C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Engine Trouble - anyone seen it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 12:28 AM
ChopperDan64
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Engine Trouble - anyone seen it?

2016, A8 with 2k miles. Couple weeks back it started being cranky when trying to start in in the mornings. Stopped for gas the other day and almost wouldn’t start. Sweet, new $110k car sitting in the gas station not starting when the guy in the 500 Fiat drives by with a thumbs up and a big grin… butthead. Check engine light flashes on for about 20 seconds on the way home.

Get home, and sometime in the next hour it pukes about ½ quart of oil on the garage floor. Obviously, there is a real issue now. Tow it to the dealer… flatbed guy is real proud to have a new Z06 on his truck.
Dealer calls and says there is fuel in the oil and the oil came out of the air box because the oil system was overfilled because of the amount of fuel. Ahhh… we duno what the issue is, waiting on GM.

Anyone experienced this?

Last edited by ChopperDan64; 11-25-2015 at 12:28 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:40 AM
SS MPSTR
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Holy crap! No, and I hope they figure it out quickly. Keep us posted.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:24 AM
OBSSSD
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Another motor gone...
Old 11-25-2015, 07:01 AM
Movie Muscle
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

Ouch that will have thinned that oil out a wee bit. Sorry bearings we just shorted your life.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:37 AM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

Only thing I can think of is your piston rings being absolutely shot but with 2k miles I am at a loss to explain how that much fuel got into the oil. Regardless, with the engine having been run like that, demand a complete new one from blower to pan. All your bearing surfaces are probably destroyed.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:42 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Not good, anxious to see root cause and fix
Old 11-25-2015, 08:25 AM
Jpjr2016
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

GM: Sir we suspect you may have mistakin the oil fill tube for the fuel tank at the gas station.

You will receive an email in a few days requesting feedback, hopefully we provided you with excellent customer service.
The following users liked this post:
DFW_Z06 (11-25-2015)
Old 11-25-2015, 08:37 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by RandomTask
Only thing I can think of is your piston rings being absolutely shot but with 2k miles I am at a loss to explain how that much fuel got into the oil. Regardless, with the engine having been run like that, demand a complete new one from blower to pan. All your bearing surfaces are probably destroyed.
Not that I've ever heard of this before, but the DI pump is driven off the cam and if it had a major leak at the bottom it would end up in the crankcase.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 11-25-2015, 08:58 AM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Originally Posted by ChopperDan64
2016, A8 with 2k miles. Couple weeks back it started being cranky when trying to start in in the mornings. Stopped for gas the other day and almost wouldn’t start. Sweet, new $110k car sitting in the gas station not starting when the guy in the 500 Fiat drives by with a thumbs up and a big grin… butthead. Check engine light flashes on for about 20 seconds on the way home.

Get home, and sometime in the next hour it pukes about ½ quart of oil on the garage floor. Obviously, there is a real issue now. Tow it to the dealer… flatbed guy is real proud to have a new Z06 on his truck.
Dealer calls and says there is fuel in the oil and the oil came out of the air box because the oil system was overfilled because of the amount of fuel. Ahhh… we duno what the issue is, waiting on GM.

Anyone experienced this?
Who did your 500 mile oil change?
Old 11-25-2015, 09:20 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

OP...if it puked that much oil, it sounds like the dry sump was overfilled. When that happens, there is nowhere for the oil to go. Dealer or shop errors when changing oil on Z51's and Z06's are well-documented (not sure why it's so hard for them to do).

I'm wondering if that's a big part of the problem. Good luck. Despite what some BS some on here will try to spread, engine failures on these cars are not very common with only 6 being reported on this forum. Good luck!
S.
The following users liked this post:
Lavender (11-25-2015)
Old 11-25-2015, 10:33 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Jpjr2016
GM: Sir we suspect you may have mistakin the oil fill tube for the fuel tank at the gas station.

You will receive an email in a few days requesting feedback, hopefully we provided you with excellent customer service.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:15 AM
ChopperDan64
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
OP...if it puked that much oil, it sounds like the dry sump was overfilled. When that happens, there is nowhere for the oil to go. Dealer or shop errors when changing oil on Z51's and Z06's are well-documented (not sure why it's so hard for them to do).

I'm wondering if that's a big part of the problem. Good luck. Despite what some BS some on here will try to spread, engine failures on these cars are not very common with only 6 being reported on this forum. Good luck!
S.
As originally stated, the oil system was overfilled with fuel and why it puked. Criswell did the 500m oil change and I checked it twice since the oil change and it was just fine.

I grew up as a mechanic and I've restored several old trucks. When I stepped into the garage, it smelled like my 53' Chevy P/U... oil and gas mix. Normal for an old truck, not for a new Z06. This is when I looked under the car and saw the dump. Didn't know there was fuel in the oil until Criswell called.

When I rolled the car out of the garage for the tow truck, I checked the oil. This was when the engine was cold and not per the prescribed method in the owners manual which is warm engine and wait 5-10 min after shutdown, it was about an inch over the full mark. Since I've never checked the oil when it was cold, I'm unsure if this is normal or not.

I'd be grateful if someone would check their oil when the engine is cold and let me know what the level is.

UPDATE: Just as I posted this, Criswell called. The tech is 90% sure it's the high pressure fuel pump as that is the only place the fuel and oil mix. They believe there is a failure of the fuel pump. There are no fuel pumps available, in the system, from GM or anyplace. They've contacted the GM rep... more to follow after the holiday. I also reminded them, we have no idea how long there has been fuel in the oil and all the bearings could be compromised.

Last edited by ChopperDan64; 11-25-2015 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:23 AM
Ahmed_otb
ICE enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I'm close on doing my oil change, so how many oil bottle should I fill up the car?
Old 11-25-2015, 11:24 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Sounds like Jason's thoughts on the fuel pump may be a good place to start. OP - you might mention that to the techs at the dealership.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:25 AM
Ahmed_otb
ICE enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

As originally stated, the oil system was overfilled with fuel and why it puked. Criswell did the 500m oil change and I checked it twice since the oil change and it was just fine.

I grew up as a mechanic and I've restored several old trucks. When I stepped into the garage, it smelled like my 53' Chevy P/U... oil and gas mix. Normal for an old truck, not for a new Z06. This is when I looked under the car and saw the dump. Didn't know there was fuel in the oil until Criswell called.

When I rolled the car out of the garage for the tow truck, I checked the oil. This was when the engine was cold and not per the prescribed method in the owners manual which is warm engine and wait 5-10 min after shutdown, it was about an inch over the full mark. Since I've never checked the oil when it was cold, I'm unsure if this is normal or not.

I'd be grateful if someone would check their oil when the engine is cold and let me know what the level is.

Waiting for the update today.
from what you have described it looks more like it was over filled,

hopefully everything clears out
Old 11-25-2015, 11:49 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Honestly folks I don't know how you can say it was overfilled. Dan already stated that he had checked the oil after the oil change and it was fine. The oil level should be lower when cold not an inch over the full mark.

It sounds like something in the engine dumped fuel in to the oil system and that diluted the oil and overfilled it. Jason is the most knowledgeable person I know on these engines and is probably right about the source.

The hard start could have been because the engine was having a hard time building pressure because of a leak somewhere. As it is these DI cars take longer to crank when they've been sitting because it takes a bit to build pressure.

Dan, I'd be talking to them about a new engine. If you were driving it around with the oil diluted with 10-20% fuel I suspect that there was bearing damage especially if the car saw any high RPM use. Let GM tear the engine apart on their own time and figure out what and why failed but I don't see any sense in trying to repair this one.

Criswell is a big Corvette dealer and should be able to make this happen.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:14 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Ahh...sorry, I misread the end of the post looking at it again.

And yeah...if there was fuel in the oil thinning it out, the bearings might not look so good. Again, good luck, and being one of the largest Corvette dealers out there, I'm sure Criswell will take good care of you.
S.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine Trouble - anyone seen it?

Old 11-25-2015, 12:35 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

I'm betting on the guy who said the DI pump broke up where its driven and filled the crankcase with fuel which got vacuumed back to the dry dump tank, causing the oil system to overflow and puke out.

That'd be a $500 second-hand diagnosis fee, but I'll waive it as a I feel bad for anyone who's new car breaks. But don't freak out, mechanical things break and these are no different, except they're probably better, given how soon we know about anyone's problems and how few we actually see!

Fortunately the dealer will pretty much have to find and fix it! You wouldn't want to drive it or run it until then as your oil is likely seriously diluted so whoever called for the flat bed was thinking. Of course "drive that car as it pukes out oil" would be a hard sell...

Last edited by davepl; 11-25-2015 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:37 PM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
Not that I've ever heard of this before, but the DI pump is driven off the cam and if it had a major leak at the bottom it would end up in the crankcase.
Makes way more sense. And explains the hard starts (tough time getting up to pressure).

I am curious as to what effect this would have on the blower as our cars tend to ingest oil. Regardless, bearings are probably damaged. I'm sure Criswell will take care of you though.

I’d love to get my hands on that LT4 though. . . throw a new set of bearings in it and see how long she can eat.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:47 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Since the fuel pump can put up over 2,000 PSI, it is easy to see that if fuel pressure was release into the crankcase, it would blow oil everywhere.

Quick Reply: Engine Trouble - anyone seen it?