leave a rich man.

I just don't see it, myself. The PCV vapors are ostensibly flammable and worst case inert. That they would take up space in the cylinder and somehow contribute to such a significant drop in efficiency... I just have trouble believing that.

Pretty sure I could solve the self-draining problem in a couple of weeks given the "millions of dollars" it's claimed that OEMs are pumping into this "problem". Route it back to the fuel tank for later consumption, dump it through the cats, sequester it for the next oil change, whatever. It's not rocket science, especially not for an OEM like GM, Ford, etc.

Last edited by davepl; 08-13-2017 at 06:10 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by davepl:
Dabigsnake (08-21-2017), vettetwo (10-02-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 04:53 AM
Ahrmike
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by COSPEED
Should be no warranty issues as you are covered under the Magnasun/Moss act as long as you are not defeatging, deleting, or rendering the PCV system less effective than it comes stock, (such as a breathered or vented system would).

The ColoradoSpeed Elite systems all retain emissions compliance (no CARB cert for CA yet) and closed systems, and all improve the function of the OEM PCV system significantly. That is no guarantee that you won't have an "un informed or uneducated" service writer/manager who does not understand these issues, or a dealer that is just "mod unfriendly".

More dealers are becoming aware of these systems and selling and installing them.

Let us know if we can be of more assistance.

For ANY dry sump install (C6 or C7) of the CSS (Clean Side Separator) the CSS replaces the oil fill cap located on the dry sump oil tank. You then unclip the stock cleanside hard plastic line from the front most barb on the oil tank and clip it to the CSS:

And then do NOT cap the front most barb. Run a hose from it to a "T" you install into the hard plastic line that runs to the front of the passenger side valve cover.

As a rule, the Z51 really needs the CSS in all applications. The LT4 it is needed if your going to drive "aggressive" (wide open throttle, road race, drag race, or any HPDE). If you are like some that will never "open it up" and just use the car as a driver, then you can save the $ and not choose the CSS.

Also note, ONLY the LT4 needs the flow restrictor. All others this is located inside the factory PCV barb assy already.
Why does the forward sump tank barb need to be tied to a tee from the valve covers? As i understand it, the valve covers tie directly to the back barbs anyway and there are no restrictions in the sump tank between the front and rear barbs..?
Old 10-04-2017, 08:02 PM
Ahrmike
Burning Brakes

bump for feedback...
Old 11-16-2019, 11:43 AM
Ahrmike
Burning Brakes

no answer?
Old 11-17-2019, 03:30 PM
Cman01
Melting Slicks

Received 460 Likes on 311 Posts

I read some of this but no interest in going through all 10+ pages of replies.

Basically I just bought a new 19 ZR1, which is the proper can to use to ensure I don't fowl up my SC with oil deposits?

I ran oil catch cans on my 13 GT500 that I sold before getting the ZR1, I kept the catch cans (made by JLT for both the clean and dirty side) so my question: any reason why I can't utilize the cans from the Shelby to my ZR1?

Tony

Last edited by Cman01; 11-17-2019 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 03:40 PM
vettetwo
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Cman01
I read some of this but no interest in going through all 10+ pages of replies.

Basically I just bought a new 19 ZR1, which is the proper can to use to ensure I don't fowl up my SC with oil deposits?

I ran oil catch cans on my 13 GT500 that I sold before getting the ZR1, I kept the catch cans (made by JLT for both the clean and dirty side) so my question: any reason why I can't utilize the cans from the Shelby to my ZR1?

Tony
You just bought a ZR1 for $100,000 and want to reuse your old catch can to save a couple hundred? If you want the leader in the solution for supercharged Corvettes, look at MightyMouse Solutions. You can contact David@MMS for the correct setup for your new car and the way you want to use it.

Last edited by vettetwo; 11-17-2019 at 03:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MIGHTYM0USE (11-17-2019)
Old 11-17-2019, 04:03 PM
Cman01
Melting Slicks

I wish I only paid a $100k for a new ZR1, doesn't mean I like throwing money away if I have to get the $4-500 catch cans I will but since I have 2 from my Shelby already that I can use or sell why not use them if I can on my ZR?

Until I get an answer why I shouldn't, basically right now to me it's a can with some hoses that collects oil vapors. My C6 Z06 which I still have also has a catch can, an EE one and it was only $100 and change when I bought it for that car.

Jesus, getting tired of hearing "u just spent $XXX,XXX on a ZR1" so u can throw out stupid money to buy whatever. No, I spend the money when it's necessary and justified. I want the info and research to back up why I should spend $500 on a catch can when I already have something available to me that I can use on my car if it can do the same job.

Last edited by Cman01; 11-17-2019 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:16 PM
MIGHTYM0USE
Melting Slicks

Received 116 Likes on 72 Posts

Our complete systems start at 331 and are lifetime satisfaction guarantee https://www.mightymousesolutions.com...ge/c7-z06-mild
Probablyprobably can get a buck or so out of your used unit

Originally Posted by Cman01
I wish I only paid a $100k for a new ZR1, doesn't mean I like throwing money away if I have to get the $4-500 catch cans I will but since I have 2 from my Shelby already that I can use or sell why not use them if I can on my ZR?

Until I get an answer why I shouldn't, basically right now to me it's a can with some hoses that collects oil vapors. My C6 Z06 which I still have also has a catch can, an EE one and it was only $100 and change when I bought it for that car.

Jesus, getting tired of hearing "u just spent $XXX,XXX on a ZR1" so u can throw out stupid money to buy whatever. No, I spend the money when it's necessary and justified. I want the info and research to back up why I should spend $500 on a catch can when I already have something available to me that I can use.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:30 PM
Cman01
Melting Slicks

^^^I will send u a PM later today and u can get back to me anytime during the week.

I am in Canada, the US$331 starting price you mention = CAN$440+ for me so...…………….$400-500 catch can...…………..why I would like to use my Shelby catch cans if I can.

Last edited by Cman01; 11-20-2019 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-18-2019, 04:11 PM
Ahrmike
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ahrmike
Why does the forward sump tank barb need to be tied to a tee from the valve covers? As i understand it, the valve covers tie directly to the back barbs anyway and there are no restrictions in the sump tank between the front and rear barbs..?
still wondering...
Old 11-18-2019, 05:12 PM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 153 Posts

I almost always ask that this side of the system be left to oem spec for my setups, but that is not this one in topic.

My personal c7z makes around 1300hp and has no 'clean side separator' on it.

It helps to make sure your air filter is the right size for the power level, and that it is not clogged or collapsed.

Last edited by David@MMS; 11-19-2019 at 04:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil catch can & clean side oil/airseparator tech discussion.