C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Vengeance Racing receives Magnuson 2.3L Supercharger for C7 Z06 Testing- Pic Heavy

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 11:00 AM
0Ron@Vengeance Racing
Former Vendor

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Vengeance Racing receives Magnuson 2.3L Supercharger for C7 Z06 Testing- Pic Heavy

Yesterday was a very exciting day for all of us at Vengeance Racing. Our long awaited Magnuson 2.3L Supercharger arrived VIA "the big brown truck". Having maxxed out the factory 1.7L supercharger making right at 783RWHP/812RWTQ we have been anxiously awaiting the Magnuson kit to see how much further we can push our C7Z.

We will be performing very detailed testing of our current combination before installing the new 2.3L unit. This will include several half mile pulls logging ambient Vs IAT Vs IAT2 temps/Dyno Testing and more. Once we have current data with our OE 1.7L blower we will install the Magnuson unit and repeat the tests for a true back to back comparison. Our HOPE is to achieve an additional 80-100HP while seeing lower IAT2s across the board with a quicker recovery. I will update this thread as we make progress and do my best to keep everyone fully informed. Rest assured we will provide ACCURATE data, whether the results are positive or negative.

Initial impression is the system is extremely well built. Intercooler bricks are significantly larger than OE and do not block airflow to the front/rear cylinders nearly as much as the OE units do. Obviously the rotor pack is substantially larger as is the entry/exit of the blower.

Here is the kit straight out of the boxes. The first box contains the supercharger itself and the second box contains all of the supporting hardware as well as a complete instruction manual.

I apologize for my delay in getting this information posted. As I mentioned earlier in this thread our C7Z broke the differential the week before we were slated to test this Magnuson 2300. Fortunately we had another client eager to offer his C7Z for testing. The test bed was a 2015 C7 Z06 M7 fitted with our Stage IV Performance Package.

Our Stage IV Package includes:

* Vengeance Racing CNC LT4 Cylinder Head Upgrade (Requires OEM Heads as Core)
* VR Ported Supercharger Snout/Inlet
* Vengeance Racing Cam Kit Plus for Gen V (Retains VVT/Deletes DOD) - Billet core camshaft w/ 33% fuel lobe upgrade, fuel pump lash cap, VR dual valve spring kit w/ Ti retainers, VR hardened pushrods, C5R timing chain, Comp high-performance lifters, GM lifter trays, Comp phaser limiter, VR trunion upgrade, GM MLS LT4 head gaskets, ARP head bolt kit, GM VVT cam bolt, and GM Crank bolt
* Your Choice of Air Induction - AFE or Halltech Stinger R
* Vengeance Racing Upper 2.38 Supercharger Pulley Kit w/ 10-bolt Hub
* Innovators West 10% Overdrive Damper
* Appropriate 8-Rib HD Serpentine Belt
* American Racing 1 7/8" or 2" Stainless Header System w/ Catted or Non-Catted X-pipe
* GM LT4 Exhaust Manifold Gaskets
* Vengeance Racing High-Temp Spark Plug Wire Insulators
* Vengeance Racing 160* Thermostat for Gen V
* Dexcool Coolant/Redline Water Wetter
* Royal Purple HPS 10w40 Oil
* AC Delco Oil Filter
* Complete Professional Installation
* Custom ECU Calibration offered by VENGEANCE PCM, LLC. Price includes 12 months of free updates on existing combination (excludes dyno time)
* Before/After Dyno Results
* Vengeance Racing Limited Warranty

In addition to the modifications listed above this Z06 also had an Alky Control Methanol system and VR Flex Fuel Kit installed.

With our Stage IV Package (Stage I Camshaft) this Z06 produced 737RWHP/742RWTQ. Boost was 13.6psi peak and trailed to 12psi in the upper RPMs. With no other changes to the vehicle we removed the 1.7L OEM unit and installed the Magnuson 2.3L system. Power jumped to 826RWHP/753RWTQ. Boost was 15psi peak and MAINTAINED 15psi thru the entire RPM range. I am aware the additional boost is partially responsible for the increase in horsepower, but the point is the stock blower could not maintain the same boost level thru the RPM range.

IAT2s are obviously another major topic of concern with the C7Z. I am well aware that having a methanol system on the vehicle will have an effect on IAT2s, BUT we did see a considerable difference between the supercharger systems with regard to such. With the 1.7L OE unit in place and THREE back to back runs on the chassis dyno IAT2s would start off at 104* and drop to 100* at the top of the run. This was within 1* on each of the three pulls. Again boost was 13.6 psi initially while trailing to 12psi at 6800RPM. With the Magnuson 2300 we saw 87* on the hit while dropping to 84* at 6800RPM. This was at 15psi initially and maintaining 15psi thru the entire run. I realize the temps would be slightly higher without methanol, BUT the Magnuson did show a reduction in temperature Vs the OE unit.

Fitment was excellent. Install was straight forward. The only issue was drilling/tapping the cylinder heads for the LT1 intake bolt pattern. This did not prove to be challenging at all and could be done in your garage. With the blower installed the engine bay maintained a very clean and OE fit/finish. I have to say we are very impressed with the Magnuson unit and feel it will benefit a lot of combinations moving forward.

Feel free to email me at Ron@VengeanceRacing.net or post in this thread with any questions/concerns you might have. We are happy to help.

Last edited by Ron@Vengeance Racing; 10-22-2015 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:11 AM
NYROBZ06
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I want one!!! Please put me on your list!!
Old 09-02-2015, 11:17 AM
hairymeister
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I am interested to see what happens. Going back and forth on the Callaway set up.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:22 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

1. Why did you choose the Magnuson 2.3L instead of the Eaton that goes on the ZR1? I would have thought the 2.3L Eaton would be a direct bolt on?

2. Which one is Edelbrock selling for the C7Z?
Old 09-02-2015, 11:45 AM
JMB
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 254 Posts

Very cool! Same size TB Ron?
Old 09-02-2015, 11:51 AM
Rguy271
Pro

Received 106 Likes on 76 Posts

Whats MSRP?
Old 09-02-2015, 11:54 AM
0Daniel@Vengeance
Former Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhek
1. Why did you choose the Magnuson 2.3L instead of the Eaton that goes on the ZR1? I would have thought the 2.3L Eaton would be a direct bolt on?

2. Which one is Edelbrock selling for the C7Z?
The 2.3L from the ZR1 is actually very different and does not swap over on the Gen V platform.

Edelbrock has only released a C7 version of their E-Force blower, but nothing as of yet for the Z06.

Originally Posted by JMB
Very cool! Same size TB Ron?
We are using the stock throttle body for now, but should be seeing our first 102mm throttle body in the next two weeks!
Old 09-02-2015, 11:58 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Since the OEM SC has a vent from the crankcase up into the SC with a PCV that can be seen thru the boost bypass valve, does the Magnuson have one also. I see the boost bypass valve is in a different location.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:46 PM
2019 ZR1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 447 Likes on 315 Posts

How does this compare to ProCharger??? I'm just kind of waiting to see some results before I make any decisions.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:52 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Very cool.

Looks like a much better unit than the stock one.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:11 PM
Destrukt
Got Boost?!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18.'19

Ron or David, is this a direct swap and is it pretty easy to DIY? I am wondering how much labor time it would take to swap these out. Thanks
Old 09-02-2015, 02:21 PM
KustomsbyKev
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 38 Posts

Will this fit under the stock hood?
Old 09-02-2015, 02:23 PM
NYROBZ06
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by c6bound
Yes it does..
Old 09-02-2015, 02:41 PM
VT_Z06
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Will you guys being doing some tuning and power measurements with JUST the SC swap, or only the *****-out version on a FBO and maxed out car?
Old 09-02-2015, 03:10 PM
0NORCAL-SS
Former Vendor

Received 328 Likes on 232 Posts

Please give dyno numbers.... not some " sae numbers" lol
Old 09-02-2015, 03:16 PM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 421 Likes on 240 Posts

Very nice piece of kit. Look forward to the continuation of this thread. Hopefully install pics and some results.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:28 PM
Kerviper
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by David@Vengeance
The 2.3L from the ZR1 is actually very different and does not swap over on the Gen V platform.

Edelbrock has only released a C7 version of their E-Force blower, but nothing as of yet for the Z06.

We are using the stock throttle body for now, but should be seeing our first 102mm throttle body in the next two weeks!
Will you being testing it and releasing numbers of this compared to stock (ie just the supercharger swap), this would help guys like me interested in Procharger being able to compare a little easier since they make their claims with no extras (ie headers, pulley, cam, etc)

Get notified of new replies

To Vengeance Racing receives Magnuson 2.3L Supercharger for C7 Z06 Testing- Pic Heavy

Old 09-02-2015, 04:22 PM
0Daniel@Vengeance
Former Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by 2016 Z06
How does this compare to ProCharger??? I'm just kind of waiting to see some results before I make any decisions.
It is difficult to compare the two as they are designed very differently and bring on power in very different ways. Our goal is to build on the platform GM provided us with on the Z06 rather than pulling everything off and going centrifugal. We have been doing ECS/A&A/Procharger C7 combinations with centrifugals since the C7 was first released, so we already are comfortable with a combination like that.

Originally Posted by Destrukt
Ron or David, is this a direct swap and is it pretty easy to DIY? I am wondering how much labor time it would take to swap these out. Thanks
We are not sure as of yet since we just received the kit yesterday. I am not sure that we will have time with the upcoming holiday to swap superchargers prior to the upcoming GA 1/2 mile event, but it will certainly be on for testing shortly after.

Originally Posted by c6bound
Yes sir it will.

Originally Posted by VT_Z06
Will you guys being doing some tuning and power measurements with JUST the SC swap, or only the *****-out version on a FBO and maxed out car?
We will as soon as our first customer is ready to move forward with it. We have several waiting at the moment for us to show results on our shop car (which has headers/lower pulley/meth/flex fuel/camshaft) before pulling the trigger on the swap on their stock cars.

Originally Posted by NORCALSS
Please give dyno numbers.... not some " sae numbers" lol
You know we will Tony

Originally Posted by Kerviper
Will you being testing it and releasing numbers of this compared to stock (ie just the supercharger swap), this would help guys like me interested in Procharger being able to compare a little easier since they make their claims with no extras (ie headers, pulley, cam, etc)
See above. We certainly want to test this, but our personal R&D vehicle is already equipped with several modifications, so we will be doing initial back-to-back testing with it without changing any other modifications in between. It should show the difference in the performance of the two superchargers quite well from these tests.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:07 PM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

Nice! Sub'd for updates. I think besides Magnuson sending you the blower themselves, I think I may have suggested to you guys that you should go with a Magnuson or Edelbrock instead of turbos or a centrifugal blower (feel free to correct me if I didn't).
Old 09-02-2015, 06:21 PM
Z06BHM
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by David@Vengeance
It is difficult to compare the two as they are designed very differently and bring on power in very different ways. Our goal is to build on the platform GM provided us with on the Z06 rather than pulling everything off and going centrifugal. We have been doing ECS/A&A/Procharger C7 combinations with centrifugals since the C7 was first released, so we already are comfortable with a combination like that.

We are not sure as of yet since we just received the kit yesterday. I am not sure that we will have time with the upcoming holiday to swap superchargers prior to the upcoming GA 1/2 mile event, but it will certainly be on for testing shortly after.

Yes sir it will.

We will as soon as our first customer is ready to move forward with it. We have several waiting at the moment for us to show results on our shop car (which has headers/lower pulley/meth/flex fuel/camshaft) before pulling the trigger on the swap on their stock cars.

You know we will Tony

See above. We certainly want to test this, but our personal R&D vehicle is already equipped with several modifications, so we will be doing initial back-to-back testing with it without changing any other modifications in between. It should show the difference in the performance of the two superchargers quite well from these tests.

Quick Reply: Vengeance Racing receives Magnuson 2.3L Supercharger for C7 Z06 Testing- Pic Heavy