C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Looking at purchasing Z06

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 06:49 PM
dhore417
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Looking at purchasing Z06

Hello everyone,
My name is David and I'm 19 years old. I go on forums for my dad to help him out with his cars, I'm a huge car kid and have been that way my whole life. My dad currently owns a 2009 GT-R that he is sending to AMS Performance this winter for either their Ronin or Alpha 10x package.

He is really wanting a convertible to add to his garage. His current leader is the Z06 Convertible. I have looked at this forum a lot and know you guys can give us some good insight on the following questions:

1. Did your dealer let you test drive the car before you bought it? Our dealer told us that even if he puts the deposit down on an order, they probably will not let us test drive one even if they have one. Is this normal and did any of you have the same issue. My dad said he would prefer not to spend $110k + on a car without driving it first if he doesn't have to

2. If anyone has had both a GT-R and has/had a Z06, how is the clearance on the Z06 vs. the GT-R. Our driveway is steep and we have to pull in at an angle to not scrape in the GT-R. Will we have a problem with the Corvette or will it be around the same?

3. Are their any must have options? He is looking at doing the 2LZ Convertible with the Z07 Package with exposed carbon fiber. Is there enough of a reason to upgrade to the 3LZ for the extra money?

4. Any other reasons why he should buy this car? It is at the top of his list and I have read so many good things about it but what in particular caused you to buy it?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing all the responses!

Thanks guys!
Old 10-01-2015, 07:55 PM
Jwood02
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If he is using it on the street the car is awesome.

If he is going to track it for more than parade laps then I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:23 PM
Blvdbrawler
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwood02

If he is going to track it for more than parade laps then I wouldn't recommend it.
Contrary to what was just said I track, drag and drive my car extremely hard and has been absolutely amazing! There are some folks who have had some issues with their cars but it's just a handful just like any other car. Good luck!
Old 10-01-2015, 08:26 PM
schaibaa
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Jwood02

Stupid post. Dozens of us, perhaps even hundreds are laying down great lap times without any problems at all.

Some people are having problems but stop with the hyperbole. Have you overheated your Z06?

Last edited by schaibaa; 10-01-2015 at 08:34 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by schaibaa:
KustomsbyKev (10-02-2015), Lavender (10-02-2015), tail_lights (10-02-2015)
Old 10-01-2015, 08:47 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by schaibaa
Stupid post. Dozens of us, perhaps even hundreds are laying down great lap times without any problems at all.

Some people are having problems but stop with the hyperbole. Have you overheated your Z06?
Unfortunately, the problem is that the test cars given to auto mags are the ones experiencing the problems. Has there ever been a confirmed % of the Z06s that this has actually happened to? I know three C7 Z06 owners who, although primarily street driven, have tracked their cars with no issues.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:58 PM
schaibaa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Unfortunately, the problem is that the test cars given to auto mags are the ones experiencing the problems. Has there ever been a confirmed % of the Z06s that this has actually happened to? I know three C7 Z06 owners who, although primarily street driven, have tracked their cars with no issues.
For what it's worth, the most recent issue was not from overheating and the car was run off the track earlier in the test.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:03 PM
Jwood02
Intermediate

Yes, 302degree oil temp two weeks ago at the track. Can't run 5 hot laps.

I can run one great lap time but then need to cool off for two laps before going full blast again.

I can run at 6/10ths and put down decent lap times but I bought the car to run 8 or 9/10ths for more than one lap.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:06 PM
schaibaa
Burning Brakes

302 is not over threshold. Have you posted PDR video and track prep?
Old 10-01-2015, 09:08 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

For what it's worth, the most recent issue was not from overheating and the car was run off the track earlier in the test.
What was the issue? I thought it was heatsoak which caused the lack of power.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:08 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

this place is filled with comedy
Old 10-01-2015, 09:27 PM
Jwood02
Intermediate

302 is not over threshold. Have you posted PDR video and track prep?
I set her up as instructed by Chevy. 15/50oil, etc

Not sure about you but 300 degree oil temps are not acceptable. I don't want to blow her up. I hit 300, I back off.

Going to Gingerman tomorrow. Ambient temps will be around 60 with 60% humidity. I will post PDR video when I get home.

If she hits 300degree oil tomorrow in under 10 laps this cooling is not fit for the track. My 2013 ZL1 never got close to 265 oil while running in 95degree heat.

I'll report back.....
Old 10-01-2015, 09:41 PM
97Black
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Lets try to get back to the original post and answer some of his questions.
The following 3 users liked this post by 97Black:
dhore417 (10-10-2015), everjeff (10-01-2015), Movie Muscle (10-04-2015)
Old 10-02-2015, 09:53 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,100 Likes on 752 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
this place is filled with comedy
It just never stops.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:10 AM
94Lt1Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 763 Likes on 357 Posts

Z07 seems to be a bit of a waste with a convertible, no?
Old 10-02-2015, 10:17 AM
Busa Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by 94Lt1Vette
Z07 seems to be a bit of a waste with a convertible, no?

I agree 100%.. Saw one on the road just like mine black except the top down and it looked very odd to me actually laughed a little. Very out of place on that car -- Z07..
Old 10-02-2015, 10:30 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by MSG C5
What was the issue? I thought it was heatsoak which caused the lack of power.
The car that MT tested, and royally failed, was the same car that C&D apparently crashed or had a damaging off-track excursion with during the LL testing a few weeks or a month earlier. GM repaired the car, then sent it to MT. This was confirmed by an MT associate editor on Twitter.
Somebody else has commented that the intercooler pump harness was unplugged, but not sure that's a reliable claim.

Of all the supremely stupid things GM could have done, I can't think of one better than sending a wrecked, then repaired car to compete in BDC.
S.
Attached Images  
Old 10-02-2015, 10:59 AM
emericr
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll try to answer your questions even though I do not own a Z06 yet.
Originally Posted by dhore417
Hello everyone,
My name is David and I'm 19 years old. I go on forums for my dad to help him out with his cars, I'm a huge car kid and have been that way my whole life. My dad currently owns a 2009 GT-R that he is sending to AMS Performance this winter for either their Ronin or Alpha 10x package. Emeric: Your dad is cool

He is really wanting a convertible to add to his garage. His current leader is the Z06 Convertible. I have looked at this forum a lot and know you guys can give us some good insight on the following questions:

1. Did your dealer let you test drive the car before you bought it? Our dealer told us that even if he puts the deposit down on an order, they probably will not let us test drive one even if they have one. Is this normal and did any of you have the same issue. My dad said he would prefer not to spend $110k + on a car without driving it first if he doesn't have to Emeric: my local dealers will not let you drive them either. Find people on this forum that have one and go meet with them (I did) or got car rallies and you will find someone.

2. If anyone has had both a GT-R and has/had a Z06, how is the clearance on the Z06 vs. the GT-R. Our driveway is steep and we have to pull in at an angle to not scrape in the GT-R. Will we have a problem with the Corvette or will it be around the same? Emeric: I will assume you will have the same problem with the vette.

3. Are their any must have options? He is looking at doing the 2LZ Convertible with the Z07 Package with exposed carbon fiber. Is there enough of a reason to upgrade to the 3LZ for the extra money? Emeric: If you are going for a 2LZ, then why not the 3LZ, it's not that much more money but the better interior is well worth the extra $$. No brainer IMHO. Save yourself $$ on the Z07 package unless he tracks the car heavily. Buy the aftermarket cf pieces and that will pay for the 3LZ difference.

4. Any other reasons why he should buy this car? It is at the top of his list and I have read so many good things about it but what in particular caused you to buy it? Emeric: It's American, it's got a large V8 and looks killer. I am on the fence myself with the overheating issues but if your dad is sending his GTR to AMS then I would recommend sending the vette to Callaway. More power and a warranty. What's not to like?

Thanks guys!
The following users liked this post:
dhore417 (10-10-2015)

Get notified of new replies

To Looking at purchasing Z06

Old 10-02-2015, 12:03 PM
peterjank
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Good luck with your search. I've provided answers interspersed with your questions below.

Originally Posted by dhore417
Hello everyone,
My name is David and I'm 19 years old. I go on forums for my dad to help him out with his cars, I'm a huge car kid and have been that way my whole life. My dad currently owns a 2009 GT-R that he is sending to AMS Performance this winter for either their Ronin or Alpha 10x package.

1. Did your dealer let you test drive the car before you bought it? Our dealer told us that even if he puts the deposit down on an order, they probably will not let us test drive one even if they have one. Is this normal and did any of you have the same issue. My dad said he would prefer not to spend $110k + on a car without driving it first if he doesn't have to

I ordered my Z06 in 2014 so none were available for test driving at the time. From what I have read, it appears that a few dealers have offered Z06 test drives but they are definitely the exception. One thing you might try is going to a group like Exotics Racing in Las Vegas, the Ron Fellows school in Las Vegas, or the Bondurant school in Arizona. You likely would not get to drive a convertible but you could probably get some seat time in a Z06 Coupe.

3. Are their any must have options? He is looking at doing the 2LZ Convertible with the Z07 Package with exposed carbon fiber. Is there enough of a reason to upgrade to the 3LZ for the extra money?

I ordered 2LZ with Competition Seats in my car. I did not think the 3LZ was worth the money. I have the PDR and I think it is great for use on track. Also, if you plan to track the car definitely stick with the manual transmission. That is GM's recommendation as well. The auto shifts great and it is fun to use the paddles on track. However, the auto gears are spaced tighter than the manual's gears. As a result, you spend more time in the high end of the rpm range with the auto which contributes to overheating on track.

4. Any other reasons why he should buy this car? It is at the top of his list and I have read so many good things about it but what in particular caused you to buy it?

The cornering grip is amazing. It stops really well also.

Thanks guys!
dhore417 (10-10-2015)
Old 10-03-2015, 07:10 AM
Pro

Received 222 Likes on 113 Posts

When I asked macmulkin if the car I wanted had any test miles on it, they said it had three miles on it, which was the "off the truck" mileage; absolutely no Corvette test drives. Every single vette there had only 3 miles on it. I asked for a test drive, they said no. Fair enough.

They let me start it, crawl all over it, put it in gear, partially engage the clutch, etc, but they would not let me move it until I bought it. On balance, I preferred to take that risk rather than buy a car that someone else might have flogged even if just for a second.
dhore417 (10-10-2015)
Old 10-03-2015, 03:54 PM
dhore417
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for all the responses guys! Some good information that I will definitely be relaying to my dad!

Quick Reply: Looking at purchasing Z06