C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Buyers/New owners BEWARE! Preventable diff issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 02:42 PM
ramyk
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Buyers/New owners BEWARE! Preventable diff issue

Just thought I'd post this as a cautionary tale to help you guys avoid unnecessary problems.

Took my car in to the dealer today because there's a whining noise coming from the diff at highway speeds under light load. The diff is now going to be replaced and the car only has 1200 miles on it. I'm very disappointed that something went wrong 3 weeks into ownership and this kind of makes me worry about what this car will be like further down the line.

Apparently this problem was avoidable if fluid levels were checked upon receiving the car (I'm clueless about these things but this is what I was told by another very helpful Z06 owner). The reason I'm posting this is to recommend that anyone who is taking delivery soon find a way to check their fluid levels to avoid this problem. I'm also feeling a little jaded since, as a person who does not know his way around an engine, I get the sense there's a whole load of other stuff I might be missing that'll manifest later on. I purchased a finished product and shouldn't have to have a service jack at home to find out what else is wrong with my $100,000 car.

Last edited by ramyk; 10-05-2015 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:50 PM
jdmdohcpower
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Yup,
Mine was low, checked it the day I got it. Took 3/4 qt.
Don't get me wrong I love this car and I have not had any issues with 8 track days on it so far (m7) but that's just embarrassing for GM. Just crap QC
Old 10-05-2015, 02:51 PM
ElCid79
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

There are actually instructions in the manual to check it. I will try to find a page reference later.

Sorry for your bad luck. Fortunately a differential isn't a big deal. I do find it odd that your fluid was missing. It very probably had a leak. So you may be better off anyways.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:52 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

It's not just the level that's the problem. The original fluid was chock full of debris. There seems to be a significant amount of break in particles with this eLSD. Flush it right away, and early the first few times.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:56 PM
jdmdohcpower
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

not that odd. Many have reported low diff fluid levels without leaks.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:24 PM
ElCid79
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

Thanks for pointing this out. I will check mine as soon as I get it back from the transmission shop.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:38 PM
ramyk
Instructor

Originally Posted by jdmdohcpower
Yup,
Mine was low, checked it the day I got it. Took 3/4 qt.
Don't get me wrong I love this car and I have not had any issues with 8 track days on it so far (m7) but that's just embarrassing for GM. Just crap QC
It's beyond me how they allow delivery with low diff fluid. If they're too busy at GM to check it themselves they should at least include it in the PDI.

Originally Posted by ElCid79
There are actually instructions in the manual to check it. I will try to find a page reference later.

Sorry for your bad luck. Fortunately a differential isn't a big deal. I do find it odd that your fluid was missing. It very probably had a leak. So you may be better off anyways.
Apparently it's common for fluid levels to be off in the Z06. Ridiculous.

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
It's not just the level that's the problem. The original fluid was chock full of debris. There seems to be a significant amount of break in particles with this eLSD. Flush it right away, and early the first few times.
Only thing I was aware I needed to do was the oil change at 500mi. Anyway at least whoever reads this will benefit in knowing they need to check diff fluid levels.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:54 PM
mdz06vetter
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

[QUOTE=ramyk;1590634038]It's beyond me how they allow delivery with low diff fluid. If they're too busy at GM to check it themselves they should at least include it in the PDI.

It is part of the PDI!!!! Very **** poor service at the delivering dealer
Old 10-05-2015, 03:57 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

I'm thinking Bowling Green gets the diffs from an outside supplier and doesn't check them during the assembly process as part of a quality check. They must be assuming the supplier is doing their job.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:10 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

With new vehicles I always check the diff level, give it a reasonable break-in for the first 150 miles (sustained high speed driving is definitely not good) and then I change the fluid between 500 and 700 miles. The fluid change has been a warranty requirement on the last few HD diesel pickups I have purchased and it is a very good idea to get the manufacturing and break-in debris out of any differential.

Most differentials may provide a long life without excessive noise even without this maintenance but if having a lot of metallic and friction materials in the lube was a good idea then it would be added as part of the lube production process
Old 10-05-2015, 09:47 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by lgodom
I'm thinking Bowling Green gets the diffs from an outside supplier and doesn't check them during the assembly process as part of a quality check. They must be assuming the supplier is doing their job.
That is what they are doing. They expect them to come in correct. That is the way modern manufacturing, particularly assembly operations run. You can bet that any warranty in the rear end also goes against the supplier.

It's a shame that suppliers negatively reflect on the OEM, but no manufacturer is perfect, not even Apple.

The manufacturer also counts on its dealers to do a check as well....obviously that never happened either.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:06 PM
Trawicked
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You're absolutely right. Had mine replaced at the dealer this past Friday. There is also a software update to along with the replacement. Make sure they upload it.
The following users liked this post:
ramyk (10-05-2015)
Old 10-05-2015, 10:18 PM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I'd wonder what else in the PDI the dealer failed to do.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:22 PM
sammyv
Drifting

Received 183 Likes on 140 Posts

I had read on this forum (months ago) about some 15's with low diff fluid. Op what year is your car?
Old 10-05-2015, 11:10 PM
ramyk
Instructor

Originally Posted by NSC5
With new vehicles I always check the diff level, give it a reasonable break-in for the first 150 miles (sustained high speed driving is definitely not good) and then I change the fluid between 500 and 700 miles.....
Wish I could, but I've never had to find out how to do this for any other car I've owned and shouldn't have to start now.

Originally Posted by lgodom
Not good enough. I hate to say this but, although I'm sure they have their own sets of failures too, if I would've bought a Porsche I doubt a problem would arise because of something as menial as fluid levels being off.

Originally Posted by Trawicked
You're absolutely right. Had mine replaced at the dealer this past Friday. There is also a software update to along with the replacement. Make sure they upload it.
Thanks for the info, sorry you had this happen to you too. I'll be sure to point out the software update when they replace the diff.

Originally Posted by sammyv
I had read on this forum (months ago) about some 15's with low diff fluid. Op what year is your car?
Mine's a 16, delivered in the beginning of September.

Last edited by ramyk; 10-05-2015 at 11:25 PM.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:22 AM
anders1118
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a 15 stingray and hear a whine from the diff when i'm at idle. Will be taking it in for an oil change next week and will have them check it out.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:01 AM
GETAGUN
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Had my rearend replaced at 1500 miles.
Fluid full of metal and ****
Was originally told at 1100 miles it was normal and it needed to be broken in. Same dealer also never even drove the car to diagnose the problem.
Scan tool said its fine. Freaking parts changers.
Drove town the street to the GMC truck center and the diagnosed and had it replaced in three days.

Get notified of new replies

To Buyers/New owners BEWARE! Preventable diff issue

Old 10-06-2015, 02:18 PM
ramyk
Instructor

Originally Posted by anders1118
I have a 15 stingray and hear a whine from the diff when i'm at idle. Will be taking it in for an oil change next week and will have them check it out.
Good idea. Hope it's not the same issue.

Originally Posted by GETAGUN
Had my rearend replaced at 1500 miles.
Fluid full of metal and ****
Was originally told at 1100 miles it was normal and it needed to be broken in. Same dealer also never even drove the car to diagnose the problem.
Scan tool said its fine. Freaking parts changers.
Drove town the street to the GMC truck center and the diagnosed and had it replaced in three days.
Sucks man. Glad my dealer immediately recognized the problem and ordered the part. Is there a break in procedure for the differential that we're missing here or should the fluids just be checked and changed frequently? Don't want the same thing to happen again.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:27 PM
EdwardETraylorIII
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My rear end was replaced in the first 200 miles due to the same issue.... The rear diff fluid checker guy at the factory may need a refresher course...
Old 10-06-2015, 02:29 PM
mdz06vetter
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Delivering dealership needs better PDI process! That is one of the items that the tech checks as part of FLUIDS and obviously did NOT! GM pays the dealership for the PDI. I would really be talking with your dealership about EVERY service going forward.

Quick Reply: Buyers/New owners BEWARE! Preventable diff issue