C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Michelin Corvette Challenge Series - SPRING MOUNTAIN!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 05:08 PM
RickConti@Coughlin
Safety Car

Received 1,554 Likes on 557 Posts
Default Michelin Corvette Challenge Series - SPRING MOUNTAIN!

INITIAL PRESS RELEASE - CLICK HERE!

NOV 2, 2015 PAHRUMP, Nev. – Chevrolet and drivers from the Ron Fellows Corvette high-performance driving school at the Spring Mountain track demonstrated Stingray models enhanced with components from a new lineup of Z06-based performance parts.

They’re designed for 2014+ Stingray models, including Z51-equipped cars.

“We’ve selected specific components from the Corvette Z06 and engineered them to fit the award-winning Stingray,” said Jim Campbell, Chevrolet U.S. vice president of Performance Vehicles and Motorsports. “These Z06 parts enhance the handling, braking, cooling and downforce performance of the Stingray.”

Ron Fellows, champion Corvette Racing driver, collaborated with Chevrolet Performance engineers on the all-new portfolio. Many will be used in cars in the new Michelin Corvette Challenge racing series, which was developed with Fellows and will run a 15-race schedule starting in February 2016.

“Here at Spring Mountain, we drive the Corvette Stingray and Z06 at their limits nearly every day, so we’re in a unique position to recognize the parts that are most effective,” said Ron Fellows. “The effect of the new, Z06-based parts on the Stingray’s track capability is dramatic. They take the Stingray’s already great stopping and cornering capabilities to yet another exciting level of stability and precision.”

Most of the Z06 parts are offered as direct replacements for the Stingray’s original parts.

“No one has spent more time developing Corvette performance parts than Chevrolet and this new range of components is the result of countless hours of testing that aftermarket companies can’t match,” said Mark Dickens, director, Performance Variants, Parts and Motorsports. “You can mix and match the parts to build your own ultimate Stingray track car – all with factory-engineered components customers can trust will fit and perform as expected.”

The new performance parts portfolio includes:
◾Corvette Z06 Level 3 Aero Package
This kit is an upgrade for Level 2-equipped Corvette Z06 models and adds elements from the Z07 Performance Package, including larger end plates to the front splitter, as well as an adjustable, transparent wickerbill on the rear spoiler.

◾Corvette Z06 600-Watt Radiator Fan
Developed to meet the Z06’s cooling requirements, this powerful, 600-watt radiator cooling fan increases the fan speed over the Stingray’s 500-Watt system for greater airflow and enhanced cooling capability. It is a direct replacement for the standard Corvette Stingray cooling fan.

◾Corvette Secondary Radiator Kit
This kit adds cooling capability to manual transmission Corvettes (base Stingray, Z51 and Z06). The engine coolant temperatures are lowered 25 degrees F along with lowering engine oil temperatures 15 degrees F. The addition of the Z06 grille further enhances the cooling performance of this kit.

◾Corvette Z06 Grille Kit
The Z06 front grille was designed to provide maximum airflow to the radiator, intercooler and brake cooling ducts for the 650-hp supercar, resulting in a 17-percent increase in front-end airflow, compared to the grille of the Corvette Stingray Z51. It’s a direct replacement for the Stingray grille insert. Additionally, the inlet ramps to the brake cooling ducts were optimized to balance the airflow demands of brake cooling and engine cooling.

◾Corvette Z06 Quarter Panel Vents
They offer larger openings than the Corvette Stingray, for increased airflow to the transmission oil cooler and differential cooler – an approximately 25-percent improvement over the airflow of the Z51 at speed, to help maintain cooling performance.

◾Corvette Z06 Rear Transmission Oil Cooler
The larger Z06 rear transmission oil cooler fits in the same location as the base Stingray and Z51 cooler and adds extra cooling capacity. It works best when paired with the Z06 Quarter Panel Vents to maximize airflow through the cooler.

◾Corvette Z06 Carbon Fiber Torque Tube and Prop Shaft Kit
The lightweight Z06 Carbon Fiber Torque Tube assembly saves almost 15.5 pounds (7 Kg) compared to the Stingray’s steel-intensive torque tube. The kit also includes higher-temperature rubber couplers in the prop shaft. Applications vary by transmission and model year. The torque tube is also available separately.

◾Corvette Stingray Heat Shield
This larger heat shield helps protect the prop shaft from higher temperatures. It is only required for 2014 Corvette Stingray models. It is included on 2015+ models.

◾Corvette Z06 Prop Shaft Assembly with High-Temp Couplers
The Corvette Z06’s internal prop shaft includes rubber couplers designed for higher temperatures and a larger heat shield. These couplers are included with the Corvette Z06 Carbon Fiber Torque Tube and Prop Shaft Kit.

◾Corvette Z06 Carbon Fiber Underbody Braces*
These carbon fiber underbody braces are 17 percent lighter than the aluminum braces on the Corvette Stingray, while also offering an improvement in overall torsional stiffness. They are a direct replacement for the standard braces.

◾Corvette Z06 Brake Kits (Iron Rotors) for Stingray with Z51*
Designed for Stingray models equipped with the Z51 package, they feature the Z06’s standard, two-piece and slotted iron rotors – measuring 14.6-in. x 1.3-in (370mm x 34mm) for the front rotors and 14.4-in. x 1-in. (365mm x 26mm) for the rear. The front kit uses aluminum monoblock six-piston calipers, while the rear kit features four-piston fixed calipers. The front calipers also feature vented pistons for improved pad and brake fluid cooling. They also offer differentiated piston diameters of 30mm, 34mm and 38mm (leading to trailing), for more even pad pressure for improved pad wear. These brakes will not fit under base Stingray or Z51 wheels. They require a minimum of 4mm wheel clearance between the outboard face of the caliper and the inner wheel spokes.

◾Corvette Stingray Z51 Brake Kit
Designed as an upgrade for the standard Stingray, this Z51 brake complete kit – front and rear – features slotted rotors measuring 13.6 inches (345mm) in front and 13.3 inches (338mm) in the rear. This increases the overall diameter in relation to the standard 12.6-in. (321mm) front rotors. Coupled with the new Z06/Z51 Brake Cooling Kit, this system will match the braking performance of the factory Z51 brake system.

◾Corvette Z06/Z51 Front Brake Cooling Kit
This kit includes brake ducts and deflectors that channel air from the front grille through the wheel wells to cool the front brakes and expel heat. On a standard Corvette Stingray, it increases airflow by 16 percent, enhancing stopping performance by reducing temperature and the chance for brake fade. For optimal performance, it should be used with the Z51 Brake Package and the Z06 Grille Kit.

◾Corvette Stingray T1 Suspension*
This suspension package was developed to improve the on-track handling capabilities of the Corvette Stingray, including Z51-equipped models. It includes more aggressive shocks, stiffer stabilizer bars and new lower control arms with stiffer bushings. It was developed for racing and the aggressive shocks were utilized to maintain eligibility to compete within the rules of most club racing sanctioning bodies. It is currently homologated in SCCA’s Touring 1 class.

◾Corvette Stingray Track Day concept
Chevrolet is showcasing the new parts portfolio on the Z51-based Stingray Track Day concept vehicle, which is on display this week at the SEMA Show, in Las Vegas.

In addition to the new performance parts, the Gloss Black concept includes a unique air extractor hood with red accents on hood vent grille, mirrors and rear spoiler. Additional visual distinction comes from Carbon Flash vents and rocker extensions, along with a carbon fiber roof panel, front fascia extension and door inserts. It also features edge-lit LED turn signals.

Inside, the black cabin is outfitted with the Competition Sport seats that are optional on the Stingray, along with suede inserts on the shifter and steering wheel. A rear crossbar was added for mounting a five-point harness, while the available Performance Data Recorder captures the car’s performance.

Performance is driven by the standard LT1 6.2L V-8, rated at 460 horsepower and 465 lb-ft of torque with the available exhaust system, and backed by a seven-speed manual transmission with Active Rev Match

Last edited by RickConti@Coughlin; 11-03-2015 at 08:00 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:20 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

I remember the 1988/1989 Corvette Challenge Series. Great times!
Old 11-02-2015, 05:46 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

It'll be interesting to see if Michelin offers some slick options in Z06 sizes.

"Additionally, all of the cars will run on Michelin racing slick tires in dry conditions or Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires in wet conditions"
Old 11-02-2015, 05:56 PM
BOBSZ857
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 168 Posts

Sounds like a good thing.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:08 PM
RickConti@Coughlin
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Callaway Chris
I remember the 1988/1989 Corvette Challenge Series. Great times!
yes sir!!!!!!!
Old 11-02-2015, 06:17 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

...and what is this that they mention under the vehicle specifications
"Secondary Radiator Kit"
Old 11-02-2015, 06:38 PM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

I need one of those
Old 11-02-2015, 07:36 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
It'll be interesting to see if Michelin offers some slick options in Z06 sizes.

"Additionally, all of the cars will run on Michelin racing slick tires in dry conditions or Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires in wet conditions"
these are all stingrays so prob gonna be tires in the z51 sizes.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:00 AM
RickConti@Coughlin
Safety Car

more press details posted above, plus these pics

Old 11-03-2015, 09:39 AM
Operations
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 231 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by dvandentop
these are all stingrays so prob gonna be tires in the z51 sizes.
I think I saw they will be 9.5" front and 11" rear
Forgeline will be making the wheels, with the Z06 iron brakes the OEM Z51 wheel wont clear the calipers.
I try to run this down and post a link.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:00 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

meh.... I can't imagine racing an entire "series" at the same track for 8 race weekends. I love the idea of a Corvette based series like PCA but this approach seems stupid. Same track + same drivers = BORING. I wish they'd take the plunge and sell a "Corvette Cup Car" and develop a nationwide racing series. They have the perfect model available to copy (i.e., PCA).

One of the main reasons people like myself get into racing is to travel to the best tracks in the country and go wheel-to-wheel on them. Bucket list tracks with differing competition at each track.

If they're going to take the plunge, TAKE THE PLUNGE. Offering a "street legal" car for full on wheel-to-wheel racing is silly and half-assed.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:04 PM
Toilets
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Wheel to wheel racing with no roll cage??? Am I missing something here?
Old 11-03-2015, 03:26 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

Will the car have a cage? I do recall the 1989 "Splash" car which was #89 and used to promote the Corvette Challenge Series in 1989, was noting more than Dymag Wheels, decals, a race seat, and not much more. The race cars of 1989, much different.

Point is, there are show cars to introduce a series, and if history repeats itself, the race cars will be just that - race cars. If you are not familiar with the 1988-1989 Corvette Challenge Series, you might find this link of interest:
http://www.showyourcorvette.com

Old 11-03-2015, 03:58 PM
Lacquer
Racer

Received 278 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhek
meh.... I can't imagine racing an entire "series" at the same track for 8 race weekends. I love the idea of a Corvette based series like PCA but this approach seems stupid. Same track + same drivers = BORING. I wish they'd take the plunge and sell a "Corvette Cup Car" and develop a nationwide racing series. They have the perfect model available to copy (i.e., PCA).

One of the main reasons people like myself get into racing is to travel to the best tracks in the country and go wheel-to-wheel on them. Bucket list tracks with differing competition at each track.

If they're going to take the plunge, TAKE THE PLUNGE. Offering a "street legal" car for full on wheel-to-wheel racing is silly and half-assed.
You obviously have never been to Spring Mountain... It is currently the longest track in North America and second longest track in the world. They will soon add more track to make it the longest eclipsing Nuburgring. There are well over 50 different configurations with turns modeled after some of the most famous tracks in the world. You would not drive the same track twice in the series.
This is a great opportunity to get a spec series off to a good start and they have plans to go big later. They still have to get these cars to market and I doubt there would be enough sold by February to support a nation wide series.

Last edited by Lacquer; 11-03-2015 at 04:22 PM.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:03 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Lacquer
You obviously have never been to Spring Mountain... It is currently the longest track in North America and second longest track in the world. They will soon add more track to make it the longest eclipsing Nuburgring. There are well over 50 different configurations with turns modeled after some of the most famous tracks in the world. You would not drive the same track twice in the series.
This is a great opportunity to get a spec series off to a good start and they have plans to go big later. They still have to get these cars to market and I doubt there would be enough sold by February to support a nation wide series.
You obviously don't know me and where I've been. I race about 12 weekends a year across the country. Road Atlanta to Buttonwillow, COTA to Road America, Sebring to Watkins Glen and many tracks in between. I have been to Pahrump, NV and guarantee you I nor the guys in my series have Pahrump, NV as a place we'd fly/haul to 8 times in a single season.

Spring Mountain is a fine facility but, I've never seen it on anyone's bucket list of tracks to race. Once a season would be fine but it would be hell going there 8 times in a single year.

And yes I know it's an hour from Las Vegas but doing an hour drive each way over a 4 day weekend sucks. When you have to be at the track by 6:30 - 7:00 a.m. each morning and don't get out of there until about 6:00 p.m. in the evening this gets old very fast. The number one criteria me and my team have on choosing a hotel is the drive distance to the hotel. The shorter the better. And yes, I know you can stay at the condos at the track or in Pahrump but it's still Pahrump.....

One of the draws of racing in a series is to go to different parts of the country and different tracks. I'm fully aware of running different configurations but it's still the same place. It would be like being trapped as depicted in the movie "Groundhog Day". No thanks.

As far as the other points you make I agree 100%. If they're just going to kick it off at Spring Mountain the first year as the start of a spec series I can understand. I just know I won't be writing a check.....

Last edited by rikhek; 11-03-2015 at 05:14 PM.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:02 PM
seamus2154
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhek
You obviously don't know me and where I've been. I race about 12 weekends a year across the country. Road Atlanta to Buttonwillow, COTA to Road America, Sebring to Watkins Glen and many tracks in between. I have been to Pahrump, NV and guarantee you I nor the guys in my series have Pahrump, NV as a place we'd fly/haul to 8 times in a single season.

Spring Mountain is a fine facility but, I've never seen it on anyone's bucket list of tracks to race. Once a season would be fine but it would be hell going there 8 times in a single year.

And yes I know it's an hour from Las Vegas but doing an hour drive each way over a 4 day weekend sucks. When you have to be at the track by 6:30 - 7:00 a.m. each morning and don't get out of there until about 6:00 p.m. in the evening this gets old very fast. The number one criteria me and my team have on choosing a hotel is the drive distance to the hotel. The shorter the better. And yes, I know you can stay at the condos at the track or in Pahrump but it's still Pahrump.....

One of the draws of racing in a series is to go to different parts of the country and different tracks. I'm fully aware of running different configurations but it's still the same place. It would be like being trapped as depicted in the movie "Groundhog Day". No thanks.

As far as the other points you make I agree 100%. If they're just going to kick it off at Spring Mountain the first year as the start of a spec series I can understand. I just know I won't be writing a check.....
^^^^^ Totally agree!! And Pahrump is an armpit! Was there this year, school was great, but…….
Old 11-03-2015, 07:36 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

This series is going to be a more arrive and drive type series as far as i understand it. Isnt one where you can go home and make changes it is a spec series with all maint done by spring mountain. Along with storage between the races. That is what I get out of reading the press releases.

Get notified of new replies

To Michelin Corvette Challenge Series - SPRING MOUNTAIN!

Old 11-03-2015, 09:00 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

I wonder which harness bar they are using.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:40 PM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,069 Likes on 755 Posts

Any schedule of tracks ? I remember the original CC series when they raced at a make shift track a the Meadowlands.Hope they come to NJ.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:17 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jr9170
Any schedule of tracks ? I remember the original CC series when they raced at a make shift track a the Meadowlands.Hope they come to NJ.
Why would you post to a thread you haven't read!?!?!? Amazing...

Last edited by rikhek; 11-03-2015 at 10:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Michelin Corvette Challenge Series - SPRING MOUNTAIN!