C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

A8 vs 7M

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 11:24 PM
Rd16rr
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Tork Monster
I have yet to order my Z06, and this is on my mind a lot. I keep landing on the M7, but second guessing constantly.

A8:
-Quicker in a straight line (but both are around 3 seconds 0-60, so this is not relevant unless you are truly racing)
-Easier and faster to hit the right gear, especially if you are asleep or lazy
-Can pop into a different gear mid turn (manual mode should resolve this with practice)
-More people can drive it (valet)
-Much better in traffic
-Can still drive it if you damage your left knee

M7:
-Manuals are more rare as time goes by. This could place the M7 as a more valuable car in the future
-Fewer people can drive it (my daughters, for instance)
-Costs ~$3k less with the gas guzzler tax included
-Gets better gas mileage (but who is buying this car for MPG?)
-Better control in corners, downshifting, overall control of the car; more involvement.
-I love the feeling and sound of pulling away from a stop with a manual... and downshifting...
-Has a reputation for popping out of gear if the linkage isn't adjusted perfectly. This can be resolved by installing an MGW short-throw shifter, though, and mods are fun.
-Properly driving a stick takes experience. When you really get it down, it is like perfectly hitting the apex in a corner. I don't think I would get the same thrill with an automatic.
-My wife can drive a manual, and I think that is rather sexy.
-I am not getting any younger, and a stick in Seattle traffic could become a real pain in the years to come

...still on the fence.
Buy both !
Old 11-28-2015, 08:26 AM
360 Spyder
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just got my manual and love it! Very, very smooth shifter and rev matching is super cool. I would consider this car very boring with an auto (loping around at low RPM unless accelerating hard) and not sure paddle shifting would cure it.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:47 AM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

The only sure way is a few hours drive time in each and see which you prefer. Almost impossible, I know. Good news is you wont miss what you never experienced.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:13 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by stepheng
I've had stick corvettes for the past 12 years but I switched to the A8 Z06 this year because it is my daily driver and was fed up doing stick shift in start/stop traffic. But 6000 miles later I've also noticed it is way easier to deal with the horsepower with the auto compared to my old stick shift cars, it is much easier to apply a small amount of throttle from a standing start (particularly valuable on rainy slick roads when you have 650 horsepower on tap)
I have never seen that with an automatic in low grip situations. It is far easier to slip the clutch and start in 2nd or 3rd gear with a manual to get the car moving under those kinds of conditions. If a manual car is moving and you break the rear tires loose on slippery roads by adding a small amount of throttle you are driving in the wrong gear. With an automatic and a high torque engine just putting the car into Drive, Low or Reverse without even touching the throttle can cause the rear wheels to break loose.

Bill
Old 11-28-2015, 10:28 AM
stepheng
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I have never seen that with an automatic in low grip situations. It is far easier to slip the clutch and start in 2nd or 3rd gear with a manual to get the car moving under those kinds of conditions. If a manual car is moving and you break the rear tires loose on slippery roads by adding a small amount of throttle you are driving in the wrong gear. With an automatic and a high torque engine just putting the car into Drive, Low or Reverse without even touching the throttle can cause the rear wheels to break loose.

Bill
Not so far in my experience at least. I've lost the A8 z06 real wheels once (just after I got it) in bad rain just turning out of my road but that was because I applied too much throttle. Since then I was just gentler on the throttle when pulling away and have never lost the rear wheels again even in thunder storms or 32 degree temps. But in my previous manual vettes under the same sorts of conditions I would lose the back wheels more often even starting in higher gear because I needed more throttle to avoid stalling the car when pulling away. But note I have not driven the M7 Z06 so I don't know if that shifter is way easier to pull away from a stop compared to the older generations :-)
Old 11-28-2015, 10:51 AM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

M7 for me as it's my weekend car. Revmatch is awesome. Popping out of gear is a non issue for me.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:22 PM
VictorBarron
Drifting

Received 375 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by JackTripper
M7 for me as it's my weekend car. Revmatch is awesome. Popping out of gear is a non issue for me.
Old 11-28-2015, 05:06 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by JackTripper
Then we love our MGW as well!
Old 11-28-2015, 06:54 PM
sammyv
Drifting

Received 183 Likes on 140 Posts

Once I drove an A8 I had to have one!
Old 11-28-2015, 07:03 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 909 Likes on 606 Posts

A8 all the way. I've been a life long manual guy and still have a 1969 Z/28 with its factory manual. It's fun rowing the gears in the Z/28, but the A8 in my Z51 is super fun in a different way. I love the A8's rev matching ability, super close gear ratios for a short RPM drop between shifts, its burble in between shifts, and its super clean and quick up shifts when at WOT. I honestly thought I would end up being disappointed/bored with the A8, but that's not the case. The more I drive it, the more I love it.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:04 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

I would bet that most of us with the A8 previously had an M6 car.

I would bet that most of us with the M7 previously had an M6 car.

Thus, the people with the A8s have the context to compare, whereas people that have only had M6/M7 cars really don't have a leg to stand on (because they're both busy!).

For the most part, then, the statements are:

"Having had a stick car in the past, I chose the A8 now that it's available and love it"
vs
"I ain't not never changing nuthin 'eceptin for a lot of gears"

(Well, the grammar might be a little biased, but I try to keep these dry and dull points entertaining)

Last edited by davepl; 11-28-2015 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:53 PM
SBKfan
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1

Thus, the people with the A8s have the context to compare, whereas people that have only had M6/M7 cars really don't have a leg to stand on (because they're both busy!).

"Having had a stick car in the past, I chose the A8 now that it's available and love it"
vs

(Well, the grammar might be a little biased, but I try to keep these dry and dull points entertaining)
Drove the A8, didn't care for it. I couldn't imagine having anything other than a manual transmission while driving the TN mountains twisties. But, love the autos while running around in my Audis.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:22 PM
turbo8765
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

vs

I've owned/driven manuals, torque converter auto's, single clutch manumatics (SMG, MCT), sequentials, and different dual clutches.

What does your theory say I should be driving?
Old 11-28-2015, 10:39 PM
DaveN007
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo8765
I've owned/driven manuals, torque converter auto's, single clutch manumatics (SMG, MCT), sequentials, and different dual clutches.

What does your theory say I should be driving?
The one you enjoy the most.

You seem like an M7 guy to me.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:14 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

There are at least hundreds if not thousands of people with issues with the M7. The issue is it's slower. Buy the A8.
If all you did was race the car down the quarter mile and you had to win, then I would agree. Otherwise, the car is meant to be driven and enjoyed. You'll never know it's slower by a tenth or two with an M7, but you'll know you miss shifting if you have the A8.

Michael
Old 11-29-2015, 12:19 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Tork Monster
-My wife can drive a manual, and I think that is rather sexy.
Totally agree that's hot! If I ever get married, if she wants, I'm going to teach her how to drive a manual.

BTW, all my cars are manuals, and I drive LA traffic. In many respects, I think the manuals are nicer. I get more engine braking, so I'm not constantly on the brakes or riding the brakes. It also gives me something to do. Clutches are light on today's manuals.

Michael

Last edited by Michael A; 11-29-2015 at 12:25 AM.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:05 AM
DaveN007
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
If all you did was race the car down the quarter mile and you had to win, then I would agree. Otherwise, the car is meant to be driven and enjoyed. You'll never know it's slower by a tenth or two with an M7, but you'll know you miss shifting if you have the A8.

Michael
I shift more than you do.

I guarantee it.

So I can't miss what I am doing more of than I was before.

The only difference is that my left leg is always braced on the dead pedal.

I do a lot more downshifting, too.

3rd to 2nd always gives a nice satisfying grow at just the right time.

Last edited by DaveN007; 11-29-2015 at 01:07 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To A8 vs 7M

Old 11-29-2015, 02:48 AM
2highpsi
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

I have an M7 - I came from a A6 2009 CTSV.

Loved the A6 at the drag strip for the 2x a year I would go - mostly disliked it on the street, was always doing stuff that I didn't like and was rarely in the gear that I would have chose.

Love the M7 on the street, very fun to drive - even in traffic as I live in SoCal. Miss having an A8 every time I'm at the drag strip, but with that being 2-3 times a year with this car it's really not a big deal.

Both transmissions are really good, you can't really go wrong with either.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:58 AM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Senecagreen
I was in Italy for a week recently. I only saw 2 automatics both were tour buses. Even Mercedes and BMW station wagons were stick shifts. The Italians love to shift gears.

Personally I find stick shifts more fun on the street unless the drive consists of an hour of stop and go traffic
in europe manual is the way of life, not a way of life. autos are considered a luxury option, not standard option like it his here.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:53 AM
turbo8765
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 2highpsi
Both transmissions are really good, you can't really go wrong with either.
True.

Quick Reply: A8 vs 7M