C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Any limitation on shifting the A8 Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 01:46 PM
360 Spyder
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Any limitation on shifting the A8 Z06?

Paddle shift Ferraris prior to the 488 should not be shifted multiple times sequentially without waiting for each gear to engage. To me it is the biggest drawback of their F1 transmission. Is there any similar limitation on sequential downshifts with the A8?
Old 10-09-2015, 03:22 PM
GraphicDisorder
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Other than it shifts what feels like 1 billion times slower than a Ferrari from the time you pull the paddle until it shifts I haven't noticed any limitations.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:34 PM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Shift as fast as you desire...it will NOT overrev or underrev, which is good.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:40 PM
360 Spyder
Advanced

Originally Posted by GraphicDisorder
Other than it shifts what feels like 1 billion times slower than a Ferrari from the time you pull the paddle until it shifts I haven't noticed any limitations.
I thought this trans was nearly as fast. I saw a published time somewhere that was impressive.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:11 PM
KraZ
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 360 Spyder
I thought this trans was nearly as fast. I saw a published time somewhere that was impressive.
Agree, but that's where they were misleading in not clarifying if they meant when the tranny finally does decide to shift or after the paddle has been engaged. This really ticked off a lot of buyers after they realized that there is a delay from the time the paddle is clicked to the when the gear change actually occurs! What GM meant was when the darn thing finally does shift (who knows how many seconds after) the paddle is engaged, that the shift occurs a bit faster than a PDK - one of their biggest goofs was to compare the A8 to the industry standard PDK.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:15 PM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by KraZ
Agree, but that's where they were misleading in not clarifying if they meant when the tranny finally does decide to shift or after the paddle has been engaged. This really ticked off a lot of buyers after they realized that there is a delay from the time the paddle is clicked to the when the gear change actually occurs! What GM meant was when the darn thing finally does shift (who knows how many seconds after) the paddle is engaged, that the shift occurs a bit faster than a PDK - one of their biggest goofs was to compare the A8 to the industry standard PDK.

It certainly is not seconds but milliseconds. I have about 4000 miles on my 8 speed paddle shifter. It takes about 250 milliseconds most of the time for normal paddle shifts. WOT is something else however and it is much quicker.
And certainly faster than most can shift an M7.

Last edited by BOBSZ06; 10-09-2015 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:15 PM
GraphicDisorder
Instructor

Yes its very misleading. I am sure the time from when the computer tells it to shift that it shifts fast, but the delay from pull of paddle to actual shift is embarrassing compared to most any real super car. Just being fair. I assumed the same thing that when they said it shifts as fast as the PDK that it meant pull a paddle shift, its not like that at all. It's sloppy at best. I drive my buddies PDK 911 Turbo S and its night and day better shifting, not even a comparison. Same with a 458. Hell even a GTR makes it look like a joke as far as actual pull to shift time.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:22 PM
KraZ
Pro

Originally Posted by GraphicDisorder
Yes its very misleading. I am sure the time from when the computer tells it to shift that it shifts fast, but the delay from pull of paddle to actual shift is embarrassing compared to most any real super car. Just being fair. I assumed the same thing that when they said it shifts as fast as the PDK that it meant pull a paddle shift, its not like that at all. It's sloppy at best. I drive my buddies PDK 911 Turbo S and its night and day better shifting, not even a comparison. Same with a 458. Hell even a GTR makes it look like a joke as far as actual pull to shift time.
Thanks for being honest, I'm totally waiting on the next vette and giving it the last chance before moving over to other platforms.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:29 PM
GraphicDisorder
Instructor

It's trying to be something its not for sure.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:36 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

I do not track my car. I have never driven a Ferrari. I Do Not like the paddle shift in this car. But I absolutely love using the throttle blip method for grabbing a lower gear on the street. The closer to the floor you blip, the lower the gear it grabs. Takes a few tries to learn, but I love this method. Will hang there for 5 seconds or so before going back to cruise if not engaging or disengaging any throttle response from the initial blip. And the Shift lights on the heads up, COOL.

Edit: this method works best in sport or track modes. Dash says something like "performance shift activated" or enabled...

Last edited by jaden61; 10-09-2015 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:41 PM
360 Spyder
Advanced

Thanks for the great info. Had decided on a M7 already for the fun to drive factor but would have been very disappointed had I gone with the auto and found it to be that slow. My Ferrari 360 is surely much faster.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:50 PM
GraphicDisorder
Instructor

Originally Posted by 360 Spyder
Thanks for the great info. Had decided on a M7 already for the fun to drive factor but would have been very disappointed had I gone with the auto and found it to be that slow. My Ferrari 360 is surely much faster.
I haven't driven a 360, but I have driven a 430, 599, 458 and all of those shift smoother and faster than the new Z06 at least from paddle pull to shift.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:56 PM
a striper
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 120 Posts

Foolish me. I should have know that "shift time" and "response to driver input time" are two different things.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:24 PM
KraZ
Pro

Originally Posted by a striper
Foolish me. I should have know that "shift time" and "response to driver input time" are two different things.
It's alright man, not your fault this Tadge character and GM were simply not clear about what they meant when saying "it shifts faster than Porsche's PDK". Apparently, they made the same misleading comment about the C7 being the most "track capable" vette ever. Just enjoy your car bud, I'm sure it's still an incredibly fun machine to drive.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:40 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 733 Likes on 481 Posts

If someone owns a c7 Z06 and the car is taking "seconds" to shift gear when a paddle is pulled their car is defective.

In Sport and Track mode when driving aggressively the car shifts very quickly moving up the gearbox; much faster than the M7 can be shifted, and probably 250 milliseconds is a damn good guess. This from paddle pull to gear shift! Going down it does take slightly longer, but again it's still very fast and the rev matching is excellent.

I have owned multiple Sequential and DCT types of 'manual' gearboxes in various cars, and can tell you that whilst the A8 is ultimately not quite as quick as a PDK, DCT, S-Tronic, etc, it is an around fantastic gearbox that I'm extremely happy with. YMMV.

Bish
The following 2 users liked this post by thebishman:
JHEBERT (10-09-2015), tail_lights (10-09-2015)
Old 10-09-2015, 08:45 PM
JHEBERT
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 220 Posts

Bish,

I tend to believe you on this and hope this is the case, at least at WOT and higher rpms where it will really matter. I only have 400mi right now but looking forward to laying into it and pulling the paddles after my oil and diff fluid changes. I got out of my m7 zo7 for the auto, I play at the strip far more often, but the car will see road course duty. I already know about the slight lag at part throttle/lower rpm and maybe that's what some of these people are bitching about.

John
Old 10-09-2015, 08:59 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by thebishman
If someone owns a c7 Z06 and the car is taking "seconds" to shift gear when a paddle is pulled their car is defective.

In Sport and Track mode when driving aggressively the car shifts very quickly moving up the gearbox; much faster than the M7 can be shifted, and probably 250 milliseconds is a damn good guess. This from paddle pull to gear shift! Going down it does take slightly longer, but again it's still very fast and the rev matching is excellent.

I have owned multiple Sequential and DCT types of 'manual' gearboxes in various cars, and can tell you that whilst the A8 is ultimately not quite as quick as a PDK, DCT, S-Tronic, etc, it is an around fantastic gearbox that I'm extremely happy with. YMMV.

Bish

Absolutely. And I've got a 991 911 Turbo sitting in my garage and had two DBA GT-R's.
S.

Get notified of new replies

To Any limitation on shifting the A8 Z06?

Old 10-09-2015, 09:02 PM
dansracing
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JHEBERT
Bish,

I tend to believe you on this and hope this is the case, at least at WOT and higher rpms where it will really matter. I only have 400mi right now but looking forward to laying into it and pulling the paddles after my oil and diff fluid changes. I got out of my m7 zo7 for the auto, I play at the strip far more often, but the car will see road course duty. I already know about the slight lag at part throttle/lower rpm and maybe that's what some of these people are bitching about.

John
You will be fine with it and it's going to pay off on the strip. It will shift plenty fast enough for you on the road course. On the street for daily driving you will be even more glad you have it.
I have learned on this forum that no matter what question is asked, you will get answers from one end of extreme to the other. It's nice to have all of that but to keep your sanity you have to take it with a grain of salt and make your choice based on your driving style and personal needs.
The following users liked this post:
JHEBERT (10-09-2015)
Old 10-09-2015, 10:19 PM
a striper
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 120 Posts

It's alright man, not your fault this Tadge character and GM were simply not clear about what they meant when saying "it shifts faster than Porsche's PDK". Apparently, they made the same misleading comment about the C7 being the most "track capable" vette ever. Just enjoy your car bud, I'm sure it's still an incredibly fun machine to drive.

Heck yeah, great cars and when working like they should quite a deal too.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:43 PM
Rumba
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I guess you didn't see Tommy Milners' 130.xxx hot lap around Road Atlanta in an A8. Nothing slow about those shifts or lag to shift from paddle pull. Mine works just fine too.

Quick Reply: Any limitation on shifting the A8 Z06?