C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Looking for advice on side skirts

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 12:25 PM
SeaIsleZ06
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Looking for advice on side skirts

Hello everyone and Happy Thanksgiving.

I have a Night Race Blue Z06 on order. Non Z07 A8 w/ std pearl nickel wheels. I specifically wanted a Stage 1 car, but now I think I want to add side skirts, which I understand go a long way in protecting the car from stone chips along the sides.

Which skirts to buy??? My first dilemma is whether I want to introduce Carbon Fiber to the car or do I want to stay with Carbon Flash paint. My car will have full length Carbon Flash racing stripes, which are quite subtle on the NRB and I just don't know if I want the new added color.

If I do introduce Carbon Fiber, I will probably go with the APR skirts and the APR Carbon Fiber spats (maybe even hood and side vents eventually). APR stuff is not inexpensive but looks to be excellent quality.

If I keep everything Carbon Flash, which brand skirts (and painted spats for that matter) do you all recommend? Best quality as opposed to lowest price is my primary consideration. Can I buy just the OEM skirts from GM? Would I want to? Everything I saw OEM was the full ground effects package, which I do not want.

I like the idea of keeping everything Carbon Flash, but the Carbon Fiber is very nice. Thanks in advance for everyone's insight and input.
Old 11-26-2015, 01:12 PM
Dellrose
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

I searched every forum on this topic a while ago and saved what I've pasted below as the most valuable. My ZO6 is still pending build, and in the meantime, I've decided to first try Apsis splash guards and Suntek paint protection. I love the Stage 1 look, so I'm hoping the chips won't be overwhelming. We'll see....

Here is what I found to be most informative. There is a ton on the topic in search, so likely a good idea to spend a couple hours to determine what's right for you.

Side skirts

Katech $1600/both
Weapon X $600/each
RPI $1100/$1600 both
GM $2590/both
ACS $519/$719 each
APsis $1300/set

(prices above can vary with finish ordered)

Note: APsis said their splash guards do a much better job of protecting the side of the car then Side Skirts if only one product is used and they sell both.
Old 11-26-2015, 04:33 PM
SeaIsleZ06
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Dellrose
I searched every forum on this topic a while ago and saved what I've pasted below as the most valuable. My ZO6 is still pending build, and in the meantime, I've decided to first try Apsis splash guards and Suntek paint protection. I love the Stage 1 look, so I'm hoping the chips won't be overwhelming. We'll see....

Here is what I found to be most informative. There is a ton on the topic in search, so likely a good idea to spend a couple hours to determine what's right for you.

Side skirts

Katech $1600/both
Weapon X $600/each
RPI $1100/$1600 both
GM $2590/both
ACS $519/$719 each
APsis $1300/set

(prices above can vary with finish ordered)

Note: APsis said their splash guards do a much better job of protecting the side of the car then Side Skirts if only one product is used and they sell both.

Thanks Dellrose. Good luck with your car. I've probably spent about 10 hours so far researching this, so I'm starting to get a good handle on my options. Some of my dilemma is based around aesthetics, which I need to figure out myself.
Old 11-26-2015, 04:39 PM
Dellrose
Instructor

Yah....when the ZO6s came out, my local dealer had a stage 1 and a ZO7 sitting side-by-side on the showroom floor. Maybe this first impression swayed me too much, but without the skirts the overall design seemed to flow better for me. I'll likely wind up screwing the clean design up with bunches of rock chips on the sides, but I'm gonna give it a shot.

Good luck! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:48 PM
VictorBarron
Drifting

Received 375 Likes on 264 Posts

Default Side skirts

Originally Posted by Dellrose
Yah....when the ZO6s came out, my local dealer had a stage 1 and a ZO7 sitting side-by-side on the showroom floor. Maybe this first impression swayed me too much, but without the skirts the overall design seemed to flow better for me. I'll likely wind up screwing the clean design up with bunches of rock chips on the sides, but I'm gonna give it a shot.

Good luck! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.
I fell in love with the Aero 2 package at first sight. Great looks and protection.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:21 PM
Dellrose
Instructor

Originally Posted by VictorBarron
I fell in love with the Aero 2 package at first sight. Great looks and protection.
Thus is the nature of works of art which sports cars certainly are. Your first impression can define your opinion long term. When you hear a song for the first time, you usually know within the first 30 seconds if you like it. A Vette certainly isn't a grocery getting basic transportation affair. From every angle and aspect of a performance car, Chevy nailed it on this one.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:36 PM
docf
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I went with Katech carbon fiber skirts on my stage one. I did not pay anywhere near 1600 as someone quoted you in a former post. Very satisfied with the shirts, the carbon fiber layup and appearence. The stone guards( front wheelwells) will only be minimally effective Vs stone chips. The addition of the skirts will probably reduce stone hips to about 98 %. There is still the areas below the fuel door ( both sides) that is vulnerable hence the need for X-pel or your choice.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:44 PM
petecaballero
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I can vouch for Weapon X quality. All my parts are carbon fiber.

Here is mine.

The following users liked this post:
DRLC5 (11-29-2015)

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for advice on side skirts

Quick Reply: Looking for advice on side skirts