C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Kooks 2" Long tubes w/green cats

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 12:50 AM
2015 Z0SICK
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Kooks 2" Long tubes w/green cats

Hey guys. I just ordered some Kooks 2" Long Tube headers w/ Green cats from Maryland Speed. I am getting the headers coated w/ the Airborn 1700 Silver coating. I was told these new Green cats shouldn't throw a code. I am not planning on tuning in the near future. I currently just have a Corsa X pipe as far as exhaust mods. I was gonna get American Racing mid lengths but hopefully with these Green cats it will be what I want and add even more power.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:19 PM
JHEBERT
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 220 Posts

They won't throw codes for rear O2, but they will throw codes because the longtubes place the converter further downstream. They will take longer to heat and the codes you get will reflect this. It may only light the MIL every couple hundred miles or so, and u can clear it and have no issues. However, there will be a history of these cleared codes that can be seen by GM....if that matters any to you. if you have no warranty concerns, it's only a minor inconvenience to clear the codes until you can tune them out

John
Old 10-21-2015, 05:28 PM
2015 Z0SICK
Instructor

hmm, i was told it wouldn't throw codes...I am hoping this is true because it is the only reason I ordered them. I do not want to clear the codes or have any history of codes stored

Originally Posted by JHEBERT
They won't throw codes for rear O2, but they will throw codes because the longtubes place the converter further downstream. They will take longer to heat and the codes you get will reflect this. It may only light the MIL every couple hundred miles or so, and u can clear it and have no issues. However, there will be a history of these cleared codes that can be seen by GM....if that matters any to you. if you have no warranty concerns, it's only a minor inconvenience to clear the codes until you can tune them out

John
Old 10-21-2015, 09:51 PM
2015 Z0SICK
Instructor

This is straight from Maryland Speeds website

Kooks offers a standard High Flow Race Catalytic converter for all applications. This is the same style high flow race converter that every other header manufacturer offers. Without a tune, the Standard high flow converters throw check engine lights in almost every application they heat up and flow differently than the stock cats. To solve this, and provide a more durable converter, Kooks now offers connection pipes with what they call "Ultra High Performance Green" catalytic converters. These new green cats from Kooks use a special design that uses premium materials never before seen in a aftermarket converter to flow at a very high level, while not throwing check engine codes (for the vast majority of customers). In the testing thus far, 98% of customers did not get a check engine lights with the stock tune. Those who did get lights were at a performance level where a tune would be required anyway. These "Green" catalytic converters have also proven more durable due to their premium design/materials, and are recommended for extreme HP or supercharged applications. Please note connection pipes with green cats do cost more due to the premium construction (for instance they include more platinum than most cats), and are special order.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:21 PM
Stingray Al
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 2015 Z0SICK
This is straight from Maryland Speeds website

Kooks offers a standard High Flow Race Catalytic converter for all applications. This is the same style high flow race converter that every other header manufacturer offers. Without a tune, the Standard high flow converters throw check engine lights in almost every application they heat up and flow differently than the stock cats. To solve this, and provide a more durable converter, Kooks now offers connection pipes with what they call "Ultra High Performance Green" catalytic converters. These new green cats from Kooks use a special design that uses premium materials never before seen in a aftermarket converter to flow at a very high level, while not throwing check engine codes (for the vast majority of customers). In the testing thus far, 98% of customers did not get a check engine lights with the stock tune. Those who did get lights were at a performance level where a tune would be required anyway. These "Green" catalytic converters have also proven more durable due to their premium design/materials, and are recommended for extreme HP or supercharged applications. Please note connection pipes with green cats do cost more due to the premium construction (for instance they include more platinum than most cats), and are special order.

Well? Did they throw a code ?
Old 12-20-2015, 10:31 PM
2015 Z0SICK
Instructor

I dropped my car off at Horsepower Addicts last week. I will be picking it up on Tuesday. I am getting the headers installed along with a 18% pulley, flex fuel sensor, 160 degree thermostat, NGK spark plugs, and Fasterproms Ram Air. It will also be getting Dyno tuned. I will not be able to tell you if just the headers with the green cats with no tune will throw a code

Originally Posted by Stingray Al
Well? Did they throw a code ?
Old 01-13-2016, 12:09 PM
darylfcf
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I dropped my car off at Horsepower Addicts last week. I will be picking it up on Tuesday. I am getting the headers installed along with a 18% pulley, flex fuel sensor, 160 degree thermostat, NGK spark plugs, and Fasterproms Ram Air. It will also be getting Dyno tuned. I will not be able to tell you if just the headers with the green cats with no tune will throw a code
how did the car do? dyno numbers?
Old 01-13-2016, 01:25 PM
2015 Z0SICK
Instructor

On e30 (30% e85) The car made 717rwhp and 671 rwt. You can see the video here

Originally Posted by darylfcf
how did the car do? dyno numbers?
The following users liked this post:
Sharkgray (01-13-2016)
Old 01-13-2016, 01:34 PM
0NORCAL-SS
Former Vendor

Received 328 Likes on 232 Posts

Over 600 rwhp I would not run cats. I've seen enough 9f the kooks green cats blow thru.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:33 PM
2015 Z0SICK
Instructor

What are the signs of a blown cat?

Originally Posted by NORCAL-SS
Over 600 rwhp I would not run cats. I've seen enough 9f the kooks green cats blow thru.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:40 PM
0NORCAL-SS
Former Vendor

Element loose inside and gets stuck sideways or blows out. Stock z06 I'll say its ok but modded customers especially with pulley I don't set up with cats. Oem system with main cat delete and corsa x pipe my customer gained 18 hp. The oem manifolds flow well
Old 01-13-2016, 03:07 PM
2015 Z0SICK
Instructor

Thing is i cant stand the smell of a car with no cats....I hope mine hold up

Originally Posted by NORCAL-SS
Element loose inside and gets stuck sideways or blows out. Stock z06 I'll say its ok but modded customers especially with pulley I don't set up with cats. Oem system with main cat delete and corsa x pipe my customer gained 18 hp. The oem manifolds flow well
Old 01-13-2016, 03:22 PM
0NORCAL-SS
Former Vendor

StOk cam/tune I've never had any issues with smell and no cats on new z06. Once you put cam in then yes you snell it. This is why I'm making a cat delete kit
Old 01-13-2016, 05:39 PM
Greg Purkey
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

installed headers green cat pipes and x pipe no codes
Old 01-15-2016, 10:19 PM
0MarylandSpeed
Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

The Kooks green cats hold up the best of any cat on the market to boost if tuned right. I will be honest, we have sold a lot of them to CTS-V/ZL1/Z06 guys, and I have never seen a set fail. If the green cats fail, no other cat will last. It does all come down to the tune however. A bad tune will kill a cat fast.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:18 AM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

Just installed mine. Code within 20 miles. Otherwise stock 5.3L 2014 Silverado.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:18 AM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed
The Kooks green cats hold up the best of any cat on the market to boost if tuned right. I will be honest, we have sold a lot of them to CTS-V/ZL1/Z06 guys, and I have never seen a set fail. If the green cats fail, no other cat will last. It does all come down to the tune however. A bad tune will kill a cat fast.
My wife has three cats. Do I tune the wife or the cats if I want them gone?

Get notified of new replies

To Kooks 2" Long tubes w/green cats

Old 01-23-2016, 03:55 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by RandomTask
My wife has three cats. Do I tune the wife or the cats if I want them gone?
Get rid of the cats then get the wife 'tuned' for the best performance! Lol

The other alternative is get rid of the wife and the cats will probably follow!
Old 01-25-2016, 02:21 AM
SharkbyteLT4
Le Mans Master

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

On e30 (30% e85) The car made 717rwhp and 671 rwt. You can see the video here
https://youtu.be/r6TkPV47K1Y
pretty impressive if that is all the mods you have on the car. Formato has more mods on his car and makes around the same number as yours
Old 01-25-2016, 02:38 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Hey guys. I just ordered some Kooks 2" Long Tube headers w/ Green cats from Maryland Speed. I am getting the headers coated w/ the Airborn 1700 Silver coating. I was told these new Green cats shouldn't throw a code. I am not planning on tuning in the near future. I currently just have a Corsa X pipe as far as exhaust mods. I was gonna get American Racing mid lengths but hopefully with these Green cats it will be what I want and add even more power.
I have some coated 2 inch as well to put on.
Not Kook's But

Maryland Speed rocks just the same!

Quick Reply: Kooks 2" Long tubes w/green cats