C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Interior heat

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 02:05 AM
Sunny_M3
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Interior heat

Hey there my fellow Corvette fans, I noticed a large amount of warmth from underneath my steering wheel and near my pedals while driving for long periods of time. It was slightly uncomfortable and wanted to know if anyone else has experienced it? If so, is it normal and/or should I be concerned?
Old 11-26-2015, 02:17 AM
LiftHeavy
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine does it as well, that motor just produces a huge amount of heat, like some have made the comment that their blowers are still hot hours after driving, mine included. I am sure you could find a way to insulate it better if it bothers you enough.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:28 AM
fpfaeth
Burning Brakes

Received 422 Likes on 194 Posts

These guys and their products are supposed to be superior and should help you address your problem. I don't have the same problem you mentioned, but, oddly, my driver's side door handle gets warm! Not the same on the passenger's side.

Try this link: http://www.thermotec.com/products/all.html

Frank
Old 11-26-2015, 10:36 AM
0NORCAL-SS
Former Vendor

Received 328 Likes on 232 Posts

I ceramic coated my exhaust big differenceeeee
Old 11-26-2015, 11:22 AM
funz06
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by NORCAL-SS
I ceramic coated my exhaust big differenceeeee
NORCAL-SS,

I have never heard of anything like this before----not surprising as there is so much I have never come across. If you find the time, could you please elaborate------it sounds like something I would be interested trying out. What is the specific product; can it withstand the heat; have you had success with it before; how is it applied; etc., etc.---anything and everything would be helpful?

Thanks.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:16 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

OP - it's normal.

And, just to make you feel better, it's much improved over the C6 - in which I think I could cook eggs on the floor or in the center console.
The following users liked this post:
DSOMonster (11-30-2015)
Old 11-26-2015, 12:19 PM
VictorBarron
Drifting

Received 375 Likes on 264 Posts

Put your environmental control on floor air and dial your temperature down. It will blow cold without the air conditioner on.

Last edited by VictorBarron; 11-26-2015 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:19 PM
0NORCAL-SS
Former Vendor

Received 328 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by funz06
NORCAL-SS,

I have never heard of anything like this before----not surprising as there is so much I have never come across. If you find the time, could you please elaborate------it sounds like something I would be interested trying out. What is the specific product; can it withstand the heat; have you had success with it before; how is it applied; etc., etc.---anything and everything would be helpful?

Thanks.
Heat resistant coating bakes on.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...project-3.html

Last edited by NORCAL-SS; 11-26-2015 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:46 PM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by VictorBarron
Put your environmental control on floor air and dial your temperature down. It will blow cold without the air conditioner on.

Although the light on the A/C does not come on, you will find that the A/C is on. Tried that and found the air to be cool alright but the A/C compressor I could hear running.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:45 PM
funz06
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by NORCAL-SS
Thank you---I will red through the thread............quick read---WOW, some project you are undertaking...........you are one clever guy.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:44 AM
Dabigsnake
Pro

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunny_M3
Hey there my fellow Corvette fans, I noticed a large amount of warmth from underneath my steering wheel and near my pedals while driving for long periods of time. It was slightly uncomfortable and wanted to know if anyone else has experienced it? If so, is it normal and/or should I be concerned?
There is a GM TSB (technical service bulletin) on HVAC control. Had mine reprogramed and it still has some warm air coming through the dash area somewhere. Like there is an opening in the firewall or a leaking within the ducts in the dash. God luck, you are not alone. I wouldn't bother with heat shields etc. Your dealer should handle it, this is not a freakin Vega
Old 11-27-2015, 06:26 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBSZ06
Although the light on the A/C does not come on, you will find that the A/C is on. Tried that and found the air to be cool alright but the A/C compressor I could hear running.
Bob,

Some of the recent GM climate control systems turn on the A/C compressor when the temperature is set to minimum even though A/C is set to off but not when the temp is set to a couple of degrees above the minimum so you might try that if your controls are set to the lowest setting. It may also behave differently if the driver and passenger temp are not synched.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:33 PM
CONMAX
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Yeah, heat is normal and forces running A/C much of the time. Even the driving schools, like spring Mountain, run A/C most of time.

Saps a little HP, but with the great cornering ability, should not affect times.

Only exception is the drags. Leaving the A/C will cost you a tenth. Best to use ice bags between rounds on the intake.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:06 AM
Busa Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 107 Posts

Very normal---gets ugly in the summer driving from Texas to Florida. The shield on the bottom of the car that covers most of the exhaust system lets it cook your rear. If it were not for the ventilated seats (with ac on bi level) it would not be something I could drive in for 18 hours at a time in..
Old 11-30-2015, 10:46 AM
DSOMonster
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
OP - it's normal.

And, just to make you feel better, it's much improved over the C6 - in which I think I could cook eggs on the floor or in the center console.

OnPoint, your post made me laugh out loud at my desk for a few seconds!

Maybe not scrambling eggs, but hot nontheless! I had WCC install the Crazy Cowboy insulation on the C6. WCC will perform a full Dynamat insulation job on the C7 ZO6 at the end of the year.

I want to say one thing...I did not perform this mod due to interior cabin heat. I am no longer a spring chicken and have found out I like the Cadillac interior where Class and Quiet reigns supreme. Sure I love the exhaust note, but I can roll down the window! After owning a Caddy XTS, I can't see me going back to my old Camaro days, where it was ALL ABOUT exhaust notes, thumping audio systems and big smoky burnouts. Man, I do miss those days.

WCC states the Dynamat project will cut down on cabin noise and heat which will make the Wife happy! Now the girlfriend, on the other hand... LOL

I will also be installing a Corsa X-Pipe and thinking about having the pipe wrapped or coated and having the tunnel re-insulated??? I haven't gotten that far yet.

Will post pics when the insulation project is complete.

Last edited by DSOMonster; 11-30-2015 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:46 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
Bob,

Some of the recent GM climate control systems turn on the A/C compressor when the temperature is set to minimum even though A/C is set to off but not when the temp is set to a couple of degrees above the minimum so you might try that if your controls are set to the lowest setting. It may also behave differently if the driver and passenger temp are not synched.

And....unfortunately if one does what you say, you will not get the cool air out of the lower vents, but warm/hot air just like the upper vents when the A/C is off.

Its either A/C on and cool (just right) air or A/C off and warm/hot air.

Get notified of new replies

To Interior heat

Quick Reply: Interior heat